Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Tue 10k easy run

Ha, its a bit of a novelty that I have to qualify^ "10k" with "run":)

The headtorch brought me through a dark forest, and I was soon blinded by the afterglow from trees. Switched to a low blue setting, and carried on half blind for way more than I should have, running on feel through the trees. It felt good, but never let me play Russian Roulette. I exited on to a wider path for a while, chugging away at a decent clip. There are pains in strange places after yesterdays monster swim, but one thing I did notice was strength in the calfs, which is vital if I want to rebuild the knee. Cycling hard uphill, and kicking in the pool, are both good for this, and the difference is there to behold.

I kept the pace easy enough, this week is just about introducing running again, and seeing what aches it may bring.

Wed 22k bike

Local loop, giving it wellie on the hills. Nothing much to say except biking uphill really hurts the quads, hurts so good.

Wed 1.25k pool

This was congested, but kept easy enough. My muscles were still aching from the long swim a couple of days ago, but I managed 5x25m sprints. Didn't time them, but they felt all out effort. Otherwise my form was tired.

Wifey says to me when I came back, "All this cycling, and swimming, what's going on?", looking very suspicious. Don't know why, but I feel guilty for some reason. Maybe its that I know a mistress would be cheaper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Wifey says to me when I came back, "All this cycling, and swimming, what's going on?", looking very suspicious. Don't know why, but I feel guilty for some reason. Maybe its that I know a mistress would be cheaper ;)

ha, that reminds me of this

Fri 3.5k pool

The first 2.5k of this was done in one long chunk. My form wasn't great at the start, but after swollowing loads of water going "oooooooommmmmmm", I finally hit the Dory Dory Zen state, and was at one with the water. My kick wasn't great, I'm in danger of overthinking form at the moment. I guess I need to start doing drills: now that I'm swimming again, I'd hate to reinforce bad habits. The local swim club took over the lanes, while I finished another 500m (3k in 61 mins), and I got a lesson in how its really done. These kids were amazing, total sharks in the pool. Their form was amazing, and reinforced that I've a long ways to go yet.

Another 500m of various bits to warm down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fri 3.5k pool

The first 2.5k of this was done in one long chunk. My form wasn't great at the start, but after swollowing loads of water going "oooooooommmmmmm", I finally hit the Dory Dory Zen state, and was at one with the water. My kick wasn't great, I'm in danger of overthinking form at the moment. I guess I need to start doing drills: now that I'm swimming again, I'd hate to reinforce bad habits. The local swim club took over the lanes, while I finished another 500m (3k in 61 mins), and I got a lesson in how its really done. These kids were amazing, total sharks in the pool. Their form was amazing, and reinforced that I've a long ways to go yet.

Another 500m of various bits to warm down.

Doing the same myself lately probably best to focus on one area at a time. No doubt drills are were its at!!

Your missus probably thinks she is going to become one of those IM widows;)

Doing the same myself lately probably best to focus on one area at a time. No doubt drills are were its at!!
    Yeah, I did a bit at the end concentrating on kick, then on pull, and the results after were better. Those fish in the pool though- were they a lesson in how its done correctly!
    Your missus probably thinks she is going to become one of those IM widows;)
    She's be an IM divorcee way before that;)

Sat 14k bike, 6.5k run, 19k bike

I figured I'd try a run off the bike, so cycled a hilly 14k to Little Sliabh Bui, and had a scout of what I think is the route. The last bike climb to the start was tough, I was in my highest gear and straining to stay in the saddle.

The run was a learning experience- absolutely no power in the legs at all. I was climbing initially, and couldn't manage faster than a jog. Very strange, as my breathing seemed normal, and there was no muscle pain per se. I've seen a few Tri guys talk of "jelly legs" off the bike- maybe this is what they are referring to? Anyway, over the brow, off the fireroad, into proper, gorse laden, grassy, mucky, trail, which skirts a forest and affords a wonderful view all the way to Lug. Magical, this is where I like to be running. The return is along fireroad, pace was nothing to write home about; but a decent run.

Back on the bike along some new backroads, for a steady 19k.

Sun 7k easy run

This was just to loosen the legs after yesterday, I got out at twilight after watching the rugby match (fair result, ref let a lot go both sides). Along the forest river, this was like someone turned on the switch for Spring.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|5k swim, 7k steady run|longest swim yet, 1:50. First run in 2 weeks, felt good
    Tuesday|10k easy run|
    Wednesday|22k hilly bike, 1.25k swim| Pushed the bike uphills, tired for swim
    Thursday|Rest|
    Friday|3.5k swim|Decent steady effort
    Saturday|14k bike, 6.5k run, 19k bike|Brick session, run felt terrible, jelly legs
    Sunday|7k easy run|Legs felt much better.

Weekly km|Swim 9.75 Bike 55 Run 30.5|Still shaking a cold, introducing running again, good knee response
    2012 km|Swim 29.95 Bike 413 Run 319

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Love yer lil' chart. May steal it, if I can figure out how. Nice work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Really feel you are not making the effort dp and you should add 1 or 2 more sports in there. I caught a bit of skiiing biathlon earlier. Can you carry a sniper rifle on your bike and take down some targets? Or do some hurdling.. wasn't that your 1st choice growing up?

Seriously though, fair play on your multi-faceted dedication. Going well.

Really feel you are not making the effort dp and you should add 1 or 2 more sports in there. I caught a bit of skiiing biathlon earlier. Can you carry a sniper rifle on your bike and take down some targets? Or do some hurdling.. wasn't that your 1st choice growing up?

Seriously though, fair play on your multi-faceted dedication. Going well.

Might carry a rifle in the Tonlagee race and take out some M40 targets all right:D

I'm very happy to be running pain free this week. Will up the tempo a bit on the runs, won't extend the distances too much for a few weeks. Recce leg 7 in a month or so, great time of year to be running the trails. Oddly enough, I was contemplating Cushbawn this morning (kidsitting though). Don't like the sound of that new gravel path.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Love yer lil' chart. May steal it, if I can figure out how. Nice work!

It's dinky, isn't it!;) Quote, copy and paste from here, the bits that say {Table}, to {/Table} in square brackets. Sessions, comments are separated by the || lines.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|insert session here|insert comment here
    Tuesday||
    Wednesday||
    Thursday||
    Friday||
    Saturday||
    Sunday||

Weekly km||
    2012 km||

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Might carry a rifle in the Tonlagee race and take out some M40 targets all right:D

I'm very happy to be running pain free this week. Will up the tempo a bit on the runs, won't extend the distances too much for a few weeks. Recce leg 7 in a month or so, great time of year to be running the trails. Oddly enough, I was contemplating Cushbawn this morning (kidsitting though). Don't like the sound of that new gravel path.

A lot of that Cushbawn hill is fab. The last few k towards Aughrim is now ruined. I hope they fix it. :( Lets head up there soon enough now that Spring is upon us. Also want to recce a non eroded Tonelagee route.

A lot of that Cushbawn hill is fab. The last few k towards Aughrim is now ruined. I hope they fix it. :( Lets head up there soon enough now that Spring is upon us. Also want to recce a non eroded Tonelagee route.

See if we can get Mr. FlatBattery out with us too. I've a plan for that, just call in a MR emergency code A1 (blonde in distress) and he'll come running;)

Mon 5th March 2.3k swim

First 1000m I tried to keep the pace up a little bit, came in 16:xx (lane clock broken, so going by 12hr clock), which is faster than I've gone before. This is the pace I'll be doing the longer sets at, a bit more at a time. It feels like a comparison decent running pace.

Next was 250m backstroke,
    250m breast stroke,
    500m alternating pull and kick,
    300m alternating freestyle sprint, slow breast.

No idea of the sprint times, but there was speed there. Legs and arms were working well, without me overthinking it, which I believe is a result of the drills.

Mon pm 12.5k Carnew loop run

This run was AWESOME for a road run... there's a stretch in the evenings, so the first half was lit by twilight, on a cool clear evening. I felt strong in the legs, didn't push the pace though, in fact I was holding beneath a "steady" pace. More stars came out, and I had a full moon to guide me, it wasn't until 2/3rds in that I needed the headtorch, and even then only to warn cars. All the hills were taken in a stride, there was an extra gear or two if I needed it, no knee pain on the downhills...

I sped up only on the last 2k or so, and came in 61 mins, which just beats my previous best from a month ago, when I was pushing the pace a little. So this multi-sport seems to be working- in the sense that I'm getting fitter and faster, and more importantly, there is strength around the knees, and no pain. The real proof will be when I race, but I'm content for now that things are going in the right direction.

Tue 1.1k swim

Pushed for time, this was more like recovery pace, and sure enough. legs etc. felt good after it.

Don't know if you ever do much core/strength/flexibility/balance work...but if not, keep yoga (or something similar) in mind. I'm not good about taking the time to do any of those things on my own (I always convince myself that time is better spent running/cycling/swimming instead of a non-heart pounding sissy stretching session), but I think my addition of a weekly yoga class (started in December, I think) has had a positive impact on my existing routine, and I've seen great improvement in mainly my flexibility and balance - core and strength too, but I imagine all the running/cycling/swimming has contributed to core/strength the most. I also imagine this type of conditioning (yoga) will help prevent injuries. Bonus. :)

Oh, and way to crush Krusty in that race. The clown totally ate your dust. ;)

Don't know if you ever do much core/strength/flexibility/balance work...but if not, keep yoga (or something similar) in mind.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I'll bear yoga in mind, could do with more flexibility (and less crankiness!).
    Oh, and way to crush Krusty in that race. The clown totally ate your dust. ;)

Thanks:D He's been a changed man ever since, I think that race is the last thing he thinks of before sleep; first thing upon rising. Everyone knows all his training is just leading up to the rematch he so desperately needs to fulfill himself. Sad really, that these grudges can take over body and mind- he's even taken to wearing ball-crushing shorts in races, in an effort to enhance his pain threshold :eek:

• Advertisement

he's even taken to wearing ball-crushing shorts in races, in an effort to enhance his pain threshold :eek:

And to think, I thought he was just trying to get an aerodynamic edge with those skin tight shorts! I had no idea how deep this went. ;)

Wed 7.5k bike, 7k run, 7.5k bike.

This one was hilly and windy. I took the mountain bike up Annagh Hill, cycling to the start of my steep "tester" hill. Legs were jellyish off the bike, but I tried the small steps/higher cadence as recommended by jackyback, and it seemed to work. By the top of the steep part, my legs had loosened a bit, and I stretched into a bit of trail running. The view from the ridge was magnificent, a fresh and bright day to blow away any cobwebs. Back down again, and onto the bike for the spin home.

Thanks for posting your observations about climbing technique on Bally8's log. Useful tidbit of information that I will take with me on my next hill session.

And good to get the cobwebs blown off you. Sounds like a beautiful spin/run/spin today.

Thanks for posting your observations about climbing technique on Bally8's log. Useful tidbit of information that I will take with me on my next hill session.

There's a very steep part of my local Annagh Hill that we sometimes train on- I've never managed to run the whole thing, even though its only 700m long, its a hell of a gradient. PositiveNegativ, my sometimes training partner, is one of the best climbers around (as in he was probably the best in Ireland, in his day), and he just chug-chug-chugs his way all the way up, very small steps, arms moving all the time, cadence ticking over, breathing and heart rate kept under control. I've tried following him a few times, and although I can never keep up for too long, I can stay close for a lot longer if I mimic the baby steps action.

Once you lose your breathing going uphill, you're finished- lactate hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Once you lose your breathing going uphill, you're finished- lactate hell.

Or heaven :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks:D He's been a changed man ever since, I think that race is the last thing he thinks of before sleep; first thing upon rising. Everyone knows all his training is just leading up to the rematch he so desperately needs to fulfill himself. Sad really, that these grudges can take over body and mind- he's even taken to wearing ball-crushing shorts in races, in an effort to enhance his pain threshold :eek:
    Ahh yes. That fateful day, ever etched in my memory. And here's the reenactment, so you can re-live every moment. :) I only wear the shorts though, because I like the way they feel on my skin, an accentuate my natural curves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Plus one on losing your breathing going uphill. Absolute misery.

What’s your thinking on walking, hands on legs tactic? I find it works for me in that I can keep pace with some lads doing the baby steps shuffle. But does walking/striding likely to cost you later in the race?

It can be a bit of a battle to get going again.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Plus one on losing your breathing going uphill. Absolute misery.

What’s your thinking on walking, hands on legs tactic? I find it works for me in that I can keep pace with some lads doing the baby steps shuffle. But does walking/striding likely to cost you later in the race?

It can be a bit of a battle to get going again.

Hands on knees, walking (and jogging in bursts), often works for me too- I like the way it can get you a "breather". But I've tried both methods against the ascending metronome that is PN, and conclude that "baby steps/high cadence" is the more efficient use of energy. As you suggest, bursts tend to hurt you more later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On the rare occasion that I've done IMRA races (around 4 per year) it's the mental aspect of giving in as you slow from a run to a walk that is the killer. Once I've given in once, it's easy enough to succumb again. So I try not to walk any more, if only for the mental aspect, rather than the physical. But that's only on the gentler/longer IMRA races.

• Advertisement

it's the mental aspect of giving in as you slow from a run to a walk that is the killer. Once I've given in once, it's easy enough to succumb again.

Very good point. Sucks mental juice from you, gives a mental boost to your opponents.

Advertisement