Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ghostchant wrote: »
    I always much preferred diddy kong racing to either mario kart 64 (even on multiplayer) or beetle adventure racing. F-Zero X on the other hand is incredible. Don't think I could pick one over the other in terms of the sheer amount of enjoyment I got from them though.

When people talk about rgb being the only way to play snes/MD games etc, I feel people are overstating it slightly. It's not like mario's jump physics change, you're still playing the same game, and composite isn't such a complete mess that I can't distinguish everything. Can't say the same for the n64 though, RGB wouldn't hurt there at all :D

The F-Zero games were brilliant. GX on the cube prob my favourite, looked gorgeous and the sense of speed is excellent.

I agree about the RGB in relation to consoles of that era, it might make the picture a bit clearer but I'm not overly fussy about it, hardly makes the games unplayable not using RGB. Sure if you want a proper authentic feel then RGB is not the way to go. ;)

No doubt somebody will post that Sonic comparison picture again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Sure if you want a proper authentic feel then RGB is not the way to go. ;)

But most of the 16-bit stuff upwards has native RGB...

It certainly doesn't make the game unplayable, but once you've been spoiled by seeing rgb in action on a crt, from then on RF will detract from the experience.

Go & watch a VHS...it produces that same muckness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So I take it you guys also use AV cables for your 360s and ps3s? Who needs HDMI, the games are still playable through AV. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Got myself a Game gear with 8 games for a total of 30€ from adverts. Needs work as it does not power on when using battery, and when I connect using a power supply the screen display was black and white line.

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633600c26e02ccdc92f3dbd9dcb70d6e4aae.jpg

Also got my hands on a Commofore 64 with tape deck for 60€.

2140083606_db54b91fe8.jpg

Now to have a place where I can have all my consoles and computers on display.

Um, I didn't say RGB doesn't produce a better quality pic. Just saying some folks go on like it's heresy if you use the cable that came with the system in the first place. That's all.

And o1s1n, comparing snes/md era to 360/PS3 that supposedly ushered in the "HD" era = not fair! Also not sure what your definition of AV is, if you mean component then whatever difference between that and HDMI is it wouldn't bother me. Hey maybe my eyes are just gammy compared to you whipper snappers. :D

/Edit. For the record I do have RGB cables for the Snes/MD before I banned from here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well when I first saw the huge jump in quality from AV to RGB I was really annoyed that I had been playing with such poor visuals. The games might still be playable in AV but they really do look horrendous on AV and you aren't getting all the detail in the graphics without RGB and the colours are all washed out and wrong. Don't get me started on the horrible colour bleed and dot crawl artifacts.

You can still play games in AV but when you have the choice of RGB which will cost you 10 euros at most for the cable why would you play in AV when RGB is such a massive leap in quality? People think that te leap to HD graphics was huge but since I was playing in RGB it really didn't seem that big of a leap. The leap from AV to RGB is massive while the leap from RGB to the HD consoles is small in comparison especially when a lot of modern games are barely above 480p.

10 euros for an RGB cable will be the best tenners euros you spend on that console. I think the real questionis why the hell aren't you playing in RGB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

o1s1n wrote: »
    You either -

Don't have any RGB cables and are going by screenshots
    Are playing on an LCD and not a CRT
    Don't have it plugged into the RGB scart socket
    Your TV doesn't support RGB
    Wear glasses

:P:P

None of the above :p
    I never said there wasn't a difference, I just said that people overstate how 'horrible' composite is. Are you saying you can't play mario/sonic without RGB? It may be glasses rather than RGB that's required (j/k :p )

As for modern consoles, as I said I think the N64 (and up) look crappy in composite, that obviously includes current gen stuff. They also support surround-sound, 3D in some cases, but I don't think I'm necessarily missing out by not having those.

BadassAndrew is back! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Also got my hands on a Commofore 64 with tape deck for 60€.
    :eek:
    Last two I bought on evilbay were €5 each!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    :eek:
    Last two I bought on evilbay were €5 each!

A C64 with tape deck for a fiver?

• Advertisement

The last one on ebay.ie went for 77€, and I do not feel like paying the 30 sterling for postage from the UK. also a newer model C64 is for sale at 50€ on ebay.ie. If I could of got one for 5€ working on ebay I would off.

The last one on ebay.ie went for 77€, and I do not feel like paying the 30 sterling for postage from the UK. also a newer model C64 is for sale starting at 50€ on ebay.ie. If I could of got one for 5€ working on ebay I would off.

EnterNow wrote: »
    BadassAndrew is back! :p

Hehe nah man just rl stuff had me away, finally put up some towel holders over the wkend that the misses had been waiting 4 yrs for! :pac:
    Glad to see you got on ok with the Amiga, great machines they are.

Some old magazines I got recently (just so I'm not derailing the thread):

megatech.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Just got Death Smiles for Xbox 360:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

EnterNow wrote: »
    A C64 with tape deck for a fiver?
    Well it was 2 years ago. Have they gone up that much since then? They were €5 each, with tape decks and I gave them €20 for about 100 tapes. Got them by pick up from Roscommon.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Well it was 2 years ago. Have they gone up that much since then? They were €5 each, with tape decks and I gave them €20 for about 100 tapes. Got them by pick up from Roscommon.

Well you got a very very good price, that wouldn't be what they'd make on average, they usually get a bit more than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Terrible news, about Rage again....
    They will now take orders over Facebook/email and will take paypal, I'll never have a cent again...
    All my money will just flow into Rage's till, might as well have the paycheque over every fortnight...
    That ZX81 looked very nice, so did the C64....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Terrible news, about Rage again....
    They will now take orders over Facebook/email and will take paypal, I'll never have a cent again...
    All my money will just flow into Rage's till, might as well have the paycheque over every fortnight...
    That ZX81 looked very nice, so did the C64....

What happened now? I was going to take a trip in later in the week,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

why oh why oh why must i keeep missing the end of auctions on my watchlist. missed out on point blank 2 and time crisis with a lightgun there that ended for 4 euro in ireland with no bids

DickyC wrote: »
    What happened now? I was going to take a trip in later in the week,

I think your sarcasm detector is broken:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you guys done a real time comparison between two consoles? Get two of the same console (I've done this with a Snes and a Megadrive). Put them both on at the same time and running to two different stations, one RGB scart and the other AV. Then flick between to see the quality difference. There are some differences a photo can't show. You need the image moving.

Anyway, on the topic at hand (!) picked up some goodies. Here's a couple of Retr0's favourite games - (Robocop Versus the Terminator Snes is harder than it should be to get, had to get it from Germany)

RVT.jpg

And then the PS1 to JAMMA connector-

ps1jAMMA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

pdbhp wrote: »
    I think your sarcasm detector is broken:pac:

not quite broken yet, but with the luck they have had so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As much as I think RvsT on the megadrive isn't a great game the SNES version is dirt :)

DickyC wrote: »
    not quite broken yet, but with the luck they have had so far.

Poor Rage, I thought the same when I first read the post

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Latest stuff i got, thats the third copy of sonic 2 ive had in as many weeks, expect that and a copy of madden\hockey up in the retro trade thread once i make sure they are working!

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6135.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

:D

This is what arrived for me today/picked up from adverts

Everything is complete and near mint, like i need to state that anymore :P

Lethal Enforcers is sealed, which is great caus i already have a cart of it

DSCN2336.jpg

Cheers to Megadeath2x who I got most of this stuff off, really nice chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

to quote that guy from Night Trap "I can't believe what I just saw"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCPL3DJ72tM

enjoy :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Another few games, like above, bought from Megadeath2x!

IMG_6137.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

You got to Moonwalker before me Keithgeo!

• Advertisement

That megadeath chap bought most of my CPS2 SF2 boards, he got them for a steal too seeing as nobody in Ireland actually wants the likes of SFA3 or SS2T it seems.

Sound chap too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement