Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STS-130 Endeavour 6/2/2010

Options
  • 03-12-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭

Right so,back on track with the next mission to the ISS. This mission will bring the Tranquility node to the ISS and will consist of 3 EVAs. I've put the launch date down for February 6th even though NASA still say February 4th. From what i can gather there's a range conflict which will bump STS-130 down a couple of days to the 6th.
    jsc2009e242830.jpg
    sts130-s-001.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Endeavour is due to rollover from the OPF to the VAB in the next couple of weeks to be mated with her ET&SRBs. She'll spend christmas in the VAB and will roll out to 39a early in the new year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    Endeavour is due to rollover from the OPF to the VAB in the next couple of weeks to be mated with her ET&SRBs. She'll spend christmas in the VAB and will roll out to 39a early in the new year.
    Good man LL!!!! now we're off again at last:) Roll on STS-130!

Launch looks like the 7th of February now. Rollover looks set for December 12th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

By the way LL good to see your a member of L2 aswell. Its the only place to be!:)

Beeker wrote: »
    By the way LL good to see your a member of L2 aswell. Its the only place to be!:)

The 2hour re-entry video of STS-115 and STS-112 ascent was worth the subscription alone imo. :)

• Advertisement

Rather than start a new thread i'll just throw this in here. NASA held an in-house competition to mark the end of the Shuttle programme. They asked NASA employees to design a patch to mark the end of the shuttle programme. It won't be a mission patch but the winning design will get flown on one of the 5 remaining flights. Obviously it's an internal competition but 2 designs have made their way online. Here they are:
    news-120409b.jpg
    news-120409c.jpg

My favourite is the first one,5 shuttles marking the 5 orbiters that flew the programme and 14 stars representing the 14 astronauts who lost their lives on Challenger&Columbia. It also includes the 2 things the shuttle will be remembered for,Hubble and the ISS.

Rather than start a new thread i'll just throw this in here. NASA held an in-house competition to mark the end of the Shuttle programme. They asked NASA employees to design a patch to mark the end of the shuttle programme. It won't be a mission patch but the winning design will get flown on one of the 5 remaining flights. Obviously it's an internal competition but 2 designs have made their way online. Here they are:
    news-120409b.jpg
    news-120409c.jpg

My favourite is the first one,5 shuttles marking the 5 orbiters that flew the programme and 14 stars representing the 14 astronauts who lost their lives on Challenger&Columbia. It also includes the 2 things the shuttle will be remembered for,Hubble and the ISS.
    I agree the first one looks the best!

By the way we may get one extra flight STS-135/Atlantis:) Fingers crossed.
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/12/nasa-evaluating-sts-135-addition-to-shuttle-manifest/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

news-120409b.jpg
    news-120409c.jpg

Dont know if its the colouring , layout etc LL but id go with the 2nd one ;)

Since its xmas time , just off topic , i thought id let you know of this fantastic link for anyone with kids , or even for the adults too ...........enjoy :P:pac:

Get Santa to send the kids a personal video message from the north pole you can upload the childs foto and it shows up on the video lol

http://portablenorthpole.tv/home/

Sorry if its off topic guys , but thoughts some here would like it ! :D

By the way we may get one extra flight STS-135/Atlantis:) Fingers crossed.
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/12/nasa-evaluating-sts-135-addition-to-shuttle-manifest/

My baby,erm.... Atlantis may get to see out the programme!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Nice close-up of the TPS around Endeavours cockpit:
    153212main_tiles-m.jpg

Stargate wrote: »
    Since its xmas time , just off topic , i thought id let you know of this fantastic link for anyone with kids , or even for the adults too ...........enjoy :P:pac:

Get Santa to send the kids a personal video message from the north pole you can upload the childs foto and it shows up on the video lol

http://portablenorthpole.tv/home/

Sorry if its off topic guys , but thoughts some here would like it ! :D
    Mine too old for that now but try this also http://www.noradsanta.org/
    Great fun on christmas eve as you track Santa around the world. My little one used to love this a few years back.:)

Mine too old for that now but try this also http://www.noradsanta.org/
    Great fun on christmas eve as you track Santa around the world. My little one used to love this a few years back.:)

Dublin Airport normally have Rudolph1 or something like that on the arrivals section online and aertel on xmas eve for midnight.:D:D

My baby,erm.... Atlantis may get to see out the programme!!:D:D:D

Leo , if she does , you will have to take a few of us with you :P
    Your not allowed to go over to the launch site alone , NEW forum rules Leo ;-)

Looks like Endeavour will rollover to the VAB tomorrow evening. Launch date appears to be up in the air right now,we'll have to wait for the FRR in january to get an idea of when she'll go.

Anyone else watching Endeavours rollover to the VAB?:p:p

2009-6749-m.jpg

2009-6748-m.jpg

2009-6751-m.jpg

2009-6746-m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Endeavour looks quite old and slightly haggard now...

The white tiles are unforgiving in terms of how they look. NASA say they're too expensive/time consuming to change just for cosmetic reasons.

• Advertisement

The white tiles are unforgiving in terms of how they look. NASA say they're too expensive/time consuming to change just for cosmetic reasons.
    That's fair enough. As long the tiles function as good as new, fresh looking tired that's grand. It's the amazing the heat of re-entry can have on the blackness of them! It's like they've been sandblasted (which probably the may well have been with the speed of the air hitting them)...

But it's not only that...the nose engine nossels look old, areas around the rearengines look discoloured. The white is not sheen. They're scratchs. The shuttle fleet looks tired. It's looking at pics up close like this with revealing lighting you really realise why they're being retired.

jumpguy wrote: »
    That's fair enough. As long the tiles function as good as new, fresh looking tired that's grand. It's the amazing the heat of re-entry can have on the blackness of them! It's like they've been sandblasted (which probably the may well have been with the speed of the air hitting them)...

But it's not only that...the nose engine nossels look old, areas around the rearengines look discoloured. The white is not sheen. They're scratchs. The shuttle fleet looks tired. It's looking at pics up close like this with revealing lighting you really realise why they're being retired.

There's lots of discolouration that you can only see up close. They do a full review and repair job on the orbiters when they return from a mission and only if something is broken/damaged and risks flight safety will they change it. Maybe if the shuttle was around for another 10 years they may pay more attention to it cosmetically but with the programme in wind down mode they'll have to soldier on as they are.

The shuttles main engines will be re-used after the shuttle retires so they may need some reconditioning,they won't remain on the orbiters when they go to the museums.

There's lots of discolouration that you can only see up close. They do a full review and repair job on the orbiters when they return from a mission and only if something is broken/damaged and risks flight safety will they change it. Maybe if the shuttle was around for another 10 years they may pay more attention to it cosmetically but with the programme in wind down mode they'll have to soldier on as they are.

The shuttles main engines will be re-used after the shuttle retires so they may need some reconditioning,they won't remain on the orbiters when they go to the museums.
    What could the engines be reused for? Will all the orbiters go to museums (would be savage)?

jumpguy wrote: »
    What could the engines be reused for? Will all the orbiters go to museums (would be savage)?

NASA said they'd sell the orbiters to any interested museums provided they met certain criteria(how they'll be displayed/stored etc.). Iirc there was a figure of $42m per orbiter being mentioned. Last i heard the British science museum were interested in buying Endeavour.

NASA said they'd sell the orbiters to any interested museums provided they met certain criteria(how they'll be displayed/stored etc.). Iirc there was a figure of $42m per orbiter being mentioned. Last i heard the British science museum were interested in buying Endeavour.
    I'm making room in my garage as we speak:D

I'm taking Atlantis for my back garden,i'll throw an STS party when she arrives!:p:p

Continuing on from the post about commorative patches for the shuttle programme in the 1st page,here's a few more that have surfaced.
    sspcommpatch01.jpg
    sspcommpatch01.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-01_R1_400x311.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-02a_R2d_400x311.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-03_R2d_311x400.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-04_R1c_320x366.jpg

Continuing on from the post about commorative patches for the shuttle programme in the 1st page,here's a few more that have surfaced.
    sspcommpatch01.jpg
    sspcommpatch01.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-01_R1_400x311.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-02a_R2d_400x311.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-03_R2d_311x400.jpg
    Space-Shuttle-Commemorative-30-years_concept-04_R1c_320x366.jpg
    Some beauties there!

They ( British science museum ) can afford that LL on ONE item ? They Must have a fairly large money vault in that building in South Kensington full to the brim :D

• Advertisement

Beeker is a trillion zillionaire , " show me the money " :eek:

Advertisement