Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Telling you now Paul cut the credit card up....quick:) Well wear with the new ride.

It's so easy to spend, isn't it? My trusty goggles were leaking a bit today- straight onto Wiggle for a look. My trusty wetsuit, which I have swam for years in the waters around Kerry, is in fact a surf suit- can't have that, straight onto Wiggle.

The bike cost is at least mitigated by being a bike to ride scheme, for my 160km round trip to work, which I have to do at least once. I was shocked to see the price some bikes are...:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That shock will wear off and turn into aspiration. This time next year you'll have to have one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I am waiting on one of these to be delivered, so I can cycle to the shops for bread and milk.

I had a good belly laugh at this :D

Well wear with the new steed DeePop

Wed 16k bike, 7k hill run

I biked to Annagh start to meet PosNeg for a route check for Sundays race, and immediately felt last nights run in my legs. Ouch, my calfs were very tight, so I could only manage a walk up the hill, PN lashed on ahead of me. No harm, as I had to check a few things on the course. Other's have been checking it recently too, judging by the imprints of trail runners. Who was so thorough?;) Had a look at the wire fencing that will need to be dismantled for the day, then on through the forest. Its very mucky here, quite a few puddles have become pools, and it remains to be seen what others think after the event, but I would be in favour of retiring this route after its second running in a few days. Its resembling an obstacle course more and more, as the felled tree I came across shows. Lots of branches sticking out that I tried to trim, I'll try and get up with a saw to trim some, but staying very low to the ground and you should be ok. Back down some variant routes to meet with PN again, before biking back via the trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

We don't have walls like that around here! Beautiful!

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    We don't have walls like that around here! Beautiful!

Yeah they are some great walls all right. Nothing an Irishman likes better than a well-defined boundary. Here's some of the hill from last year, in better weather. we're holding a race on it this Sunday, should be good fun!

Yeah they are some great walls all right. Nothing an Irishman likes better than a well-defined boundary. Here's some of the hill from last year, in better weather. we're holding a race on it this Sunday, should be good fun!

Wow. Fantastic! And the rock walls (the beauty and number) really blow my mind. The race - are you and your mates organizing it? Do you get a t-shirt? :D Your race report - something to look forward to, no doubt!

Wow. Fantastic! And the rock walls (the beauty and number) really blow my mind. The race - are you and your mates organizing it? Do you get a t-shirt? :D Your race report - something to look forward to, no doubt!

Annagh Hill race, unfortunately the Race Director can't also run the races. Its my stomping ground, so I'm happy to just show it off for others to race. All my ex-friends who left when I started swimming are welcome to hijack this log with their report though;)

Annagh Hill race, unfortunately the Race Director can't also run the races. Its my stomping ground, so I'm happy to just show it off for others to race. All my ex-friends who left when I started swimming are welcome to hijack this log with their report though;)

What? Race directors can't write snappy and dramatic reports? Will there be no challenges? No strife? No heart-wrenching successes or nutritional conundrums for you on race day? Perhaps not...but if so.....I'm just sayin'..... ;)

What? Race directors can't write snappy and dramatic reports? Will there be no challenges? No strife? No heart-wrenching successes or nutritional conundrums for you on race day? Perhaps not...but if so.....I'm just sayin'..... ;)

Just stress at the moment. But it will be alright on the night, have a very good team of volunteers behind me, they'll drive this race to success:)

• Advertisement

Thurs 28k bike, 2k run

My new bike came today, great turnaround service from CRC. Its light as a feather (8.8kg), carbon forks, ultegra groupset, blah, blah, blah. I assembled the remaining parts, and took it for a spin. I've never ridden a bike like this, and was amazed at the speeds I was climbing at. There's a triple crankset, which will be useful living in this hilly part of the world. A tough climb as high up Annagh Hill as tarmac would take me, then a hill run up to where the fallen tree is. Spent a while here sawing branches off the trunk: runners will have to get low to the ground to pass under the trunk, at least they won't spear their eyes when doing so now. Ran back down to the bike (wish I was racing this route), and continued on my journey. The first real downhill I came to, was faster than I've ever travelled on a bike before. Cornering on those blade like yres will take some getting used to. The Ultegra gear shifters are such a great design, and operate smoothly. I was flying around the roads, this bike will open up a whole load of new horizons.

Just stress at the moment. But it will be alright on the night, have a very good team of volunteers behind me, they'll drive this race to success:)

Well, good luck to all of you - director/organizers/volunteers/runners - and definitely enjoy the day in that awesome looking setting and terrain. Hope to hear all about it!! :)

Thurs 28k bike, 2k run

My new bike came today, great turnaround service from CRC. Its light as a feather (8.8kg), carbon forks, ultegra groupset, blah, blah, blah. I assembled the remaining parts, and took it for a spin. I've never ridden a bike like this, and was amazed at the speeds I was climbing at. There's a triple crankset, which will be useful living in this hilly part of the world. A tough climb as high up Annagh Hill as tarmac would take me, then a hill run up to where the fallen tree is. Spent a while here sawing branches off the trunk: runners will have to get low to the ground to pass under the trunk, at least they won't spear their eyes when doing so now. Ran back down to the bike (wish I was racing this route), and continued on my journey. The first real downhill I came to, was faster than I've ever travelled on a bike before. Cornering on those blade like yres will take some getting used to. The Ultegra gear shifters are such a great design, and operate smoothly. I was flying around the roads, this bike will open up a whole load of new horizons.

And thus begins a new chapter. ;)

And thus begins a new chapter. ;)

Ow, my poor fanny <<rubs fanny>>

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You know in tri they say HTFU a lot? They mean your arse.

In light of my enlighten state of Irish slang and English translation (or vise versa), I hope you're referring to your brand, spanking new bike that you've just named "Fanny". ;)

In light of my enlighten state of Irish slang and English translation (or vise versa), I hope you're referring to your brand, spanking new bike that you've just named "Fanny". ;)

"Fanny" it is. "I'm just taking Fanny out for a ride, love"; no possible innuendo can be taken from that, sorted.

"Fanny" it is. "I'm just taking Fanny out for a ride, love"; no possible innuendo can be taken from that, sorted.

Brilliant! And adorable! All at the same time. May you ride her well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

. May you ride her well.

... and often

Might I suggest a 10 minute warm up
    5 minutes building the tempo
    5 minutes easy
    4 minutes building the tempo
    4 minutes easy
    3 minutes high cadence
    3 mins easy
    2 minutes with tempo surges
    2 minutes easy
    1 minute high cadence
    30 minutes recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Its worse this place is getting......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

... and often

Might I suggest a 10 minute warm up
    5 minutes building the tempo
    5 minutes easy
    4 minutes building the tempo
    4 minutes easy
    3 minutes high cadence
    3 mins easy
    2 minutes with tempo surges
    2 minutes easy
    1 minute high cadence
    30 minutes recovery

Much appreciated. I live in a very hilly area, although I suppose I could find a small flattish 5k loop. Presume the above would be done on the flat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jaysis, and I though Claralara's log was getting too mucky. This one takes the biscuit :pac:

Back on Topic, what's your plans for the 50k D'pop? I plan a steady 8 min/mile this time, fancy company again?

menoscemo wrote: »
    jaysis, and I though Claralara's log was getting too mucky. This one takes the biscuit :pac:

Back on Topic, what's your plans for the 50k D'pop? I plan a steady 8 min/mile this time, fancy company again?

Sat 18th, 11am-1pm, online tutorial covering Multiplicative indexes and Number Systems. Very doubtful I'll be at the 50k; enjoy.

End Over End...Foo Fighters....is that you?

End Over End...Foo Fighters....is that you?

Very cryptic Dory:confused: My musical knowledge stopped at Nirvana, hasn't really progressed since (I'd argue nor has music).

Anyway, been very quiet on the training front. The whole family has been down with some weird cold, that has you hyper one minute, drained of energy the next. I tried a few runs but had to slow before far. Saturday I was up on Annagh, marking and preparing fences for the race. Sunday am I went up again, to take down a fence.

The race itself was well-received. I woke up thinking the bus might not turn up, and leave 45 stranded runners, but it came and brought them down. A minor panic when the driver got lost around Tinahely, but by the time I had looked up the GPS co-ords, the bus came round the corner. Very easy registration, with the bussers pre-regged and collected their numbers quickly. Most everyone heeded the carpool instructions, so carpark marshalls had an easy time of it on the morning. About 130-ish turned up to run, same as last year. Thats a good number for the size of the pub, if there was the facility in future, I'd cap this race at 150 or so.

The ones who come to these further races are a bit more hardcore than the many newbies who did Howth and Ticknock. Not that there's anything per se wrong with growing numbers, but when you have to legislate for headphone-wearers, or dog-walker-runners, you're fighting against the tide. My snippiness on the forum ensured that not a headphone was in sight, everyone listened to race briefing, a decent bunch of runners. The volunteers I had helping me on the day were second to none, and I mean that sincerely, you couldn't have bought better help for a commercial race. The race itself was fascinating, T Runner winning by some gap, followed by many sprint finishes right down the field. Everyone seemed to enjoy the course, couple of hospital visits needed, stitches for one, and an unfortunate broken ankle for another (thats 2 from 2:eek:).

Because the bus allowed runners to have a pint after, there was great cheer back at the pub, I relaxed for the first time all day, and really enjoyed meeting new runners, and catching up with old friends. Brilliant day, but that's Annagh mothballed for a while, time to give some of the sister mountains their day in the sun.

Tue 14th Feb 22k bike

I'm going to try the local Tinahely Duathlon, so fought off the lethargy from this lingering cold, and took a spin around the bike section. Very windy out there! The new bike continues to impress, but I'm learning all the body parts that get cold when you bike. Some gentle hills on this route, circa 50 mins today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yeah you looked fcukin freezin when I passed you coming out of Tinahealy:D

(it's hard to miss the shiny new orange bike)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Yeah you looked fcukin freezin when I passed you coming out of Tinahealy:D

(it's hard to miss the shiny new orange bike)

I'm rediscovering the cautions of road cycling- only one vehicle indicated when passing me between Tinahely and Shillelagh, that must have been you;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm rediscovering the cautions of road cycling- only one vehicle indicated when passing me between Tinahely and Shillelagh, that must have been you;):D

Not me, I was going against you, but I would have given you room if I had been going in the same direction.

My favorite are the drivers who indicate to pass you and then only start to move out when they are already level with you and pull back in miles up the road......but they're usually wimmin so no suprise there:P

• Advertisement

@dpop.....sorry, didn't intend to be cryptic....was actually multi-tasking and was in a hurry. Stumbled upon a cycling video with Foo Fighters' End Over End playing in the background, and some of the info attached to the video made me wonder if you were involved. Obviously not. Never mind. :)

@griffin100......weren't you going to send me some crisps? ;)

Oh...and most importantly.....HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!

Advertisement