Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

@Overheal

Somebody upstairs better mod you before 2009 is out or you're just going to ...explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

stovelid wrote: »
    @Overheal

Somebody upstairs better mod you before 2009 is out or you're just going to ...explode.
    At this stage - I wouldnt even mod me.

tbh its just another form of contribution, and I do plenty of that - whether you like what I have to say or not.

Maybe if the standard for admission reaches some new horrible low, I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

lucky-colm wrote: »
    point please?
    I don't have one.
    I just write lots of stuff without really saying anything.
    WindSock wrote: »
    I started a thread there yesterday regarding why people are mental about soccer. I wouldn't know where else to put it really. I didn't want to talk about any specific games or teams, just a discussion on looney fans. It did get locked, I thought it might, but I didn't think it would suit the soccer forum either.

I am glad that soccer games in general aren't allowed to be discussed in AH, btw. But I think there should be exceptions such as the whole country watching even if you aren't into it kind of thing.

I have to disagree with that.
    For some, a Manchester or Liverpool or Glasgow derby is far more important than an Ireland game.
    You allow one, then you have to allow them all. That's the way the world has become.

Orwell was only 20 years out, but equality for those once treated as of lesser importance has transformed into their offspring not only demanding equality, but forgetting what equality means and deciding that they are more important than everyone else.

It has also made me post about stuff that has nothing to do with anything.

In short, Man U fan will demand a thread in AH because they deem a Manchester derby to be more important than a WC qualifying match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

In fairness Terreth, i wouldn't draw the same analogy there.

This was a national event (well, an event that got the nations attention anyway). A Manchester Derby or an SPL tie just doesn't have the same universal draw.

Not here, on an Irish based forum anyway. To some among us, yes, but not on the same level as last nights debacle in Paris. Just look at the coverage it has gotten, not just here, but the world over.

This was a big, and despite what some may say, an unforeseen event for the most part. But the mods still dropped the ball (no pun). They should have employed a lot more discretion. Cut the sh1t but allow the topic. And not just on one restrictive thread either (although that's probably where most of it would have ended up-some judicious merging would have helped that along).

It's not even an issue of manpower, even though there are two non existent AH mods, not including your own withdrawal yesterday-there are some people who never seem to be off the site, wherever they find the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A question for the mods of AH and possibly th Admins which doesn't really warrant a thread of its own but kind of fits in here.

Why are the beers allowed be arranged on AH when its cleara s day that its a Dublin based beers and clearly not available to the full populace? Should this not be arranged in the Dublin Forum conisidering it was never an option to have it anywhere else other than Dublin?

If soccer threads aren't allowed in AH because there is a soccer forum why are Dublin threads allowed in AH?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Quazzie wrote: »
    A question for the mods of AH and possibly th Admins which doesn't really warrant a thread of its own but kind of fits in here.

Why are the beers allowed be arranged on AH when its cleara s day that its a Dublin based beers and clearly not available to the full populace? Should this not be arranged in the Dublin Forum conisidering it was never an option to have it anywhere else other than Dublin?

If soccer threads aren't allowed in AH because there is a soccer forum why are Dublin threads allowed in AH?

Hey Tonto, keep your damned AH riff-raff in AH we don't want 'em in DCF! :P

But tbh, the place to organize an After Hours beers is in -
    AFTER HOURS - you'd never have guessed it would you!

We'll gladly host anything related to Dublin City in the DCF, indeed Dr.B, Zohan & Frada like to drive me banana's throwing AH Dublin threads over to us :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you want an AH beers in a different part of the country, then organise one.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Probably because the people that want to arrange the beers in Dublin want to have them with people who post in AH, not the Dublin forum where they might never post or know half the posters.

As aboev, if you want to arrange beers in Galway/Cork/Wherever, PM a mod asking about it.

The same would go for TLL beers; Noc Beers; Moards Beers; etc.

Theres no rule saying an AH beers is exclusively in Dublin. (I hear Limerick is a popular spot on Good Friday. Just sayin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Overheal wrote: »
    At this stage - I wouldnt even mod me.

tbh its just another form of contribution, and I do plenty of that - whether you like what I have to say or not.

Maybe if the standard for admission reaches some new horrible low, I'd consider it.
    Fanboi-ism makes baby Jesus cry though... :(

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Fanboi-ism makes baby Jesus cry though... :(
    ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you want an AH beers in a different part of the country, then organise one.
    And there have been beers outside dublin. Galway for one IIRC

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yup Galway, Cork, Waterford, Cavan, Belfast, London, Germany..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Perhaps Myself and Brummytom should arrange one in north west england sometime although I think he is below the drinking age

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Latchy wrote: »
    Perhaps Myself and Brummytom should arrange one in north west england sometime although I think he is below the drinking age

Give me a year or two until I can drive, then definitely .o/

brummytom wrote: »
    Give me a year or two until I can drive, then definitely .o/
    Definitely Tom :)

although it's only just under 2 hrs from Brum to the Pool / Pool to Brum on a bus / train :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Fine then, until I've grown a beard/got a fake ID :pac:

brummytom wrote: »
    Fine then, until I've grown a beard/got a fake ID :pac:
    In Liverpool ? no problem :cool: :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

sharkshooter makin more friends by the minute it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Did you read the whole thread here, no? Sharpshooter is not the only one mentioned (not Sharkshooter btw:rolleyes:)..

Personally I find these attacks on this mod to be getting a wee bit old at this stage. It's bordering on some form of witch hunt.

There is not an ounce of badness in Sharpshooter. I would imagine that AH is not the easiest place to moderate. And if I was mod of AH, i'm sure i'd have people disagreeing with me all over the place. You wouldn't be able to do right for doing wrong.

Leave the girl alone ffs. It's only the internet. Why throw such a wobbly over something so bleedin' trivial. Take the bully caps off folks. It's not pretty. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

guys i think this thread has lived its purpose. (seems to be hitting off topic too from some of ye)

this thread was started because Ad By Google was banned for making a football thread in AH, very simply not allowed. Now Frada did come around and AFAIK un-banned people who made football threads while locking them.

The mods did have a discussion about it and there is one thread left open for the discussion of the match, they didn't have to but they did out of the kindness of their hearts, as a result of that the thread is being heavily modded.

AH is a general discussion forum with in reason ! the charter and rules are there and I'm fairly sure bearly anybody has read them.

They make other forums like food and drink for example so if you are looking for recipes or anything of the like you can get a good decent answer, try posting anything like that in AH and everybody just starts taking the piss.

anyway thats my thoughts on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

robbie_998 wrote: »
    guys i think this thread has lived its purpose. (seems to be hitting off topic too from some of ye)

this thread was started because Ad By Google was banned for making a football thread in AH, very simply not allowed. Now Frada did come around and AFAIK un-banned people who made football threads while locking them.

The mods did have a discussion about it and there is one thread left open for the discussion of the match, they didn't have to but they did out of the kindness of their hearts, as a result of that the thread is being heavily modded.

AH is a general discussion forum with in reason ! the charter and rules are there and I'm fairly sure bearly anybody has read them.

They make other forums like food and drink for example so if you are looking for recipes or anything of the like you can get a good decent answer, try posting anything like that in AH and everybody just starts taking the piss.

still kissing ass I see :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    And there have been beers outside dublin. Galway for one IIRC
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yup Galway, Cork, Waterford, Cavan, Belfast, London, Germany..
    None of which were organized in AH* so why are ones fo Dublin allowed?

*at least not since I've joined

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

None of which were organized in AH* so why are ones fo Dublin allowed?

*at least not since I've joined

I made that thread assuming that most people that would be attending the Beers were from/would prefer it to be in Dublin

The location hasn't been decided yet.. if people would prefer it to be somewhere other than Dublin I'd have no problem with that, can't speak for anyone else though

I mentioned the Green in the thread because it had been suggested in an earlier thread that we do something for SSF, but again it was only an assumption on my part that it would end up being in Dublin.

I made that thread assuming that most people that would be attending the Beers were from/would prefer it to be in Dublin

The location hasn't been decided yet.. if people would prefer it to be somewhere other than Dublin I'd have no problem with that, can't speak for anyone else though

I mentioned the Green in the thread because it had been suggested in an earlier thread that we do something for SSF, but again it was only an assumption on my part that it would end up being in Dublin.
    I think its fairly safe to say that everyone knows assumes its going to be Dublin. It always was. My point is that if something that is really obviously a Dublin event is organized in AH so why can't a soccer thread be started that discussed something that was an issue for the whole country, not just a few inidividual fans.

Some could argue that the beers thread belongs in the Dublin forum or even here, some could also argue that its in breach of this
    Larger audience
    - Posting on AH simply "to reach a larger audience" may result in a ban. The thread will be moved/deleted. If your thread is more suited to another board then please post it there. After Hours is to discuss non-specific topics and issues in a general way. If you have a serious Political or News post, they should be posted on their specific forums.

Anyway I think the big issue was solved, and I think this is going to be closed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think its fairly safe to say that everyone knows assumes its going to be Dublin. It always was. My point is that if something that is really obviously a Dublin event is organized in AH so why can't a soccer thread be started that discussed something that was an issue for the whole country, not just a few inidividual fans.

Some could argue that the beers thread belongs in the Dublin forum or even here, some could also argue that its in breach of this

Anyway I think the big issue was solved, and I think this is going to be closed soon.

It's an AH Beers first and foremost though for AH posters. If most people happen to be from Dublin or would prefer to have it in Dublin that's just the way it is.. I'm not from Dublin btw

I don't think it breaches the charter because it's not aimed at reaching a larger audience, it's aimed at reaching its target audience

sorry for going off topic, just wanted to reply to that

Just to add that I see your point and do agree a bit.

I just brought it up to make a comparison with the soccer threads and was in no way a personal cut at you (the OP of the beers thread)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Not being smart, but people in Dublin bother to organise beers. Thus the most beers are in Dublin.

Nothing ties a community together like attending events like beers. So if you get off yer collective non Dublin arses I am sure the mods will be helpful in sorting you out.

In the Noc people organise events sometimes without even telling me. (That'd probably get locked in AH though as the clientele are different.)

robbie_998 wrote: »

I was banned after setting this thread up.. just so everyone knows.

I started this thread, then I started a thread offering 20euro to SSF in return for being allowed to talk about the match. I got banned for that, PM'd Frada for a bit and accepted my ban.

This thread is clearly not about my ban and some of the points still stand.. Anyways, not that it matters by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I was banned after setting this thread up.. just so everyone knows.

I started this thread, then I started a thread offering 20euro to SSF in return for being allowed to talk about the match. I got banned for that, PM'd Frada for a bit and accepted my ban.

This thread is clearly not about my ban and some of the points still stand.. Anyways, not that it matters by now.

fair enough, judging from your OP and some other posts you seem to say that AH is a general discussion forum and that we should be allowed to talk about whatever ? (am i right in saying that ?)

cos if so then what is the point of all the other forums ?

sure why dont we remove soccer, television, science and just have one big After Hours ? that seems to be what you want to be able to talk about anything in AH,

very simply dont do that because its too big, it would be too confusing and it would take ages to keep up with posts etc.

its just not gonna happen

Advertisement