Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Cool...what are the main benefits of that over natural?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lower carb, if you get the right brand(s). You could possibly try grating or chopping the chocolate to make less go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Lidl's Greek yoghurt is something like 10g fat per 100g, 2.8g carbs per 100g. It's so tasty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Just made bone marrow stock there, got a tonne of beef bones from a butcher in the English market for a fiver (still with plenty of eating between the ribs etc.), boiled them down for 3-4 hours, added 2 lbs of stewing beef, loads of carrots, swede and potato, a few veggie stock cubes and some fresh sage and rosemary, Yum! Although I am stunned at how much fat has come from the bones, I'm very slightly disturbed by it in fact... but not enough to stop me adding a few tbs of butter on top of my bowl! :D Anyone want to link me some info on just how nutritious bone stock is? I need motivation to keep doing it as it's actually a fair bit of effort and I've no freezer to store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Renn wrote: »
    Almond flour (1kg) €8.50
    Whole almonds (800g) €7.95
    Cashew nuts (300g) €3.95
    Desiccated coconut (500g) €1.95
    Coconut flour (800g) €4.85
    Coconut chips (125g) €1.20

Still trying to figure out if I got a good deal or not :/
    Seems decent prices, where did you get it? Holland & barret can have offers sometimes, Asian shops can have nuts very cheap. I got east end brand coconut flour cheap in the asian shop in dublins blackrock market.

Saw this crazy poster in a pub :eek::confused:
    Grove%27sTonic.jpg

• Advertisement

Haha :D

Got all the stuff in the Asian food market btw

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

That poster's from a time when most people had stomach parasites so getting too thin was a real problem, either that or you had the consumption.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Like iv said before i have been taking a nice dosage of D3 since March and just a few days ago bought magnesium to take from reading i was inspired to do from reading El D's posts.

Anyway - iv noticed that im actually sleeping much better since taking it. I know there's some evidence to show it helps with sleep. With some new working patterns lately my training has been later in the day like at 9, 10pm at night - some hard runs in there. As a result, my sleep pattern was a bit jumbled, sleeping an hour later than i usually would, waking throughout the night a little and more tired the next day but since taking magnesium (im using the spray on on your body/in your mouth version and spraying it right after i shower before bed) once i nod off i conk and have been waking up feeling great - fully undisturbed peace.

Is this a side effect of the magnesium? Much better sleep? Placebo effect maybe?

ULstudent wrote: »
    Like iv said before i have been taking a nice dosage of D3 since March and just a few days ago bought magnesium to take from reading i was inspired to do from reading El D's posts.

Anyway - iv noticed that im actually sleeping much better since taking it. I know there's some evidence to show it helps with sleep. With some new working patterns lately my training has been later in the day like at 9, 10pm at night - some hard runs in there. As a result, my sleep pattern was a bit jumbled, sleeping an hour later than i usually would, waking throughout the night a little and more tired the next day but since taking magnesium (im using the spray on on your body/in your mouth version and spraying it right after i shower before bed) once i nod off i conk and have been waking up feeling great - fully undisturbed peace.

Is this a side effect of the magnesium? Much better sleep? Placebo effect maybe?

Unlikely to be placebo effect, magnesium is well known to help sleep.

I'm shopping round for a new Mag supplement. That natural calm stuff starts annoying my stomach after a week or two of continued use. I think I'm gonna go the transdermal route and go for magnesium oil. It takes 1-2 years to fully replenish Mg from food, 6months to 1 year from supps and apparently only 6 weeks by rubbing the oil on your skin, at least that's what the sellers of the oil say, ha! They tested intracellular magnesium so that's the gold standard Mg test.

1tbsp of almond butter : Total Omega-6 fatty acids 1901mg

Wow.

• Advertisement

1tbsp of almond butter : Total Omega-6 fatty acids 1901mg

Wow.

That's not so bad..only 1.9g. You can have 9g of omega 6 a day and still keep % cals under 4%.

Just don't be eating gobs of the stuff :)

Well I recently made an almond/banana/walnut bread that contained 2 cups of almond flour :/

Someone was saying heavy cream is good for balancing it out - agree?

Total Omega-3 fatty acids 538mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids 836mg

Oh and I do supplement with stuff from iherb and eat fish twice a week, but currently trying to justify having 100ml-200ml of double cream a day :)

Well I recently made an almond/banana/walnut bread that contained 2 cups of almond flour :/

Someone was saying heavy cream is good for balancing it out - agree?

Total Omega-3 fatty acids 538mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids 836mg

I dunno, I did read that sat fat can mitigate the damage done by o6 but I've never seen a reference, wishful thinking perhaps!

Work away on the cream though, if you've no issues with dairy.

Cool. Nah, no issues with dairy (or anything really for that matter). Just prefer this way of eating :)

Still learning though - only learned of phytic acid recently enough, and of anti-nutrients in general. Think I'll have to start writing down some of this stuff as sometimes there's quite a bit to take in. Especially when I'm on Mark Sisson's site - so much reading to be done there!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Unlikely to be placebo effect, magnesium is well known to help sleep.

I'm shopping round for a new Mag supplement. That natural calm stuff starts annoying my stomach after a week or two of continued use. I think I'm gonna go the transdermal route and go for magnesium oil. It takes 1-2 years to fully replenish Mg from food, 6months to 1 year from supps and apparently only 6 weeks by rubbing the oil on your skin, at least that's what the sellers of the oil say, ha! They tested intracellular magnesium so that's the gold standard Mg test.
    Didn't know that! Very interesting info there.
    Might purchase some topical magnesium myself...

Didn't know that! Very interesting info there.
    Might purchase some topical magnesium myself...

Apparently it can sting until you adapt to it. But if you dilute it in lotion or water it doesn't sting.

Epsom salts in a bath are a very cheap way of getting topical Mg. I almost fell asleep in the bath once it was so relaxing!

New website for runners set up by a veteran runner from the ART forum. I submitted 2 articles to it (qualified in the area), 1st one was on support systems for younger athletes but the second one was me pimping vitd3 and its positive effects and pimping vitdcouncil.org and book/art on vitd - hopefullt it wll get more people onto vit d3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Zinc and Mag definitely work but unfortunately for me I wake up very groggy when I take my tablets, don't know what that's about.

6 weeks by rubbing the oil on your skin, at least that's what the sellers of the oil say, ha! They tested intracellular magnesium so that's the gold standard Mg test.

I checked this morning and I am using a spray version of mag oil

This one - don't know if that's cheap or expensive for it http://www.superfooduk.com/magnesium-oil-original-spray-100ml-5863-p.asp

I paid circa 12e

• Advertisement

Zinc and Mag definitely work but unfortunately for me I wake up very groggy when I take my tablets, don't know what that's about.
    I have ZMA type tablets, they do make me sleepy but also give me acne, didn't know WTF it was at first!

I take diphenhydramine for hayfever and sometimes as sleeping tablets, I take it about 2hrs before I want to go asleep, this way I am very drowzy by that time and it has pretty much worn off by morning.

I checked this morning and I am using a spray version of mag oil

This one - don't know if that's cheap or expensive for it http://www.superfooduk.com/magnesium-oil-original-spray-100ml-5863-p.asp

I paid circa 12e

That's about average. No mention of potency though, anything on the bottle. Usually it's 150mg for 8 sprays.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have ZMA type tablets, they do make me sleepy but also give me acne, didn't know WTF it was at first!

That's weird! I find the opposite, zinc is supposed to help with skin I thought?

Was the magnesium Mg Oxide perchance? I know that's not absorbed well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

That's about average. No mention of potency though, anything on the bottle. Usually it's 150mg for 8 sprays.
    @ UL Regarding instructions on the bottle, does it give directions on where exactly on the body it should be used? ie behind knees or on soles of feet??

That's weird! I find the opposite, zinc is supposed to help with skin I thought?

Was the magnesium Mg Oxide perchance? I know that's not absorbed well at all.

Well I've heard that complaint about ZMA quite a bit, never noticed it myself though.

Well I've heard that complaint about ZMA quite a bit, never noticed it myself though.

I see from a quick google it does seem to cause acne. Something about messing around with hormone levels, namely testosterone. I've found magnesium (citrate) helps keep my skin in good order and I was very prone to hormonal breakouts before, maybe because I'm a girl.

Would love to know if anyone gets a problem with ZMA but not with magnesium.

I see from a quick google it does seem to cause acne. Something about messing around with hormone levels, namely testosterone. I've found magnesium (citrate) helps keep my skin in good order and I was very prone to hormonal breakouts before, maybe because I'm a girl.

Would love to know if anyone gets a problem with ZMA but not with magnesium.
    I have heard zinc increases testosterone. Skin on my face seems the same, spots usually on the back of my neck or back of head/back, which is similar to what I have read about steroid users getting "backne"

This is the stuff
    Amount per 3 capsule serving:
    Zinc (as zinc l-methionine): 30 mg (300%*)
    Magnesium (as magnesium citrate): 450 mg (120%*)
    Vitamin B6 (as pyrodoxine hydrochloride): 11 mg (750% *)
    Copper (as copper amino acid chelate): (600 mcg *)
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/zinc_and_magnesium

Was reading this about ZMA having no effect on test, but something hormonal is definitely happening, I did not had acne in years until I took it.
    http://www.ergo-log.com/zma.html

and another saying zinc does have an effect!
    http://www.ergo-log.com/zincgluconatetest.html

Can't check from where I am - directions say 5-10 sprays morning and night
    @ UL Regarding instructions on the bottle, does it give directions on where exactly on the body it should be used? ie behind knees or on soles of feet??

Anywhere, even on gums too. I have been putting it all over my legs, calfs, hams, quads everynight before bed

ie behind knees or on soles of feet??
    I would have thought not the soles of the feet, as the skin would be quite thick so it would be hard to absorb it. Like you can take nicotine microtablets sub-lingually (under the tongue) and it absorbs through the thin membranes very quickly. Behind the knees would make more sense as it is probably thin.

The idea of witches riding broomsticks and flying came about from them making potions/salves from the likes of henbane and mandrake which are hallucinogenic herbs, then they would spread it on a bit of wood and apply it to... -well an area with thin membranes where it was readily absorbed ;).

The "broom" bit was actually more herbs tied to the front of the broom which were burned and the smoke inhaled, so in more authentic drawings you will always see the "broom" in front of them. The drugs would knock them out and they would dream of flying while in that state.

-Of course these thin membrane areas could be prone to adverse reactions so best stick with what the bottle says! The upperside of the feet is probably a more likely spot.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I have heard zinc increases testosterone. Skin on my face seems the same, spots usually on the back of my neck or back of head/back, which is similar to what I have read about steroid users getting "backne"

This is the stuff

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/zinc_and_magnesium

Was reading this about ZMA having no effect on test, but something hormonal is definitely happening, I did not had acne in years until I took it.
    http://www.ergo-log.com/zma.html

and another saying zinc does have an effect!
    http://www.ergo-log.com/zincgluconatetest.html

First study is really well designed, randomised and on humans, second study's just on rats, I know which one I'd rely on. :)

Plus second study is 3mg/Kg body weight, on me that would be over 150mg of zinc! That's loads, most people don't need more than 25mg. There have been some old people who died of copper deficiency due to large amounts of zinc in the adhesive of their dentures, so I would not go messing with high-dose zinc. 20mg is more than enough, probably less if you eat any amount of red meat or one oyster.

I still can't track down a good reason ZMA would cause acne, it's bugging me!

Advertisement