Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hogster

hi im looking to join the reserves so thought id put up a post
    i applied last october to the guards but have not heard anything and that no one is being taken on for some time so thought i would join the reserves

i applied for the reserves on publicjobs.ie and stupidly was waiting for email with an application form and have realised the form is on public jobs.

so i am currently filling out the form and looking for small bit of help:

-where can i get an original copy of my leaving cert results as i don't think i have it?

- what address should the application and copies be sent to as i don't see one on the form?

-i was an apprentice electrician and have worked in prisons an needed garda clearence should i put that down on the form?

-finally i was just made redundant and currently looking for job will that hinder me at all?

help to the above questions would be greatful as i want to get it in the post asap.

many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

hogster wrote: »
    hi im looking to join the reserves so thought id put up a post
    i applied last october to the guards but have not heard anything and that no one is being taken on for some time so thought i would join the reserves

i applied for the reserves on publicjobs.ie and stupidly was waiting for email with an application form and have realised the form is on public jobs.

so i am currently filling out the form and looking for small bit of help:

-where can i get an original copy of my leaving cert results as i don't think i have it?

- what address should the application and copies be sent to as i don't see one on the form?

-i was an apprentice electrician and have worked in prisons an needed garda clearence should i put that down on the form?

-finally i was just made redundant and currently looking for job will that hinder me at all?

help to the above questions would be greatful as i want to get it in the post asap.

many thanks

Hi,
    To answer your questions:
    Where do you get the leaving cert: Your school:

Where do you send the form: You email it back to public jobs.ie (email address should be on the form:

Will you make reference to the garda clearence you have: Doesn't matter, they will do it again anyway, you might mention it as it could speed things up a bit!

Will you been unemployed hinder your application: No.

Hope that helps....
    There is also a tread on here that details out everything that you are likely to go through in applying for the G/R.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Hi,
    To answer your questions:
    Where do you get the leaving cert: Your school:

Where do you send the form: You email it back to public jobs.ie (email address should be on the form:

Will you make reference to the garda clearence you have: Doesn't matter, they will do it again anyway, you might mention it as it could speed things up a bit!

Will you been unemployed hinder your application: No.

Hope that helps....
    There is also a tread on here that details out everything that you are likely to go through in applying for the G/R.:D

to get of your leaving cert you must go to http://www.examinations.ie/ click here for a direct link to the order page. :)

DK47 wrote: »
    to get of your leaving cert you must go to http://www.examinations.ie/ click here for a direct link to the order page. :)

Ya maybe for the younger applicants who done their leaving in the last 10 years and they would be up on a system somewher but i done my leaving cert 18 years ago, so i called to my school and they were able to write it out again for me. Thank God for filing cabinets.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Just a quick note.......

Still waiting on back ground checks/meds, six months later. Fingers crossed this side of Dec 09. :) We will all get there soon.......:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hi lads
    i sent my BR form ina around two months ago now still waiting patiently:)
    i was wondering if somebody could tell me the next stage?
    do i have to wait for my checks to be complete before i have the meeting in my station?
    also what would actually disqualify you at this stage regarding the BR form and my meetings?

Congrats to all those starting this month :)

hi lads
    i sent my BR form ina around two months ago now still waiting patiently:)
    i was wondering if somebody could tell me the next stage?
    do i have to wait for my checks to be complete before i have the meeting in my station?
    also what would actually disqualify you at this stage regarding the BR form and my meetings?

Congrats to all those starting this month :)

Yes youi will have to wait but sometimes you might get the meeting with the super first but will not be called for a medical until the BR checks are done. These B/R checks can take a very long time sometimes, depending on the family (aunts / uncles etc.) and where in the world they are living. About been disqualified, hard to say but unless you have a few black marks against you (bad ones now, not speeding etc) or any members of your family aren't known terrorist's you should be ok, b Hang in there.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

Fair Play to everybody who started good to hear some folks are on track :)
    i know people have been waiting a over a year in some cases for there BR checks iv only been waiting a few months but my god is it frustrating not known whats going on :(
    one question does anybody know if the reserves will give you a real boost when the full time recruitment opens back up or are you in the same boat as everybody else?

This is how long, Its taking me...Sooooo Far!!!

Applied: Feb 09.
    Interview/Exam: March 09.
    Sgt. Interview and handed in BR: March 09.
    Super Interview: Late March 09.
    Background checks: : Ending soon 09. HQ tells me....
    Meds: Still awaiting. (Just a little cough now) Ooooh Yeah...:(
    Starting: Nov 09??.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

This is how long, Its taking me...Sooooo Far!!!

Applied: Feb 09.
    Interview/Exam: March 09.
    Sgt. Interview and handed in BR: March 09.
    Super Interview: Late March 09.
    Background checks: : Ending soon 09. HQ tells me....
    Meds: Still awaiting. (Just a little cough now) Ooooh Yeah...:(
    Starting: Nov 09??.

Im pretty similar, had the interview/exam Feb though!
    Can you elaborate on what H.Q. told you re: checks?

• Advertisement

leddpipe wrote: »
    Im pretty similar, had the interview/exam Feb though!
    Can you elaborate on what H.Q. told you re: checks?

H.Q quote: The last of the background information required on my file, Is coming to an end?? I'd say I'm 85% done on checks! ??? Thats all I know......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey i don't mean to sound like a ****** but i would say to people waiting on Background checks not to hold there breath. Here's how it went for me so far:

Applied - Oct 07
    Interview/ Written - Exercise Nov 07
    Met Sergent/Super - Feb 08
    Sent off Gr2(Background form) - Feb 08
    Currently - Still waiting on Gr2 Clearance/Medical Test

Rang H.Q. last week and wat told there currently still waiting on Background information on my relations abroad & my Background checks are currently ongoing. All the relations i have abroad is 1 aunt and 1 uncle in england and 2 aunts in America. All the rest of my family is in Ireland. These things take time you just have to bare with it :D

I think we all know things take time, Every case is different...Lucky for me it's straight forward...I'm just going with the flow baby...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think we all know things take time, Every case is different...Lucky for me it's straight forward...I'm just going with the flow baby...:)

Mc,

I woudn't be too confident of being called. i am waiting for a medical also after initailly applying in January. It maybe next year before were called.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

Just finished filling oout the br firm wat a pain.let's hope it worth it all

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Hi all

Just looking for some advice regarding B.R form,It says you need to give the name of a member of A.G.S who would recommend my application.

I have abit of a problem on this one that I dont know many members of A.G.S.:o

It also states you need a written reference from your current employer but I was made redundant a couple of months ago.

any advice would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

You should go to your local station and ask a member of AGS would they be willing to recommend you.. even ask whoever you hand your form into would they do it.

You might need a reference from your old employer, is that possible? If not I'd ask pas/ags about that, I think there's a phone number for the reserves recruitment point of contact somewhere on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

rookie09 wrote: »
    Hi all

Just looking for some advice regarding B.R form,It says you need to give the name of a member of A.G.S who would recommend my application.

I have abit of a problem on this one that I dont know many members of A.G.S.:o
    any advice would be great

This is one question that comes up time and time again and each time the same reply is given for a reason. When you are handing in your form to your station, just ask the Garda present would they mind if they would stand as a reference. If they have some issue with that, and I don't think they should, you can always leave it empty and it won't go against you. Not everyone will know a member of A.G.S. and that's never been an issue for previous applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I agree with Kerry, leave it blank if they dont. It cannot be held against you that you dont know a member of AGS.

To be honest folks, if I was in the public office and someone I didnt know asked me would I be a reference then I would have to say no. Not because im against the reserve, not because im an awkward member but because at the end of the day it would be my name recommending someone I didnt know......whos to say they dont have ties to ciminal gangs etc. But thats just me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

I agree with Kerry, leave it blank if they dont. It cannot be held against you that you dont know a member of AGS.

To be honest folks, if I was in the public office and someone I didnt know asked me would I be a reference then I would have to say no. Not because im against the reserve, not because im an awkward member but because at the end of the day it would be my name recommending someone I didnt know......whos to say they dont have ties to ciminal gangs etc. But thats just me:)

Yeah Ill leave it blank,think N.G.A is right if I was a guard I would nt put my name as a reference for somebody I didnt know,to be honest I probaly would of felt abit awkward:o asking a random guard to be a reference.

but thanks everybody for your advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

in regard to being made redundant your employeer is obiliged to supply you with a ref when you leave the company the may not deny you a refrence...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I won't be able to get a reference off my current employer because the terms of my contract state that they are not in a position to give a reference when I leave the company.. not sure how to get around that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

just go to the employeer before your current one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Couldn't agree more buddy.

You are essentially applying for a job, so asking someone who doesn't know you to be a reference.. they should say no because they don't know what your like or whether your suited to the position.

Hey all just wondering how long does it take till you get the call from the super about the interview and how long do backrounds check take

Hey all just wondering how long does it take till you get the call from the super about the interview and how long do backrounds check take

Have you had your meeting with your local Sergeant yet? How long is it since you passed stage1?

Haven't met d Sargent yet.got an email last wednesday week saying my br form has being sent for backround checks. 7 october is the date I recieved my letter sayin I passed stage one

Meetin wit seargant 2moro any advice ppl? And is a shirt and tie ok to wear?

• Advertisement

Haven't met d Sargent yet.got an email last wednesday week saying my br form has being sent for backround checks. 7 october is the date I recieved my letter sayin I passed stage one
    Meetin wit seargant 2moro any advice ppl? And is a shirt and tie ok to wear?

Well look at that for timing. You were just asking yesterday about when you should expect a meeting with your local Sergeant and today you post you've the meeting tommorrow.

Smart/Casual is the way to go. A tie is not necessary even when the meeting comes up with your Superintendent.

Just stay relaxed and honest and be yourself is all I can say really. Good Luck :)

Advertisement