Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you choose a c-section over a natural birth?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mutleyhound

Have 3 smallies - 1st 2 times really believe the anxiety & fear put into me put me in the position where I needed assistance medical, forceps & epidural, last time gave hypnobirthing a go to be honest was embarassed to use the name sounds hippy trippy maybe it was cos it was 3rd you'd say but I don't agree - give it ago - don't have some1 with you that needs 'minding' think of yourself and remain calm .... it sonds weird but the end was freaky to me cos it came from nowhere and further info drop a mail I aint sellin' but it worked for me .... and if it comes to section and it's unavaidable c'est la vie for gods sake don't beat yourself up keep well also9 was able to walk out afterwards ............. felt great although it was a bit like bambi on ice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Isnt it mad how the same operation has had such different results in different women.

I found it a walk in the park- but now Im in bits because my finger nail is falling off!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I'm absolutely terrified of the thought of a caesarian. I'm petrified of surgery as it is, but after hearing a friend's graphic recount of a caesarian I think I've developed a real phobia of them.
    I know no-one looks forward to the idea of a caesarian, but If I was giving birth and some-one told me I'd need a caesarian or I'd die, I still wouldn't have one, that's how bad it is.
    The thought of being awake, while some-one is cutting me open (and I heard from my friend EXACTLY what this feels like) is my worst nightmare.

Thankfully, they apparantly have a drug that they put into your drip to calm down hysterical women at that stage. I'll be swigging that mother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

axel rose wrote: »
    Vaginal births can go wrong very quicklyand with little warning. Unfortunately unlike a c section delivery a doctor is rarely close by or available.

Which is why you are closely monitored and when I needed intervention on my first the dr was there in less then two mins to use the forceps.

Lucky you, I wish that was always the case.......

• Advertisement

If you don't feel you were given the quality of care you needed while giving birth then please make sure you lodge a complaint with the hospital so that they can review thier policies and proceedures if you were let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Apparently C Sections limit the amount of children you can have. Once you have a Section you can not have a natural birth and there is a limit to how many C Sections you can have as they are reopening the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

mood wrote: »
    Once you have a Section you can not have a natural birth

That's not true, some mothers can have natural birth and some shouldn't, depending on the outcome of the procedure (and obviously the reason - if it's due to a condition it'll be the same situation). There must be some time between a cs and a natural birth though, you shouldn't try for another pregnancy immediately after if you want a natural birth.
    mood wrote: »
    and there is a limit to how many C Sections you can have as they are reopening the same place.

Again it depends, it's recommended to consider this when planning for a very large family but you're not limited to one or two children only.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you don't feel you were given the quality of care you needed while giving birth then please make sure you lodge a complaint with the hospital so that they can review thier policies and proceedures if you were let down.

I had no problem with my sons birth- I had the c section I requested. My point was that a c section in a healthy pregnancy carries no more risk than any operation. The advantages of a c section is that the doctors and consultants are already in the room and carrying out the proceedure, wheras in a v birth- the doctor is not always immediately available.

(I dont want to scare mums to be so Ill leave it at that- I just wanted to explain my reasons as to why I chose my c section.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

I've had two babies :)

The first was completely natural, went perfect enough ( as in pains were not as bad as expected or was told it would be. From listening to people whiles I was pregnant I was half expecting to be split in two) I was grand after, up and about. "Everything" went back to normal within a respectable amount of time etc etc etc. No problems what so ever.

Second baby was a c-section. She had no notion what so ever of making an appearance and was induced. Didn't work. She went into distress. Nothing could have prepared me for it. A complete nightmare from start to finish. I would have gone through the first birth all over again instead of the taking out of the staples part in itself. Took forever to get over.

Having said that, it's completely different for everyone. One of my sisters would go for section over natural any day of the week. We hear stories from people who have had experiences of both but I guess no one really knows unless they face it on themselves. Fear of the unknown is alot of it and hearing stories from friends, mothers, sisters etc etc influence people alot.

Anyway, that's my 1.5 cents worth :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Wizard007 wrote: »

Having said that, it's completely different for everyone. One of my sisters would go for section over natural any day of the week. We hear stories from people who have had experiences of both but I guess no one really knows unless they face it on themselves.

That's the crux of it really, isn't it. Lots of women feel very differently and some have had varying levels of results with both sections and natural births. I think this whole thread just reinforces that it's a matter of what's best for the individual. I don't think that anyone should take it for granted that because a c-section/vaginal birth was great for them, it will/should be so for everyone else too.

Interesting to read everyone's experiences though.

I had no problem with my sons birth- I had the c section I requested. My point was that a c section in a healthy pregnancy carries no more risk than any operation. The advantages of a c section is that the doctors and consultants are already in the room and carrying out the proceedure, wheras in a v birth- the doctor is not always immediately available.

(I dont want to scare mums to be so Ill leave it at that- I just wanted to explain my reasons as to why I chose my c section.)

That is because drs are not always needed and midwifes would not be doing the job they do if they were not qualified and capable of doing it.

I didn't need a to see a dr on my second despite the fact I was induced due to being 2 weeks over with back complications.

Its nice we both had the birth experiences we wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

if everyone is "happy" and "healthy" then regular birth is better for both child and mother, but every situation can change from person to person from minute to minute so normally these decisions are not made until they have to be

Redpunto wrote: »
    if everyone is "happy" and "healthy" then regular birth is better for both child and mother, but every situation can change from person to person from minute to minute so normally these decisions are not made until they have to be
    I disagree. I was both happy and healthy and had a c section. It was best for me. The decision was made months before my son was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

I disagree. I was both happy and healthy and had a c section. It was best for me. The decision was made months before my son was born.

Good for you girl :)

It just goes to show - what doesn't work for one suits another perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Of course c-sections work and things "work out" but for both mother and baby a natural birth is the ideal.

Why woudl you chose to have a major operation unless it was needed.

Redpunto, you are confusing what is best for you with what is best for everyone else. I would always opt for a c section over a natural birth every time. However I would never assume that it was best for everyone else that was havong a baby.

A healthy optional c section carries no more risks than a healthy v birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

herya wrote: »
    Could you please point me towards some statistics comparing the risk of a vaginal birth with elective C-section in various aspects - as I understand that c-sections caused by underlying conditions or birth emergency will have a higher risk by definition?

Elective caesarean more likely to cause lung/breathing difficulties in the children
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7137945.stm

Maternal mortality 3 times higher in elective caesarean. Hysterectomy due to haemmorage 10 times more likely. Also risk of premature section possible. (this article still says the mother should choose though)
    http://www.annals.edu.sg/pdfSep03/V32N5p577.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Kooli wrote: »
    Elective caesarean more likely to cause lung/breathing difficulties in the children...

Maternal mortality 3 times higher in elective caesarean. Hysterectomy due to haemmorage 10 times more likely. Also risk of premature section possible. (this article still says the mother should choose though)

There are risks and possible complications with either choice, I think it's important to note that.

• Advertisement

Kooli,
    If you read ANY ONE of my posts you would realise that I was not comparing all elective sections with v births. I was comparing HEALTHY COMPLICATED FREE PREGNANCIES, AND HEALTHY MOTHERS AND BABIES. (sorry for shouting folks but I have brought this up a number of times already :()

Mucus on the lung is easily treated (if at all), and is not a health issue IN HEALTHY BABIES (:()

This thread is veering towards c section Vs v birth.

There are risks and possible complications with either choice, I think it's important to note that.
    Kooli,
    If you read ANY ONE of my posts you would realise that I was not comparing all elective sections with v births. I was comparing HEALTHY COMPLICATED FREE PREGNANCIES, AND HEALTHY MOTHERS AND BABIES. (sorry for shouting folks but I have brought this up a number of times already :()

Mucus on the lung is easily treated (if at all), and is not a health issue IN HEALTHY BABIES (:()

This thread is veering towards c section Vs v birth.

Yeah of course there are risks with both, but my understanding is that in a healthy pregnancy there are few doctors that would recommend a c section, although of course they may agree to one if it is what the mother wants.

And axel rose I know that your own personal experience was a very positive one, and that's great. But I don't think that should stop us discussing the risks. I'm sorry if it comes across as a personal insult to you to discuss the risks. I was responding to a request for links to back up my claim.

I was also under the impression that 'elective c section' DOES refer to healthy pregnancies, healthy mothers and babies. Otherwise it is a c section that is medically recommended, no? And the article wasn't only referring to mucus on the lungs.

Anyway, I don't have a baby and when I have one I obviously have no idea what I'll end up doing. I think what would sway me at the moment more than the 'medical risks' is the risk of not being able to move around, walk, pick up my baby etc. in the immediate aftermath of the birth. I KNOW that does not happen after every section, but it is common enough to make me not want to risk it.

Koolie, I was reading back on my post I think had a ratty moment :( sorry.

Anyway I know there are risks, but as pikachucheeks mentioned, any method of childbirth carries risks. Any research into optional c sections is flawed as many consultants (including mine) fake reasons for insurance purposes.

Im also confused in the paper as it mentions anaesthesia-Its rare for optional c sections to be done this way, spinal block or epidural is more routine.

There are two different type of c sections, emergancy- where during labour, complications arise and a section needs to be done immediately often carried out under anaesthesia.

Elective c section, where the operation is planned in advance of labour, usually this is because there is a medical reason, this is not (for sake of arguement) the 'whim' of the mother. Women who have had to have elective c sections for medical reasons usually like to distinguish themselves apart from us 'lazy posh lumps'.

For the record- I was well able to pick up babs following my section, on saying that as you read women react very differently from this operation.

I dont know what happened the typeface in my last post. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Im afraid that is incorrect.
    All things being equal, c-section does carry more risks than vaginal birth. Otherwise, it would be standard practice, which it isnt.

The risks as they were explained by my consultant is to the mother, and at that they are no more than any operation. Please dont disregard cost as a common reason refusing c sections on request when going public.

Anyway this is a thread on WHY women choose a c section so on that note Im going to do my damnest to resist the pull of 'c section- risky, dangerous and irresponsible' arguements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The risks as they were explained by my consultant is to the mother, and at that they are no more than any operation. Please dont disregard cost as a common reason refusing c sections on request when going public.

Anyway this is a thread on WHY women choose a c section so on that note Im going to do my damnest to resist the pull of 'c section- risky, dangerous and irresponsible' arguements.

I wouldnt say that it is a necessarily irresponsible choice but it is well settled that c-section carries increased risk as against vaginal birth. Both have their individual risks and benefits but, on balnace, vaginal birth is the safest choice for mother and baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Slainte_sf

There is a useful online resource for information about cesareans and vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC). It answers many questions about the safety of surgery and ability to have normal birth after one or more past cesareans. Also advice on what to do if your doctor/hospital is not in support of VBAC.

Check it out
    http://www.ican-online.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Kooli wrote: »
    I was also under the impression that 'elective c section' DOES refer to healthy pregnancies, healthy mothers and babies. Otherwise it is a c section that is medically recommended, no?

Nope. I had an "elective" section but it was medically recommended. It is deemed elective as I was not under general anaesthetic. But while in the end I guess it was a choice (planned section but I went into labour and was offered the option of proceeding with the labour for a few hours but if I hadn't given birth in an hour or two, the section would have to go ahead and I chose to just proceed with the section).

So those elective sections would include breeche babies, failing placentas, twins and multiples, low lying placentas, pre eclampsia cases, labours that haven't progressed, babies who are distressed and a whole host of other conditions.

Emergency sections mean general anasthetics.

So "elective" doesn't mean "chosen".

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    Nope. I had an "elective" section but it was medically recommended. It is deemed elective as I was not under general anaesthetic. But while in the end I guess it was a choice (planned section but I went into labour and was offered the option of proceeding with the labour for a few hours but if I hadn't given birth in an hour or two, the section would have to go ahead and I chose to just proceed with the section).

So those elective sections would include breeche babies, failing placentas, twins and multiples, low lying placentas, pre eclampsia cases, labours that haven't progressed, babies who are distressed and a whole host of other conditions.

Emergency sections mean general anasthetics.

So "elective" doesn't mean "chosen".

Thanks for clarifying, I thought elective meant chosen and not medically recommended.

Is there a different word for that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement