Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you choose a c-section over a natural birth?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I'm just saying that the agenda here is obvious - and has been done before. You want to slag off on women who choose to have a c section for a reason you don't deem appropriate. I mean, I think you'll find that most people on this board will agree with you. So why did I bother replying? Because it's actually a decision I'll have to make, and one I'll have to think very hard about. Seeing it reduced to drivel like this time and again is tiresome.

I don't want to "slag off" anyone, meta, least of all someone with a medical issue. If you choose to take offence, that's your shout but don't make me out to be a judgemental bltch because I tried to clarify a post that could have come across badly.

I said I "wasn't sure" about elective c-sections because I don't know if it even exists as a practice medically, and I don't know if any/many women actually even want do this, or if it's a media-created phenomenon - I wasn't looking down my nose at anyone or their choices. If you'd have bothered to ask me to elaborate instead of attacking me, I'd have explained that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Epidural have come along way over the last 20/30 years, my own Mam didn't want me having one due to her experience and experiences of other women form when she was having kids her self but that was a long time ago.

Her epidural was only 13 years ago!She didn't have one on her 2nd baby and saod it was waaay better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Khannie wrote: »
    Can you just choose to have a section anyway? I thought that whole "too posh to push" thing was all rubbish. I thought you needed a medical reason to have a section.

My mum's a nurse and trained midwife. She told me that if you opt to go privately, you can chose to have a section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Public or private are not all women encouraged to have a natural birth(+/- epidural) for their first birth experience? And that a c-section is only carried out under extreme circumstances(or prevailing medical reasons) in this instance?

Public or private are not all women encouraged to have a natural birth(+/- epidural) for their first birth experience? And that a c-section is only carried out under extreme circumstances(or prevailing medical reasons) in this instance?

Perhaps they are encouraged to have a natural birth but not necessarily forced. My understanding,from what I've been told by nurses and midwifes I know, is that if you opt to go privately, you can choose to have a section, if you want one.

Sections are carried out within extreme circumstances and for medical reasons too, but seemingly, they can also be carried out due to personal choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

metaoblivia and shellyboo, you are both welcome to post in this thread as long as you are not being passive aggressive towards each other, otherwise please cease posting in this thread altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Em... When I went into labour... I was induced and they wanted to get her out as quickly as they could as I had really high blood pressure.. Was going for the natural thing.. wasn't going very well for me as I'm only ickle.. so then they decided they were going to give me a section... but then it was too late for a section... So she was born naturally.

After that experience if I was to have another baby and could choose I would go with a section. Not just for the fact that I was afraid of the pain. Just because it took my body so long to heal I wasnt able to do a lot for the first few weeks:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    it took my body so long to heal I wasnt able to do a lot for the first few weeks:(

You'd face a similarly uncomfortable and long recovery from a section as I understand it.

You'd face a similarly uncomfortable and long recovery from a section as I understand it.

Yeah but 8/9 months later I still wasn't healed properly.
    For the first year I was to and from doctors:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ouchies! That's pretty bad alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think I'd prefer a natural birth, but my OH would have to stay RIGHT by my head. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Think I'm the first one to say this and controversial as it sounds I'm pretty sure if I could elect for a c-section I'd choose that. Firstly I guess because I have had numerous invasive surgeries in my life time one more wouldn't seem too daunting. But mostly because I have been utterly scarred and traumatised from listening to the multiple post vaginal birth complications that can affect women for a lifetime after giving birth.

Most people would have you believe that the female body is a wonderful and magical entity which snaps back from childbirth like a rubber band, leaving little or no side effects. I know numerous women who have testified behind closed doors that they've never been the same since. From internal stitching that never ceased to hurt, looseness and lack of feeling, haemorrhoids that stayed with them for life, weakened bladders and all round saggy vaginas, there's enough info there to make me not want to risk it.

Maybe when/if I become pregnant I'll change my mind and if I do, I do, but at this moment in time I think it'd be c section all the way. All you have to do is watch one of those embarrassing bodies programmes to see what natural childbirth can do to some women. I wouldn't be one to usually base a stock opinion on a small percentage of telly patients, but couple that with chatting to the women I know who have given birth naturally, there are few who come out of it without some nasty and often life long side effects.

I'd love to be wrong - maybe some people here who have given birth naturally can tell me everything pops back perfectly????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

To me, it seems bizarre that anybody would choose abdominal surgery over birth unless there is a obvious reason for it.

pookie82 wrote: »
    Think I'm the first one to say this and controversial as it sounds I'm pretty sure if I could elect for a c-section I'd choose that.

I feel the same. I don't care to explain my reasons here, but I've explained them to the people in my life who need to know, should I fall pregnant.

That said, I don't plan on having children for a long time - and in time, my mind and / or reasons may change.

Ouchies! That's pretty bad alright.

Yup.. I guess I just dont have those "child bearing hips":pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I was a c sectioned baby bassicaly my mum wasnt really supposed to be having children she broke her back... So we came out through her how ever it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I would have always said I was "too posh to push" but after seeing my cousins stomach and wound last week the day of her section and then 4 days later and now shes turned me - if and when Ill be pushing them out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I would. Given the choice that is.

I had a section on my little un and that was nearly 7 years ago. If I had the option of having a section I think I'd choose it.

For a few reasons. Mainly because it's what I know. After such a gap (and I'm single so I'm guessing it'll be another few years before more babies are on the cards), i would feel like a first time mum all over again. It'd all be new and scary again and the only thing/way I know is c section. So for me, that'd be a plus.

Also, I found my section quite a positive experience. I had no pain during surgery, a fair bit after but by morning I was walking (well, shuffling) down to have a shower. By day 2 I was able to get up myself and pick bubs up myself. By day 3 I was able to bend and lift.

The following are lesser reasons as the 2 above are my main ones but these are other "perks" I can think of. Yes, my tummy is wretched now, I have overhang over my section scar but it isn't going away. So another one won't do any harm to that. However, my hoo ha is the one part of me that is still grand. I've been with guys who were "surprised" by it when they knew I had a child. I'm not saying it happens to everyone but I have always placated myself with my tight hoo ha when looking at my scarred, hanging tummy pouch. I don't want to risk losing that too!

I also like the idea of not having to go overdue and being able to get organised for the due date, knowing when bubs would arrive. Especially with work and my other little one. Babysitters, time off for the dad etc could all be arranged in advance.

There is also the risk of uterine rupture when having a vaginal birth after a c section which scares me.

And I never felt I missed out by not giving birth vaginally, nor do I feel it affected the bonding process with my daughter.

So to sum it up, I'm pretty happy with the way my daughters delivery went and if I were given the choice I think i'd prefer to have as similar an experience as that one as was possible as opposed to dipping my toe into the great unknown!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

Apologies for my ignorance but what exactly defines a "baby in distress"?

Is it raised heart rate or something?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My wife just had a child. A planned C Section was performed. The section went great but the after has been very painful. Its 2 weeks since my wife had the child and she is only starting to move this week. The pain was bad. As she is breast feeding the panadol is sh1t for pain relief. I am out of work at the moment. We give thanks for this. They say you cant life a kettle. They are not wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It's really hard to answer this question when it's hypothetical. Right now, I'd probably go for the section. For me, it's not quite as trivial as saying it's because I don't want the "ickiness" of a natural birth. When I think of giving birth naturally...I feel a real fear. Maybe that's normal, I don't know...but that fear would probably impact on my decision to have my own children at all if I knew there was no other option.

That said, if I were pregnant and actually facing it for real, I could very well feel quite differently. I'd probably have a whole different perspective on it than I do now.

Mind you, the idea of having children in general scares the bejeesus out of me...so maybe I'm biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

In many many years to come I like to think that I'll be going with a natural birth. I like the idea of it- women have been doing it for years and years, it's all very natural. I mean (don't kill me!) it's what we're made for!!!

However, if there was a complication, i'd have no problem having a section. As long as the baby's safe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Seonad wrote: »
    Apologies for my ignorance but what exactly defines a "baby in distress"?

Is it raised heart rate or something?:confused:

A lot of things can define a "baby in distress" such as:
    • High Heart Rate
    • Low Heart Rate
    • Meconium (Babies first poo) in the amniotic fluid
    • Umbilicol Cord wrapped around babies neck

I'm sure there's more but I'm not a medical professional unfortunately!

I had an emergency c section under general anesthetic last year (epidural/spinal block was not working), and recovered from it pretty quickly in my book anyways! I've heard of women who could not walk or move for days afterwards or who got infections in their scars etc. I went shopping in Tesco the day I got out of the hospital as I felt soooo cabin feverish after spending five days in hospital.

My emergency section was as a result of my babies heart rate dropping everytime I had a contraction. Apparently my pelvis was squeezing babies head too early on in the labour.

I don't think I'd opt for another c section, but if I was advised to have one I would have to think seriously about the pros and cons of going through natural labour again (could same thing happen and have to be rushed in for emergency c section again, uterine rupture etc...).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I don't plan to have children atm and may never have them but if I wanted to a c-section is recommended as I have bad eye sight - each eye with a different problem - and pushing can cause all kinds of badness due to increased eye fluid pressure. It's not a certainty but it's a risk and since I can't risk any eye malfunctioning as the other won't compensate...

I must say I'm quite relieved though as I'm used to surgery procedures in my close family so I could witness how they heal etc. I find the idea of vaginal birth and possible repercussions very scary, not the aesthetic aspect as much as the plumbing aspect so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I would definatley never ever choose an csection over a vaginal birth. Obv if there were medical complications then Id want a healthy happy baby, but if there was no reason for it I would 100% choose a vaginal birth.

Yes they are VERY sore and EXTREMELY hard work, but to be able to stand up straight away to shower, have the option to drive for 6 weeks, and the elimination of MAJOR surgery is not so appealing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

LadyE wrote: »
    I Obv if there were medical complications then Id want a healthy happy baby,
    Yes they are VERY sore and EXTREMELY hard work, but to be able to stand up straight away to shower, have the option to drive for 6 weeks, and the elimination of MAJOR surgery is not so appealing to me.

This is the reason my wife had one and this is also the result of it. Very sore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Nope not planning on having children any time soon but worked in a maternity hospital for a little while and I'd definitely go with the natural childbirth if possible. People underestimate c section surgery so much, definitely not a walk in the park with a newborn in tow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I know of someone who is currently in ICU in hospital post c-section. I've also struggled to block out many TMI moments re: natural birth thanks to the women I work with.

I wouldn't consider a c-section a choice, personally. It's something you have to do if you need it, but if you don't, hang the pain and side effects with vaginal birth, I'm never opting for anaesthetic and major abdominal surgery unless it's vitally necessary. My 2c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In many many years to come I like to think that I'll be going with a natural birth. I like the idea of it- women have been doing it for years and years, it's all very natural. I mean (don't kill me!) it's what we're made for!!!
    *interloper* I agree, but equally it's not that long ago that women had a shorter lifespan than men and died during or after complications from childbirth. It ws one fo the biggest causes of death for women. Because of our big heads compared to other animals human birth is a much more physically traumatic event.

It varies a lot too. I've known women who gave birth like it was a movie script. Over in literally minutes and up and about afterwards with little or no trauma. I've also known women who were severely physically screwed up by it. Including my own mother who spent nearly a week in bits before I came along. At one point religious icons and miraculous medals were stacking up on her bedside table. I was a difficult prick even then...:p.

I've known women too who's sex life was severely compromised after a natural birth, while others there was no change, indeed slightly improved in one case. Women and women's experience of birth seems to differ quite widely.

"natural" is another issue I have. Just because it's nature does not mean we can't imporve on it. Hospitals, anaesthetics, epidurals, antiseptics medical staff etc are all "unnatural", yet few enough would forego them. I would put c section along that line, albeit at the more extreme end. But if a woman feels that her body is her choice and choses a c section for her own reasons and this doesn't harm the infant, I don't see why not. If we give ownership of a woman's body regarding her reproductive rights in areas like contraception, abortion and sterilisation I cant see why c section is such an issue it can be with some. If a woman is on the pill, is she too posh to get pregnant? If she chooses to have a termination is she too posh to have a child? Maybe these are out there comparisons, but I'm not so sure. *end interloper*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know, never really thought about it. My Mother gave birth to my brother naturally and I was born through c section (because I was breech). I suppose I would give birth naturally. Don't really want to think about it though for many years!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement