Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So is AH a general current topic off the cuff forum or not?

IMO, this part of the AH charter sums it up:
    This forum is basically for threads that are "off-topic" in other forums

EDIT: To clarify, I think it should be an "everything else" forum, rather than an "everything" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's the off-topic forum, meaning no one theme is allowed to dominate.

That's why Christmas threads are banned in there. In the absence of a Christmas forum AH becomes the defacto Christmas forum. Ditto soccer threads. People circumvent the procedures in place around access to that forum by simply not applying and starting threads in AH.

Perhaps such rules need not be viewed as strict and exceptions should be made for times like this. The problem there is, once you do that, you know you will have people screaming blue murder that the thread about Ireland vs France was allowed but the thread about some other match wasn't.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I honestly think that AH has become more of a stand-alone forum for people to post about whatever

It's not so much there as a place for the miscellaneous threads on Boards.ie any more, but for the people that use it as a general area of discussion about anything and everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

But AH is a general interest forum, it should tolerate a certain level of discussion on everything

Not specifically aiming this at Ghost Train.

A lot of people are comparing having soccer threads in AH to politics, celebrity, etc threads, when there are specific forums for each.

But soccer has an access request system due to the type of shite that was seen last night. So I don't think it's the same thing to be allowed discuss that particularly topic in AH.

I agree with a lot of what people have said from all sides of this whole thing.

Best thing in this exceptional case was to have one thread in AH. But quick decisions had to be made, wires got crossed and people are only human. I think a pretty decent job was done all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

lucky-colm wrote: »
    i mean to say doctor doom (if indeed that is your real name) but it is as plain as the nose on your face just look at the second post in this thread and the mod that replied got 4 thumbs up from other mods

A mod also thanked the OP. Does that mean the OP is in on the conspiracy too and everybody is out to get you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I don't think it should matter who thanked what post - it's the content of the post that matters. I don't thank every post I agree with.

/Don't take our thanks away again

I honestly think that AH has become more of a stand-alone forum for people to post about whatever

It's not so much there as a place for the miscellaneous threads on Boards.ie any more, but for the people that use it as a general area of discussion about anything and everything

I fully agree.. I'd never really think of finding another forum that might be more relevent if I know the thread will fit into AH grand.
    eg. A thread I started giving out about the Indo belongs in AH more that "News and Media" because it's about the general publics opinion on it.

Ya get to know the other main posters of the forum without having a set thing in common like gaming or music. Much better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    This is the problem we face quite often.

On normal days its tough to keep everyone happy. But when something big happens its so much tougher.

Some people have said AH isn't what it used to be. You know what. Its not.

Over the years the forum list has grown massively. AH isn't the centre of Boards any more. The crazy random stuff is in tCN. The hardline piss taking is The Thunderdome. Moaning and complaining slides over to ranting and raving. The random 3am sleepless night threads are for the Noc people now.

Get where I'm coming from?

AH has changed. If you don't adapt, you're left behind looking at what was and what its going to or could be.

I'm sure we'll take on one or two new mods with Terry gone and Tar getting his 3rd gender alteration job done. But best to let the dust settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wow:eek:

Sorted out the men from the boys,I think.

To use a gridiron term, last night some mods got a taste of playing on the "concrete".;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

i mean to say doctor doom (if indeed that is your real name) but it is as plain as the nose on your face just look at the second post in this thread and the mod that replied got 4 thumbs up from other mods

actually tis the same in nearly every thread on here where someone starts up complaining about something and a mod replies stating why it was wrong in the first place to start a thread like that or something and the rest of the mods can't wait to give them their thumbs up and it generally ends after a few pages with only mods quoting one another and adding +1 or giving thumbs up.

it really is so predictable

does any thing ever get sorted in feedback???

and if so what is the percentages like???

That's utter tripe.

The reason you have mod thanks and so many mods comments here is because mods listen to feedback.

It would be worse if there were no posts or thanks on here from mods, it would mean that the mods weren't reading Feedback threads.

Mods don't always agree with other, this thread alone proves that.

Have a look at the posts from the mods in AH last night, we were all up 'til at least 3am sorting out sh!t and believe it or not the majority of us have jobs and real lives to lead.

If we didn't give a sh!t we would have let things run riot last night and banned everyone this morning.

• Advertisement

By now, I'm happy with the attitudes the mods are showing.. Zohan's post in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

How do I apply to be un-restricted in the Soccer forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

ok ok point taken;)

but if i see anymore colluding around here i will be all over it like a cheap suit:D

apologies to anyone i offended (those who are not in the conspiracy)

:D place thanks here::::

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kevin! wrote: »
    How do I apply to be un-restricted in the Soccer forum?
    Soccer Access Requests

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Soccer Topics are for the Soccer Forum tbh. Not AH or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,160 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sully wrote: »
    Soccer Topics are for the Soccer Forum tbh. Not AH or elsewhere.

Well we have a match thread there in AH and it seems to have sorted the issue, all people wanted was a place to discuss a topic in the news

Major celebrity death threads in AH seem to be common enough

Public service strike thread there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Takk wrote: »
    Not specifically aiming this at Ghost Train.

A lot of people are comparing having soccer threads in AH to politics, celebrity, etc threads, when there are specific forums for each.

But soccer has an access request system due to the type of shite that was seen last night. So I don't think it's the same thing to be allowed discuss that particularly topic in AH.

I agree with a lot of what people have said from all sides of this whole thing.

Best thing in this exceptional case was to have one thread in AH. But quick decisions had to be made, wires got crossed and people are only human. I think a pretty decent job was done all things considered.

Just to expand on that.
    The soccer forum was closed for a while a few years back. This was partly due to lunatic fanatics.
    Those same people showed up in AH last night.
    I think one of the comments was typical nígger or something along those lines.
    That type of comment has no place anywhere on this site.

The main reason for soccer threads not being allowed in AH is because some people take it far too seriously. Some people act completely irrationally when it comes to soccer
    There's passion for the game and then there is lunacy.
    The lunatics are usually spotted in the soccer access request forum and denied entry. They showed up en masse in AH last night and, given the chance, would be in AH after every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,160 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Soccer threads are not allowed in AH, I think people don't have any issue with that. But should exceptions be made in certain circumstances

Obviously yes, otherwise we wouldn't have a thread in AH at the moment

Or if the answer is no, the current match thread should be moved :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Last night was Exceptionally Bad.

An Exception was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

Terry wrote: »
    Just to expand on that.
    The soccer forum was closed for a while a few years back. This was partly due to lunatic fanatics.
    Those same people showed up in AH last night.
    I think one of the comments was typical nígger or something along those lines.
    That type of comment has no place anywhere on this site.

The main reason for soccer threads not being allowed in AH is because some people take it far too seriously. Some people act completely irrationally when it comes to soccer
    There's passion for the game and then there is lunacy.
    The lunatics are usually spotted in the soccer access request forum and denied entry. They showed up en masse in AH last night and, given the chance, would be in AH after every game.

point please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

point please?

That if you allowed Soccer in AH you would have sh!t storms like last night nearly every weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Listen lads, if you are not happy with what you are getting I think you should all feel free to shop around...

I think boards is great value for money..

The mods give up their time and energy to make this a nice environment for us to post in..

Its the posters that have been lowering the tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I started a thread there yesterday regarding why people are mental about soccer. I wouldn't know where else to put it really. I didn't want to talk about any specific games or teams, just a discussion on looney fans. It did get locked, I thought it might, but I didn't think it would suit the soccer forum either.

I am glad that soccer games in general aren't allowed to be discussed in AH, btw. But I think there should be exceptions such as the whole country watching even if you aren't into it kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

That if you allowed Soccer in AH you would have sh!t storms like last night nearly every weekend

which would also lead people away from the Soccer forum !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't think anyone's asking for soccer to be allowed in AH on a permanent basis. However, last night's match was bigger than soccer - the Taoiseach has just had his say on it FFS. Games like this come around once every three or four years and when the entire nation is talking about nothing else, then AH, which I believe reflects current events, should make some allowences. The right decision - to open up one thread in AH - was made in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I don't think anyone's asking for soccer to be allowed in AH on a permanent basis. However, last night's match was bigger than soccer - the Taoiseach has just had his say on it FFS. Games like this come around once every three or four years and when the entire nation is talking about nothing else, then AH, which I believe reflects current events, should make some allowences. The right decision - to open up one thread in AH - was made in the end.
    I agree, it's not a "normal" soccer game and wouldn't be something going on every weekend, imo. One thread should've been left open to accomodate the deluge, it's common sense. It's bending the rules for the best, and I think Frada saw that when he first posted.

The rest though were stupid. AH users with years of experiences starting up threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I agree that people should not use AH to get arround posting in the soccer forum but this transcended soccer and became a note worthy international issue never mind national.

I really do despair if the AH mods can't see that.

I think this is probably the best post I've read on this thread. Some seriously short sighted behaviour from the mods in AH last night.
    They should have copped this huge matter for its importance early on and set up one thread for venting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dear all.
    Wood. Trees. New mods. Old mods. Clashes. Tragedy. Paris. Comrades lost. Folks left behind. Mountains. Molehills.
    C'est fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

C'est fin.

Until the replay! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont post in Soccer. I dont. But I had the cop on to register about 18 months ago knowing the day would come when the world cup came around and id want to jump right in without going through hoops.

Soccer is clamtight because even as a priveledged-access forum its still by all accounts one of the most difficult to moderate due to the nature of the Threads and Topics - not the forum. Sure, theres a HD thread there from the weekend of some Poker banning because some harleton wanted to discuss soccer in there while he waiting to make 50 posts (he was allowed to but got banned by about 20 posts, and rightly so if you ask me).

The fact is people act like children ninnies and nitwits when it comes to Sports. Especially Soccer. Thats why its so heavily controlled and why its so easy to lose access to the forum for breaking the rules.

Discussing it in AH is not an option. AH is hectic enough as it is without those subjects being discussed. We have Soccer for that, or where mods allow (Poker etc) it seemingly is the case where these talks are allowed in the Off-Topic threads. You can go to one of those. Just because you frequent AH doesnt mean the forum needs to accomodate you. Go to a forum that is already accomodating: Make your soccer application and wait. I dont force people in AH to talk about... Stargate. We already have a forum for it.

The only unfair thing about it is you have singled out the AH mods as part of the problem :confused: They're not involved.

Fame at last :D

Advertisement