Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Nothing like the VR to wake up a lad.:D:D:D
    I am looking forward to dungarvan. I must owe you a beating by now.

Your saying that along time !

Aerobic

Inbetween nights,woke early today and decided to go for a run to wake myself up...worked a treat but im shattered now and have a night ahead of me...i'll sleep for Ireland tomorrow....

5.7m @ 7:09p

Aerobic

Off nights and rearing to blow away the cob webs this evening so off i went not knowing how long or fast i was going to run,9 times out of 10 when i run with this perspective i end up having a steady run and today was no different.I went out the country past ballygunner and took a right which brought me over behind ballinamona and back in the old tramore road,then straight in past Kingfisher and up the hills to home from there and it was a pleasure.When its bright i take this route for a 10 miler as it has 8 nice hills of 200/300m each,the two leading up behind ballinamona are the real testers and its all good.
    Physio tomorrow morning to get a rub and freshen up the legs so possibly no run after that.

10.6m @ 6:54p

Went to the physio earlier and he went to work on me,outside of left calf,left glute and right hamstring the main offenders....had the small fella with me in there and he was horrified to see this man inflict pain on his father....he's a good young fella.
    Will give the run a miss today as instructed but hope to do intervals tomorrow,they may have to be postponed until later in the week if i am still tender.

Med Long

The legs were a little sore today so didnt chance the intervals...went for med long instead and happy i did as it was a challenging day for running out there,horrendous winds and heavy rainfall made it a messy affair.
    ran easy for the first 8 miles and finished strong with miles of 6:45,6:42,6:32,6:11 to bring me to the heat of the shower.
    At the end i came to the conclusion that i could have ran the intervals,i just didnt think it was possible during the first few miles so continued on my merry way instead of hitting the park.

12m @ 7:04p

• Advertisement

Recovery

Mystery tour session last night with work crowd,great laugh....nice few beers and hit the captain morgans late on...paid for them earlier today.
    Drove over last night to force myself to run over to pick it up,nice breeze to blow away the remains of last night.

4m @ 7:50p

Med Long

Another med long to report,2 days after my first one in 8 weeks...it was a slog tonight,not really enjoyable,was not feeling it and the legs were heavy.Thats 2*45m weeks in a row,an increase of about 25% mileage per week and i felt it tonight.I also never run well straight out of work,i would be better off coming home and sitting down for an hour but didnt want to do that of a Saturday night so off i went from work.
    I made the route up as i went along,a right mix of hills and dark country roads that my only guidance on them was the beautifully lit moon.
    Really happy to see the end of it though.

13.1m @ 7:29p ( w/320m elevation gain,a nice bit for me but nothing for the more hardy hill men on here )

Long Intervals

Looking forward to this earlier,Saturdays 13m took alot out of me,i slept really well since then thoug and was rearing to go thi morning.

1m warm up
    1.5m @ 5:55p
    400 rec
    1.5m @ 5:47p
    400 rec
    1.5m @ 5:48p
    800 warm down.

Total 6.5m

The first one was the toughest by far and i was motoring well near the end,the legs were perfect but blowing a bit,will try push on from here pace-wise over the next few weeks.
    Time was of the esscence so could not do much warm/down unfortunately

Recovery

Inbetween nights and as i have been doing the last few weeks i headed out for a slow trot to wake myself up for tonight.
    A nice cool crisp day and thoroughly enjoyable.

5.5m @ 7:38p

Recovery

No a planned one but was absolutely shattered today,finished this morning and usually i get up around 2 after nights and after an hour i am ready to run,but didnt happen today and only got out the door at 8:30 and by them i was fit for the bed,but i went anyway and tipped along very slowly as i was also just finished my dinner and had a belly full of Spag Bol and a few cuts of garlic bread...a few empty reaches going up the hills but got over that.

8.5m @ 7:50p

Rest day tomorrow and 15 on Friday sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Recovery

No a planned one but was absolutely shattered today,finished this morning and usually i get up around 2 after nights and after an hour i am ready to run,but didnt happen today and only got out the door at 8:30 and by them i was fit for the bed,but i went anyway and tipped along very slowly as i was also just finished my dinner and had a belly full of Spag Bol and a few cuts of garlic bread...a few empty reaches going up the hills but got over that.

8.5m @ 7:50p

Rest day tomorrow and 15 on Friday sometime.

Good going to get 8.5 done when being close to passing on it.

Do you have a plan for remaining 2.5 weeks? Are you going to do more specific HM pace work over remaining period?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Good going to get 8.5 done when being close to passing on it.

Do you have a plan for remaining 2.5 weeks? Are you going to do more specific HM pace work over remaining period?

At this stage the half is just another training session,the 10m in Dungarvan on Jan 29th is my new target.
    I have no hope of breaking 80 mins at the half,training just not enough.
    The last 2 weeks have been good though...45 each week and maybe 50 this week,but only 2 interval sessions the last 8 weeks tells a story in itself and no tempos.
    I'm doing 15 tomorrow and will throw in some 6:06's in there and see what happens.
    Next week my intervals are 4/5*2k @ 6:06 with 1/1.30 rest inbetween.
    Having said all that,i will see what shape i am in on the day and go with that but im not putting myself under any pressure.

Aerobic

Plans thrown into dissaray today,meant to drop the small fella to my mothers tomorrow at some stage and get my 15 done but she is busy so ran tonight instead,will take a rest day tomorrow and do the 15 Sat morning (hopefully ).
    Felt kind of sluggish tonight,right thigh muscle a bit sore and uncomfortable while running so will have to monitor that.

8.5m @ 7:26p

Med Long

Hurricanes/Tornados and Whirlwinds out there today,only got any sort of wind on my back after an hours running and even that was short lived,it was one of those days when the wind was in every direction i ran.
    I picked a nice quiet country route for the most part,finished well considering i was battered with winds for the first 11.
    Thats a nice few 12/13/14's in recent weeks but im nowhere near racing a half,i know that for certain,but i'll plug away.

14m @ 7:01p

Aerobic

A handy run today,had planned a rest day but had to bring the car home for herself from work and decided to run back then.

5m @ 7:18p

48m for the week....weekly high for 2011
    180 for the month....only 79 in October...tells a story

Tempo

No running since Monday,combination of a few things,I had developed a strange knee discomfort last Sunday and Monday,not runners/jumpers knee...i had that beofre,this was like something was loose in there,no pain just felt unhinged ( for the want of a better word ),with that inmind and things just went against me anyway with the OH having to go into work a bit more and my mother usually takes the little fella if i was trying to fit a run in,she was away for a few days...so all that meant no running.

I was itching for a run tonight,in town all day soaking up the early Christmas atmosphere and getting a few bits and bobs.

Set off thinking everything was alright,then i started to feel the discomfort but after about 400 metres or so it went away so i drove on.
    Felt good but infairness i was well rested.

4m @ 7:14p
    4m @ 6:05p
    2m @ 7:15p

10m @ 6:47p

Only 16 for the week,we will see how the knee is tomorrow,i may run again tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck if you're still the HM

Waterford Half

What a rollercoaster day today,only 2 runs in the last 2 weeks due to a slight knee complaint and everything else getting in the way,i was very sceptical about todays chances.
    I was in work so clocked out at 12 and with a 12:30 start i had loads of time,had registered last night and as i was not racing there was no pressure,as i got nearer the RSC i quickly realised that there was no-one out warming up and i thought...oh sh!t it was a 12 start...bo!!ox how did i make that mistake...parked the car in Woodies carpark and got some very strange looks as i ripped of my tracksuit and top,a few smart comments..."did you give them a head start" and the like,so off i went and i could no even see the ambulance that is behind the last person.
    Bombed the first mile in a panic 5:39...i though jaysus, i better cool the jets or ill be in a heap pretty soon.
    Next mile 6:06...had caught the last person midway through mile 2 and was enjoying this perspective of the race,as i weaved through groups and people the whole road wide,it was difficult at times to get through.
    I then settled into a nice rhythm of 6:30's as that was the plan all along,just got a rush of blood at the start.
    Continued to pass people in their droves all the way,met loads of people i know and they were all to happy to have a chuckle at me being late.
    Had a chat with VR who was pacing a group,met a few of my other buddies and slowed down while talking to them before moving on again,got to 10m just under 65 mins and pushed from there to finish with miles of 6:05,6:06 and 5:54 and 5:26 for last 0.1m.
    I was delighted in the way i ran,extremely comfortable all the way,slowed loads of times talking to people and could easily have knocked another minute off that today.
    A good finish to the year which was very sketchy all the way and with very little since the national half i have to be happy with that today

13.1m - 82:59 ( my watch ) 87:29 ( official )
    Thats a PB by the way,i had a soft PB of 83:37 from 2009

1155 finishers,so i passed 1120 on the way...it was an adventure and a run i will remember for a long time,loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

As Dell Boy would say Rodney you Plonker:D:D
    You must work for the council. Clock out at 12 and be running at the start line at 12.05:D:D

As Dell Boy would say Rodney you Plonker:D:D
    You must work for the council. Clock out at 12 and be running at the start line at 12.05:D:D

It was 12:07 when i parked the car,jumped out,tracksuit off,hit the watch,waited for satellite connection and off i went.
    I was 4:30 behind the start,met a buttie of mine along the way and he was running 1:02:30 and i was just hitting 58.
    Managed to catch the 90 min pacers just after 10m.
    I wont be late for Dungarvan...i can guarantee that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sosa wrote: »
    It was 12:07 when i parked the car,jumped out,tracksuit off,hit the watch,waited for satellite connection and off i went.
    I was 4:30 behind the start,met a buttie of mine along the way and he was running 1:02:30 and i was just hitting 58.
    Managed to catch the 90 min pacers just after 10m.
    I wont be late for Dungarvan...i can guarantee that !

Dodgy knee myself too so i dont know what the story is.......
    You appeared ot be only jogging at 3 miles.......

Dodgy knee myself too so i dont know what the story is.......
    You appeared ot be only jogging at 3 miles.......

With the stop/start year i had,i was surprised to knock out that run under 83 mins,i was hoping to manage 85 tbh but i think having to start 5 mins after everyone spurred me on.
    I plan ( and i use that term loosely ) to have a good 6 weeks now to get me in good shape for Dungarvan,but we will see what happens.
    I will def do a med long and either a temp or interval session each week just have no idea what the weekly mileage will be.
    The Waterford Marathon is happening though,i have no idea what kind of training i will be able to do but minimum is sub3 on the day,taking into consideration that it is not an easy route,not a killer route either but i reckon tougher than Cork/Dublin.
    Surely you will be down for that.

Aerobic/Recovery

The pace may been recovery style but i do not consider a 10m run a recovery regardless what sort of shape i am in.
    The legs were fairly stiff yesterday and i suppose rightly so,while it may have been easy for me on the day,i was running faster than my training was suggesting so paid the price a bit for it.
    When i am running well and 50+m a week i generally don't get any pain or stiffness after races,i would just be fatigued ( new buzz word for tired ,that Rory McIlroy uses every week these days ) but i was fine today and what was planned to be a 6m run urned into 10.
    A good solid start to my mileage count for this week.

10m @ 7:59p

Aerobic

Reporting Wednesdays run,forgot to post it.
    Still tired from Saturday but thankfully ran this a bit better.
    No run Thursday.just not enough hours in the day.
    Hope to do 6 later today and 12 Sunday morning.

10m @ 7:16p

Aerobic

A strange weeks running so far this week,a slow uncomfortable 10 on Monday,Rest Tuesday, another sluggish 10 on Wed,Rest Thursday,then a good steady 10 today.
    Working last night so did not see the bed until 8 this morning,up at 1,i have difficulty sleeping after the first night.
    The house was empty so i got the gear on and hit the road,was planning 4-5 slow but ended up running 10 again and glad i did.
    Started off casual enough then picked it up in the latter few miles to get under 70 mins which i did with 8s to spare.
    Thats 30 for the week in 3 runs and i hope to do 12-13 tomorrow or Sunday to finish off the week.

10m @ 6:59p

Aerobic

What a strange weeks running i have had,4 runs,40 miles 4*10m...al different routes.In my 4 years running,never have i done 4 tens in one week...my last 5 runs have been the half last Sat and then the 4 10;s this week.
    Nothing to report pace wise but nice to get a 40m week in.

10m @ 7:27p

No clue what next week will hold with Christmas,a night out and my annual basketball match Thurs night ( will not be a hero this year,took me a week to get over last years efforts )-

So then a 40m week followed by a 0m week
    Have not run this week and won't be now at this stage.
    Mon and Tue just could not find the time,Wed i was working at when i got home we had visitors...Thurs night i had my annual basketball match with my former teammates and once again i pushed the boundaries and am paying for it since with legs like blocks,sore knee and the like are hindering my walking at present never mind running.
    So i'll rest up until Monday and start afresh and try give myself a good 4 weeks in the lead up to the Dungarvan 10.

Happy Christmas to everyone on here and heres to 2012.

What a poor December i have had,only 7 days running in the month,5 of those were over 7 days (the half and the following week ),ran today for the first time since 17th,combination of being to bisy nefore Christmas and then got sick christmas eve and only got over it a couple of days ago.Today was just about getting out the door.

5m @ 7:27p

2011 - The year that was.
    Well in short it was a poor year overall,only 1572m ran ( down 600+ on 2010 )The year started well in Dungarvan breaking the hour mark for 10m and i tried to maintain that for the spring shorter distance races but struggled to set any PB's there,narrowly missing out on PB's in successive 5 milers in Feb but plugged away through the summer and ran a very fast ( for me ) 27:47 in Portlaw for 5m but the route was short ( 4.92m ) projected time judging on final mile pace would have been 28:13...a PB by 9s....only mediocre running after that for the remainder of the summer.
    All eyes were on a sub 80 attempt att the national half in Sept on home turf,was on target to 9m but had to pull up and walk/trot home in a dissapointing 85 mins.Sept onwards has been very hit and miss,a few small injury problems halted any steady mileage i was trying to maintain but ran the Wat half in 83 mis off very litle running in the previous 3 weeks and was very comfortable chatting all the way but since then...very very little.

So on to 2012...Dungarvan in 4 weeks and im in no shape but as usual i will endevour to get 4 good weeks under my belt and take it from there.
    I will also be doing the WVM Waterford Viking Marathon on June 30th....no target time,will see what kind of training i can do.

Happy new year everyone !

Aerobic

First run of 2012 and just happy to run 2 days on the spin.
    It was a bit faster than yesterday but i did tire the last mile,i was just up and tired from working last night so it was a cobweb blower of a run in nice mild conditions.
    The aim is 40m this week with a 12 miler at the tail end of it with some 6:00 miles in there and see how i cope with that.

6.2m @ 7:11p

• Advertisement

Recovery and Aerobic

4th straight day running and delighted to be back in the flow.
    Yesterdays run was a sluggish slow recovery,just off nights and didnt get out until nearly 9 last night when i was fit for the bed.

Today i chanced a 10 and got throught it alright but the galeforce winds tried the damnest to battle me all the way,they were tough sections at times,i hit a cross wind coming from my right at one stage and it was so strong when i lifted my right leg it blew it to the left and i tripped myself up catching my other leg....hope no-one saw that !
    Will go again tomorrow and take a rest day Thursday as i know i wont get out.

4m @ 7:52p
    10m @ 7:24p

Advertisement