Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you choose a c-section over a natural birth?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

ash23 wrote: »
    Emergency sections mean general anasthetics.

So "elective" doesn't mean "chosen".

Not precisely; emergency sections are often done with an extension of epidural.

Elective, in this scenario would best be described as 'planned', even if that planning is only done a short time beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cheeeesecake

I had a natural birth with my daughter nearly 6 years ago. I was being threatened with a C-Sec but in the end had a "failed" venteuse (sp?) and somehow managed to push. I had an epidural so when the time came to push I had zero feeling and had no idea what I supposed to be doing and was more concerned about the various people around watching than anything else!!

I've got nothing against C-Secs, apart from having a phobia of being operated on hah!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am starting to realise that I may have to have an "elective C-Section" as I have had major abdominal surgery in the past, I just want what is best for my baby but I do want to be awake when she arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You might not have to.
    I know someone who had a c section type operation to removed a mass of endometrosis and then when she had her first born needed a emgerency c section but when she had her second had a vagainal birth.

So just because you have had such surgery it doens't mean you automatically will need a c section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Natural all the way.

Our bodies are designed for it and as far as I'm aware the complications have been proven to be much higher amongst c-section births. Its major surgery and not something I want to put my body through if it's not necessary.

I'd also like to be able to pick up and cuddle my child without feeling agony :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Well.....

I had both my little angels naturally. 1st one I was as high as a kite from the gas & air so remember very little apart from the sun rising in the window & my GP arriving in with the master & us having great craic. ( NOT)He was 6 weeks early so he just kinda slid on the first push no major dramas.

2nd angel mega different sceal. Went into labour at 29 weeks.
    So at the last min she turned breech but thanks to our divine health service there was no staff to man the theatre. But I also caught an infection so all I got was a panadol! So there I was with my panadol & told PUSH !

Yep pushing a breech bambino on a panadol is HELL ON EARTH. Major major drama - she got stuck, delivery was closed, millions of midwives running everywhere - pure panic! (Thanks Peter Lenihan - you know you are my God) & a miracle shes alive

So I think next time ill have a little C section..Thank you very much ...... LOL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You might not have to.
    I know someone who had a c section type operation to removed a mass of endometrosis and then when she had her first born needed a emgerency c section but when she had her second had a vagainal birth.

So just because you have had such surgery it doens't mean you automatically will need a c section.
    Will ask the gynae on Friday...have a huge scar from the surgery that goes from my bellybutton up so will have to see. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

I always said C-Section. But my sister in law had to have one on her second Baba recently and she said she would NEVER advise anyone to do it by choice. the pain and after-effects last for much longer. she couldn't even lift the baby herself for weeks. So i figure, natural might seem more scary in my opinion, but i'd rather go through a days worth of pain than a few weeks of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

I've had both,
    Emergency C Sec on my first, and natural on my second... And I would definitely reccomend avoiding sections if possible! Yeah it's hard work giving birth, but after my section I was in a lot of pain and couldnt really move properly for a few days, and faced a long recovery after that, not being able to drive for weeks wasnt nice either.

Ten minutes after I had my second, I was sitting up in the bed having a cuppa and a biscuit, not a bother on me.. Once they're out, it's over, there's no major recovery just a bit of a sting for a few days!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mutleyhound

Every1 is getting a little worked up here! For the love of god if there is someone reading this that is going in to labour...chilllllll - chillllll out....never mind what exit the baby is taking, get the book you bought and throw it out the window....like a clown I bought 2 books, 1 showing how things progress through pregnancy the other was someone putting a funny slant on things, would not recommend the latter - maybe in 5 years!
    Labour is brought on and can be managed by your body if you are allowing yourself to produce the endorphins it needs, if at all possible try not to get put on your back, it is not necessary to push if you are lucky enough to keep calm and work with it and relax, your body will develop it's own rhythm and take over - if you let it, contractions will open and lower your baby...there is no head to blow a head gasket! babys move and there are ways of moving them into a position but not always, if you have to have a 'C' section - what of it if you and your baby are healthy that's priority. I had a ball and an mp3 - I am some1 that is scared of hospitals, freaked out by all the machines, tune out of the room tune into your body, relax as best you can, i really do recommend inflating your tummy when a contraction comes and beathing out as the wave passes, it makes sense - your making more room for your baby to move down. It's not about being posh, it's not about pushing, it's not about freaking each other out with horror stories, get comfortable in your surroundings have some1 with you that makes you feel safe, relax relax relax and it will happen..good luck to every1!! I'm not touting for any1 but will say mongan method worked for me, not all of it....take what you need from it some bits require a large pinch of salt! and good luck!!! Whatever way it happens YOU'VE HAD A BABY...WELL DONE!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No need to resurrect threads that are over a year old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement