Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Hey kerry. I have one relative living in the UK. Should this slow things down alot? I submitted my br form in april

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ghost86 wrote: »
    Hey kerry. I have one relative living in the UK. Should this slow things down alot? I submitted my br form in april

Hi there, how are you holding up waiting ghost86?

Oh I remember this 1lady from HQ informing me one day of how the checks work abroad with the different areas and divisions and how different they would be to Ireland
    but...
    with 1 relative abroad, it shouldn't hold your checks up too much to be honest. It all does depend though on where and how busy that station(s) would be though, and no-one here could definitely answer that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Ye I was thinking the same, one relative shouldnt take too long.
    The waiting is enoying but almost everyone has to go through it I suppose:o

ghost86 wrote: »
    Ye I was thinking the same, one relative shouldnt take too long.
    The waiting is enoying but almost everyone has to go through it I suppose:o

Yeah & to be honest, I take re-assurance that the background checks take so long. It just means that all Garda Reserves have been thoroughly vetted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

msg11 wrote: »
    Excellent, should be fine then. Just hold yourself to getter, casual chat no pressure ! Best of luck.

BR Form 2010? Sweet devine, only handed in mine 2 months ago. I will be an old man before I hear back ! :pac:

Quick update, I have a meeting with the sergeant, only thing is I am a hell of a person to contact when I am busy! So he personally came to my house to contact me, I wasn't in, but I rang him the next day. Arranged a time for meeting but he had to cancel.

So I have been trying to contact him the last two days, but turns out he is also a hell of a man to contact too !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

He came to your house wowie. Just keep trying to contact him or bring your BR form to the station (If you havent already) and maybe hell meet you there and then.

Quick update, I have a meeting with the sergeant, only thing is I am a hell of a person to contact when I am busy! So he personally came to my house to contact me, I wasn't in, but I rang him the next day. Arranged a time for meeting but he had to cancel.

So I have been trying to contact him the last two days, but turns out he is also a hell of a man to contact too !

Well still no meeting or contact from him, I have tried the station numourus times. I have a mobile number he rang me off one time, would it be a wise idea to give him a text? I'm not really sure, although he could be busy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Well still no meeting or contact from him, I have tried the station numourus times. I have a mobile number he rang me off one time, would it be a wise idea to give him a text? I'm not really sure, although he could be busy !

mmm. dont advise a text message phone call yes maybe, but there is also the other side of the coin, how did you get my number, ring the station and make an appointment to see him, that would be the best thing to do.

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    mmm. dont advise a text message phone call yes maybe, but there is also the other side of the coin, how did you get my number, ring the station and make an appointment to see him, that would be the best thing to do.

To be honest, I don't think I will do either. It will be my fourth time to ring the station and I will feel like a plonker if I don't hear anything back. I suppose I will just wait it out.

I though for a second I had your number! Oh and he rang me off what I suppose is his phone and I just saved the number in case he called again and if I missed it I would know who called.

The making an appointment is not a bad idea..

Dont give up, as he could be watching to see if you do, make the appointment, at least you are taking the initiative to make it.

• Advertisement

Dont give up, as he could be watching to see if you do, make the appointment, at least you are taking the initiative to make it.

Fourth time lucky maybe ? I'll give the station a ring after ten or maybe tomorrow..

Fourth time lucky maybe ? I'll give the station a ring after ten or maybe tomorrow..

Dont ring, if you call in person it would be better, you might even catch the skipper in, who knows !!

Dont ring, if you call in person it would be better, you might even catch the skipper in, who knows !!

I wouldn't like to show up unannounced ! But then again, I did ring three times he called to my house and it would show I really want this.

Or could it show that I may be a little too pushy to get this ?

Show up unannounced at a Garda Station!!!, you are going in to make an appointment to speak to the skipper nothing more, that way your message wont get lost in the bin, or just left on the desk, if he/she is there they will either come out to you or they will let the appointment go forward.

Show up unannounced at a Garda Station!!!

:pac:
    You are going in to make an appointment to speak to the skipper nothing more, that way your message wont get lost in the bin, or just left on the desk, if he/she is there they will either come out to you or they will let the appointment go forward.

Very true, I will go down tomorrow after work and give them a message in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 robmol

hi lads

i handed my BR form into my local station about four weeks ago. just wondering how long is the average wait before getting called in for a meeting with the super/sergeant??? :)

How long is a piece of string, there is various amounts of time waiting, as its now the xmas period it prob wont be till the new year now, so just need to wait and it will come in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 robmol

How long is a piece of string, there is various amounts of time waiting, as its now the xmas period it prob wont be till the new year now, so just need to wait and it will come in due course.

"how long is a piece of string" very good zonealarm. cheers for the reply.:)
    i have been blessed with patience so my wait continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

How long is a piece of string

Same distance from the midddle to each end :D

A.G.S wrote: »

The length of an average piece of string is 14 feet.

• Advertisement

The length of an average piece of string is 14 feet.

& tell me: ^^^ where on the background checks form is this little gem of a question? It must be a recent question eh :rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Hey guys, couple of questions about the BR form it anyone can help!

5 Details of Brothers, Sisters, Half-Brothers, Half-Sisters etc.

For occupation, if you have a relative recently let go, would it be better to put down, for example, 'Accountant' or 'currently unemployed'?

10 (c) Have you ever resigned, been dismissed or discharged from any employment?

I've left a job which technically means "resigned" however it was on good terms with the employer. Somehow I think this question is more about being fired/forced to resign?

11 (a) Have you ever been the subject or involved in a Garda / Police investigation regardless of outcome?

What do they mean by 'involved'? I would have reported a couple of crimes (burglary, criminal damage) as well as giving a witness statement about a theft. Do these count as being 'involved'?

13 List spare-time activities in which you have a recent interest and indicate your involvement, giving names of any organisation or clubs of which you are currently a member:

I read earlier on this thread people saying included everything you have been/currently are involved in.....however the question wants you to indicate your involvement...are these checked up on?

15 (a) Give the name and Station of any member of An Garda Síochána known to you and who would be willing to recommend your application.

I have two options: a Garda or a Super....should I go for the higher rank or will it really make any odds?

Finally, do I attach the medical record from my doctor to the BR or does it get submitted at a later stage (ie. at the medical)?

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for the long list! I'll probably have to ring HQ but it'd be nice to narrow down the number of questions a little first!

Hey guys, couple of questions about the BR form it anyone can help!

5 Details of Brothers, Sisters, Half-Brothers, Half-Sisters etc.

For occupation, if you have a relative recently let go, would it be better to put down, for example, 'Accountant' or 'currently unemployed'?

currently unemployed as that would be more accurate if they were let-go.

10 (c) Have you ever resigned, been dismissed or discharged from any employment?

I've left a job which technically means "resigned" however it was on good terms with the employer. Somehow I think this question is more about being fired/forced to resign?

resigned would be accurate in this instance.

11 (a) Have you ever been the subject or involved in a Garda / Police investigation regardless of outcome?

What do they mean by 'involved'? I would have reported a couple of crimes (burglary, criminal damage) as well as giving a witness statement about a theft. Do these count as being 'involved'?

involved would be relating to you being the actual subject of the investigation. Being of assistance would not count technically being involved ;) Well done to you on this one for what you have assisted with.

13 List spare-time activities in which you have a recent interest and indicate your involvement, giving names of any organisation or clubs of which you are currently a member:

I read earlier on this thread people saying included everything you have been/currently are involved in.....however the question wants you to indicate your involvement...are these checked up on?

I would suspect so. Sur their really is no harm in including the details and since you would be openly honest with this form, what harm if they are verified.

15 (a) Give the name and Station of any member of An Garda Síochána known to you and who would be willing to recommend your application.

I have two options: a Garda or a Super....should I go for the higher rank or will it really make any odds?

Either / Or would be my answer here. You would know yourself who would know you the longest etc.

Finally, do I attach the medical record from my doctor to the BR or does it get submitted at a later stage (ie. at the medical)?

No medical record as yet. That will be sent on to you in time. Jeez when I done my BRform I found it enough besides adding additional forms on :) That will arrive to you in due course.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for the long list! I'll probably have to ring HQ but it'd be nice to narrow down the number of questions a little first!

My replies are in bold above. Anything else, just ask away :)

Hey guys, does anyone have the number for HQ I had it but lost it, just want to call regarding my application

Hey guys, does anyone have the number for HQ I had it but lost it, just want to call regarding my application

Hi there,

pm sent with the number.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hi there,

pm sent with the number.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Thanks kerry! :) hope 2012 is my year

Thanks kerry! :) hope 2012 is my year

You're welcome.

I hope this is your year too. Their are a few of you now knocking about in here with a while. I'd like to see you all start start a thread telling me you're heading to Templemore :)

You're welcome.

I hope this is your year too. Their are a few of you now knocking about in here with a while. I'd like to see you all start start a thread telling me you're heading to Templemore :)

Just off the phone with HQ the guy's there really are nice, he said himself that they have been busy with calls with people who have been waiting long, hes gonna send out a reminder to all those involved in the checks to see what the story is :)

Just off the phone with HQ the guy's there really are nice, he said himself that they have been busy with calls with people who have been waiting long, hes gonna send out a reminder to all those involved in the checks to see what the story is :)

ah good news! Cheers for sharing.

Every time I have phoned HQ also, they always assisted me above and beyond what I would have been expecting when I phoned :)

• Advertisement

ah good news! Cheers for sharing.

Every time I have phoned HQ also, they always assisted me above and beyond what I would have been expecting when I phoned :)

Thats true, Hope I get medical soon! Would love to get into the GR at 19 get as much experience possible :) was talking to my local cig he said 2012 will be a big year for the GR

Advertisement