Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »

@griffin100......weren't you going to send me some crisps? ;)

Oh...and most importantly.....HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!

I'll gladly send you some Tayto. PM me an address if you want :D

Note to my wife: if you are reading this thread this is not a valentine gift for Dory :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'd wish you happy valentines in return but a) I hate that sh1t, and b) Its just not special when you do it as a menage a cinq.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Oryx wrote: »
    I'd wish you happy valentines in return but a) I hate that sh1t, and b) Its just not special when you do it as a menage a cinq.....

Don't be such a cynic Oryx. The fact you have a b) above, shows you do care, so I don't believe a).

Special winky ;) just for you then, coz you were fishing for it you are special:D

Happy Love Day!

*swoon* You complete me.

Oryx wrote: »
    *swoon* You complete me.

Still got it, hehehe <pats self on back>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

*swoon* You complete me.
    Still got it, hehehe <pats self on back>

uuu-uuurgh :eek:

The correct spelling of "chancer" is not "me":pac:

Ok, I was acting the fool, but nothing wrong with being a fool for love, thats what I say...;)

Wed 15th 31k bike ride

Still feeling the effects of this cold, lethargic at the best of times. I had a seared bloody steak last night, first red meat in ages, and got an immediate boost from it. Unfortunately all that energy was used up by today, but I got out for a steady bike ride, Carnew-Shillelagh-Tinahely loop. The bike is a real novelty still, I'm amazed at the speed it allows travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Yes, I'd have to agree. Even if not being seduced by the sirens of tri, getting off a mountain bike, or even a hybrid, and onto a proper drop-bar skinnywheeler is quite an eye opener. Finally, a way to cover car-type distances (well, up to 100 or 150 km, anyway), under your own steam. Your part of Wicklow is great biking country - the brown mountain road from Ballinaclash to Aughavannagh, then down to Aughrim and back to 'Clash' is a pleasant spin; options via Glenmalure and Slieve Maan are also excellent (tho watch for potholes coming down Maan - took a nasty tumble there last year). Much less cars than the Dublin end of the Garden County.

Makes for a pretty interesting holiday option too; in a week you can get some serious riding done, and not spend a great load of money. Though you do need an understanding other half :)

Enjoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Imagine how fast you'll go when you get the bike gear, all lycra and all ;)

@ brownian.. you've described some of our local running routes there too. All remote and gorgeous.

Thats one of the benefits of the bike- I covered about 5 of my running loops today, in a fraction of the time. There's a whole new world opened up. I was biking from Carnew, saw Mt Leinster in the distance, and realised I could bike to it fairly sharpish. Soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Are you using clip in bike shoes dnhop? I'm wondering as you havent posted up any falling off stories to make me feel better about my constant fear. You seem to have taken to the cycling like a duck to water.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Are you using clip in bike shoes dnhop? I'm wondering as you havent posted up any falling off stories to make me feel better about my constant fear. You seem to have taken to the cycling like a duck to water.

As with the swimming, I used to cycle a lot more up to a few years ago, when higher running milage took over. Have never used clips or spd's; in fact running shoes and running gear are my cycling attire (I really need to get some padded shorts for my sore fanny bum). Would you recommend the clips? I presume they increase your upstoke (?) on the pedal cycle, and are thus more efficient?

It took me a year to work up the confidence to use cleats, but I'd never go back to flat pedals. You do get more power from them, your stroke is the full circle rather than just the push down bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The triathlon wallet needs to be loosened again Dpop, pedals, cleats and shoes will make a big difference to your cycling ability especially around those hills. To save you a few extra bob get some triathlon shoes rather than normal cycling shoes otherwise you will be hankering after them in a month when you realize how slow your transitions were in comparison to others in Valentia. There are usually good value pedals on offer in the cycling forum if you keep your eyes peeled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I’ve been using cleats for almost a year and wouldn’t go back. Very comfortable and you feel like you’re getting more power to the pedals. Plus other cyclists nod at you. No cleats? no nods.

More of a slog/grinding fest using runners.

I think the chances of falling over are a bit over played. Some people also panic trying to clip back in at traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

As with the swimming, I used to cycle a lot more up to a few years ago, when higher running milage took over. Have never used clips or spd's; in fact running shoes and running gear are my cycling attire (I really need to get some padded shorts for my sore fanny bum). Would you recommend the clips? I presume they increase your upstoke (?) on the pedal cycle, and are thus more efficient?

There's a huge difference between wearing runners and clipping in on a bike - your feet wont slip off the pedals in the wet and you get a lot more power down. One or two 20km rides and you'll get used to them. Don't worry about falling off at traffic lights, there's feck all traffic lights in your neck of the woods anyway..... ...but you will fall off at some stage which will result in a bruised ego, arse and bike. I've done in twice, once outside my gate when nobody seen.....and once at the start of a club TT in front of dozens of people:o

Aargh! My head is wrecked!:D

Whats a clip/cleat/sbd?

For instance, if I go with this shoe, will it match with this pedal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Looks fine to me, the shoe will hold a three hole spd cleat

So buy an spd-sl set of cleats as well as the shoes

And those pedals are fine with the above

Afaik, spd are mountain bike type. They are flush with the shoe so easy to walk on and you can click into either side of the pedal.

Spd-sl and Look cleats and pedals have a three corner plastic cleat on the shoe which sticks out and is hard to walk on. It can also clog easily, and only fits into the pedal on one side.

Spd-sl and look I believe have better power transfer. (According to a bike fitter).

Get a one strap shoe for tri, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Would you recommend the clips? I presume they increase your upstoke (?) on the pedal cycle, and are thus more efficient?

I found an immediate improvement once I started using them. Especially when I'm tired it's great to be able to pull up in them. I would definitely recommend them. I have look cleats, the guys on the cycling forum seem to like that kind too. It's taken me a while to get used to clipping out. I've had 2 falls, once when I hesitated at a roundabout on a group cycle, where everyone laughed their asses of at me:o and once outside my front wall when I forgot I was clipped to the bike. Still I think they are the bees knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

catweazle wrote: »

So buy an spd-sl set of cleats as well as the shoes

If you buy the pedals then cleats should come with them (well they have for all the shimano pedals I've bought)

Thanks lads and lassies, this is what makes the forum such a brilliant resource. I'm getting great advice I know I can trust. I bought those shoes above, and a set of Look KEO Easy, all for €100, which is an end to spending. There's always a better piece of equipment when it comes to Tri, isn't there? Gotta start somewhere (gotta stop somewhere too:D).

Thurs 1.1k swim, 22k bike

When I got to the pool, there were a group training lifeguards, so I figured I'd better get as much done before they took over the whole pool. Didn't have much energy, so I got 250m free warm-up, then 10x50m alternating slow breast, and sprint free. Times for the free were all between 16-18 secs. Doing these sprints makes me realize just how much work I have to put into my kick- I've been going easy because of the knees.

When I got back, there was just enough daylight for a spin around the Tinahely Tri bike route, steady pace, circa 52 mins. Really like the bike!

Fri 53k bike

Carnew-Bunclody-Clonegal-Shillelagh-Tinahely. Circa two hours. My ass is very saddle sore now!

Fri evening 3k swim

Had a lane to myself for most of this, and I did a nice 1.5k steady pace. Took a little break in the steam room (still trying to figure out why I'm doing this, can't see the benefit), before heading back for another 1.5k made up of various bits and bobs. Tested my stroke towards the end, and there was still plenty of power there. This mixing up sports sure helps work out some muscle groups, while others recuperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fri evening 3k swim

Had a lane to myself for most of this, and I did a nice 1.5k steady pace. Took a little break in the steam room (still trying to figure out why I'm doing this, can't see the benefit), before heading back for another 1.5k made up of various bits and bobs. Tested my stroke towards the end, and there was still plenty of power there. This mixing up sports sure helps work out some muscle groups, while others recuperate.

Well done there, sir. Seriously impressed at your commitment and enthusiasm! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done there, sir. Seriously impressed at your commitment and enthusiasm! :)

Thanks! Must admit, I was thinking of your monster 6k swim while swimming tonight, about how you get into a Zen state and just churn out the lengths. It'll be a while before I reach that stage! For the moment drinking too much water and gasping for air will have to do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You should see a relatively cheap 5% to 10% improvement on the bike with the cleats, pedals and decent shoes. Will make such a difference on that hilly terrain of yours:)

Mon 20th Feb 23k bike

Oryx, shotgun, and anyone else who has this blasted cold, you have my sympathies. It just won't go away, seems to abate, then come back with a vengence. Sat and Sun I had a very sore throat, bunged up, etc. Felt a little better today, so I did a local loop at lunch to practice snotrockets.

Since my cleats had arrived, I could practice them too. Very easy to get in and out of, and there was a definite performance boost. On the hills, I could use different sets of muscles to pull, or push, for a while. On the flat, the bike/human hybrid operated as a smoother machine, less wobble from the bike, and a lot more energy transfer.

Now to dig out my Kraftwerk albums...

• Advertisement

Tue 43k bike

Still not feeling great, but I'd say its on its way out. I haven't run in almost two weeks, and my knee feels all the better for it. I'm tempted to continue with the bike/swim for another week, to see if a decent break from pounding will heal it. My fitness has come on a lot, although its hard to gauge not running. Certainly I'm toned up from the swimming, and have lost weight.

Today I did a circuit of Croughan Kinsella, around one of SJ's running routes for his LSR. It's got a good few climbs, but you're rewarded by some magnificent views across the Irish Sea. This was a good spin, although the return was difficult, into a headwind all the way back. About 1:50 for the 43k.

Advertisement