Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you choose a c-section over a natural birth?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

God jesus, never mind c section or vaginal birth, this thread is putting me off childbirth full stop. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I think some reproductive issues are hereditary as well, so maybe it's worth thinking about depending on what kind of pregnancy/birth your mother had . . . even though your personal birth process will depend on many factors, it'd be good to know if you and your siblings were early/late, if a history of high-risk pregnancies runs in your family, etc. etc. etc. Yet another factor in the decision-making.

I never really thought about an elective cesarean being a choice for me . . . is it? Hmmmm. I just figure I'll be scared to death of vaginal birth for my entire pregnancy, and somehow come through on the other side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Stretched hoo haa my eye.

The vagina's muscle walls are not made of some short of shoddy elastic which once stretch due to giving birth go out of shape so out of shape for ever.

You won't have a cavernous cúnt if you do your pelvic for exercises in fact you can end up a lot tighter then before and with a lot more grip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree partly, but it so depends on the woman and her individual physiology though. Some fine and some not so fine. regardless of pelvic floor muscles or exercise of same.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

My wife had a section delivery for the birth of our child. In the end, she was practically 2 weeks overdue and he was 10lbs. The fact of the matter is that she was terrified of a natural delivery and was more terrified of being induced, not being able to deliver (master onion showed no inclination to be anywhere other than in utero - idle slacker!) and for a section to happen anyway but under stress.

We spoke to our consultant at large and in the end he decided that a c-section was the best option. I should explain that prior to his decision, he interrogated us thoroughly (in seperate rooms) and at the end explained that he had to justify all c-sections to the hospital board as it went against the preferred practice.

I should emphasise at this point that when i say my wife was terrified of a natural delivery, I mean terrified to the extent that she was admitted a number of times running up to the due date for blood pressure issues.

The upshot was that she had an elective section justified on the grounds of Tocophobia. We were both delighted as the birth went perfectly and both mother and baby were and are perfect.

What I didn't like is that, whilst I was sitting on the ward with my wife two days after the delivery, another (and senior) consultant appeared on the ward doing rounds with other doctors, they stopped ay my wifes bed and began laughing at the mention of 'tocophobia' - one female doctor stated "I must remember that one ... "

Needless to say, I let them have it with both barrels, explained the situation and asked the senior (male) consultant why it was that he felt he was qualified to adjudicate on the issue of attitude to childbirth. They apologised to us both and left sheepishly.

I suppose my main point is akin to my position on breastfeeding - I trust my wife to make the decision that she feels is in the best interest of her and our child, I don't see the reason for others to steam in with pre-determined views on decisions that they have no personal knowledge or information on.

Our son is now one year old, healthy and happy and has not had as much as a sniffle since he decided (finally) to grace and bless us with his presence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Stretched hoo haa my eye.

The vagina's muscle walls are not made of some short of shoddy elastic which once stretch due to giving birth go out of shape so out of shape for ever.

You won't have a cavernous cúnt if you do your pelvic for exercises in fact you can end up a lot tighter then before and with a lot more grip.

I'm only going on my friends and sisters for this one. My sister had a huge baby and tore very badly, needed loads of stitches and has said sex was never really the same for her since.

A couple of my friends, while not having atrocious sex lives or anything of the sort, have said they aren't as tight as they were and in my experience, having been with men who were with women with kids, a good few have said it to me.

As I said in my post, my stomach is wrecked from pregnancy and childbirth, my boobs are wrecked from breastfeeding. The one thing I know that hasn't been affected is my vagina and I think i'd like to keep it that way rather than risk it. My daughter was 8lbs. Not massive BUT she was 3 weeks early so could easily have been a 10 pounder. I don't want to push a massive head through the one part of my body that I still feel is "young" and unaffected by having a child.
    It may sound silly but it gets me over my hangups about my saggy tummy. And like I also said, it wouldn't be my main reason for selecting a section if I was offered one, just another plus for me, in my own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ash23 wrote: »
    I'm only going on my friends and sisters for this one. My sister had a huge baby and tore very badly, needed loads of stitches and has said sex was never really the same for her since.

A couple of my friends, while not having atrocious sex lives or anything of the sort, have said they aren't as tight as they were and in my experience, having been with men who were with women with kids, a good few have said it to me.

There are exercises they can do for this though and they do work, though I can see why women would be dubious about going, in all I don't see why they wouldn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I should not have read this - am 16 weeks and did not want to know too much about the birth bit yet...will do whatever is best for baby though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are exercises they can do for this though and they do work
    Oh they help. Defo, but again people differ. No matter how much exercise I did, it's highly unlikely I'd ever get close to lifting weights like G'em(the words asses roar spring readily). I'd be a lot stronger than I am now, but not the same. I may find I'm more prone to muscle injury than others. Some people across the board recover better from trauma, both physical and emotional.

Of the women I've known who've had kids, the variability is pretty huge. Some go from very slim to putting on babyweight to varying degrees that never shifts. Others are back to where they were in months. Some their extra skin never recovers, yet I know one mum with the makings of a six pack and she never looked at a gym in her life. Another who is a major gym bunny, 5 six times a week who is/was very fit(pilates, proper weights and running) and kept active through her pregnancy and now baggy tee shirts are the order of the day.

I've only been with two mums and both looked bloody great naked and both had no complaints in the "tightness" dept, but I would suspect the variability there is also large. Mates of mine who have been with mums have sometimes commented on it. Though I do reckon with some it's a psychological worry more than a real one.

TL;DR? women are very variable and require variable interventions. C section is just one of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭miss_feminem

SheRa wrote: »
    God jesus, never mind c section or vaginal birth, this thread is putting me off childbirth full stop. *shudder*

I know, I think I've turned myself of childbirth in general for a while now :P

I prob would still opt for vaginal though (obv things may change as time goes on). Even though I'd be terrified of it, I'd be more terrified of being cut open. I suppose it really depends on the person.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh they help. Defo, but again people differ. No matter how much exercise I did, it's highly unlikely I'd ever get close to lifting weights like G'em(the words asses roar spring readily). I'd be a lot stronger than I am now, but not the same. I may find I'm more prone to muscle injury than others. Some people across the board recover better from trauma, both physical and emotional.

Of the women I've known who've had kids, the variability is pretty huge. Some go from very slim to putting on babyweight to varying degrees that never shifts. Others are back to where they were in months. Some their extra skin never recovers, yet I know one mum with the makings of a six pack and she never looked at a gym in her life. Another who is a major gym bunny, 5 six times a week who is/was very fit(pilates, proper weights and running) and kept active through her pregnancy and now baggy tee shirts are the order of the day.

I've only been with two mums and both looked bloody great naked and both had no complaints in the "tightness" dept, but I would suspect the variability there is also large. Mates of mine who have been with mums have sometimes commented on it. Though I do reckon with some it's a psychological worry more than a real one.

TL;DR? women are very variable and require variable interventions. C section is just one of them.

Yup, that's quite true. What suits one woman, won't suit another. Vaginal birth may be fine on one and not on another and section may be fine for one woman and not for another.

But then that's a tough thing to call until you actually go through either experience. I can't assume that a section would be best for me or that vaginal would be best for me. So my view on it is to go with the least invasive option. I have never had any major surgery (or any surgery at all for that matter) so I can't say how my body would respond to healing, etc.

As I said before, both options scare the bejesus out of me (and prob most women) but I think the section would be the more risky option.

But like I said, it's NOT my main reason. It's just an aside.

It's like people deciding not to have children for whatever reason. They aren't deciding not to have kids because of the lack sleepless nights or the fact that they can have 2 holidays a year if they remain childless. There are usually bigger reasons behind it but these are other points that are positives.

For me, one plus of having a section (and it had its downsides too) were the fact that I have never had that added worry about my vagina, on top of the huge changes my body went through. I have come to accept the saggy boobs, stomach riddled with stretchmarks and excess skin and I don't mind them as much. But I think I would be pretty devestated if another pregnancy and birth resulted in even more damage to my undamaged bits.

Thats just me, I'm not saying it always happens, I'm not saying it would happen. But I am saying I don't want to risk it and on top of my main reasons it is a factor.
    However if I were refused a section I'd go ahead with a vaginal birth rather than never having more children. This is more if I were offered the choice and I'm not sure I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

There has to be a medical reason but if you are going private and a reason can be found you can be scheduled for one.

The c section is very invasive surgry and you are stapled back to gether after it, there are higher chances of complication and infection as well and a lot longer recovery rates.

The storys of having a loose for ever after having a vaginal birth are wrong,
    like the rest of your body it will go back into shape after wards if you do the exerises needed, really ladies daily pelvic floor excerises are good for many many reasons.

As for stories of tearing or having to be cut and needed sitches, that happens but again doing excerises before hand reduces that happening and any scaring caused by that is a lot less visible and a lot smaller then a c section scar.

If a c section is needed for actual medical reasons, phyical or mental fair enough but a lot of women who have not informed them selves properly about c sections seem to think it is the easy option and it's not.

I have to agree with most of this. I have a very close relation who is a midwife for 20 years who says you don't have a choice. The decision is a medical one. However, she did say that IF a consultant did agree to do a c section that this would very likely be only for private patients. She has never seen anyone have an elective c section in her 20 years experience. She also said c sections take a lot longer to recover from (well it is an operation!) and you can't drive for about six weeks after one.

I also have a close relation who had her first naturally and second was a c section. She said the c section was SO much worse.

Tbh the lack of wareness of the importance and benefit of kegel exercises in this country is part of the reason for all the stories about loose vagina's.

IF women don't know about the exercises and the benefit of them tightening the pelvic floor for general health and the added sexual benefit for every woman then they are not going to be as avid of doing the vaginal toning exercises after giving birth.

With in 12 hours of giving birth I was doing the kegel clenches.

Tbh the lack of wareness of the importance and benefit of kengel excerises in this country is part of the reason for all the stories about loose vagina's.

IF women don't know about the excerises and the benefit of them tightening the pelivic floor for general health and the added sexual bebefit for every woman then they are not going to be as avid of doing the vaginal toning excerises aftergiving birth.

With in 12 hours of giving birth I was doing the kengel clenches.

True, I do them now. You can do them at your desk in work :D I have never been told how often or how long to do them for. Does it just differ for each woman?

Tbh the lack of wareness of the importance and benefit of kengel excerises in this country is part of the reason for all the stories about loose vagina's.

IF women don't know about the excerises and the benefit of them tightening the pelivic floor for general health and the added sexual bebefit for every woman then they are not going to be as avid of doing the vaginal toning excerises aftergiving birth.

With in 12 hours of giving birth I was doing the kengel clenches.

It's Kegel exercises. And I actually know all about them and was doing them before and after my section. I still do them now. I also have a Kegel "device" so I wouldn't assume that anyone worried about lack of pelvic and Kegel exercises doesn't know how important they are.
    In fairness, it's drilled into you at antenatal classes about how important it is but the fact is, if you have a bad vaginal delivery, lots if internal tearing and stitching, scar tissue etc, then your vagina isn't going to "ping" back into shape. It's not just about looseness. it's about appearance and sensation and lubrication and painful sex.
    No it's not overly common but I think it is a factor that has to be taken into consideration. Much as the risks associated with a c section are being discussed, can we not also discuss the risks with a vaginal birth?

But like I said, it's NOT my main reason. It's just an aside.

It's like people deciding not to have children for whatever reason. They aren't deciding not to have kids because of the lack sleepless nights or the fact that they can have 2 holidays a year if they remain childless. There are usually bigger reasons behind it but these are other points that are positives.

For me, one plus of having a section (and it had its downsides too) were the fact that I have never had that added worry about my vagina, on top of the huge changes my body went through. I have come to accept the saggy boobs, stomach riddled with stretchmarks and excess skin and I don't mind them as much. But I think I would be pretty devestated if another pregnancy and birth resulted in even more damage to my undamaged bits.

Thats just me, I'm not saying it always happens, I'm not saying it would happen. But I am saying I don't want to risk it and on top of my main reasons it is a factor.
    However if I were refused a section I'd go ahead with a vaginal birth rather than never having more children. This is more if I were offered the choice and I'm not sure I would be.

I can see your point, I would also be worried about the looseness, etc. But to be honest, I would choose that over being cut open. But then my body hasn't had to deal with childbirth yet so I can't really comment on how I'd feel with a different body shape, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kegel-exercises/WO00119
    Kegel exercises: How to strengthen pelvic floor muscles
    If you do them the right way, Kegel exercises can help you prevent or control urinary incontinence and prepare for childbirth.
    Find out how to perform Kegel exercises correctly.
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Kegel (KAY-gul or KEY-gul) exercises strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which support the uterus, bladder and bowel. If you do Kegel exercises regularly and keep your pelvic floor muscles toned, you may reduce your risk of incontinence and similar problems as you get older. Kegel exercises can also help you control urinary incontinence.

Learning how to perform Kegel exercises properly can be tricky. How do you know whether you're working the correct muscles? Here's a guide to perfecting Kegel exercises.

Kegel exercises: Who can benefit

Many conditions put stress on your pelvic floor muscles:

* Pregnancy
    * Childbirth
    * Being overweight
    * Aging
    * A chronic cough
    * A genetic predisposition to weak connective tissue

When your pelvic floor muscles weaken, your pelvic organs descend and bulge into your vagina, a condition known as pelvic organ prolapse. The effects of pelvic organ prolapse range from uncomfortable pelvic pressure to leakage of urine or feces. Fortunately, Kegel exercises can strengthen pelvic muscles and delay or maybe even prevent pelvic organ prolapse.

Kegel exercises are recommended especially during pregnancy. Well-toned pelvic floor muscles may make you more comfortable as your due date approaches. You may be less likely to develop urine leakage — common near the end of pregnancy and prone to persist after you've given birth.

Finally, Kegel exercises — along with counseling and sex therapy — may be helpful to women who have persistent problems reaching orgasm.

How to do Kegel exercises
    It takes diligence to identify your pelvic floor muscles and learn how to contract and relax them. Here are some pointers:

Find the right muscles
    To make sure you know how to contract your pelvic floor muscles, try to stop the flow of urine while you're going to the bathroom. If you succeed, you've got the basic move. Or try another technique: Insert a finger inside your vagina and try to squeeze the surrounding muscles. You should be able to feel your vagina tighten and your pelvic floor move upward. Then relax your muscles and feel your pelvic floor move down to the starting position. As your muscles become stronger — and you become more experienced with the exercises — this movement will be more pronounced.

But don't make a habit of starting and stopping your urine stream. Doing Kegel exercises with a full bladder or while emptying your bladder can actually weaken the muscles. It can also lead to incomplete emptying of the bladder, which increases your risk of a urinary tract infection.

If you're having trouble finding the right muscles, don't be embarrassed to ask for help. Your doctor or other health care provider can give you important feedback so that you learn to isolate and exercise the correct muscles.

Perfect your technique
    Once you've identified your pelvic floor muscles, empty your bladder and sit or lie down. Then:

* Contract your pelvic floor muscles.
    * Hold the contraction for three seconds then relax for three seconds.
    * Repeat 10 times.
    * Once you've perfected three-second muscle contractions, try it for four seconds at a time, alternating muscle contractions with a four-second rest period.
    * Work up to keeping the muscles contracted for 10 seconds at a time, relaxing for 10 seconds between contractions.

To get the maximum benefit, focus on tightening only your pelvic floor muscles or isolating your pelvic floor muscles. Be careful not to flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Also, try not to hold your breath. Just relax, breathe freely and focus on tightening the muscles around your vagina and rectum.

Repeat three times a day
    Perform a set of 10 Kegel exercises three times a day. The exercises will get easier the more often you do them. You might make a practice of fitting in a set every time you do a routine task, such as checking e-mail or commuting to work.

Vary your technique with one of these methods:

* Try sets of mini-Kegels. Count quickly to 10 or 20, contracting and relaxing your pelvic floor muscles each time you say a number.
    * Visualize an elevator. Slow down the exercises, gradually contracting and releasing your pelvic floor muscles one at a time. As you contract, visualize an elevator traveling up four floors. At each floor, contract your muscles a little more until you reach maximum contraction at the fourth floor. Hold the contraction and then slowly release the tension as you visualize the elevator returning to the ground floor. Repeat 10 times.

Much as the risks associated with a c section are being discussed, can we not also discuss the risks with a vaginal birth?

Yup, that was the point of the thread really. To see why people would choose one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Tbh the lack of wareness of the importance and benefit of kegel exercises in this country is part of the reason for all the stories about loose vagina's.

You can do kegels and still end up loose or looser.
    With in 12 hours of giving birth I was doing the kegel clenches.

Good for you, but maybe not for the whole world - YMMV.

• Advertisement

I can see your point, I would also be worried about the looseness, etc. But to be honest, I would choose that over being cut open. But then my body hasn't had to deal with childbirth yet so I can't really comment on how I'd feel with a different body shape, etc.

Well I guess I have been cut open lol. And it all went well and was calm and lovely in the end after many days of trauma (not labour, just general sh!tty treatment in the hospital).
    I guess my previous birth shaped me. While up on the labour ward etc I was ignored, dismissed, not being told anything about what was going on. As soon as I went to theatre I was told everything that was happening and was really very well looked after and informed. I think I had a much more positive experience by having a section than I would have if I'd had a vaginal delivery.

So, as I know what to expect etc I would feel far more comfortable having another section than I would going into a vaginal delivery with no idea what to expect. Better the devil you know etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

well i had to have a c-section after goin 3-weeks overdue(i know 3 weeks, it was Christmas time and all doc's were gone in other areas.....was ragin by the way, longest Christmas ever). She was my first child had the easiest pregnancy EVER no sickness my mum even said you would never have known you were pregnant, none of the sore boobs after and all that jazz....lol i said she is just jealous.

anyway.....yes 3 weeks overdue. was taken into hospital to 'get started' so the next morning was given the gel, and was gettin contractions all day but nothin came of it, get the gel twice the next day and twice the next day again all the time i was walkin all over the wards admiring all the babies,haha nurses were amazed...so then i was taken on 22rd dec to get my waters broken(worst experience of my life, I had the spot picked on the Doctors head to split him, i swear to god), and still nothin happened. was sent home on the 23rd and told to come back in on the 27th,went back in and was sent home on the 30th Dec and told to come back again on the 3rd January. Was told that evenin not to eat anything that nite because i would be goin for a c-section in the morning. Next morning, a trainee doctor came around to take my bloods and such, and i said can't wait till baby gets here 2day, and she said, no, you're not having a section 2day now, she gave a reason but i cant even remember what it was as i was that mad......had a 1/4 SLICE OF TOAST, and nurse came round and said you ready to go, i was like where am i goin now, she said for your section and i said i ate 1/4 slice of toast does that matter, and she said oooooh noooooo you cant go now, so had to wait another bloody day. had a beautiful 8lb14oz girl on 5th Jan 2005, she had breathin difficulties when she was born as cord was wrapped around her neck twice, was born blue and was in ICU for the 5day's i was recoverin from my section,was given my Daughter that afternoon for an hour and i swear i felt like a criminal askin the nurses if I could go and see my child. times they said no, she is asleep. It was one of the worst times of my life girls i kid you not i cried myself to sleep at night when all the other mothers were gettin up at nite to feed their newborns i was not allowed to see mine.

So in all I would NEVER opt for a C-Section, but if needs be then obviously and only if child is in difficulty then I guess I would have a section, but it is in no means the easy way out....it's absolutly horrific.

P.S. Didn't actually didn't mean to write an essay there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

^ laura- they should have done it earlier at week 2. the longer you leave it the longer there are chances for cord and other complications.

I had a section myself, techinically 'elective'. But how elective is it after 22 hours and the babys head was stuck and risks of cerebral palsy. Doesnt seem that "elective" to me.

Anyhow, the other thing to consider with sections is that the normal hormonal releases dont happen that happen during a vaginal birth. Im convinced my body didnt know that baby wasnt there anymore so the milk never came down. There was no trigger.

laura. wrote: »
    well i had to have a c-section after goin 3-weeks overdue(i know 3 weeks, it was Christmas time and all doc's were gone in other areas.....was ragin by the way, longest Christmas ever). She was my first child had the easiest pregnancy EVER no sickness my mum even said you would never have known you were pregnant, none of the sore boobs after and all that jazz....lol i said she is just jealous.

anyway.....yes 3 weeks overdue. was taken into hospital to 'get started' so the next morning was given the gel, and was gettin contractions all day but nothin came of it, get the gel twice the next day and twice the next day again all the time i was walkin all over the wards admiring all the babies,haha nurses were amazed...so then i was taken on 22rd dec to get my waters broken(worst experience of my life, I had the spot picked on the Doctors head to split him, i swear to god), and still nothin happened. was sent home on the 23rd and told to come back in on the 27th,went back in and was sent home on the 30th Dec and told to come back again on the 3rd January. Was told that evenin not to eat anything that nite because i would be goin for a c-section in the morning. Next morning, a trainee doctor came around to take my bloods and such, and i said can't wait till baby gets here 2day, and she said, no, you're not having a section 2day now, she gave a reason but i cant even remember what it was as i was that mad......had a 1/4 SLICE OF TOAST, and nurse came round and said you ready to go, i was like where am i goin now, she said for your section and i said i ate 1/4 slice of toast does that matter, and she said oooooh noooooo you cant go now, so had to wait another bloody day. had a beautiful 8lb14oz girl on 5th Jan 2005, she had breathin difficulties when she was born as cord was wrapped around her neck twice, was born blue and was in ICU for the 5day's i was recoverin from my section,was given my Daughter that afternoon for an hour and i swear i felt like a criminal askin the nurses if I could go and see my child. times they said no, she is asleep. It was one of the worst times of my life girls i kid you not i cried myself to sleep at night when all the other mothers were gettin up at nite to feed their newborns i was not allowed to see mine.

So in all I would NEVER opt for a C-Section, but if needs be then obviously and only if child is in difficulty then I guess I would have a section, but it is in no means the easy way out....it's absolutly horrific.

P.S. Didn't actually didn't mean to write an essay there.....

Wow, that sounds horrible all right. They were similar with my mum. I'd like to know what's going on in those situations. I'm sorry to hear you had to run around like that - back and forward to the hospital, not knowing what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Am I the only one to admit that I had an elective c-section on my 1st (and only) child?

I went private and discussed with my consultant at around 6 months. My waters broke three weeks early and was brought in and had my section about 5 hours later -I didnt have so much as a labour twinge! :D

I admit to being a bit tender for a couple of days afterwards but not in any way agony, pain relief was very forthcoming and I was up and around well within the 5 days. Within a week I was driving with no problems (Its a myth that you cant drive for 6 weeks-all you need is a drs note).

If I had to do it again I wouldnt change a thing.

I dont believe that Im any less of a mother because I didnt want to go through labour nor is my son any different. The nurses dont give out awards for 'best vaginal birth'. If noone has come to harm what business is it to anyone else?

I'm not sure about everyone else here, but I'm certainly not saying that either way is right or wrong. I personally don't care which option people go for. I just wanted to know why - was it because of the "ickyness" that my friend suggested (I asked because she suggested a list of reasons for not having a vaginal birth but she didn't seem to research a c-section and just assumed it was the easier option) or was it for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Ha ha :pac: I love the idea of
    ickyness
    No miss-feminism, that had nothing to do with it. Nor am I too posh to push, I simply believe that it was the safest option for both me and my baby.

I know that loads of anti c section people love quoting research on the risks of the section but they always omit to mention that all research as completed on optional sections (small %) in healthy pregnancies and labours and pregnancies that had complications (high %). I was more concerned about doctors being more concerned about keeping their c section rates low and so do not carry out sections in cases where they should.

I had no labour, no failed interventions, I was relaxed (kind of) and so coming out from my procedure I wasn't in a lot of pain.

I don't see why it is an issue, I chose my contraception, why should I not have a choice in how I give birth?

For the record- there is a high degree of "ickyness", when the nurse had to shave me, lots of 'lets see whats going on down here' moments, and my favourite- looking at my legs being raised in opposite directions after my epidural! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

axel rose wrote: »
    Nor am I too posh to push, I simply believe that it was the safest option for both me and my baby.

I hate that women who have c-sections are sometimes blasted with that "too posh to push" phrase.
    To me, it seems completely demeaning - not to mind unfair and untrue.
    axel rose wrote: »
    I don't see why it is an issue, I chose my contraception, why should I not have a choice in how I give birth?

You're totally right. Women are free to make their own choice on birthing methods and they shouldn't have to deal with abuse or criticism from other people, based on their choice.

No matter what way you give birth, it's hardly an easy ride - there can be complications with all of them, it can be a traumatic experience and you're forever changed after it.

Each to their own, I say. But don't judge others for their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I hate that women who have c-sections are sometimes blasted with that "too posh to push" phrase.
    To me, it seems completely demeaning - not to mind unfair and untrue.

You're totally right. Women are free to make their own choice on birthing methods and they shouldn't have to deal with abuse or criticism from other people, based on their choice.

No matter what way you give birth, it's hardly an easy ride - there can be complications with all of them, it can be a traumatic experience and you're forever changed after it.

Each to their own, I say. But don't judge others for their choice.

I would have to agree. The number of times I've heard "what's best for the baby is what matters". Which is absolutely fair enough. But generally I've heard it said in the context of "it shouldn't matter what the mother wants, it only matters what's best for the baby".

The way I see it, what's best for me is best for the baby. If I'm in distress, the baby is probably going to be distressed too. And if I'm forced to give birth in a way that makes me very fearful, then I'm going to be distressed.

I've got nothing against either method, but I do think it should be at least partly up to the mother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I wish my baby had come out fighting. I think its different to getting plucked out by surgeons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement