Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Court says no women need apply to Golf Club. Mod warning post 119

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

WindSock wrote: »
    Oh oh here's one report then:
    While its a lovely report, unfortunatly it doesn't prove your origional "horseshit" assertion that:
    the straight white middle class male in Ireland is the dominant class and culture and we have to live and abide by that in almost every other aspect of our daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ScumLord wrote: »
    In fairness men don't have to go through the physical ordeal of shitting out a child, so it's only fair women get a longer break.

Of course they should be given as much as time as they want to recover physically, however if a mother decides to back to work early, there is no mechanism in place to allow the father to take this leave instead. The father doesn't even get one day paid or unpaid.
    Warfi wrote: »
    You left out a few words

So what are you saying? That women should be the ones staying at home looking after the newborn? That no part of the maternity leave could be done by the dad?

Maybe that's true, but how can there be no consequences to someone's career if they can take off that amount of time in one year? That's 26 weeks with varying benefits (depending on the company), 16 weeks unpaid if wanted, plus the standard annual leave that has accrued in this time - and presumably a good few days sick leave in the run up.

I admit that I'm going off topic again but it seems to be cropping up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

eoin wrote: »

So what are you saying? That women should be the ones staying at home looking after the newborn? That no part of the maternity leave could be done by the dad?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying....men should go straight back into work after the baby is born and not be allowed out until the child is 18. His job at home is done.

OR, maybe I'm saying that's why women get more leave, because of the physical side of giving birth.

Take your pick

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying....men should go straight back into work after the baby is born and not be allowed out until the child is 18. His job at home is done.

OR, maybe I'm saying that's why women get more leave, because of the physical side of giving birth.

Take your pick

How about you dial down the sarcasm? You mentioned breast feeding while misquoting me, which to me seemed to concentrate more on looking after the child, rather than the physical recovery.

If you read my post again (or perhaps for the first time), you will see that I said there is absolutely no paternity leave for fathers.

So, if you want me to be Captain Obvious for a second - yes, of course women need time to recover from child birth. However, men do not have the right to take any time off other than their annual leave, and women can't transfer any of their leave to the father should they want to (only 6 weeks of the 26 must be taken at a specific time by the mother).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

You left out a few words

Not all women breastfeed (a thread here recently said only 55% of Irish mothers breastfeed their newborns, and the study also says this figure declines further after a few weeks). So it seems breastfeeding ability is not required on the CV.

Is maternity leave completely (26 weeks) dedicated to physical recuperation? Because I don't really see how a father cannot get any paid parental leave if the mother decides she wants to go back to work early, and let the father take over for a while.

How about you dial down the sarcasm? You mentioned breast feeding while misquoting me, which to me seemed to concentrate more on looking after the child, rather than the physical recovery.

If you read my post again (or perhaps for the first time), you will see that I said there is absolutely no paternity leave for fathers.

So, if you want me to be Captain Obvious for a second - yes, of course women need time to recover from child birth. However, men do not have the right to take any time off other than their annual leave, and women can't transfer any of their leave to the father should they want to (only 6 weeks of the 26 must be taken at a specific time by the mother).

Well let's see....how about you quit deciding that I meant men shouldn't get parental leave? Assuming that I'm against men in all and every fashion only highlights the paranoia of women's opinions that's in this forum.

I think that women get more parental leave than men because the physical side of birth and breastfeeding.

What are you doing about men getting less parental leave apart from moaning on a forum? Are you actively involved in a campaign to get more rights for new fathers? Are you just on the 'If this happened to women, there'd be uproar!' bandwagon?

Because that angle is REALLY getting tiresome. Procasinator take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You need balls to play golf, and a big dangly club.

actually you need a big stiff club or else its difficult to get in the hole

I think that women get more parental leave than men because the physical side of birth and breastfeeding.
    Really? So it has nothing to do with the outdated sexist tradition that women would stay at home any mind the babies? Interesting.
    Because that angle is REALLY getting tiresome. Procasinator take note.
    Not half as tiring as the sexist, feminist, misandrist drivel that gets spouted here! Warfi take note.

Zulu wrote: »
    Really? So it has nothing to do with the outdated sexist tradition that women would stay at home any mind the babies? Interesting.

Not half as tiring as the sexist, feminist, misandrist drivel that gets spouted here! Warfi take note.

Can you show me where I'm being sexist and misandrist please?

And why would a feminist post be regarded as drivel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Doesnt its bollix take half a year to recover from child birth.

Why arent women campaigning for non sexist segragation of sport?Because the equality crap alot of them spout would be shown up for what it is,crap.(although in fairness I've seen a few in club M that would go the distance with tyson)

They say statistics of women in high paid jobs is a sign of rampant sexism,I'd say businesses are there to make money and if a woman could make that business more money they would get the lion share of the jobs.

Having said that I think they should be allowed full membership of portmarnock golf club.Anything to piss those golf playing tossers off(no jeans in club house please..ah would you go eff off)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can you be more specific? How long does it take to recover from giving birth? Is it really 26 weeks? Plus a further 16 weeks unpaid? That's almost a year, is that how long it takes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Can you be more specific? How long does it take to recover from giving birth? Is it really 26 weeks? Plus a further 16 weeks unpaid? That's almost a year, is that how long it takes?

It take me that length of time to recover from my round of golf at portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

People in the teaching profession know how to milk the system when it comes to maternity leave, 26 weeks and the rest ,
    {whole school terms}

And why would a feminist post be regarded as drivel?
    Well there could be reasons to numerous to mention for a feminist post to be drivel - one major one could be if, say, it stated a falacy as a truth with no proof or evidence as back up.

Ask a woman who's given birth

Well there could be reasons to numerous to mention for a feminist post to be drivel - one major one could be if, say, it stated a falacy as a truth with no proof or evidence as back up.

That's fine...as long as it's not called drivel just because it's a feminist post. Very glad to clear that up.

You said that I'm sexist and a misandrist....can you back that up? Do you have any evidence?

Ask a woman who's given birth
    So you don't know? If that is the case how are you able to comment on it and use it as an excuse for the length of maternity leave?

So you don't know? If that is the case how are able to comment on it?

Common sense would dictate that if you've given birth you would need more time off than someone who hasn't given birth

Common sense would dictate that if you've given birth you would need more time off than someone who hasn't given birth
    I'm not disputing that, I'm just asking for clarification on how much time is needed?

• Advertisement

I'm not disputing that, I'm just asking for clarification on how much time is needed?

What are you asking me for? All my posts have said is that women need more time off than men after a baby comes along. I have never questioned the amount of time given.

You said that I'm sexist and a misandrist
    No, sorry. No I didn't. I said that "sexist, feminist, misandrist drivel that gets spouted here" was tiring.
    ....can you back that up? Do you have any evidence?
    Here you go. Naturally I can't provide evidence to prove something I never said - I'm sure you can understand that.

This was aimed at me, it has my username in it.

You still haven't provided evidence. All you have done is quote me saying that women need more time off than men after birth because of the physical side of giving birth. You've then included your quote with your spin on what you wanted it to mean

What are you asking me for? All my posts have said is that women need more time off than men after a baby comes along. I have never questioned the amount of time given.
    This thread has turned into an equal rights debate, your rationale is that women get more maternity leave because they give birth, and breastfeed, and they need to recover. I'm asking you how much time is needed to do this?

This thread has turned into an equal rights debate, your rationale is that women get more maternity leave because they give birth, and breastfeed, and they need to recover. I'm asking you how much time is needed to do this?

Ask a woman who's given birth, as I've said before. The amount of maternity leave a woman gets doesn't affect me in any way at the moment so I don't care how much they get.

What you're asking me to do is research something that would take years to research. There are people who get paid to do that. You can ask them too.

Ask a woman who's given birth, as I've said before. The amount of maternity leave a woman gets doesn't affect me in any way at the moment so I don't care how much they get.

What you're asking me to do is research something that would take years to research. There are people who get paid to do that. You can ask them too.
    :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'll stop asking you, and you can stop ignoring the question.

:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'll stop asking you, and you can stop ignoring the question.

And you can stop ignoring the fact that the length of maternity leave has nothing to do with me :rolleyes:

Well let's see....how about you quit deciding that I meant men shouldn't get parental leave? Assuming that I'm against men in all and every fashion only highlights the paranoia of women's opinions that's in this forum.

I'm assuming no such thing, but perhaps you could be a bit less confrontational and sarcastic in your posts, so I can see what it is you're saying.

My points stemmed from a report linked here saying that women earned less on average. I said it must be a factor that 1) anyone taking the guts of a year off work has to accept that there will and should be consequences to one's career and that 2) only women can take maternity leave, save for exceptional circumstances, so it's not as if a family can make a choice of who goes back to work first.

Strangely, adoptive leave is 24 weeks, with the option of 16 weeks unpaid leave after. So no birth, and I'd say considerably lower % of breastfeeding. Men can only get this if they are the sole carer of the child.

By the way, there is a mandatory 6 week block in standard maternity leave starting from 2 weeks before the birth of the child, which might at the least give an idea of what the government deems to be the bare minimum recovery time.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that if women should indeed get more leave following the birth of a child (and I do believe that), then it's inevitable that there will be an impact on average salaries - especially when there is no way that a father can even have the choice of taking the leave instead.
    What are you doing about men getting less parental leave apart from moaning on a forum? Are you actively involved in a campaign to get more rights for new fathers? Are you just on the 'If this happened to women, there'd be uproar!' bandwagon?

Ah come on - you're just being silly now. I'm partaking in a discussion here, which is the point of this website.

In case you were genuinely asking and not just asking another sarky rhetorical question - no, I don't actively campaign, but I do have an opinion on it, and won't apologise for discussing it here. My wife would be absolutely thrilled to take as much time off work as possible, so having the choice of using her leave would be a non-runner for me.

Unfortunately, I'd say the most likely political party to do anything about it would be the Green party, and they're never, ever going to get a vote from me.

I'm assuming no such thing, but perhaps you could be a bit less confrontational and sarcastic in your posts, so I can see what it is your saying.

My points stemmed from a report linked here saying that women earned less on average. I said it must be a factor that 1) anyone taking the guts of a year off work has to accept that there will and should be consequences to one's career and that 2) only women can take maternity leave, save for exceptional circumstances, so it's not as if a family can make a choice of who goes back to work first.

Strangely, adoptive leave is 24 weeks, with the option of 16 weeks unpaid leave after. So no birth, and I'd say considerably lower % of breastfeeding. Men can only get this if they are the sole carer of the child.

By the way, there is a mandatory 6 week block in standard maternity leave starting from 2 weeks before the birth of the child, which might at the least give an idea of what the government deems to be the bare minimum recovery time.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that if women should indeed get more leave following the birth of a child (and I do believe that), then it's inevitable that there will be an impact on average salaries - especially when there is no way that a father can even have the choice of taking the leave instead.

Ah come on - you're just being silly now. I'm partaking in a discussion here, which is the point of this website.

In case you were genuinely asking and not just asking another sarky rhetorical question - no, I don't actively campaign, but I do have an opinion on it, and won't apologise for discussing it here. My wife would be absolutely thrilled to take as much time off work as possible, so having the choice of using her leave would be a non-runner for me.

Unfortunately, I'd say the most likely political party to do anything about it would be the Green party, and they're never, ever going to get a vote from me.

You're right, my tone was confrontational with regard to what you said, my apologies. My point was women get more time off due to giving birth (done in true after hours style ;)), but you were questioning where I was coming from in a way that implied I didn't think men were allowed any time off after birth.

I do think that men get a raw deal sometimes. I definitely think that men need more leave when a baby is born, it's for the benefit of the whole family unit and the law in this country leaves much to be desired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Clap. Clap. Clap.
    I did, but all that means is that your point is incorrect; all that means is that Portmarnock Golf club* does NOT get tax money. So your point is rubbish, or bullshit as I suggested.

They don't have trees on the green.

No, your comprehension of my point is incorrect. The value of that 3/4 million plus tax money spend on an international event at a club like that go way beyond 2003.

Some golf greens do indeed have wooded areas. But with your difficulty in seeing the wood for the trees, you mightn't have noticed. :D

Your rudeness and expletives just make you look ignorant and do nothing to further your argument, by the way.

Advertisement