Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Dory Dory wrote: »
    That's two edits in two days!! I still have the original text on both my computer and cell phone if anyone needs me to forward...... ;)

And I'm not even drinking:rolleyes:

I blame the more adult and risqué tone of the Tri forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

And I'm not even drinking:rolleyes:

I blame the more adult and risqué tone of the Tri forum.

Why do you think they call it "the dark side"?

Fri evening 2k swim

Some old school friends of my wife's are around for the weekend. The only lubricant in use is the vino which fuels their already insatiable nattering (I'm dead if she ever reads this log:D), so I excused myself and drove to the pool.

1000m freestyle, just kept going after 10 lengths, and then 20, then 30. Form dropped again after 30ish, but otherwise I was happy with this. 22mins for the kilometer.

Into the steam room for whatever reason I don't know, then back for:

10x25m free; a little faster, concentrate on form and turn.
    4x25m breast, found this difficult to breathe every second, soon I was breathing every stroke. Not good, but effort was decent.
    4x25 free; busy lane so this was just just steady effort.
    4x25 back; lane became free, I'm not great on Back. I realised the bunting hung a few meters from the turn has a reason beyond decoration. Its gas how stuff becomes forgotten and reremembered.
    4x25m breast; this was better, breathing every second, form was better.
    14x25, free; finishing with a touch of cramp in my plantar faciitis.

I like this swimming! Much more fun to have such variety in training.

Fri evening 2k swim

Some old school friends of my wife's are around for the weekend. The only lubricant in use is the vino which fuels their already insatiable nattering (I'm dead if she ever reads this log:D), so I excused myself and drove to the pool.

1000m freestyle, just kept going after 10 lengths, and then 20, then 30. Form dropped again after 30ish, but otherwise I was happy with this. 22mins for the kilometer.

10x250 free; a little faster, concentrate on form and turn.
    4x25m breast, found this difficult to breath every second, soon I was breathing every stroke. Not good, but effort was decent.
    4x25 back; lane became free, I'm not great on Back. I realised the bunting hung a few meters from the turn has a reason beyond decoration. Its gas how stuff becomes forgotten and reremembered.

Holy crap! You are FLYING! Dag! I feel like a proud, uh, parent. ;):D

Holy crap! You are FLYING! Dag! I feel like a proud, uh, parent. ;):D

Just wait till I hit the teenage years. EVERYTHING SUCKS!

I didn't find the initial km too hard, it was like doing a steady run. So I guess I should try some faster sets of 4's. Impossible question, that I still want you to answer please: how long should it take me to do a 1k, and how long should 100m free take? Roughly will do it, if thats possible. I have no idea of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hey dp are you going to swim the Dingle marathon?

Haha, sure I trained for a marathon last year. Reckon muscle memory, footwear improvements, and my new lube, will see me to a pb :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I heard he was running the ultra. A mile for every year of his life.:D

I heard he was running the ultra. A mile for every year of his life.:D

Nah, its Donadea ultra I'm doing, so your imperial units make me 31 and a few months. But you knew that from my babyface :D

Fri evening 2k swim

10x25m free; a little faster, concentrate on form and turn.
    4x25m breast, found this difficult to breathe every second, soon I was breathing every stroke. Not good, but effort was decent.

Just wait till I hit the teenage years. EVERYTHING SUCKS!

I didn't find the initial km too hard, it was like doing a steady run. So I guess I should try some faster sets of 4's. Impossible question, that I still want you to answer please: how long should it take me to do a 1k, and how long should 100m free take? Roughly will do it, if thats possible. I have no idea of times.

You swam 1000 meters in 22 minutes, so we know that's your starting point. How long should it take you? Probably less than that. ;) As a side note, I know some might think swimming that distance is junk, but I think it depends on the quality of your form (that reinforcing bad habit thing), what your goals are, and whether or not you are incorporating shorter distances into your routine. You are staying aware of your form, you are using swimming as a supplement and compliment to your endurance running, and you are doing the shorter distances, so I think you're good. Since I've been exposed to the world of running, I now think of these long swims as the equivalent of your LSR.....so let's call them LSS (long slow swims). (Of course this assumes I properly understand the term LSR.)

If we break down your 22 minute 1k swim today, we know that you swam 1 meter every 1.32 seconds. For comparative purposes, if I convert how fast I swim my LSSs (1k yards every 15 minutes) to meters, we know that I swim 1 meter every second, and it would take me 16 plus minutes to complete. So my answer to you is that you should be swimming 1k somewhere between 17 and 22 minutes. ;) Distance swimming is all about upper body, so improving the efficiency and power of your stroke (and not increasing the number of strokes) will shave time off your 22 minute starting point.

Regarding how long it should take you to swim 100 meters, I'd like to say under 2 minutes. If you were in a competitive swimming group, you'd be doing 100 meter intervals anywhere between 1:30 and 2 minutes, depending upon ability. Time yourself and see how close you get to 2 minutes. And if you go over 2 minutes, there's no shame in that.

I'm seriously impressed at your ease of completing 1k at this point in your current swimming career. You are not to be underestimated. :)

• Advertisement

Sat 11k: 9k tempo, 2k warm down.

Up in Dublin for the pacers dinner, so I hit the streets in my new Inspires for a fast run. This felt great, I was flying along. Its the first time in a while I've run on concrete, and the added traction helped the pace. Shoes are good, think they could be a winner.

Great fun meeting everyone at the dinner, good food and wine, great chat. I was delighted to be sat beside Racoon Queen, who was looking stunning in a knockout black dress. If I wasn't in my early 50's...:)

Into a taxi and out to a nightclub, for my once yearly late night booty shake. Dear god, why do people do this to themselves?:D I was lost getting back to the hotel, kept taking wrong turns, and refuse to pay for taxi's, so about another 10k jog/walk to the hotel at 4am, but I won't count those penance miles in any challenge. Head hurts today.:o

**signed up for Valentia Tri**

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

/delete Donothoponpop.

:)

But my €17.99 Aldi Trisuit, bought 2 years ago, won't have the price tag cut from it just yet!:)

Get the scissors out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

@pn: run on Annagh again soon?
    @dp: we can leave you at the puddle on the ridge for continuous lengths? Are you still RDing Annagh or is there a Tri event that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Too old, slow, and wine-sozzled to be a runner anymore? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Et tu Brute? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Great fun meeting everyone at the dinner, good food and wine, great chat. I was delighted to be sat beside Racoon Queen, who was looking stunning in a knockout black dress. If I wasn't in my early 50's...:)

Would have enjoyed that. Pity it clashed with the IMRA night.

Damn it! I'm in Leeds or Bristol or somewhere godawful for a stag when I could be doing Valentia. Bloody friends with their marriages and stags.

Bunch of whingers...

I can either let my knees die by continuing to pound downhills, or let my dignity die by wearing a trisuit. No contest.:)

Tue 31 Jan 1.25km swim.

Lunchtime swim. Dory has suggested I see how fast I can do a km, so I went for it. No-one in the pool, straight into a decent stroke. This feels like a steady run, rather than a tempo run- and that's really the only comparison I have to go by. Effort was fine, hit 20 lengths in 9:45, and kept it steady enough to finish the 1000m in 19:37. Form wasn't great from 30-35, but I picked it up towards the end, so it can be kept together all right.

Was pushed for time, so just did another 10 lengths. MCOS does 50m in 33 secs, so I wanted to see what I could do. 41 secs, flat out. I'm losing time by doing open turns, but really need to start working on my sprint. Tried again, 42 secs.

The swim at Valentia is a 750m sea crossing. I have a shortie wetsuit, which I'll wear. The one thing in my favour is I've swam the seas off this island for years, and the last few have been using this wetsuit, so I should be prepared for any cold. There can often be jellyfish in these waters too, but I've never had any bad reactions. The swim from mainland to the island is something I've always wanted to do- if I can get down there before the tri in May, I'll give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Or in a trisuit.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Bunch of whingers...

I can either let my knees die by continuing to pound downhills, or let my dignity die by wearing a trisuit. No contest.:)

Well - goodbye knee's

If the descent is ****ty enough - your knee's won't feel a thing.

ocnoc wrote: »
    Well - goodbye knee's

If the descent is ****ty enough - your knee's won't feel a thing.

Since I started swimming, my leg turnover has increased (Sat's tempo). I was pounding concrete which usually hurts like hell for days after- little knee pain after. I would say its beneficial to my running in general, to swim and bike (non-impact) instead of do easy runs.

I'm contrasting that to any time I've let go on downhills over the past few months, when I've been in a fair amount of pain for days after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Another victim:) Thats RQ and Dpop who is next....watch this space!!

I have heard Valentia is the business so you should enjoy it for your first attempt at tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

I'm contrasting that to any time I've let go on downhills over the past few months, when I've been in a fair amount of pain for days after.

Letting go is for racing - controlled is for training.
    Train don't strain.
    I never ran downhill fast in training . . . too slow to recover from.

But yes, biking (uphill) is a good leg pounding avoider.
    Swimming is not something I dabble in

Letting go is for racing - controlled is for training.
    Train don't strain.

Actually I think this is the problem. I've not raced in a while because of injury. However, I've trained with another injuree, and we've been known to tussle a bit for pride on the training run downhills. Which just reinforces the injury...
    But yes, biking (uphill) is a good leg pounding avoider.
    Swimming is not something I dabble in

Starkers across Lough Firrib to wash off the muck is a treat.:)

Bunch of whingers...

Tue 31 Jan 1.25km swim.

Lunchtime swim. Dory has suggested I see how fast I can do a km, so I went for it. No-one in the pool, straight into a decent stroke. This feels like a steady run, rather than a tempo run- and that's really the only comparison I have to go by. Effort was fine, hit 20 lengths in 9:45, and kept it steady enough to finish the 1000m in 19:37. Form wasn't great from 30-35, but I picked it up towards the end, so it can be kept together all right.

Was pushed for time, so just did another 10 lengths. MCOS does 50m in 33 secs, so I wanted to see what I could do. 41 secs, flat out. I'm losing time by doing open turns, but really need to start working on my sprint. Tried again, 42 secs.

The swim at Valentia is a 750m sea crossing. I have a shortie wetsuit, which I'll wear. The one thing in my favour is I've swam the seas off this island for years, and the last few have been using this wetsuit, so I should be prepared for any cold. There can often be jellyfish in these waters too, but I've never had any bad reactions. The swim from mainland to the island is something I've always wanted to do- if I can get down there before the tri in May, I'll give it a shot.

Dignity die by trisuit...I applaud your unapologetic something or other.

Your swimming continues to impress me. I better pick up the pace this Friday - I don't need you breathing down my neck or tickling my feet on my 1,000s. (and well done on the 50m - watchout shotgun!!)

Valentia....just another apple orchard getting ready to be robbed.

Another victim:) Thats RQ and Dpop who is next....watch this space!!

I have heard Valentia is the business so you should enjoy it for your first attempt at tri.

Cheers, I'm looking forward to it! Mainly, though, because I know the island well, its something tangible to swim across to it, bike round it, and run to the quarry and back. Its a fast enough hill coming back!

Dignity die by trisuit...I applaud your unapologetic something or other.

Your swimming continues to impress me. I better pick up the pace this Friday - I don't need you breathing down my neck or tickling my feet on my 1,000s. (and well done on the 50m - watchout shotgun!!)

Valentia....just another apple orchard getting ready to be robbed.

:D

The 1k should go under 19 next time, with a little more effort. I now have a firm grasp of what your 16min per km warm-up means! The 50m was hard, but then there's no reason I should be able to do them fast. Will start to mix up the distances from now, as you suggested.

:D

The 1k should go under 19 next time, with a little more effort. I now have a firm grasp of what your 16min per km warm-up means! The 50m was hard, but then there's no reason I should be able to do them fast. Will start to mix up the distances from now, as you suggested.

Well done, grasshopper. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

41secs for a flat out 50 and 1:57/100 pace for your first 1km. Now thats sick. You only got back in the water a couple of weeks ago. Definite sandbagger with regard to the swimming :rolleyes: as is Dory Dory with her Marathon Goal :rolleyes:

The 750m crossing to the Island will be a doddle to you. The run is up and down a hill you wouldn't consider a hill too so a bit of time on the saddle and I think you may push for a sound AG placing!!

Advertisement