Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

Options

Comments

robbie_998 wrote: »
    fair enough, judging from your OP and some other posts you seem to say that AH is a general discussion forum and that we should be allowed to talk about whatever ? (am i right in saying that ?)

cos if so then what is the point of all the other forums ?

sure why dont we remove soccer, television, science and just have one big After Hours ? that seems to be what you want to be able to talk about anything in AH,

very simply dont do that because its too big, it would be too confusing and it would take ages to keep up with posts etc.

its just not gonna happen

There is a huge difference in what happened at the end of that match and regular premiership games at the weekend. It warranted a thread, which it has now got so point proven. It has covered the media since then, not because of the soccer itself, but because of what it means to the country. If you read this thread fully, you would see that no one wants regular soccer threads in AH.

As far as you're point regarding other forums, it would seem that the AH mods are very happy to let threads that belong in other forums develop.
    picture2vkm.png

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS** ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) - Soccer

The Art of the Sandwich ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) Food and Drink

Public Service Strike Next Week ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) Work and Jobs

Poll: Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) The Ladies Lounge

How 'normal' is drug taking? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) After Hours

Cold remedies ( 1 2 3) Health Services

Irish men and weight ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) The Gentlemen's Club, The Ladies Lounge

Stuff you never see anymore ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) All Things Retro

2019 ( 1 2 3 4 5) After Hours

Israelis jail a cat in solitary confinement because it aided Palestinian prisoners ( 1 2 3) After Hours, Politics

$1.5M Russian SUV features Diamonds & Whale Penis Leather ( 1 2) Motors

Are you anal? ( 1 2 3 4) After Hours

Popular trends that make your blood boil ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) After Hours

TV stars that you wish had of got naked / did sex scenes .. ( 1 2 3 4 5) The Cuckoo's Nest

The End is nigh!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) One of the Science Forums

The flood discussion thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) After Hours

I've tried to highlight how most of After Hours threads could be put into another forum but are not because they simply work better in After Hours. The line should not have been drawn at the Post-Match threads and bans handed out when so many other threads on the page could fit elsewhere on the site also. For regular matches, they should never be in After Hours but this match was a source of national outrage. One thread as there is now with the title stating not to start other match threads would have avoided the entire thing.

Instead, you had people who were already angry and emotional at the football result rebelling against Frada etc. by flooding After Hours with threads, alot of which were directed at the mods and were nothing to do with the match. We were also told to go post in the Soccer Forum which is locked to the huge majority of posters.

That's all I have to say on this, I don't think football threads should be in AH, but when something like this happens, there should be at least one thread. There is one now, so I guess this was taken on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

There is a huge difference in what happened at the end of that match and regular premiership games at the weekend. It warranted a thread, which it has now got so point proven. It has covered the media since then, not because of the soccer itself, but because of what it means to the country. If you read this thread fully, you would see that no one wants regular soccer threads in AH.

As far as you're point regarding other forums, it would seem that the AH mods are very happy to let threads that belong in other forums develop.

I've tried to highlight how most of After Hours threads could be put into another forum but are not because they simply work better in After Hours. The line should not have been drawn at the Post-Match threads and bans handed out when so many other threads on the page could fit elsewhere on the site also. For regular matches, they should never be in After Hours but this match was a source of national outrage. One thread as there is now with the title stating not to start other match threads would have avoided the entire thing.

Instead, you had people who were already angry and emotional at the football result rebelling against Frada etc. by flooding After Hours with threads, alot of which were directed at the mods and were nothing to do with the match. We were also told to go post in the Soccer Forum which is locked to the huge majority of posters.

That's all I have to say on this, I don't think football threads should be in AH, but when something like this happens, there should be at least one thread. There is one now, so I guess this was taken on board.

i can agree that threads do work better in AH and thats not a problem but with the match there were several threads in Soccer about it which is the right place for it, the mods kinda broke their own rule with it by having a soccer thread but they only did it because soo many people were demanding it and creating soo many threads for it that they were struggling to keep up with them all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Quazzie wrote: »
    Some could argue that the beers thread belongs in the Dublin forum or even here, some could also argue that its in breach of this

But it's an after hours event that is taking place in dublin. This is the same as the nocturnal forum events. They aren't events for members of the dublin forum (not that they aren't welcome). If they were posted in the dublin forum a lot of the after hours members wouldn't see them. This is why they are placed in after hours. It's not being posted to get more traffic, it's being posted there to get the right traffic.

How many times does this have to be said. The reason the threads were locked is because soccer has such strict access permissions. It wasn't just because soccer was a better fit for the thread, it was because we'd essentially be bypassing that strict access that soccer has. One of the admins said before (I believe it was DeV) that soccer threads shouldn't be outside of soccer forum.

So with all the other threads you pointed out. They fit in the forum you suggest and they fit in after hours. So it could be moved or left. Either way no hassle.
    With the soccer threads. They fit in after hours and they fit in soccer but they shouldn't be in after hours at all. Why lock down the soccer forum if you can just post about soccer in another forum.

So with all the other threads you pointed out. They fit in the forum you suggest and they fit in after hours. So it could be moved or left. Either way no hassle.

Agree here, discussing a wide variety of topics with largely the same community of posters is what makes after hours.
    With the soccer threads. They fit in after hours and they fit in soccer but they shouldn't be in after hours at all. Why lock down the soccer forum if you can just post about soccer in another forum.

In heinsight, what way would you have handled it to minimize disruption in the immediate aftermath? I'm pretty sure you weren't online at the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How many times does this have to be said. The reason the threads were locked is because soccer has such strict access permissions. It wasn't just because soccer was a better fit for the thread, it was because we'd essentially be bypassing that strict access that soccer has. One of the admins said before (I believe it was DeV) that soccer threads shouldn't be outside of soccer forum.

So basically soccer is the only exception to the rule about what can and can't be in After Hours?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In heinsight, what way would you have handled it to minimize disruption in the immediate aftermath? I'm pretty sure you weren't online at the time..

Hard to say. Not being online I managed to escape all the crap that was posted. Having a mega thread like we have currently running while it would stop 80 bazillion threads being started on it and keep everything contained in the one thread it still leaves us with the problem that a lot of crap that crosses the line is still posted. From what I've heard there was a lot of racist crap and over the top vile comments made. Given the mindset of people at the time (ie drunk, pissed off or both) it's somewhat understandable, still not acceptable though.

Locking/deleting the threads and temp banning anyone who persists (by temp banning I mean until the next morning just so they can sober up and calm down a little) is the other option I can think of. This potentially leads to people being pissed off that they got a ban (a legitimate ban though).

Neither are ideal. It's really a case of choosing the lesser of two evils and it's a tough call.

So basically soccer is the only exception to the rule about what can and can't be in After Hours?:confused:

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify a little, please.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify a little, please.
    Well you said that some threads can fit in After Hours or somewhere else like politics for example, and some threads can fit in After Hours or soccer, but soccer threads aren't allowed whereas some politic threads are.

That would mean Soccer would be the exception to the rule,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

the most current event in Ireland?!
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

How dare the AH mods direct us to a forum that you have to go through a big process to be allowed post in? Soccer forum is off limits to most, I have access but 90% of people don't.

This was the biggest match Ireland has had in a long time and if they posters of AH want to talk about it, they should be allowed to. We are what makes After Hours what it is. If we can bitch about politics etc. all day, why can we not post about Henry an hour after it happened?

I'm serious, this is completely unfair. For alot of AH, this is the only forum they frequent and we're gettin bans for talking about the most current event in Ireland?!

I know i cant stand the mods.I had access to the soccer forum and got banned for 6 months because im really passionate about it and voiced my opinion and hatred toward the pool fans.I mean,for ffs how do they expect united and pool fans to get on and have respect for each other.The hatred between the club is unbelievable plus,a lot of them are pool supporters so they punish united posters.Guess ill make up a new account soon and get access again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anthony16 wrote: »
    I know i cant stand the mods.I had access to the soccer forum and got banned for 6 months because im really passionate about it and voiced my opinion and hatred toward the pool fans.I mean,for ffs how do they expect united and pool fans to get on and have respect for each other.The hatred between the club is unbelievable plus,a lot of them are pool supporters so they punish united posters.Guess ill make up a new account soon and get access again.

lol, no wonder why you were banned for six months. I'm a passionate Liverpool fan but FFS it's only a game, I don't hate any Man U fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You have to laugh. I'm willing to bet Anthony16 doesn't rage against Liverpool fans on the street/in the pubs.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    lol, no wonder why you were banned for six months. I'm a passionate Liverpool fan but FFS it's only a game, I don't hate any Man U fans.

No man,its not just a game,its a way of life.Ask any of the lads in the kop or stretford end and they will tell you that their club is their life.
    There is a famous banner in old trafford saying;United Kids Wife-in that order.Think that says it all:D

mike65 wrote: »
    You have to laugh. I'm willing to bet Anthony16 doesn't rage against Liverpool fans on the street/in the pubs.

Youd be right on that.U wouldnt want to tell anyone in anfield that ur a united supporter.My friend wz sittin with the pool fans at a united liverpool game and they made him take his united jersey off,threw coins at him and never gave him the jersey back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

No man,its not just a game,its a way of life.Ask any of the lads in the kop or stretford end and they will tell you that their club is their life.
    There is a famous banner in old trafford saying;United Kids Wife-in that order.Think that says it all:D

Do you have any idea how sad that banner would be if it was actually taken seriously? ;)

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how sad that banner would be if it was actually taken seriously? ;)

Look, i know it tongue in cheek but my point is that football is more than just a game for many hardcore supporters.It is extremely important to a lot of them.Why do you think fans cry when their team gets relegated?Because it means so much to them.Football is very important to millions of people and if u think otherwise u are wrong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lets think about he underlined bit.

If we let you express your 'hatred toward the pool fans' what would happen the soccer forum...?it would be a mess with people taken digs at each other.If you cant see that you have no place on the soccer forum.

As one of the lads said would your express your 'hatred toward the pool fans' in a pub...?if so I am having a big get together of Liverpool fans on the 29th you are more than welcome.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Lets think about he underlined bit.

If we let you express your 'hatred toward the pool fans' what would happen the soccer forum...?it would be a mess with people taken digs at each other.If you cant see that you have no place on the soccer forum.

As one of the lads said would your express your 'hatred toward the pool fans' in a pub...?if so I am having a big get together of Liverpool fans on the 29th you are more than welcome.

So now ur saying that united fans are supposed to like liverpool fans?Couldnt be bothered continuing anyway seeing as u are a mod,i no longer want to speak to you.bye:P

So now ur saying that united fans are supposed to like liverpool fans?Couldnt be bothered continuing anyway seeing as u are a mod,i no longer want to speak to you.bye:P
    It's exactly this kind of stupidity and immaturity that has lead to the neccessity for an access request.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Who said anything about like...?you need to respect people like you would/should in real life.That way (if everybody respected each other) we would have a forum were pure football debate took center stage and not tribalism.

I am a Liverpool fan,I don't hate all Utd fans I hate nobody ontill I have a reason to.By reading your posts you seem to think someone is a 'hardcore' fan by how much they hate there rival's,this is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Why do you think fans cry when their team gets relegated?Because it means so much to them.

Penis size? It's something to do with penis size, isn't it?

I bet it's penis size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

were you born in manchester? do you live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Look, i know it tongue in cheek but my point is that football is more than just a game for many hardcore supporters.It is extremely important to a lot of them.Why do you think fans cry when their team gets relegated?Because it means so much to them.Football is very important to millions of people and if u think otherwise u are wrong

It's a game. A game in which some men kick a piece of leather between posts.

How that ties in with hating your fellow man I'll never know.

I really cant understand how some men can let soccer take over their lives, especially some club in another country. most of the clubs fans were born in the local area and travel a mile or 2 to get to games. its their club.

but its not really a club, its a big business.

its a business based around 22 players in a big field chasing after a ball and trying to put it between 2 posts. I like it, but only when I take part ie. 'jumpers for goalposts'. otherwise its just men running around a field on tv.

the only time it might be worth watching is if its your country, thats different because it brings us all together, but if we lose its not the end of the world, life goes on. if it is the end of the world maybe you need to reevaluate your life or lack of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

its a business based around 22 players in a big field chasing after a ball and trying to put it between 2 posts.
    You'd think that at this stage - with all the money generated by TV rights, merchandising, etc - that they could afford to buy all 22 chaps a ball each & be done with all that silly running around & tackling & stuff.

/2¢

were you born in manchester? do you live there?

Yes,i was born in Salford,Greater Manchester but moved here when i was young.Have loads of cousins living there too.What does that matter anyway?All football fans have different opinions on sport no matter where they live.If u dont understand it then dont try and talk about it

If u dont understand it then dont try and talk about it

So you do understand why there shouldn't be Soccer threads in AH. If there was, the whole thing would turn into one big flame war. The problem with the OP was that the incident that lead to this thread was about more than a soccer game.

The problem with the OP was that the incident that lead to this thread was about more than a soccer game.

soccer isnt a game, its a way of life man!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

soccer isnt a game, its a way of life man!

So is being a vegan or a paedophile, but I don't understand that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus the soccer forum again eh. The forum is modded the way it is because in the past the noise ratio was too high compared to the reasonible discussions going on. If you want to vent "your hatred of Liverpool fans" there are plenty of forums on the net that will allow you to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Hill Billy wrote: »
    So is being a vegan or a paedophile, but I don't understand that either.

So is being a mod,but i cant understand that either

Advertisement