Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Found this on the wiki for s-video, a place in germany that modifies PAL N64's to RGB:

http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_info.php/products_id/8382/cPath/133_145/nintendo-64/umbau-n64-pal-auf-rgb-incl.-rgb-booster-kabel.html

Bit expensive!!!!

On a side note it's funny that Conkers Bad Fur Day has slight PAL style borders in the NTSC version :)

Ouch, it must be their own MOD though, & prob requires external bits n pieces. Priced out of the water imo. If they priced that mod @ €30 they'd have every EU retro collector looking for their business.

In the meantime I checked my own (christ I've never seen a console screwed together so well, there must be nearly 30 screws before you get the mobo out :eek:

Mmmonkey says this:

n64consolefun.jpg

And I've got:

awx3rt.jpg

Looks like I'm in luck :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,910 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What is your NS number? it's on the bottom of the console on the sticker with the barcode.

Mines NS293379449 which I'm presuming is too late a model.

What is your NS number? it's on the bottom of the console on the sticker with the barcode.

Mines NS293379449 which I'm presuming is too late a model.

NUS-001

Is that what you mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,910 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope there should be a different sticker on the bottom with an NS number which will be NS xxxxxxxxx underneath a barcode.

Nope there should be a different sticker on the bottom with an NS number which will be NS xxxxxxxxx underneath a barcode.

Ugh, it's gone back to the attic & that will have to wait :) I have the NUS - 001 with the (A)VDC-NUS chip though, that's been confirmed to be RGB moddable.

• Advertisement

Think all N64's are NUS 001, mine is anyway. The NS number is what will tell you when it's made. Just wanted to know if it's a late on and if there's hope for mine. Was it a coloured N64 or a black one?

You wouldn't know german by any chance? :D

http://free-for-all.ath.cx/daten/n64rgbmod.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm pretty sure "Spiele" means "wire".

I'm also pretty sure BMW, Mercedes Benz, & Audi & VW all mean 'cool badge, poor car' :D

Em mine's a black one (the usual colour). Apparently the translucent NTSC ones like yours are more favourable for overclocking though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You wouldn't know german by any chance? :D

http://free-for-all.ath.cx/daten/n64rgbmod.html

I actually do speak a bit of German, and I understand some of that just because of their habit of spelling newer words slightly differently than English :pac:

But there is a friend in need, and it is called google chrome. Auto-translation, and quite good at that! Kind of miss the days of completely broken English responses though: now it's only partially broken.
    Who does not know? to check out his Nintendo 64 back out and closes it to be HD-TV and all the games look not so good (noisy, blurry, etc.), as it is but still so well remembered her ^ ^ °

Now this is partly because, at that time was not a norm or RGB standard for consoles as it is at this day.

Here you can create in a limited form of relief with the Mod depending on the
    of relatively simple to complicated.

There are three variants of RGB mods for the Nintendo 64 consoles

- Mod No.1 is only for NTSC consoles with the revisions
    NUS-CPU-01 to NUS-CPU-04
    and the very rare French PAL consoles, called NIS 001 (FRA) or revision NUS-CPU (R) -01
    because these revisions to the VDC-NUS chip inside the video have created an RGB signal.

- Mod No.2 is only the French PAL console and that these consoles have an S-RGB chip inside the Developer in the brackets in it.
    This is because the Nintendo to at that time was not yet known, which was introduced in France now and PAL as the standard.
    Because at that time, France had only SECAM TV standards.
    This is good in the sense as it only a few missing solder SMD components must.

- Mod No. 3 is a time now gone bankrupt company were developed and then was offered as an example, Wolf soft conversion.
    this mod was time for the PAL consoles with the DENC chip.
    This conversion is now almost impossible
    since you do not get the chips used for the A / D converter still really need the data to be burned onto the chip.
    Qualitative but according to opinions of people at that time, the mod could not be installed at Wolf Soft are very good and who will rebuild this mod variant,
    1. lucky to find the necessary things and
    2. be familiar with programming chips, etc..

PS get the necessary components at Conrad Electronics and Reichelt
    the components in the lists are linked to the entries from Reichelt.

Otherwise, I recommend a 4.5 mm External Torx screwdriver or bit to get

• Advertisement

Hmm overclocking? So the rare games won't feel like you are walking through treacle... hmmm interesting although there might be complications like with o1s1ns megadrive.

Some N64 RGB goodness:

http://img528.imageshack.us/i/zelda64021ch5.jpg/
    http://img528.imageshack.us/i/zelda64054vf7.jpg/

Looks amazing. Composite really does look so piss poor, it seems especially bad on the N64. I was reading about s-video, seems that the difference between it and RGB is that RGB will have slightly better colour but s-video gives the same sharpness and also doesn't have the composite artifacts. Think I can live with that. Hope it makes conker look good because it looks awful in composite.

Hmm overclocking? So the rare games won't feel like you are walking through treacle... hmmm interesting although there might be complications like with o1s1ns megadrive.

I've no idea really. The complications were that I used too long of a piece of wire form the new oscillator to the cpu, once I shortened it it was perfect. Of course then his sound amp gave in a few weeks later, but i reckon he was trigger happy. I replaced that off an old MD to his oc'd one & as far as I know it's all still working??

To be honest, I don't think the N64 is worth the attention of overclocking etc. I doubt any significant gains could be made for all the hassle. A relatively universal RGB N64 would do me :)

I have a PAL one, & and an NTSC one, & also that passport thing so there shouldn't be much I cant run.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I replaced that off an old MD to his oc'd one & as far as I know it's all still working??

It's still working yep. Gave it a go the other day with a Megadrive FPS called Bloodshot. Normally the game is totally unplayable due to the frame rate- something the overclock really improved significantly.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's still working yep. Gave it a go the other day with a Megadrive FPS called Bloodshot. Normally the game is totally unplayable due to the frame rate- something the overclock really improved significantly.

Complications, complications are made to be figured out. I laugh in the face of complication (excluding the PSone 8 wire stealth install method for SCPH-102 model PAL PSone units of the Sony Playstation video gaming console of the late 90's).

Master of the Universe

Was someone saying before that n64 overclocking wouldn't work as the games were capped at a certain fps?

On the topic at hand, I got the ps1 jamma connector. It's a lot smaller than I thought and will definitely work with the PSone. It's just a small board with a Jamma edge connector, dip switches, two controller connections and a connection to go to the AV out.

I don't think there was a power cable though. Maybe it needs a separate cabe running out of the console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up my beloved Super Gameboy today in Rage, happy days!
    Nearly ended the marriage though :(

Still, now I get to play Gameboy DonkeyKong, the greatest GB cart ever, in full colour!

GB Donkey Kong really is amazing. Starts off like a port. Turns into one of the best puzzle platformers ever.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nearly ended the marriage though :(

Sounds to me more like that Super Gameboy nearly done you a favour :p:D (joke!)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was someone saying before that n64 overclocking wouldn't work as the games were capped at a certain fps?

Think a lot of the Rare games are capped at 25 FPS or lower. Still it might make a difference since most of the rare games don't even hit that most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think a lot of the Rare games are capped at 25 FPS or lower. Still it might make a difference since most of the rare games don't even hit that most of the time.

Are you just buying Rare games so you can mock them :pac:

Ya have to laugh at that, and to be fair, it's completely true :D The actual capped frame rate might be an improvement, how sad is that!

Are you just buying Rare games so you can mock them :pac:

Just seeing if they are as good as I remember. Most haven't lived up to when I first played them but the Banjo games are good and Blast Corp and Jet Force Gemini are still amazing. I have them all now except killer instinct gold but I don't want killer instinct gold because it's gash.

Just seeing if they are as good as I remember. Most haven't lived up to when I first played them but the Banjo games are good and Blast Corp and Jet Force Gemini are still amazing. I have them all now except killer instinct gold but I don't want killer instinct gold because it's gash.

My knowledge of Rare is actually quite limited since I wasn't an N64 kid. It's a shame because of all the consoles it's the hardest one to revisit due to the aged 3D games it's populated with. I tried Conker on Xbox and wasn't the biggest fan, but have always wanted to try Banjo and some of the others. Must get around to them at some point, or whichever ones are in HD anyway! Having skipped that particular console though, the controller and excess jaggies are hard to get used to, barring the typically high grade first party releases :(

The nintendo games and a handful of others are the only ones that aged well on the N64. They knew the limits of the N64 so their games have decent framerates and bold cartoony graphics. Even still the two zelda games can have dodgy framerates. The N64 wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the lack of RGB on the system. N64 games through composite just look absolutely disgraceful and it's even worse on a modern TV.

As for rares games if you have no nostalgia for them then you won't enjoy the majority of them. I've talked too much about goldeneye and perfect dark so lets just say if you didn't like them back in the day you'll find nothing of worth. What Rare seemed to be doing during the N64 period was copying nintendo and coming up short.

Diddy Kong Racing is about as good as Mario Kart 64 but since that wasn't the best it's not saying much. You'd be better off with Beetle Adventure Racing or F-zero.

The rare platformers tried to build on Mario 64's collectathon gameplay and went too far and ruined their games. Banjo Kazooie is a decent game, it's no mario 64 beater but it's still very good. However after that they went to far with too many things to collect and ruined Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie (to a lesser extent, DK64 is a disgrace). Conkers hasn't aged that well. The frame rate from todays play session is terrible and the humour in the game is something a 12 year old would struggle to find funny, full of badly written fart jokes.

Were Rare actually did well was when they try their own thing. Jet Force Gemini is a gem. It has a bad framerate but it's not nearly enough to ruin this great game. the blasting is great fun and the levels are very open. It's also funny how much gore the bugs let out when they die.

Rares best game on the system by far is the glorious Blast Corp. It's just unpretentious fun. The only story is that there's a truck carrying a nuke that can't turn or slow down so you use a variety of vehicles to destroy whatever is in it's way. It's pure releantless arcade fun. The framerate can be a bit crap though but it seems par for the course for rare games. They just push the system way too hard at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was incredibly disappointed with DK64, I always thought it was just me though, not being able to keep track of all the collectibles, the myriad of different areas.
    There was almost too much to do in that game. It was telling that the high point in it was finding the original, playable, Donkey Kong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I always much preferred diddy kong racing to either mario kart 64 (even on multiplayer) or beetle adventure racing. F-Zero X on the other hand is incredible. Don't think I could pick one over the other in terms of the sheer amount of enjoyment I got from them though.

When people talk about rgb being the only way to play snes/MD games etc, I feel people are overstating it slightly. It's not like mario's jump physics change, you're still playing the same game, and composite isn't such a complete mess that I can't distinguish everything. Can't say the same for the n64 though, RGB wouldn't hurt there at all :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

e6846c78.jpg
    got this for about 4 quid delivered on ebay , Its actually good craic , although you have to get yourself into a early 90's mindset 'cos thats when the questions are from ..;)

Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    When people talk about rgb being the only way to play snes/MD games etc, I feel people are overstating it slightly. It's not like mario's jump physics change, you're still playing the same game, and composite isn't such a complete mess that I can't distinguish everything. Can't say the same for the n64 though, RGB wouldn't hurt there at all :D

You either -

Don't have any RGB cables and are going by screenshots
    Are playing on an LCD and not a CRT
    Don't have it plugged into the RGB scart socket
    Your TV doesn't support RGB
    Wear glasses

:P:P

Seriously dude, RGB & a CRT = perfection. Once you get used to it, playing on any other setup is horrible. I've been playing my Xbox with AV for a few weeks and just had to stop until the RGB cable came in the post.

I was also testing out a broken Snes with AV last week or so and it was absolutely ugly as sin.

• Advertisement

ghostchant wrote: »

The picture quality is much higher. It's like going from VHS to DVD, that's fact. So it's more a case of, why would you want to play games in lower quality? When the RGB connection makes such a difference...

It's like everything with enthusiasts, we want to get the best out of everything, in this case, display quality from retro consoles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement