Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you choose a c-section over a natural birth?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My first was assisted delivery with forcepts I was trying not to laugh as it was like the story book the gaint turnnup with the dr holding the forcepts, foot braced against the delivery chair and the midwife with her arms wrapped around his middle and together they heaved and he was finally born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

What about trying to address your fears before actually giving birth rather than just decide you are too scared and that's it? There's entire 9 months to get used to the idea of childbirth, find info and discuss your fears with professionals.
    Surely, it would be better than just going on anecdotal evidence from a couple of friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Emma- is that question directed at me?

axel rose wrote: »
    Emma- is that question directed at me?

No, not at you specifically. Just throwing it out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

ebmma wrote: »
    What about trying to address your fears before actually giving birth rather than just decide you are too scared and that's it

Sure, there's that option! At the same time, freedom of choice exists and if a woman, for any reason, has decided she wants a particular type of birth, her decision should be respected.

• Advertisement

I dont know what you are getting at when you say
    address your fears before actually giving birth rather than just decide you are too scared and that's it?

Whats so bad about the idea that someone for whatever reason does not want a v birth? Why should anyone HAVE to address their fears? By discussing fears with a doctor, do you mean to be then convinced that they need a v birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

What about trying to address your fears before actually giving birth rather than just decide you are too scared and that's it? There's entire 9 months to get used to the idea of childbirth, find info and discuss your fears with professionals.
    Surely, it would be better than just going on anecdotal evidence from a couple of friends?

Discussing fears is great, but it doesn't matter how much talking it through you do, the risks exist regardless. Some fears may be reassured, but not all.

I'm sure you didn't mean to insult women by suggesting that they know nothing about childbirth and its implications and instead are just listening to "anecdotes" and making final decisions based on them. I hope that wasn't what you meant, anyway.

Good point western night. Where is the suggestion on this thread that we do this?

Discussing fears is great, but it doesn't matter how much talking it through you do, the risks exist regardless. Some fears may be reassured, but not all.

I'm sure you didn't mean to insult women by suggesting that they know nothing about childbirth and its implications and instead are just listening to "anecdotes" and making final decisions based on them. I hope that wasn't what you meant, anyway.

Of course that's not what I meant. I'm pregnant at the moment and terrified of everything :(.

I just think it is a good idea to try and separate rational fears from irrational fears. And find out what risks are and how large they are. And you probably need health professionals for that. I mean the risk of something can be one in 10000 or one in 10. But our brain can mess it all up... I'm not really explaining myself..

Congratulations emma.

My advice to you is ask every question that enters your head and whatever you do - do NOT google your question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Am I the only one to admit that I had an elective c-section on my 1st (and only) child?

My wife did not have an elective on her first she had a natural. It was the complications of the natural birth that lead her to have a section on the second.

From a health persective my wife is 2-1/2 weeks down the road and very sore. A section is no easier than a natural birth. The way i figure is Natural is pain before section is pain after!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Taking this comment in isolation, not specifically with regard to birth, be it c-section or vaginal, but just in general... honestly I'm having trouble getting my head around it.

If people are going to be so defeatist about things then why bother about anything? To push it to extremes, why bother dealing with any issues - fears, depression, anxiety - just throw a pill at it, or avoid the problem completely.

That attitude strikes me as very unhealthy, and I hope you didn't mean it the way it came across WesternNight (though it's not really any of my business to reprimand you for your personal opinions. Hmmm!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Taking this comment in isolation, not specifically with regard to birth, be it c-section or vaginal, but just in general... honestly I'm having trouble getting my head around it.

If people are going to be so defeatist about things then why bother about anything? To push it to extremes, why bother dealing with any issues - fears, depression, anxiety - just throw a pill at it, or avoid the problem completely.

That attitude strikes me as very unhealthy, and I hope you didn't mean it the way it came across WesternNight (though it's not really any of my business to reprimand you for your personal opinions. Hmmm!).

Was just trying to explain why it's not unreasonable for women to have fear as a reason for not wanting to have children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

For me I don't think any amount of talking to professionals could alleviate the fear I have about a naturl birth.
    My fear is't based on anecdotal evidence. It's based on personal experience.

With my first pregnancy the thoughts of a section didn't even enter my mind. She was coming out the natural way. Why wouldn't she? I was just gone 20, healthy and she was head down, engaged etc. All was well until the last few weeks.

I was in and out of hospital for weeks before she was born. My doctor felt something wasn't right and kept sending in only for them to keep sending me home.
    Eventually they came to the conclusion that something was wrong and admitted me. They made me wait 2 days to induce me (my BP was 240/120 at this stage - danger zone is 180/90).

The midwife who tried inducing me was lovely but nothing had happened by the time her shift was over so a section was decided on. Then I went into labour. I hadn't slept in 2 days at this stage and was exhausted and stressed beyond belief.
    I went to the labour ward where the nurse strapped me to a monitor. After a while the babys heart stopped. They came running in gave me oxegen, lay me flat on the bed and told me the baby had hiccups. FFS! I watched her heart rate drop to 0!

They then went to inject me with pethidine which I refused as I wanted a natural birth. When I refused the midwife muttered "for gods sake" under her breath, walked out and slammed the door behind her. An hour later I had to get my mum to go and ask her for gas and air. She came in a pretty much threw it at me. Never showed me how to use it or checked if I was ok.

She came in an hour after that (my contractions were pretty strong) and said they were here to gve me my epidural. I told her again that I wanted a natural birth.
    She spoke to me like I was stupid and said "you can't have a section without an epidural". I replied that I didn't know I was still having a section.
    The doctor came in and said it was my choice, did I want to labour or did I want to go for a section.

To be 100% honest, If I'd had a nicer, better midwifw i would prob have gone ahead with the labour. But I wasn't being treated with respect or dignity and my wishes weren't being respected. Now, maybe that'd be different if I went again as I wouldn't be a 20 year old girl with her mum. I'd be older etc. PLus I wouldn't take that sh!t now.

But the only positive part of my 2 weeks stay in hospital was the surgeons and the section.
    A few nice midwives, but being honest, they were few and far between in my experience.

So I chose my section and I would choose another to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I just think it is a good idea to try and separate rational fears from irrational fears. And find out what risks are and how large they are. And you probably need health professionals for that. I mean the risk of something can be one in 10000 or one in 10. But our brain can mess it all up... I'm not really explaining myself..

I agree with this completely. Although I do recognise the importance of respecting everyone's personal choices, I wouldn't use this as a blanket rule.

When people choose an elective c-section, choose not to breastfeed, choose not to vaccinate their kids and all these other things, can we not have a discussion about the reasons behind this? Do we really have to respect all choices as equal without looking at the possibility that choices are made based on irrational fears?

And it's not just stuff to do with parenting either. In the thread about boob jobs, it was OK to voice an opinion but ONLY if that opinion was 'Well done to the women out there for just doing what they want to do'. It was not allowed to say 'Well hang on, why are so many women opting for plastic surgery these days?' (I know that thread was a bit different because it was started about an individual, rather than a general discussion).

I don't believe in criticising individuals for their choices, but I also don't think we should stop having the general discussion just because individuals take the discussion as a personal criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭miss_feminem

Ha ha :pac: I love the idea of .
    No miss-feminism, that had nothing to do with it. Nor am I too posh to push, I simply believe that it was the safest option for both me and my baby.

I know that loads of anti c section people love quoting research on the risks of the section but they always omit to mention that all research as completed on optional sections (small %) in healthy pregnancies and labours and pregnancies that had complications (high %). I was more concerned about doctors being more concerned about keeping their c section rates low and so do not carry out sections in cases where they should.

I had no labour, no failed interventions, I was relaxed (kind of) and so coming out from my procedure I wasn't in a lot of pain.

I don't see why it is an issue, I chose my contraception, why should I not have a choice in how I give birth?

For the record- there is a high degree of "ickyness", when the nurse had to shave me, lots of 'lets see whats going on down here' moments, and my favourite- looking at my legs being raised in opposite directions after my epidural! :eek:

I hope I haven't offended you in any way - I don't think you're too posh to push if you oft for a section. As I've said before, I personally don't care which option people go for, I was just curious as to why. And if people don't want to say why, then that's fine.

This thread wasn't meant to be a discussion on why a woman should have the right to choose a section. Or what the risks or both vaginal birth and a section. That wasn't my question. And I hope nobody here is looking down on anyone for whatever option the choose.

My friend's exact words were "it's the easier option" to go for a section. And I just think that's very naive as she didn't even research it. Her two main concerns were: the "vagina tearing" and the "loss of control over your waste system". She couldn't mention any of the risks for a section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thaedydal wrote: »
    My first was assisted delivery with forcepts I was trying not to laugh as it was like the story book the gaint turnnup with the dr holding the forcepts, foot braced against the delivery chair and the midwife with her arms wrapped around his middle and together they heaved and he was finally born.

Ours was forceps too. I was aghast. It all seemed so physical.

They tried the ventouse(?) on him before that but it just popped off and flew out. :D

Kooli wrote: »
    When people choose an elective c-section, choose not to breastfeed, choose not to vaccinate their kids and all these other things, can we not have a discussion about the reasons behind this?

Exactly, the thread wasn't meant to be a discussion on women's rights regarding child birth. It was to see why women chose the option they chose. And not to make negative comments to a woman for her choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

My friend's exact words were "it's the easier option" to go for a section. And I just think that's very naive as she didn't even research it.

Having a kidney stone blasted is "easier" than pushing it out naturally too. How is it wrong to opt for this procedure?

herya wrote: »
    Having a kidney stone blasted is "easier" than pushing it out naturally too. How is it wrong to opt for this procedure?

Have you read any of my posts? At what point did I say it was wrong?

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    For me I don't think any amount of talking to professionals could alleviate the fear I have about a naturl birth.
    My fear is't based on anecdotal evidence. It's based on personal experience.

I am pretty sure you could get rid of your fear with help :) That's what counselling is for. However, you need to want to do that. And if there's no reason why you are uncomfortable about being afraid of natural birth, if you are happy with having another section at some stage later - there's no real need to get rid of that fear. It doesn't exactly control your life.
    nothing wrong with that :D

I was just trying to say that it is in principle possible to get over fears if they are in the way.

But a few of us have stated our reasons for having sections and not a whole lot has been said about it.
    So I don't think this thread is actually about finding out why people choose sections. Myself and a couple of others have given detailed responses as to why we chose to have sections or why we will choose and very little has been said.
    I think the only responses were that baggy vaginas are a myth and we should seek professional help to overcome our fears rather than listening to stories :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure you could get rid of your fear with help :) That's what counselling is for. However, you need to want to do that. And if there's no reason why you are uncomfortable about being afraid of natural birth, if you are happy with having another section at some stage later - there's no real need to get rid of that fear. It doesn't exactly control your life.
    nothing wrong with that :D

I was just trying to say that it is in principle possible to get over fears if they are in the way.

The thing is though, I'm not very very afraid of a natural birth. I'd do it rather than never have another baby. But if I walked into a consultant and he said "you can have a section if you want one" I'd say "go for it".

If he said "you can't have one" then I'd still get pregnant and have a baby.
    It's a preferred choice. Thats all.

I think the only responses were that baggy vaginas are a myth and we should seek professional help to overcome our fears rather than listening to stories :rolleyes:

That's not really what I said :)

But a few of us have stated our reasons for having sections and not a whole lot has been said about it.
    So I don't think this thread is actually about finding out why people choose sections. Myself and a couple of others have given detailed responses as to why we chose to have sections or why we will choose and very little has been said.

Yup, and I appreciate you and the others staying on topic :D

I just don't get why people keep saying: I chose this option, what's wrong with that. Nothing is wrong with that - good for you. I wasn't trying to start an argument - I was just curious as to people's opinions on why they would (or have already chosen) one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

I'd want the C-section because I hate any sort of pain and I think it'd safer for both mother and child to have the baby out as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

hayser wrote: »
    I'd want the C-section because I hate any sort of pain and I think it'd safer for both mother and child to have the baby out as quickly as possible.

But I think most evidence points to the fact that vaginal birth is safer for both mother and baby unless there are risk factors or medical complications present that indicate otherwise. So would that change your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Kooli wrote: »
    But I think most evidence points to the fact that vaginal birth is safer for both mother and baby unless there are risk factors or medical complications present that indicate otherwise. So would that change your mind?

Could you please point me towards some statistics comparing the risk of a vaginal birth with elective C-section in various aspects - as I understand that c-sections caused by underlying conditions or birth emergency will have a higher risk by definition?

herya wrote: »
    Could you please point me towards some statistics comparing the risk of a vaginal birth with elective C-section in various aspects - as I understand that c-sections caused by underlying conditions or birth emergency will have a higher risk by definition?
    This is an excellent point and confuses A LOT of people. All things being even, (ie healthy pregnancy, healthy baby and mother) then a c section has no more complications than a regular operation.

Vaginal births can go wrong very quicklyand with little warning. Unfortunately unlike a c section delivery a doctor is rarely close by or available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

I had to had a C-section as he was breech. I swear to God I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Couldn't get out of bed for days, so no shower, I was gross! :D And could barely lift himself for a good while after. Not nice at all. Next time I really want a natural one. Course that won't be til himself is old enough to babysit :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement