Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

Options

Comments

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't do soccer, never have but what happened last night cross over into a topical national matter and those who frequent AH were going to want to comment on it in AH.

If the mods had of showed some foresight a single thread was all that was required with a warning to stay in it and all others merged into it, that would have meant a lot less of a work load and a lot less hassle and ill feeling.

Just my 2c.
    This is exactly what should have happened instead of laying down a heavy hand on hundreds of angry posters who don't have access to the soccer forum.

If you look at the trivial thread titles currently in After Hours and compare, an Henry thread should have been allowed. There's one now apparently but I can't check because of my ridiculous two week ban.

Frada is so gone down so fuking far in my books, I don't have an ounce of respect for his moderation anymore. He started the entire fiasco instead of dealing with it like we were real people. We're not 15 year old trolls.

If all that is on Today FM is Henry, then how could we not discuss it last night in AH? Bunch of Nazi mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

So the charter is only to be adhered to when it suits?

Threads on Soccer
    - There is a soccer forum. Posting about soccer here just because you don't have access to the soccer forum will result in the thread being locked and the user possibly being banned. You may apply for access on the Soccer Access Request forum.

The forum was overrun with soccer threads last night even though this was sticked as a warning.

At the last count there was 24 soccer threads posted, and some by people who have been around long enough to know better.
    There were only three mods on and not at the same time.

/ My 2c
    So was it a mistake by you to delete Terrys goodbye thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

In relation to AH Mods lately, most of you guys don't remember when they were allowed get away with murder, personally I think Dr.B, TheZohan and Frada have been the only AH Mods in a long time who have tried in any way to connect with the AH regular's.

Mostly Frada held it together well last night, just a pity Dr.B or Zohan weren't around the the poo hit the fan to give him a dig out as Sharpshooter is still wallowing in their shaddows, its been obvious from day one that she was on a very steep Mod learning curve, she's still grinding her gears on the lower slopes.

I would ask you to back that up please.

Also Frada TheZohan and myself were on last night when it all kicked off.

The Mod log will show who did what.

Personally I resent that attack on my modding.

Kiera wrote: »

What has that got to do with the post you quoted?

By the way, After Hours was seriously busy last night and it would have helped if Terry had helped out instead of acting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Isn't that usually the way in AH?
    I mean mods put joke rules in there at one stage re religion.

I agree that people should not use AH to get arround posting in the soccer forum but this transcended soccer and became a note worthy international issue never mind national.

I really do despair if the AH modscan't see that.
    The forum was overrun with soccer threads last night even though this was sticked as a warning.

At the last count there was 24 soccer threads posted, and some by people who have been around long enough to know better.

Yes it was when the blanket ban went down, it's called protesting.
    So many of them were protest threads, users being put out at not being able to discuss a topic of such note so they protested.

I am sure ye all have each other on IM, while I soccer factors extremely little in my life this was such big news that it found me and maybe the AH mods should have kept an weather eye on it and asked for help in the mods forum or of any the admins who were around last night.

It is what the Leaving Cert mods did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Threads on Soccer
    - There is a soccer forum. Posting about soccer here just because you don't have access to the soccer forum will result in the thread being locked and the user possibly being banned. You may apply for access on the Soccer Access Request forum.

/ My 2c

An all out ban on soccer threads is a little bit silly though considering the forum allows threads about the government (we have a politics forum), Kate Moss (Celeb & Showbiz), Your Morning Song (Music forum).....etc etc, you get my drift.

One rule for soccer, another for the rest it seems, and I presume it's because of the tribalism it brings and the AH mods don't want to deal with the hassle. If that is the case then just come out and say it.

Same goes for the ban on threads in Ranting & Raving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

We're not 15 year old trolls
    stop acting like it. ireland lost a match. ireland didn't get hit by a natural disaster or war didn't break out. bit of give and take from mods and users should have happened. single thread for the match was a good idea, too bad it was too late. bunch of clowns running around boards last night acting all entitled and banging their war drum, ridiculous. nice godwins btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Also Frada TheZohan and myself were on last night when it all kicked off.
    By the way, After Hours was seriously busy last night and it would have helped if Terry had helped out instead of acting up.

So which was it?

That none of the AH mods were on in the same time period so there was no chance of making a reasonable call on it

or

that there were mods on seeming to either refusing to mod or doing impressions of headless chickens?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One rule for soccer, another for the rest it seems.

I didn't write the Charter in After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

What has that got to do with the post you quoted?

Its just that you havent addressed it in any of your posts or replied to Terry (in here or AH). I was just wondering why you deleted his goodbye thread.

I saw how busy it was last night but if Terry has "lost that lovin feeling" from AH, then why would he help out?

At first sight (maybe even second or third) of a grumpy soccer thread one of you/AH mods should have made a mega rant thread. Instead you/AH mods banned the crap out of AH.

• Advertisement

So which was it?

That none of the AH mods were on in the same time period so there was no chance of making a reasonable call on it

or

that there were mods on seeming to either refusing to mod or doing impressions of headless chickens?

Both, at different times last night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Where was the name calling? The statement was an idiot statement. I didn't say an idiots' statement.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):) <-just thought this might stimulate you

So your a 10 your old soccer fan?
    :rolleyes:

Last reply to this.

No harm,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

sunnyjim wrote: »
    All the smiley faces in the world don't make that less of an idiot statement.

Xavi6 has himself stated that soccer forum was off the wall that night, and thats a restricted forum. So if it wasn't happening there, where could we talk?

And if people will go nuts abut football in a very heavily moderated forum what do you think will happen somewhere else

I think the AH mods were right to try and keep some form of control on it, maybe they didn't go about it in the best of ways but that is easy to say after the event

When a sh!tstorm like this hits a forum it becomes about fire fighting and not Modding and it is very difficult to deal with it so if mistakes were made people should sit back and relax a bit and think about how they would have done better, I think people are far too critical after the event

I didn't write the Charter in After Hours.
    No one is convinced by the argument being dragged back to the charter.

I have never started a soccer thread before, there is no worry of it becoming a habit for anyone.. You clearly don't have your finger on the pulse of the Irish demographic if you don't see why we wanted a place to express our feelings.

One night of allowing at least one thread would have avoided everything that has happened since.

You're trying to control people and expect them to understand their bannings when they're already angry and upset at the defeat of the game.

You do realize that's why everything got so heated? Within an hour of ireland losing on cheating, we were getting banned left right and centre by mods who clearly didn't realize the scale of what happened. It's all over the radio and newspapers. Everyone is talking about it work. It's all over Facebook.

It's everywhere except After Hours. Just to save the precious charter for a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's everywhere except After Hours. Just to save the precious charter for a night.

If you want to talk about soccer, go to the soccer forum. Stop pretending to be a victim here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This is exactly what should have happened instead of laying down a heavy hand on hundreds of angry posters who don't have access to the soccer forum.

If you look at the trivial thread titles currently in After Hours and compare, an Henry thread should have been allowed. There's one now apparently but I can't check because of my ridiculous two week ban.

Frada is so gone down so fuking far in my books, I don't have an ounce of respect for his moderation anymore. He started the entire fiasco instead of dealing with it like we were real people. We're not 15 year old trolls.

If all that is on Today FM is Henry, then how could we not discuss it last night in AH? Bunch of Nazi mods.
    Sorry if you answered this already, I might of missed it, but have you said why you didn't post in the Soccer forum in the first place?

Now, I'm off to the Ladies Lounge to talk about World of Warcraft.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Guys?

Do you not realise the kind of posts being made in AH last night was the very reason that talking about football was restricted anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Terry wrote: »
    As for my thread about resigning as mod of AH; it was deleted by SharpShooter and undeleted by me.

I have an issue with most of the newer AH mods due to the direction they are taking the forum.
    This will not be resolved any time soon.

I handed in my resignation before I started the thread and I'll keep that thread going for as long as I can.

I only started it because I felt I owed an explanation to the AH regualrs.
    As I said in the thread, I love that forum, but despise the direction it has taken during my absence.
    *sees Terry stepping down*
    *gets worried*
    Since Karoma left you were holding down the fort.
    I'll miss you. :(
    It's very easy to have a pop when you're on the outside looking in.
    How did the zero tolerance work out last night? Everyone got banned? :pac:
    By all means have a go at the running of the forum, but using last night as a benchmark is completely unfair.
    True.
    I don't do soccer, never have but what happened last night cross over into a topical national matter and those who frequent AH were going to want to comment on it in AH.

If the mods had of showed some foresight a single thread was all that was required with a warning to stay in it and all others merged into it, that would have meant a lot less of a work load and a lot less hassle and ill feeling.

Just my 2c.
    I like that idea.
    Kiera wrote: »
    *snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Well this fun :/

The question, do we have each other on IM. Don't think we do. Just leave messages in the AH mod forum. Get to the later

People need to understand that no mod is here 24/7 and here for every opportunity (good or bad).

If you get caught in the sh!t storm, so be it. It ends at some stage.

SS did what she thought was right, and is an always by the book mod. The same can be said for Terry (even more done the line at times).

Just because we mod the same forum doesn't mean we're on the same track. Said it before, different people, personalities and ways of doing things. Don't expect the right choice everything, fvck 50% of the time would be good.

The actions taken by SS at the time were right according to the charter. Soccer threads are not part of AH. But neither are celeb death threads, but we adjust and mega merge. The same could have been done for this. If I knew the game was on, I'd have tried to be online. Only found out about an hour ago when I seen this thread in work.

Like what some of you have said, AH is the general all purpose forum on Boards, but specific threads and threads of a topical nature do get moved to where they're better suited. Soccer threads are best suited to the Soccer forum. If you don't have access, get access. National interest sporting events can be in AH, especially when it deals with eveyone, not just fans.

As for Terry, I haven't seen all of what happened. Only flicked through some of the locked threads and Terry's farewell threads. Haven't read anything proper yet.
    If he wants to leave, fair enough. I'm not gonna stand in his way. He has some great qualities and some childish ones and was a great source of amusement (in a good way) . Sometimes there wasn't an even balance.

Mods don't own forums, true. But it's not Terry's playground either. Not a great way to bow out to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Last night turned out to be a good stress test for the boards modding/admin hierarchy, and its fair to say they failed. The last time anything this big happened in "soccer" it was Saipan 2002. Back then boards population was 3 men and a dog relatively speaking. Last night was always going to be the biggest night on the board ever - win or loose and the traffic that could not get in was always going to express itself in After Hours.

That no-body appears to have foreseen that at the top table suggests a bit more effort needs to be expended on planning.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Last night turned out to be a good stress test for the boards modding/admin hierarchy, and its fair to say they failed. The last time anything this big happened in "soccer" it was Saipan 2002. Back then boards population was 3 men and a dog relatively speaking. Last night was always going to be the biggest night on the board ever - win or loose and the traffic that could not get in was always going to express itself in After Hours.

That no-body appears to have foreseen that at the top table suggests a bit more effort needs to be expended on planning.

Hindsight is 20/20.

humanji wrote: »
    Sorry if you answered this already, I might of missed it, but have you said why you didn't post in the Soccer forum in the first place?

Now, I'm off to the Ladies Lounge to talk about World of Warcraft.

My post was an offer to the SSF, I didn't want to discuss in detail the match itself. I had already done that with my friends.

And why are politics threads etc. allowed in After Hours anyway using your logic?

Hindsight is 20/20.

Cop out of an answer.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Plus... we don't have to be here :/

I come here most days because I like to.

Not gonna come here to mod because I have to.
    Checking the papers to see when the forum could be really busy and be a pain in the ass. No, not me. If I'm there, I'll deal with it. If not, AWESOME!!!! I'll be back to pick up the pieces.

Failure of the modding/admin hierarchy? Would you like the Admins to plan my modding agenda? Rostered start times? I do enough of that in work. There is enough of mods in AH at the moment. We are just all online at different times. Don't expect all of use here at once to have a conference call about how we'll deal with today over a cup of coffee from starbucks and a muffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,160 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I can understand the mods were in a difficult position last night and dealt with it like any other problem, I think maybe they should have seen like any other big event and let one thread exist like they eventually did. Maybe an administrator or somebody could have stepped in sooner to get thing in order.

I also think that deleting whole threads instead of just locking them should only be done in extreme cases, at least if a thread is locked people can see the last posts and understand it, having an established thread vanish like the general french one seemed a bit over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

My post was an offer to the SSF, I didn't want to discuss in detail the match itself. I had already done that with my friends.

And why are politics threads etc. allowed in After Hours anyway using your logic?
    They shouldn't be. But if one person robs a bank, should everyone be allowed to rob a bank?

Cop out of an answer.

No, it isn't.

Would you have not suggested it in advance? If it's so obvious?

I'm sure they'll be better prepared the next time.

Rabies wrote: »

Failure of the modding/admin hierarchy? Would you like the Admins to plan my modding agenda? Rostered start times? I do enough of that in work. There is enough of mods in AH at the moment.

A bit of planning goes a long way, it not a question of rostering just a question of realising when boards is likely to be very very busy if last night wasn't even considered then thats a failure. I trust the mod-hut (or admins are in a huddle) discussing last nights fiasco. If not then nothing will be learned. There were 1000 people looking at the soccer board last night at one point, even at midnight it was 250 users, 350 guests. I'm guessing AH was similair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Overheal wrote: »
    Also as was well established last year with Snyper's stunt to gain temporary moderatorship of The Ladies Lounge - the operation of the website is not for ransom, at any price.

oi!That stunt raised over 400 quid.

I ransom dev if i got enough for ssf

• Advertisement

A bit of planning goes a long way, it not a question of rostering just a question of realising when boards is likely to be very very busy if last night wasn't even considered then thats a failure. I trust the mod-hut (or admins are in a huddle) discussing last nights fiasco. If not then nothing will be learned. There were 1000 people looking at the soccer board last night at one point, even at midnight it was 250 users, 350 guests. I'm guessing AH was similair.

AH probably was. I don't know.
    When there is a big event on, like most people. I'm watching it on the tv, I'm there, or I'm doing something else. I'm not thinking about rushing to Boards to make sure the forum is ok.
    Is that self centred? Yes it is.

I'm sure the soccer mods knew it was coming. Not sure if they were all there or ran from their tv sets after the game to jump on line.

Boards is Fun

Boards is not work.

Advertisement