Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

What happened to Terry's farewell thread?
    Yeah? Did he delete it himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

What happened to Terry's farewell thread?

Was just wondering the same thing?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

dreamers75 wrote: »
    oh god a mod multi quoting, they must be right so.

Don't you multi quote?

It saves time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

TBH now there should have been a thread in Ranting and raving left open for the duration of the night to let everyone have their say.

Soccor forum is for soccer, fair enough. But the world cup is about Ireland moreso than soccer.

This is a big 'up yours' to the users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Theres a thread open now in AH for the match. Bit late IMO.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Posters are indeed what make the forum. Look at what you've made out of AH tonight. Proud of yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

jd007 wrote: »
    Theres a thread open now in AH for the match. Bit late IMO.....

Very, very, very late. All this could have been avoided with a little forward planning and common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Very, very, very late. All this could have been avoided with a little forward planning and common sense.
    Something which Im sure will be learned from, in the morrow.

For now, Here is the Official AH Match Thread.

All the rest I have to add is what I said above and what super furry said: Forward Planning.

Secondly anybody that conducted themselves cordially tonight and got banned from AH for posting a soccer thread etc. out of ignorance should have their bans reviewed, in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Can someone give Terry my regards, he's one of my favourite mods.

edit: Never mind, I'll go do it myself.
    Jesus, you want a job done.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Oh sweet Joseph, husband of Mary but not father of sweet Jesus.
    AH is not the soccer forum.
    Soccer threads have been forbidden in AH for as long as I can remember.
    Don't have access to the soccer forum?
    Apply.

Every day there is a request for some new niche forum in the forums forum.
    Some are approved.
    Then a related thread shows up in AH and someone reports the post and requests it be moved to said niche forum.

6 weeks later and said niche forum is dead and it all comes back to AH.
    There's no pleasing some people.

As for my thread about resigning as mod of AH; it was deleted by SharpShooter and undeleted by me.

I have an issue with most of the newer AH mods due to the direction they are taking the forum.
    This will not be resolved any time soon.

I handed in my resignation before I started the thread and I'll keep that thread going for as long as I can.

I only started it because I felt I owed an explanation to the AH regualrs.
    As I said in the thread, I love that forum, but despise the direction it has taken during my absence.

And other crap.

• Advertisement

@TomCo I'd PM him.

I would in thread, but thats circumventing your ban, then I'd get banned...feck what has happened to AH?

@Terrance Im shocked but as for the moment all I can say is thank you for stating your piece. I've seen some Legendary people storm off boards in some fashion without ever an explanation to the regular user what caused them to leave. Some of you know the lovely man which I speak of.

Im glad of the insight, if anything.

With a cooler head though does this not all seem like sweeping dramatics due to tonight's more Infamous events? I guess not. Its true we havent seen a whole bunch of your character in AH for a while.

I guess with that, I'd like to see the end user involved in whatever debate has been going on behind the Curtain if it is causing so much unrest. We had an AH Improvement Thread not too long ago and have not heard anything back from it - except this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Well, this has been a hell of a clusterfuck. Allow me to describe the events from my point of view. Early in the evening, this thread was started. I said at the time that any more threads would lead to bannings.

Several hours later, after the match was lost, brummytom started his thread on the topic. I realised that it was a particularly controversial result, so I allowed it to continue as the only thread on the subject, even though that might be seen as hypocritical. I just thought that letting one thread go would be okay as I knew that there would be a rake of threads ahead otherwise. I then started to ban other users for starting their own threads, as per my warnings.

This is where it gets tricky. I foolishly didn't alert my fellow mods when I allowed that thread to continue, so Sharpshooter closed it on sight. Instead of telling her that I wanted to keep it open, I kept silent because I genuinely thought that I had made a mistake in the first place by keeping it open, nor did I want to undermine her by reopening the thread right away again. Should've spoken up then or something. Certainly should have edited the thread title to indicate that it was the only thread to post in relating to the match. Anyway, I was too busy trying to keep up to even breathe. I also left my computer for a while to make a sandwich.

That's pretty much when the glorious flurry of bannings began. Unfair bannings? Many people think so. I don't see why though, it's not like this is a new development for After Hours. Check out this paragraph from the charter, written four years ago:
    Giblet wrote: »
    Threads on Soccer
    - There is a soccer forum. Posting about soccer here just because you don't have access to the soccer forum will result in the thread being locked and the user possibly being banned. You may apply for access on the Soccer Access Request forum.

Seems fairly clear-cut to me. I apologise for not letting the others know about brummytom's thread and my intentions with it, that's really the mistake that lead to this mess imo.

Anyway. Anyone who's been banned for soccer threads may PM me and I'll lift them as quickly as I can. Personal abuse and other punishments don't apply so don't expect them to.

I might state though that I'm lifting the bans because of a mistake I made, not because it's okay to talk about Soccer in AH. Normal rules apply after this mess has been cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Oh yeah.
    The boycott France thread.
    The irony seemed to be lost on some people.

Allow me to explain briefly.
    Everyone is up in arms over the actions of one French person.
    When any ethnic minority so much as looks at someone wrong, we get a 50 page thread about it in AH.

i don't think I need to explain it any further.

Terry wrote: »
    Oh sweet Joseph, husband of Mary but not father of sweet Jesus.
    AH is not the soccer forum.
    Soccer threads have been forbidden in AH for as long as I can remember.
    Don't have access to the soccer forum?
    Apply.

Oh sweet Mary, wife of Joseph.

It's about time.

AHs was a nightmare last night.

Oh yeah.

When any ethnic minority so much as looks at someone wrong, we get a 50 page thread about it in AH.

We let Yank threads go on till the cows come home too. I know its not ethnicity but - still.

For the same reason I personally didnt see anything too wrong with the boycott thread - hence why I endorsed it in this same thread.

People will always want to discuss such issues. Talking about killings doesnt make you a killer just as discussing inter-ethnic politics etc. is not inherently discriminatory or racist. Until someone says something retarted like Burn the Frogs or all the Fat c*nting yanks can choke on a hot dog.

@Frada in light of your testament I want you to all go lock yourself in a room and comeback out holding hands. :)

But no funny business while you're in there: Snyper's asleep. It wouldnt be fair.

edit: Dude, you dont need to explain a French Boycott to a yank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Overheal wrote: »

I think that you did your fair share of antagonizing tonight on various threads.

Oh yeah.

I think you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

were people banned from discussing football or discussing
    Theirry Henrys handball?

the man himself even admits it was handball, so technically any threads on the incident was about handball not football

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/republicofireland/6599687/Thierry-Henry-admits-to-handball-that-defeated-Ireland-in-World-Cup-play-off.html

oh and I'd like to add that I avoid AH most of the time because of the modding, you never know when someone is gonna turn on you and give you a 2week ban, its not a relaxed enough environment, I just concentrate most of my time in the 'learning/swapping info' forums here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Why should a boycott french thread be left open just because it was started by a Mod of After Hours?

Because a thread advocating the boycotting of everything French is not a thread about football.

If there had been riots in France after the game would we be allowed to talk about them?

If a Thread is specifically about football then fine it should be moved to the soccer forum if not then it dose not go against the charter and should not be locked.

If something fits within the charter for After Hours it should not be locked or moved. The Mod job is to enforce the rules set out in the charter not to make up their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

the man himself even admits it was handball, so technically any threads on the incident was about handball not football

Well, since my totally unrelated thread about childhood handball experiences was locked maybe its ball related sports that are off limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The place has gone to shyte, and I was always a grumpy bastard.

Ask the users to vote for christmas threads? They vote yes overwhelmingly, but are only allowed post in one single thread.

The biggest sporting event in our country in years? Go sign a disclaimer to post on another forum.

The mods in AH have lost the plot, and are completely out of touch. With Terry gone, Dr B is the only decent one left. Sharpshooter in particular has wrecked the buzz in there.

Unfortunately, its happening all over the site. As soon as Ive got email adresses from the users I interact with, I'm deleting my account for good. It used to be a place where the mood of the public was reflected. Now its just a place where the moods of the mods are reflected.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's very easy to have a pop when you're on the outside looking in.

There were a few fora that went into meltdown last night, and they became pretty much unworkable for a period of time. There were literally hundreds (possibly even over a thousand at one point) users reading Soccer and AH at the same time. Whether you like football or not, last night was a travesty and people naturally wanted to express their outrage.

With such a high amount of active posters, the ratio of moderators was not exactly the best (mods have real lives too) so naturally it was going to be a difficult situation. I know in Soccer there were two of us and we got slated, and it looks to have been the same in AH.

They were exceptional circumstances, and there were a number of users doing their best to increase the already heavy workload.

By all means have a go at the running of the forum, but using last night as a benchmark is completely unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why should a boycott french thread be left open just because it was started by a Mod of After Hours?

Any user that had started that thread would have got the same response.

Fair enough.

It was still open when I posted and had got to a riper old age than most of the other threads on the same topic. I mistakenly assumed that it would therefore stay open.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I post in after hours and I'd prefer it not covered with "match talk", keep sport to the sport forums :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

All the smiley faces in the world don't make that less of an idiot statement.

Xavi6 has himself stated that soccer forum was off the wall that night, and thats a restricted forum. So if it wasn't happening there, where could we talk?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sunnyjim wrote: »
    All the smiley faces in the world don't make that less of an idiot statement.

Its statements like this that show why soccer talk should be restricted....people overreact and start name calling and this gets them in trouble.

This isn't a soccer discussion "as such" and you've already resorted to such, :rolleyes:
    Xavi6 has himself stated that soccer forum was off the wall that night, and thats a restricted forum. So if it wasn't happening there, where could we talk?

Well obviously not in After Hours :)
    If you had registered for the soccer forum you could have atleast been able to try and post in it....of course you choose not to register for access so thats not my fault or problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Where was the name calling? The statement was an idiot statement. I didn't say an idiots' statement.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):) <-just thought this might stimulate you
    If you had registered for the soccer forum you could have atleast been able to try and post in it....of course you choose not to register for access so thats not my fault or problem.

This isn't about me, or any individual. It's about the users, the people who make this site. As xavi clearly writes - :):) - soccer forum was mayhem last night.

Last reply to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't do soccer, never have but what happened last night cross over into a topical national matter and those who frequent AH were going to want to comment on it in AH.

If the mods had of showed some foresight a single thread was all that was required with a warning to stay in it and all others merged into it, that would have meant a lot less of a work load and a lot less hassle and ill feeling.

Just my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

sunnyjim wrote: »
    T

I noticed no-one banned Makikomi

Probably because it had nothing to do with soccer. More along the lines of todays tabloid headlines, people were welcome to put anything into it.

Personally I could care less about soccer, the result of last nights game makes a mere bleep on yesterdays radar, I'm sure by lunchtime today I'll be cursing Thierry only because of the bleating hordes bending my ear's over his cheating.

In relation to AH Mods lately, most of you guys don't remember when they were allowed get away with murder, personally I think Dr.B, TheZohan and Frada have been the only AH Mods in a long time who have tried in any way to connect with the AH regular's.

Terry is his own man, he does as he please, Yet again he's saying he's leaving AH - I won't hold my breath, he's a good man, great craic and sense of humour but if he really does go - well its a good decision by Terry.

Mostly Frada held it together well last night, just a pity Dr.B or Zohan weren't around the the poo hit the fan to give him a dig out as Sharpshooter is still wallowing in their shaddows, its been obvious from day one that she was on a very steep Mod learning curve, she's still grinding her gears on the lower slopes.

How would I have handled it differently, well like most things in life when the poo hits the fan its sometimes I put on your helmet, baton down the hatches and sit out the storm until morning then clean up the pieces.

I wouldn't like to see Frada get it in the neck, he was fighting a forest fire single handed for most of the evening.

Well done Frada.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't do soccer, never have but what happened last night cross over into a topical national matter and those who frequent AH were going to want to comment on it in AH.

If the mods had of showed some foresight a single thread was all that was required with a warning to stay in it and all others merged into it, that would have meant a lot less of a work load and a lot less hassle and ill feeling.

Just my 2c.

So the charter is only to be adhered to when it suits?

Threads on Soccer
    - There is a soccer forum. Posting about soccer here just because you don't have access to the soccer forum will result in the thread being locked and the user possibly being banned. You may apply for access on the Soccer Access Request forum.

The forum was overrun with soccer threads last night even though this was sticked as a warning.

At the last count there was 24 soccer threads posted, and some by people who have been around long enough to know better.
    There were only three mods on and not at the same time.

/ My 2c

Advertisement