Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-130 Endeavour 6/2/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

irishgeo wrote: »
    on of my lifetime aims was to see a night time launch in florida

guess its not going to happen.

any chance of us seeing this launch in ireland?

really enjoyed the last one.

Sadly not a hope as Sunrise will be long before launch time in Ireland.
    in 2009 for the first time i saw the Shuttle with its Orange tank trailing behind it approx 17 mins after watching it launch live from Florida via the net,
    Something i will never forget.

Plenty of opportunities for You to see the ISS thogh before it retires again truly stunning to see.
    I dont know but after STS-130 there are 4 Shuttles left,may'be one of them will launch at a viewable time in Ireland?
    best hope would be STS-133 due for launch in Septembor{Its complicated 133 will be the last although there will be a 134!
    Boardsies are great for giving viewing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ynotdu wrote: »
    What happens if a compelling LON happens after the reirement?:(
    IMO they should have kept one Orbiter in some way available since(thankfully)they now have the ISS until 2020.

They're saying that it would take exceptional circumstances to add STS-335 to the manifest. The idea was that they'd have the Russians have a Soyuz on standby for STS-135(assuming it had been baselined as a mission). Maybe they'll ask the Russians to be on standby for STS-133,the final mission in september?!

Another pity is that a crew misses out on a final flight on an Orbiter.:(

Sadly not a hope as Sunrise will be long before launch time in Ireland.
    in 2009 for the first time i saw the Shuttle with its Orange tank trailing behind it approx 17 mins after watching it launch live from Florida via the net,
    Something i will never forget.

What a night,never seen the A&S boards here so busy as people who normally pay no attention to the skies were amazed at Endeavour speeding across the sky.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    They're saying that it would take exceptional circumstances to add STS-335 to the manifest. The idea was that they'd have the Russians have a Soyuz on standby for STS-135(assuming it had been baselined as a mission). Maybe they'll ask the Russians to be on standby for STS-133,the final mission in september?!

Another pity is that a crew misses out on a final flight on an Orbiter.:(

The idea of LON supported by Soyuz for some reason seemed clutching at straws to me,like what if the Russians had a disaster that grounded their fleet,even without that there is now a hugh call for Soyuz,how many can be produced to specs in a single year?

at least all going to plan{touch's wood}NASA,s Astronauts will have all been into Space at Shuttle retirement!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

The idea of LON supported by Soyuz for some reason seemed clutching at straws to me,like what if the Russians had a disaster that grounded their fleet,even without that there is now a hugh call for Soyuz,how many can be produced to specs in a single year?

at least all going to plan{touch's wood}NASA,s Astronauts will have all been into Space at Shuttle retirement!:)
    Main problem after Shuttle retirement is if we have a Soyuz problem that grounds it. Now you have no Way up and maybe no way back if the problem is with the landing system:eek:

• Advertisement

Beeker wrote: »
    Main problem after Shuttle retirement is if we have a Soyuz problem that grounds it. Now you have no Way up and maybe no way back if the problem is with the landing system:eek:

Exactly Beeker,Short term thinking all round and NOTHING in the new plan that is more than asperational:(

Exactly Beeker,Short term thinking all round and NOTHING in the new plan that is more than asperational:(

Part of the problem with the new outlook is there's no fixed goals.IE. We're going to the Moon or We're going to Mars. Nasa spent years after launching the Shuttle trying to figure out what exactly they were going to do with it. Some science experiments did little to excite people,it was only the advent of the plan to build the ISS that finally gave it its mission and objective.

I think it's fair to say we've conquered LEO,it's time to go beyond our own orbit again. While a mission to the Moon may seem a bit stupid as we've been before on a number of occasions i think it would excite a new generation and give a new impetus to going further EG. Mars.

LL no less a person than Buzz Aldrin agree's with You there,basicly on Many interviews during the celebrations of Apollo 11 he said time and time again that "We have been to the Moon" our goal should be to Go beyond there"

I keep hearing about this 'helioum 3' available on the Moon, supposedly harnessed properly is a hugh source of generating energy.

I do not know if it is fact or fiction,wish a physcitist was on this thread to clarify it.

Takes a while to load but worth watching.:)

http://en.tackfilm.se/?id=1265211230985RA78

• Advertisement

Excellant link LL, it seems even if a way is found to mine Heliun3 from the Moon,it will be more dangerous than even our current Nucleur waste!:(

besides the other Space powers India declared during the week it intends to put a man in Space by 2016-2018 and as we know China and Russia already have.

Reading the link it seems Obama is proably right to not worry about He3 being 'harvested' before America's Space programme can be back up there with the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Been away for a while setting up my new apartment and familiarising myself with my new research role. Is this launch still set for 9.39GMT on the 7th? That's what's in my phone reminder at least!

Kevin

Takes a while to load but worth watching.:)

http://en.tackfilm.se/?id=1265211230985RA78

Lol LL,It was worth the loading time!
    Weird as it is,it seems You could slip a Shuttle into the pet issues forum!:)

Kevster wrote: »
    Been away for a while setting up my new apartment and familiarising myself with my new research role. Is this launch still set for 9.39GMT on the 7th? That's what's in my phone reminder at least!

Kevin

Yep,spot on Kevster. Going to enjoy every minute of these last few launches. How's things with your good self?

Lol LL,It was worth the loading time!
    Weird as it is,it seems You could slip a Shuttle into the pet issues forum!:)

I've no idea how that video came about,it's well funny though.:)

Kevster wrote: »

Kevin

Yayyyyyyyy Kevster,good to hear from You:)
    Yes its first chance is as You said but they try put the launch in the middle of the launch window{which is 10 minutes for Endevour on Sunday morning, so no harm to tune in a few minutes earlior,it has been known to happen that weather has made them 'tweak' the lift-off time within the launch window.

Thankfully,Tribalelectrafacation is not an issue with the STS:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yayyyyyyyy Kevster,good to hear from You:)
    Yes its first chance is as You said but they try put the launch in the middle of the launch window{which is 10 minutes for Endevour on Sunday morning, so no harm to tune in a few minutes earlior,it has been known to happen that weather has made them 'tweak' the lift-off time within the launch window.

Thankfully,Tribalelectrafacation is not an issue with the STS:)

Bugger, I just realised that's the day my parents are flying over! They probably have the early flight into East Midlands too, annoyingly. Ah well, not to worry, there'll be more launches (but not many... ... ).

RSS Retract starting in a few minutes.

05sts130_400225.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

RSS Retract starting in a few minutes.
    Watching it on NASA TV:)

• Advertisement

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19996.0;attach=195242;image

Watching it on NASA TV:)

Ditto.:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19996.0;attach=195250;image

She looks gorgeous.:)

She looks gorgeous.:)
    Oh yeah! Thats my baby:)

Next milestone is tanking at midnight. Getting just a little excited now.:D

Next milestone is tanking at midnight. Getting just a little excited now.:D
    Same here I plan to savour every minute of the last 5 flight:)

Same here I plan to savour every minute of the last 5 flight:)

Yeah,these events will never happen again,going to enjoy every minute of the remaining missions.:)

Sorry a bit late for the tip but just heard myself.
    The TV channel Discovery Science is devoting the day and some of after midnight to the STS.

• Advertisement

If anyone is up in the morning early {like us who have to work:(} the ISS will pass over at 07:08, clear skies hopefully.:)

Advertisement