Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I think the original response was fine. My thread was kept open, I was infracted (I probably deserved it, ah well). Any other threads on the subject were locked and told to discuss it in the thread I started. People would have got the idea. When this thread got closed, a million others were started. Personally, I think they should have just stuck to the one.

Just my tuppence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I know what we need! Even more rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

After Hours is not a Football Forum.

Sorry for replying so late to all of you.

There was a sticky saying all posters who started a Football Thread would be banned as of the time of the sticky being posted.

Anyone that got a ban after that has only themselves to blame.

Have any of you actually looked at the first page of AHs??

Or given consideration to the amount of time it takes to close a thread or in tonight's case multiple threads and answer all PMs regarding the closing of said threads.

I have to say tonight was a disappointment in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

AH is their little boys (and sharpshooter) club and now there is a feeding frenzy where they can ban at will. I have the feeling that they were waiting for something like this for a long time, and they can't contain themselves.

Another prime example why boards.ie should not be taken too seriously.

Cue the usual responses from mods in Feedback, which is another playground for people with multi-k posts and little social skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's Ireland getting knocked out of the World Cup in a game where they played alot better than the 98 Champions.
    It's Ireland getting knocked out of the World Cup based on a crazy hand ball where he blatently passed it to Gallas.

This is nothing to do with soccer, it's national fuking pride.
    Look Im very sorry to hear that Ireland's been knocked out but that does not give you an excuse to throw a tantrum and knock over the couches in one of this website's most popular forums just for your own personal satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

CuLT wrote: »
    Speak for yourself dude, as far as I'm concerned, it's only a game.

I certainly wasn't feeling any hurt or anger or sadness, except for the amount of morons who seem to oscillate between the states of "raving, racist hooligan" and "gay for every other man in the same coloured T-shirt" with no other emotion in between. (present company excluded, of course).

Soccer is the place for soccer for a good reason. You saw a fragment of that reason this evening.

That's ridiculous, and you know it. Not every thread has a distinct line to identify where it belongs. AH is the place where supposedly, anything can go. Within reason.
    I have to say tonight was a disappointment in many ways.

Very true, sharpshooter. A huge occasion that involved most of Ireland, and they had no where to discuss it.

I noticed no-one banned Makikomi, over his thread. Or closed Terrys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would have thought an internet chat room was one of the correct channels.

My original post was actually to complain about a post and thread (which AFAIK have now both been removed) that I felt were thumbing their nose at users whose threads of a similar theme were being shut down.

As I said, personally I feel (as somebody not dealing with it) that a single thread may have been useful to accommodate the deluge, but AH does have a non-soccer thread policy and nobody could have predicted the events (and subsequent sheer volume of threads and emotion) of tonight. /shrugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Overheal wrote: »
    @ TomCo: you might try the Sports root forum if a handball/raquetball/squash forum does not yet exist: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Oh yeah, didn't actually know there was a general sports forum.
    A subcatagory for all sports involving a net might be prudent, but then we'd be back to football again.

Can of worms so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Papad wrote: »
    AH is their little boys (and sharpshooter) club and now there is a feeding frenzy where they can ban at will. I have the feeling that they were waiting for something like this for a long time, and they can't contain themselves.

Another prime example why boards.ie should not be taken too seriously.

Cue the usual responses from mods in Feedback, which is another playground for people with multi-k posts and little social skills.

Anyone else think AH felt exactly like a bad schoolclass tonight? The supply teacher can't cope with all the kids playing up so she sends them all outside?

After Hours is not a Football Forum.

Neither is it a Politics forum, a travel forum, the slydice forum, a ranting and raving forum, a restaurant reviews forum, a humanities/philosophies forum, a media forum, a celebrity and showbiz forum etc. etc.

I'm sure you get the idea.

So people now need to weigh up carefully where their conversation should reside, instead of just proceeding with normal social skills and graces, which should be enough for anyone*?

*If they can't do that, that's where moderation comes into play. Not in trying to pigeonhole everything and everyone.

• Advertisement

Look Im very sorry to hear that Ireland's been knocked out but that does not give you an excuse to throw a tantrum and knock over the couches in one of this website's most popular forums just for your own personal satisfaction.

A tantrum? I offered 20euro to SSF and in a friendly manner. 2 weeks of a ban for that.

I threw my fuking toys all over the place in Feedback where I believe is the correct place to do it.

I have nearly 8000 posts on this site in the last 7 years and it's always been a case of the mods having an ego trip when it comes to bans.
    Infractions would have had the same effect tonight. Outright bans were a completely ridiculous method to deal with a huge amount of regular posters like myself who wanted to vent frustration.

We're not fuking trolls. We don't deserve 2 weeks away out from regular posting because of one night's slip up.

brummytom wrote: »
    Anyone else think AH felt exactly like a bad schoolclass tonight? The supply teacher can't cope with all the kids playing up so she sends them all outside?

I love this post because you're still in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Neither is it a Politics forum, a travel forum, the slydice forum, a ranting and raving forum, a restaurant reviews forum, a humanities/philosophies forum, a media forum, a celebrity and showbiz forum etc. etc.

I'm sure you get the idea.

So people now need to weigh up carefully where their conversation should reside, instead of just proceeding with normal social skills and graces, which should be enough for anyone*?

*If they can't do that, that's where moderation comes into play. Not in trying to pigeonhole everything and everyone.

exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Rev. BlueJeans, you're making a good arguement for getting rid of after hours, not for allowing soccer to be discussed in multiple places.

After hours isn't about any one topic, its about low brow discussion. Low brow discussion of soccer isn't allow of boards.ie any longer. Simple as that.
    sunnyjim wrote: »
    I noticed no-one banned Makikomi, over his thread.

Don't be silly, no one crosses Makikomi.

I have nearly 8000 posts on this site in the last 7 years
    News to me Batman. What was your Bruce Wayne exactly?

Boston wrote: »
    Rev. BlueJeans, you're making a good arguement for getting rid of after hours, not for allowing soccer to be discussed in multiple places.

That isn't my intention, but I can see what you mean :)
    After hours isn't about any one topic, its about low brow discussion. Low brow discussion of soccer isn't allow of boards.ie any longer. Simple as that.

Agreed on the first part, but while I don't want to get into Soccer moderation, this was a particular topical event, and is a symptom of the way ah has gone in general lately.
    Don't be silly, no one crosses Makikomi.

Darn straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gotta say, as someone who'd pretty much never post here or have any opinion on how the mods do what they do, I believe they're letting themselves down tonight.

There is literally nowhere on this site to talk about the match. I am a member of the Soccer Forum and am not going near it or I'll lose my ability to post forever.
    Are you Softbanned or something? Or is it just you know you cant conduct yourself in a civil manner, and you know whatever you have to say is Bannable?

Either way: Sleep it off.

News to me Batman. What was your Bruce Wayne exactly?

I've had four of five others.. since before leaving cert even. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Gotta say, as someone who'd pretty much never post here or have any opinion on how the mods do what they do, I believe they're letting themselves down tonight.

Same as myself. I always thought the mods in AH did a decent job......until tonight.

• Advertisement

Shrug, the bigger we get the more likely you'll get groups of individuals taking the piss whenever an exception to the normal rules is made. Even allowing discussion of soccer on forums such as poker hasn't been totally without users abusing the allowance given them. If you want to blame something, blame the change nature of the site and the increasing attitude of entitlement coming from the user base. "I have a right to talk about X, and I've a right to call the moderator a ****ing prick if he doesn't allow me to". This nonsense isn't going to endear me to support the Op's position.

Are you Softbanned or something? Or is it just you know you cant conduct yourself in a civil manner, and you know whatever you have to say is Bannable?

Either way: Sleep it off.

Condescending to the last. Are you forgetting there's a real person the other side of this username?

Just because you can get on your high horse on boards does not give you the right to tell me to "sleep it off".

This is getting to the point where I'm only going to only use boards a place for useful information. I get told what to do in work, I'm not going to get told what to do on the internet.

Condescending to the last. Are you forgetting there's a real person the other side of this username?

Just because you can get on your high horse on boards does not give you the right to tell me to "sleep it off".

This is getting to the point where I'm only going to only use boards a place for useful information. I get told what to do in work, I'm not going to get told what to do on the internet.

In fairness the above sound like drunken aggressiveness.

Regardless of personal squabbles, surely things could have been handled much, much better on AH tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

jumpguy wrote: »
    Can't understand why Tom's thread was closed...and then Terry's opened. Mods should've let one open and direct everything into their.

Can understand the rest of their decisions though. AH would've been flooded with them!

I closed Terry's thread, and rightly so imo.
    Jesus, its a message board man, not a panel deciding someones life or death.

No one broke rules in AH ffs.

Actually, yes they did.
    stovelid wrote: »
    I actually agree with the lockdown on football threads in AH until everyone has cooled down. People need to relax or vent in the correct channels.

That said, I was a bit surprised at the boycott french thread.

And the hand of god post (posted in the locked sticky warning thread that garnered a predictable fool's chorus of thanks) that now seems to have been deleted.

If mods are trolling about the match, how do you expect the plebs to keep schtum?

Why should a boycott french thread be left open just because it was started by a Mod of After Hours?

Any user that had started that thread would have got the same response.
    I love how the AH mods have been replying to every thread in order to get the locked ones out of sight.

:rolleyes:

Show me where that happened.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    AH is a lot like soccer, actually, in that everyone who doesn't run it knows how to run it better.

So true.
    That's ridiculous, and you know it. Not every thread has a distinct line to identify where it belongs. AH is the place where supposedly, anything can go. Within reason.

Very true, sharpshooter. A huge occasion that involved most of Ireland, and they had no where to discuss it.

I noticed no-one banned Laila Square Fumble, over his thread. Or closed Terrys.

MakiKomi has been notified and Terry's thread was closed by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

This is getting to the point where I'm only going to only use boards a place for useful information..

thats all it is mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Terrible behaviour tonight.

All it does is validate the reason why the Football forum has such tight controls. I mean, jesus christ, some moronic football fans (is there any other type :rolleyes:) don't get their way so they spam AH with dozens of childish threads? I have never seen so many reported posts in such a short space of time, and so much work created for the mods.

Fcuking retards the lot of yee, and there are a few moderators included in there, who should know better than to be creating more hassle for fellow mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I closed Terry's thread, and rightly so imo.

Actually, yes they did.

Why should a boycott french thread be left open just because it was started by a Mod of After Hours?

Any user that had started that thread would have got the same response.

Show me where that happened.

So true.

MakiKomi has been notified and Terry's thread was closed by me.

oh god a mod multi quoting, they must be right so.

What happened to Terry's farewell thread?

• Advertisement

Why dont you explain then why you dont post in Soccer if, reportedly, you are not banned from there and in fact have access to post there. Or are yourself banned, despite your username not being so?

If you have a reason please share it, and I will apologize for jumping to a conclusion.

@Sharpshooter: props for maintaining order.

Advertisement