Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

just came across this thread, so i hope you do not mind a few comments.

as a member of a Lodge for the past 20 odd years I am sure Yekahs will have a positive experience.

Advice I would offer is to get a handle on the ages, and interests of members of the Lodge he wishes to join, (by the way, you do not apply you are invited to join). Many lodges especially in Dublin have predominately retired( i.e over 65 ) members.

It can be difficult to find common interests if the age profile does not match.

The Ritual is interesting and he can progress through the varoius offices within the Lodge, by memorising Ritual for each office

Don't expect the meetings to be much different from other Socities, minutes of meetings, financial updates, upcoming events, and usual boring committee stuff.

Most interesting part I found was travel, its possible to turn up at a Masonic Hall anywhere and attend a meeting, I have attended meetings in New york, London, various other UK cities, South Africa, and of course all over Ireland. Thats a great way to meet people in places you are visiting, you will be most welcome, and as a visitor will be well looked after.

charity is an inportant part of the organisation, a collection is made at each meeting, and yearly there are special events to raise funds.

Ignore all the conspiricy stuff, posted here, it can be a rewarding experience, but do not expect membership to improve your prospects in business, it does not work that way .

Good Luck

Thanks for the post Martin. Its pretty much in line with what I had been expecting. I am looking forward to joining, provided I don't get any black stones!

Actually I enquired about the age profile, and it seems to be relatively young. There are a few members in their 20s and 30s.

You mentioned travelling to the US. Was it an Irish lodge in America? Or an American one? As far as I was aware, the freemasonry practiced here and in America are slightly different?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Don't forget the Irish addition princeofparma

On a more serious note, they're some amazing claims I'm sure you'll happily share your reliable source

• Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Gillo wrote: »

On a more serious note, they're some amazing claims I'm sure you'll happily share your reliable source

Very insightful, thanks for your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

yekahs wrote: »
    Thanks for the post Martin. Its pretty much in line with what I had been expecting. I am looking forward to joining, provided I don't get any black stones!

Actually I enquired about the age profile, and it seems to be relatively young. There are a few members in their 20s and 30s.

You mentioned travelling to the US. Was it an Irish lodge in America? Or an American one? As far as I was aware, the freemasonry practiced here and in America are slightly different?

Black Balled, hope you get none of those.

Good to hear the age profile is falling.

I was in New York, and at a loose end one evening, so I looked up the address of the local lodge and turned up.

Yes different constitutions of Freemasonary practise different ritual, but a lot of similarities, you will be welcome in any regularly constituted lodge, dont expect to find or attend a meeting of P2, if it exists.

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭princeofparma

Gillo wrote: »

I'm only joking.
    But I read a wackjob book by two supposed freemasons named Knight and Lomas who wrote a book called The Second Messiah and another book called 'Uriel's Machine' - they claim all our scientific knowledge came from aliens or ancient civilsation like Atlantis.:D
    I'm a fan of nutjobs but this stuff really was ingeniusly delusional.
    They basically claim that the 'second' messiah was actually Jacque De Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar who they claim is the figure on the Turin Shroud - they claim he was nailed to a door and left draped with a shroud in a mockery of an occult freemasonry ritual about resurrection and being born to new life or some gibberish.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

"Freemasons" isn't a registered trademark, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Black

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ok, if you were joking Princeofparma, I'll happily retrack the sarcastic post, the problem you find if you genuinely get people who believe the likes of that (it's true though it's in the internet).

As for Knight & Lomas, I've read some of their stuff and yeah off the wall, although some could make sense the like of the Turin Shroud, I mean they put forward as good an arguement as any Christian claiming it is Jesus but a lot of their other stuff is very hard to digest.

Yekahs, speaking from experience you've nothing to worrying about on the night you join, just relax and enjoy the experience. I joined over five years ago at this stage and love it. One piece of advice though it's very easy to read up on the ritual and know what to expect, don't do that it's a much better experience if you don't know what to expect.

Welcome aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just came across this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7octwsoi4HM&feature=player_embedded

Can any of masons here confirm or deny this practice of chipping children:confused:

Certainly, some members of masonic groups operate as pedophile rings.
    I'm not claiming all members are pedophiles but there's no denying many pedophiles are part of the freemasons.

If you want an example, watch "Conspiracy of Silence"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Black

Any chance you could elaboarte on the post please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Can any of masons here confirm or deny this practice of chipping children

Certainly, some members of masonic groups operate as pedophile rings.
    I'm not claiming all members are pedophiles but there's no denying many pedophiles are part of the freemasons.

If you want an example, watch "Conspiracy of Silence"

guess your a mason then.

i know a football manager locally who was done for pedohilia.im not saying that all football managers are pedophiles but theres no denying that many football coachs are pedophiles.

insert any organisation in there and id say that you will find a case of pedofilia in there history with at least one of there memebers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yeah, since when did ''chipping'' involve pedophilia. Its micro chipping, as in storing info/data.

freemasonary groups usually consist of people in powerful and influential positions within society so clearly I'm not a freemason.

The signature is just a little joke of mine with someone on the forum here.

judges, solicitors, police, town council members, bank managers... and you'll also notice that most are men, they will have power to make decisions in the interest of their members.

the story of Holly Greig in scotland is a good example of freemasons at work to protect each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Can I ask, of anyone that is a member, why would or why did you join ?

I've known many a freemason from my last job and travels, all fine individuals.

I was invited to join a few times not just from those that were freemasons in Ireland either, but politely declined every time as I didn't see any point to it at all.

Apart from the selfish nature of promoting oneself among the organisation itself or the need to find out what they really are and what their purpose is, is there any other real reason that you joined or are wanting to join them ?

(...if that last question actually comes up as part of their application process, I assure you I have no knowledge of same!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

any update on your membership yekahs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Freemason have absolute power in many countries around the world. They are not subject to the laws that govern society, they create these laws in the first place. Freemasonry is the government which governs the government, so to speak. Freemasonry has 90 ranks (degrees) from Apprentice (1) to Absolute Sovereign Grand Master, Supreme Power of the Order, and Chief of the Fourth Series (90). This information is taken directly from the Encyclopedia of Freemasonry:

http://books.google.ie/books?id=GUS5-9IouBIC&pg=PA673&lpg=PA673&dq=jubala+freemasons&source=bl&ots=5jgaVYBS7J&sig=K5ux097xRIb8NgVuCtlQPykNyQs&hl=en&ei=O3HZTPurHsK4jAf76YmaCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Freemasons will say that their origins go back to the building of King Solomon's temple, but they go back further to ancient Egypt and the building of the Great Pyramids. They carry on many of the occult rituals of the Egyptian, Phoenician, and Hebrew religions (cults). Their "Great Architect of the Universe" is Jahbulon, an amalgamation of the Hebrew god Yahweh (Jah), the Phoenician god Ba'al (Bul), and the Egyptian god Osiris (On). This can be seen in their kabbalistic use of numerology, their obsession with the obelisk (the phallic symbol of Osiris' lost penis) and other Egyptian symbolism, and the rituals associated with the Phoenician god Moloch at Bohemian Grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Freemason have absolute power in many countries around the world. They are not subject to the laws that govern society, they create these laws in the first place. Freemasonry is the government which governs the government, so to speak.

I can't wait for you to back that statement up.

meglome wrote: »
    I can't wait for you to back that statement up.

Propaganda Due, one of many covert lodges around the world. The vast majority of Freemasons never attain higher rank than Master Mason. I've shown you that there are 87 more ranks beyond Master Mason. Only those masons who rise through the ranks of politics and business are allowed to rise in the ranks of Freemasonry, yet they are always subservient to the Absolute Sovereign Grand Master. You obviously know very little about Freemasonry so I can't really understand your skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Anyone here pick up on the fact that Ollie went to the European Commission building on Molesworth Street. Wonder what other little clubhouses are around there... just geographically speaking of course. ;)

• Advertisement

Kernel wrote: »
    Anyone here pick up on the fact that Ollie went to the European Commission building on Molesworth Street. Wonder what other little clubhouses are around there... just geographically speaking of course. ;)

Buswells Hotel? ;)

I asked you could you back-up this statement.
    Freemason have absolute power in many countries around the world. They are not subject to the laws that govern society, they create these laws in the first place. Freemasonry is the government which governs the government, so to speak.

You replied with this.
    Propaganda Due, one of many covert lodges around the world. The vast majority of Freemasons never attain higher rank than Master Mason. I've shown you that there are 87 more ranks beyond Master Mason. Only those masons who rise through the ranks of politics and business are allowed to rise in the ranks of Freemasonry, yet they are always subservient to the Absolute Sovereign Grand Master. You obviously know very little about Freemasonry so I can't really understand your skepticism.

Which doesn't actually address what I asked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Oh some of the comments on this thread are hilarious. 'Porch mason' indeed. I think people keep getting the Illuminati conspiracy theory, and the reality of Masonry confused.

Enjoy Yekahs, first isn't too bad. The sandwiches at the end will probably be scarier :)

I think people keep getting the Illuminati conspiracy theory, and the reality of Masonry confused.

Or perhaps you don't understand the reality of masonry? ;)

Eh ... yeah. The wonderful world of the conspiracy theory :

CT'er : You're out to control the world!!
    Mason : Most of us are old, we're out to control our bladders.

And on and on and on. It's like boy scouts for grown ups. People get together, have a bit of fun, then go for coffee and cakes, and then go home. There's bugger all sinister about it, despite people wanting there to be. Considering how much of the ritual has been published online these days (And not the lunatic dissections of half truths), and the fact that all meetings are published, I'm not entirely sure what's left to hide TBH.

Either which way, it's genuinely hilarious - and I mean hilarious to the point where your ribs hurt from laughing - to read some of the 'facts' being touted on here to try and push the square peg of Masonry into the Triangular hole of the Conspiracy Theory. Even when you guys ask questions, and they're answered openly by members, it just frustrates you and you go on to try and put forward another ill informed point. What's the point in asking questions if you'll only listen to the answers you like?

Eh ... yeah. The wonderful world of the conspiracy theory :

CT'er : You're out to control the world!!
    Mason : Most of us are old, we're out to control our bladders.

And on and on and on. It's like boy scouts for grown ups. People get together, have a bit of fun, then go for coffee and cakes, and then go home. There's bugger all sinister about it, despite people wanting there to be. Considering how much of the ritual has been published online these days (And not the lunatic dissections of half truths), and the fact that all meetings are published, I'm not entirely sure what's left to hide TBH.

Either which way, it's genuinely hilarious - and I mean hilarious to the point where your ribs hurt from laughing - to read some of the 'facts' being touted on here to try and push the square peg of Masonry into the Triangular hole of the Conspiracy Theory. Even when you guys ask questions, and they're answered openly by members, it just frustrates you and you go on to try and put forward another ill informed point. What's the point in asking questions if you'll only listen to the answers you like?

Are you a Freemason?

Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. The logic problem with the whole thing, is that as a 'secret' organisation, knowledge is only given when you progress or ascend. Like a pyramid (;)) scheme with only the one on top knowing the full facts. Unless you are that person then you cannot really speak of the intentions of the fraternity. Is this not true? :)

No problem admitting it, and I've said before on boards.

No problem admitting it, and I've said before on boards.

Could you explain to us the symbolism presented in the following tracing board? It's the first board for entered apprentices so you should have some knowledge of it.

McL_masonic1.jpg

• Advertisement

Kernel wrote: »
    Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. The logic problem with the whole thing, is that as a 'secret' organisation, knowledge is only given when you progress or ascend. Like a pyramid (;)) scheme with only the one on top knowing the full facts. Unless you are that person then you cannot really speak of the intentions of the fraternity. Is this not true? :)

No, not really. You're wrong from the get go, it's not a secret organisation. When you join Masonry, you're free to ask any question you want. Actually, even before hand, you're entitled to ask anything. With any degree, first, or even with the higher degrees, the only 'knowledge given' is the the way to tell if someone's a member of that degree, it other words, the funny twisty under the leg over the shoulder handshake, and the number of knocks signifying that degree. Anything else, you can walk into a library, or waterstones and pick up a book on the matter and as long as it's written by Masons, it'll be factual for the purpose of educating other Masons.

Again, I'm not getting the whole conspiracy theory part of it. I'm really not. Have you stood outside a Lodge building when a meeting's over? The people shuffling out aren't exactly the richest of the rich, or the best dressed, or even necessarily the best educated - if the order was one of self promotion, or promised financial rewards and benefits, surely we wouldn't have pensioners barely able to afford the coats on their backs?

Advertisement