Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Court says no women need apply to Golf Club. Mod warning post 119

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Women bending over to retrieve their balls, we'd never get a game played if we had to be constantly checking them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

As a representative of women in general, I'd just like to point out that the following:

ads mocking/belittling men
    high car insurance
    women only clubs
    demanding to have membership in Portmarnock club

all exist and are done just to tick men off. No other reason. From birth, all girls are taught how to make men feel as small as possible and are rigorously trained. Did you really think those TV ads were designed to sell as much product as possible? Pfft. Women demanded these ads be made to redress the balance. I personally remember signing the petition when I was three.
    And high car insurance isn't down to the person running the company trying to make as much money as possible. No, it's down to those pesky women getting all teary eyed when they're given their quote.
    Women only clubs....well that's easy. Women hate men and can't stand the sight of them. It has nothing to do with the fact that women's general appearance is constantly targetted in the media with the message 'If you don't look perfect for men, they'll never be interested in you'.
    And demanding membership in Portmarnock club? Once again, they're just doing it to be annoying. Got nothing to do with the fact that the idea is a relic of a time when women were told that they just weren't allowed and that's it.

So just to reiterate, these things are all done just to annoy men. There're no other reasons for it.

Seems to be working a treat too, going by this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Warfi wrote: »
    And demanding membership in Portmarnock club? Once again, they're just doing it to be annoying. Got nothing to do with the fact that the idea is a relic of a time when women were told that they just weren't allowed and that's it.

You know that this action wasn't brought by any women looking to pay 12K for membership, and that not one complaint has ever been made by a woman being refused membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

WindSock wrote: »
    Or birds who have had negative and unwanted attention.
    I don't believe you, do you've a link to back up that incredible assertion?

eoin wrote: »
    You know that this action wasn't brought by any women looking to pay 12K for membership, and that not one complaint has ever been made by a woman being refused membership?
    so what's with all the 'Women can feck off with their car insurance/women only clubs/anti men ads/general 'women are a pain in the a*se' rant' for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Very few women play golf, and fewer again can afford that kind of money. The ones who probably can afford it may not like to be the sort to speak up.

Warfi wrote: »
    so what's with all the 'Women can feck off with their car insurance/women only clubs/anti men ads/general 'women are a pain in the a*se' rant' for?

As I said earlier, I consider the women-only car insurance things as nothing but a marketing concept and I couldn't care less about them. I have little doubt that the same company will sell me car insurance with different branding.

In fact, maybe you could point out where I was "ranting" about any of those things?

What I don't understand is why it's OK for women to have women-only clubs or societies when it's not OK for men to do so.

Zulu wrote: »
    I don't believe you, do you've a link to back up that incredible assertion?

Well here's one

Pg.6, 1 in 5 women, as opposed to 1 in 10 men.

I'm sure there are plenty of more reports /stats of you looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

dermot01G wrote: »
    Ironically, there is not a great deal going on in Portmarnock Golf Club on a Saturday night...one of the disadvantages of no lady members.
    They could set up a 'social membership' for women if quiet Saturdays is a problem
    robby^5 wrote: »
    Women bending over to retrieve their balls, we'd never get a game played if we had to be constantly checking them out.
    Not the type of women that play golf believe me!
    Presumably they don't have to pay the 12,000 joining fee, so maybe they're not all that pissed off about it.
    Their husbands pay the membership fee so that was never an issue for them!

Women golfers are the ultimate bitchy wagons to everyone. More men only golf clubs ftw!

What I don't understand is why it's OK for women to have women-only clubs or societies when it's not OK for men to do so.

Or why it's ok for black people to have MOBO's but white people can't have MOWO's? (or similar in Ireland)

Or people of different ethnicities have their own societies exclusive to their culture, but whites don't?

Or why Gay pride can have a day but straight people don't?

Or why gay people have their own clubs but straight people can't have straights only?

Maybe because the straight white middle class male in Ireland is the dominant class and culture and we have to live and abide by that in almost every other aspect of our daily lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

When the management in Portmarnock heard the bogeys were coming after them they summoned all the legal professions who were members to the bar where they all decided that even though the cause was pointless and facile they would fight the government all the way...just for sport.

This is a victory for common sense and a kick up the asre for redtape and pointless laws. Portmarnock I salute you.

Very few women play golf, and fewer again can afford that kind of money. The ones who probably can afford it may not like to be the sort to speak up.

From the Irish Ladies Golf Union website:
    "Golf is the highest participation female sport in Ireland, with almost 60,000 female golfers in the country aged from 8 to 88, playing on a regular basis."

Is it so alien a concept that maybe they just don't give a ****e? And in case you missed my question earlier - what will be gained by forcing private clubs (men only ones, of course) to accept members that they don't want to?
    WindSock wrote:
    Maybe because the straight white middle class male in Ireland is the dominant class and culture and we have to live and abide by that in almost every other aspect of our daily lives.

I would argue that the pendulum has swung the other way, especially in the work place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Or why Gay pride can have a day but straight people don't?

We have Paddy's day now come on?

As I said earlier, I consider the women-only car insurance things as nothing but a marketing concept and I couldn't care less about them. I have little doubt that the same company will sell me car insurance with different branding.

In fact, maybe you could point out where I was "ranting" about any of those things?

I didn't say you were ranting...I was refering to the posts in this thread that ranted about women getting x,y,z while men forlornly look on.

My original post was just pointing out that most women aren't spending their time trying to get back at men for years of 'repression', for want of a better word. Some of the threads in this forum go ape when there's evidence of positive discrimination towards women. It regularly spills over into displays of paranoia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Or why it's ok for black people to have MOBO's but white people can't have MOWO's? (or similar in Ireland)

Black trash isn't acceptable for hill billy black people, but white trash is acceptable for hill billy white people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

does that make it right?

if a group of guys want to go and hang out or work out without women watching them whats the difference to a group of women doing it? there is none and thinking otherwise is hypocritical and you know it

women can play the golf course as far as i know they can use all the facilities i dont think even curves is that accepting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Black trash isn't acceptable for hill billy black people, but white trash is acceptable for hill billy white people

Absolutely. They are called "Blacknecks", and they are alive, well, and thriving in my area. They aint no gangstas either ya hear, amen to jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Very few women play golf, and fewer again can afford that kind of money.

Errr that gets my vote for most sexist comment ever!

GreeBo wrote: »

If only I could vote :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

TotalFitness gyms also have a separate area for the fat chics ladies to exercise.

This is a good day for the men of Ireland.

That's reason enough for a separate area, whereas the other ones can remain in full view at all times, especially in the showers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

GreeBo wrote: »

No word of a lie though, all women spend every penny they make on expensive handbags and crap cars with 'friendly faces'. It are fact.
    Men spend money on meat and fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

kowloon wrote: »
    No word of a lie though, all women spend every penny they make on expensive handbags and crap cars with 'friendly faces'. It are fact.
    Men spend money on meat and fighting.

If you are very good at fighting one need not spend ones acquired wealth on meat, you can simply take the meat of others.

If you are very good at fighting one need not spend ones acquired wealth on meat, you can simply take the meat of others.

That's the spirit :D.

Is it so alien a concept that maybe they just don't give a ****e? And in case you missed my question earlier - what will be gained by forcing private clubs (men only ones, of course) to accept members that they don't want to?

No, a lot of women don't give a sht on a lot of things, but that doesn't mean we all are going to get complacent about it. For instance, I think there is still a high amount of misogyny in this country. I see it in this thread and any other thread concerning women in here. I don't think anything will ever be gained by forcing anyone to do any thing they don't want to do, that will only further stoke the fires, imo. And I don't see why the golf club would be different. However, I like to challenge certain attitudes instead and leave a reminder that some of us still feel marginalised on society a lot of the time, or more than we should in this day and age.
    From the Irish Ladies Golf Union website:
    "Golf is the highest participation female sport in Ireland, with almost 60,000 female golfers in the country aged from 8 to 88, playing on a regular basis."

Yeah but they're probably too busy fighting for gay rights rather than womens' :P
    I would argue that the pendulum has swung the other way, especially in the work place.

Not many workplaces are aptly suited to cater for the working mother (or father). It's not written into policy yet. Maternity leave is not a great solution, imo.

You know as well as I do a manager would rather hire a 30 something year old male over a female.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Or people of different ethnicities have their own societies exclusive to their culture, but whites don't?
    They do, when you go over to the UK or US you'll find plenty of Irish or Polish clubs, two pretty white nations.
    Or why gay people have their own clubs but straight people can't have straights only?
    I don't think gay clubs are exclusively for gay people they're just targeting a gay market.

kmick wrote: »
    We have Paddy's day now come on?

Paddys day doesn't celebrate 'straightness'

You know as well as I do a manager would rather hire a 30 something year old male over a female.

Not the lecherous feckers I work with.
    On the other hand, I've had female bosses who much prefer the boys, which kills any notions of sisterly solidarity.

ScumLord wrote: »
    They do, when you go over to the UK or US you'll find plenty of Irish or Polish clubs, two pretty white nations.

Yes but that's they consider themselves a different ethnicity to the rest of America.

There are no legitimate Irish clubs here that disallow non-Irish joining.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Not the lecherous feckers I work with.
    On the other hand, I've had female bosses who much prefer the boys, which kills any notions of sisterly solidarity.

20 somethings, maybe...

Well business is business, and money is money. Both female and male bosses know women of that age may go off and have kiddies soon.

Advertisement