Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Court says no women need apply to Golf Club. Mod warning post 119

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

T'is a good day to be a man!

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

WindSock wrote: »
    Maybe because the straight white middle class male in Ireland is the dominant class and culture and we have to live and abide by that in almost every other aspect of our daily lives.
    Thats total horseshit, do you have any proof to back up that total bullshit of a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Lux23 wrote: »
    That's my thought exactly. Boy though I would love to be the only female member of a gentleman's club, I would have my pick of them every saturday night.

until you pick the one that was mouthing off to all the lads about his syphillis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I, for one, am delighted to see the Supreme Court spending time and tax-payer's money legislating on the burning issues of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

5starpool wrote: »
    There are loads of women only things in this world too. Big deal.

The big deal is that golf clubs receive state funding. I couldn't care less about a bunch of past it old farts/men with no sex lives etc wanting to keep their club women only, they're welcome to it, but I don't want my taxes/lotto money spent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Zulu wrote: »
    Thats total horseshit, do you have any proof to back up that total bullshit of a lie?

How about you explain why you think it is horse****. Or was that bull****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I think Windsock is only debating the point of the thread. There are other ways of responding to a point when you don't agree with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you state something as fact, generally it's up to you to back it up, not for someone else to disprove your theory.*

*In response to windsock.

edit: Unless you're a Christian of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,183 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I've played many a time on golf courses, and it's bad enough being held up by wrinkly old men, who are slow, but the wrinkly old women are far bloody slower.

It's a geriatrics game, but sometimes it takes the piss!

How about you explain why you think it is horse****. Or was that bull****?
    So you've got no proof at all, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, a lot of women don't give a sht on a lot of things, but that doesn't mean we all are going to get complacent about it.
    However, I like to challenge certain attitudes instead and leave a reminder that some of us still feel marginalised on society a lot of the time, or more than we should in this day and age.

Yeah, but it's about picking your battles. This is about a private club where stuffy middle aged men talk shìte to each other. Who on earth would want to force themselves into that environment in the first place!
    Yeah but they're probably too busy fighting for gay rights rather than womens' :P

Heh - you big homophobe :D
    Not many workplaces are aptly suited to cater for the working mother (or father). It's not written into policy yet. Maternity leave is not a great solution, imo.

You know as well as I do a manager would rather hire a 30 something year old male over a female.

But how much of that is because men's paternity leave doesn't exist in Ireland? If parental leave was transferable (I think they have a similar scheme in some parts of Germany), then perhaps that trend would change. To be blunt, I can't understand how women can't expect a downside to being able to take the guts of a year off, when men can only take their annual leave.

The flip side of the coin is positive discrimination. My cousin works for the Met Police, and as a hetero white male, his promotion opportunities are severely hampered.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Who cares?
    Oh no I'm fobidden from joining an over priced pretentious club and playing a boring and pretentious sport at said club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

5starpool wrote: »
    There are loads of women only things in this world too. Big deal.

I was very annoyed when I heard about this but you're actually right now that I think about it. My pole dance classes are women-only, guys are not allowed to join. Damn, now I'm torn on this one. I guess it does happen to men all the time. :(

Any key? wrote: »
    Who cares?
    Oh no I'm fobidden from joining an over priced pretentious club and playing a boring and pretentious sport at said club.

Actually, women are allowed play there.

It must be because women feel self conscious dancing provocatively around a pole when there's a man present. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I was very annoyed when I heard about this but you're actually right now that I think about it. My pole dance classes are women-only, guys are not allowed to join. Damn, now I'm torn on this one. I guess it does happen to men all the time. :(

A man writhing around a pole....his bits would never forgive him :D

It must be because women feel self conscious dancing provocatively around a pole when there's a man present. :rolleyes:

Probably. Why the roll eyes? :)

Yes but peoples' taxes aren't paying for your pole dancing class, but they are paying towards golf clubs..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Personally I have no problem with women playing golf as long it is on Tuesday.:D

Cadiz wrote: »
    Yes but peoples' taxes aren't paying for your pole dancing class, but they are paying towards golf clubs..

Can you provide a link that says the government funds this particular golf course? And more specifically, a link that says the government pays for the golf clubs?

• Advertisement

Now if men danced provocatively round their golf clubs, I might clamour to join a club like that! As long as I could choose the men (but then that's getting back to discrimination again, isn't it) :D

Probably. Why the roll eyes? :)

I was being sarcastic, this was Windsock's reasoning behind women only gyms, I was just transferring it pole dancing classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes but that's they consider themselves a different ethnicity to the rest of America.

There are no legitimate Irish clubs here that disallow non-Irish joining.
    I can think of a few, the Irish state for one. You need to be Irish born or by blood to join that club. You allowed to play in the country but you can't become a member unless your Irish.

Cadiz wrote: »
    Thats twice you've mentioned this. Portmarnock is a private club. Do you have any evidence they get government funds? Any at all??

I was being sarcastic, this was Windsock's reasoning behind women only gyms, I was just transferring it pole dancing classes.

Tut you, getting sarcastic at me to prove a point to Windsock! Tut tut Magic Marker :P

Sawry:(

Thats twice you've mentioned this. Portmarnock is a private club. Do you have any evidence they get government funds? Any at all??

Even if they do get cash, women are allowed play there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Couple of the old dumb traditional sexist jokes deleted there. Anything mentioning "kitchens blah blah blah" and "women can't play sport" and the like. We can have a nice debate like adults or some immature sexist jokes like a bunch of idiots. The latter comes with bannings from here on in however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Any key? wrote: »
    Who cares?

Is the Irony of this post long on you???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Working out in a gym can be a bit personal, like toilets and showers. It's a physical thing.
    Don't see how golf is the same though.

Any gym I went to provided separate toilets and showers for each gender.

Anyhow, this logic doesn't float with me.

The guys in the club might want to talk about issues that they might not be comfortable to talk about in front of women.

If guys have to be place in uncomfortable situations (which is subjective), then why do girls get to keep this luxury.

Why can't a club (a private club, that is) decide who is appropriate members and who is not.

Advertisement