Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I understand that many similar topics are unnecessary, but can the positive thread stay? If a negative cheaters-type thread is kept, surely there is a need for a balance?

I'm refering to my thread in this case.

Regards,

'jim

• Registered Users Posts: 81,986 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont post in Soccer. I dont. But I had the cop on to register about 18 months ago knowing the day would come when the world cup came around and id want to jump right in without going through hoops.

Soccer is clamtight because even as a priveledged-access forum its still by all accounts one of the most difficult to moderate due to the nature of the Threads and Topics - not the forum. Sure, theres a HD thread there from the weekend of some Poker banning because some harleton wanted to discuss soccer in there while he waiting to make 50 posts (he was allowed to but got banned by about 20 posts, and rightly so if you ask me).

The fact is people act like children ninnies and nitwits when it comes to Sports. Especially Soccer. Thats why its so heavily controlled and why its so easy to lose access to the forum for breaking the rules.

Discussing it in AH is not an option. AH is hectic enough as it is without those subjects being discussed. We have Soccer for that, or where mods allow (Poker etc) it seemingly is the case where these talks are allowed in the Off-Topic threads. You can go to one of those. Just because you frequent AH doesnt mean the forum needs to accomodate you. Go to a forum that is already accomodating: Make your soccer application and wait. I dont force people in AH to talk about... Stargate. We already have a forum for it.

The only unfair thing about it is you have singled out the AH mods as part of the problem :confused: They're not involved.

Leave the sports to the sports forum.

Leave the anger and pride to the AH forum.

After Hours is a community to discuss current events and that is what people see it as.

Funny your signature is "Support the Santa Strike Force" Overheal. I got banned for two weeks for offering 20euro to the SSF if threads were left open for the night.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744230

Thought it was a nice gesture.

After Hours is a community to discuss current events and that is what people see it as.

Funny your signature is "Support the Santa Strike Force" Overheal. I got banned for two weeks for offering 20euro to the SSF if threads were left open for the night.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744230

Thought it was a nice gesture.
    I would have called it trolling or blatant sarcasm at the least. You were otherwise objecting to a mod action in the Wrong way - by starting a snarky thread in AH about it, rather than PM'ing the mod or starting a helpdesk thread.

Also as was well established last year with Snyper's stunt to gain temporary moderatorship of The Ladies Lounge - the operation of the website is not for ransom, at any price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Can't understand why Tom's thread was closed...and then Terry's opened. Mods should've let one open and direct everything into their.

Can understand the rest of their decisions though. AH would've been flooded with them!

Jesus, its a message board man, not a panel deciding someones life or death.

No one broke rules in AH ffs.

Overheal wrote: »
    I would have called it trolling or blatant sarcasm at the least. You were otherwise objecting to a mod action in the Wrong way - by starting a snarky thread in AH about it, rather than PM'ing the mod or starting a helpdesk thread.

Also as was well established last year with Snyper's stunt to gain temporary moderatorship of The Ladies Lounge - the operation of the website is not for ransom, at any price.

Well it was neither. I have the SSF details saved on my online banking.

Operation of the website? So dramatic for a rule that was implemented in the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'd like to point out that I have access to the soccer forum. If 90% of boards doesn't have access its because they either got access and abused it or never wanted it to begin with. We're not in the hand holding business here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I actually agree with the lockdown on football threads in AH until everyone has cooled down. People need to relax or vent in the correct channels.

That said, I was a bit surprised at the boycott french thread.

And the hand of god post (posted in the locked sticky warning thread that garnered a predictable fool's chorus of thanks) that now seems to have been deleted.

If mods are trolling about the match, how do you expect the plebs to keep schtum?

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I actually agree with the lockdown on football threads in AH until everyone has cooled down. People need to relax or vent in the correct channels.

That said, I was a bit surprised at the boycott french thread.

And the hand of god post (posted in the locked sticky warning thread that garnered a predictable fool's chorus of thanks) that now seems to have been deleted.

If mods are trolling about the match, how do you expect the plebs to keep schtum?
    I've learned in my tenure here not to give credence to Terrance's shortcomings lest I give myself a headache. Best for worst he's probably most responsible for AH being what it is today. And I like AH.

As for match venters with no access to Soccer - I'd advise taking the opportunity to revel in the unchecked madness whilst you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I have access to soccer too, many do, it's not that hard.

Great community there too, for the most part.

There was a precedent of not allowing soccer discussion on ah, as it was felt that people would use it to circumvent the rigid control that rightly or wrongly was part of the soccer forum.

Up to a point, this made sense.

But.

Here we go again with mods straightening chairs at the tea party, instead of letting what should be the most lighted place on the site just flow along.

Use your discretion ffs, don't just throw up stickies in the small hours, or allow your fellows to buck the trend (which tbh, should have been bucked anyway). This was a big deal for many people, and few of them wanted to discuss the machinations of the beautiful game, but just wanted to discuss this one instance.

Ridiculous.

I love how the AH mods have been replying to every thread in order to get the locked ones out of sight.

:rolleyes:

It makes me lose faith in the forum to be honest. We're not allowed to be angry and take over from the conversations on important stuff like..

"Girls in GAA, attractive or not?"
    "Are you experienced?"
    "Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?"

Sarcasm much?

This was a once of night where it really hurt to be Irish, one night where I like so many other posters in Ah wanted to vent their frustration and instead get banned.
    This is something that will fill the newspapers tomorrow and and it's all people will talk about at work tomorrow.
    It's not a regular soccer thread, people arn't making a habit of it.

I'm gonna get to know the rest of the site a bit better during my ban for this.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5819/picture2bj.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Boards is supposed to be a community, where we can talk about these things. Everyone wants to talk about these things now.

I think AH has gone down the shitter in the last year.
    I just don't know whether it's due to certain mods interpretations of what the forum stands for, or whether they have been directed from a higher authority to be more strict with post deletions, thread deletions and bannings.

But it's sucking the life out of the forum.

True dat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Boards is supposed to be a community, where we can talk about these things. Everyone wants to talk about these things now.

I just don't know whether it's due to certain mods interpretations of what the forum stands for, or whether they have been directed from a higher authority to be more strict with post deletions, thread deletions and bannings.

Probably better to keep one open and apply same rules: crack down if it descends into Frog this or Frog that. Probably less effort than trying to close all those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

AH is a lot like soccer, actually, in that everyone who doesn't run it knows how to run it better.

Well, you can piss the odds away. Seeing as how some Posters are particularly ruining it for everyone. Throwing their toys out of the pram and getting themselves banned and making an absolute mess of AH. Rather than posting about it here. Im thinking of TomCo and Wylo. Oh by the way @ TomCo: you might try the Sports root forum if a handball/raquetball/squash forum does not yet exist: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8

edit: oh and the thought just crossed my mind: Ranting and Raving doesnt allow Soccer Religion or Politics (Charter). And I imagine trying is a good way to get banned from there too.

Sleep it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hold on, are people arguing that one boards forum should actively undermine another boards forum. If I can talk bollix about roundball on AH, then why do we even need a roundball forum? If you want to talk about roundball and not be bound by the rules on the boards.ie roundball forum, why not go to foot.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

sunnyjim wrote: »
    I love how the AH mods have been replying to every thread in order to get the locked ones out of sight.

:rolleyes:
    Users requested that mods post after locking a thread to explain the reasons behind the locking. The mods are doing what they were asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I agree.

Even in the short time I've been here, AH has been going down the pan completely. I don't know whether it's because they've lost a few great mods or the current mods are stricter, but it feels far too controlled now. Some days recently, as ridiculous as it sounds, I've felt I can just sense a bad atmosphere in there.

Like you say, it's a discussion forum. But they seem to be trying their best to stifle discussion of any sort over the past few months. I would try and find examples but I'm off to bed, so I'll do it tomorrow

Sure why talk about anything on ah, so?

We have hundreds of fora now like.

Boston wrote: »
    Hold on, are people arguing that one boards forum should actively undermine another boards forum. If I can talk bollix about roundball on AH, then why do we even need a roundball forum? If you want to talk about roundball and not be bound by the rules on the boards.ie roundball forum, why not go to foot.ie?
    No one wants to regularly post about soccer in after hours.

This is the biggest night of patriotism the heartbreak we've seen in a long time. After Hours is alot of users only forum and this match is hugely relevant to most people.

The threads would have died out tomorrow while everyone was at work again, all we wanted was somewhere to vent our dissatisfaction.

Have you seen the hand ball like? Crazy.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It makes me lose faith in the forum to be honest. We're not allowed to be angry and take over from the conversations on important stuff like..

"Girls in GAA, attractive or not?"
    "Are you experienced?"
    "Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?"

Sarcasm much?

This was a once of night where it really hurt to be Irish, one night where I like so many other posters in Ah wanted to vent their frustration and instead get banned.
    This is something that will fill the newspapers tomorrow and and it's all people will talk about at work tomorrow.
    It's not a regular soccer thread, people arn't making a habit of it.

Speak for yourself dude, as far as I'm concerned, it's only a game.

I certainly wasn't feeling any hurt or anger or sadness, except for the amount of morons who seem to oscillate between the states of "raving, racist hooligan" and "gay for every other man in the same coloured T-shirt" with no other emotion in between. (present company excluded, of course).

Soccer is the place for soccer for a good reason. You saw a fragment of that reason this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

People need to relax or vent in the correct channels.
    I would have thought an internet chat room was one of the correct channels.

CuLT wrote: »
    Soccer is the place for soccer for a good reason. You saw a fragment of that reason this evening.

The primary reason this got heated is because people saw their discussions shut down.

I will only make one criticism of the AH Mods in this one special case: Advertising the need for Soccer Access to post in the Soccer Forum ahead of tonight's game could have resulted in far fewer split keyboards.

That still wouldn't have stopped the Banned or Denied users (You know who you are) from being muppets, but it would have cut down on tonights Signal to Noise.

As for the rest, the time to have your say on How To Improve AH was given none too recently and as far as we are aware the mods are still sifting through the large volume of response they got to the question.

CuLT wrote: »
    Speak for yourself dude, as far as I'm concerned, it's only a game.

It's Ireland getting knocked out of the World Cup in a game where they played alot better than the 98 Champions.
    It's Ireland getting knocked out of the World Cup based on a crazy hand ball where he blatently passed it to Gallas.

This is nothing to do with soccer, it's national fuking pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

This site can cause the blood to boil sometimes when this kinda sh1t happens.

If anyone wants to vent about the match, I suggest: http://thumped.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Advertisement