Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    If you come on here telling us the game got a bad rap, & that it's not as bad as people make out...I swear :D

It's a very misunderstood game and the people that slag it off have never played it before. Also it's much better in it's original NTSC form since the frame rate of 10 FPS is far more playable than the PAL versions. Also people fail to realise the social commentary in the game. The manual states that the green mist in the game is a product of Lex Luther and is 'Kryptonite Gas' but this is really a ruse and is in fact a direct commentary on the poor draw distance in most N64 games and the poor implimentation of anti aliasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a very misunderstood game and the people that slag it off have never played it before. Also it's much better in it's original NTSC form since the frame rate of 10 FPS is far more playable than the PAL versions. Also people fail to realise the social commentary in the game. The manual states that the green mist in the game is a product of Lex Luther and is 'Kryptonite Gas' but this is really a ruse and is in fact a direct commentary on the poor draw distance in most N64 games and the poor implimentation of anti aliasing.

Nice try, close...but no cigar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Once they kicked Russell T Davis out and get Stephen Moffat in as the main guy behind the show it went from being crap panto to actually being quite good.(basically once Matt Smith came in as Dr. Who).

The few episodes I glimpsed at on Dave or whatever channel it was, must have been from that era so.

I think i remember catching a glimpse of an older episode that looked better.

It was set back in Victorian times-ish, and while he's having a conversation with a woman on the street,
    there's a piano tha'ts held up by some rope/hoist in the background, and the rope is starting to tether.

A mother pushing a pram walks towards the piano, and he ends up throwing something that helps snap the rope so the piano falls before they walk under it and saved the day.

If that rings any bells, or mallets in this case. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got project zero on the xbox in the post this morning.
    You'll enjoy it, it's creepy as hell though! Sera tells me the second one is much better and up there with Silent Hill 2.
    (it's not even creepy) this is true, I cleared the first one pretty fast but it was the PS2 version, I'd like to try the Xbox version (have it there) to see what controls are like and stuff.
    But PZ2 is one of my favourite games, there's improvement from the first one but it's not as scary as PZ3.
    And now I've longings for all them again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Mint as usual Pyongyang!

Got project zero on the xbox in the post this morning.

You on the gargle already? Suppose it's almost lunchtime now. :p

Well don't be making Pyongyang-esque purchases! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Today I received this fine GET! ...and a packet of hot pockets. Bizarre. But nice. :)

073yZ.jpg

waveform wrote: »
    It was set back in Victorian times-ish...if that rings any bells, or mallets in this case.

Ask Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale. Sounds like it's set around the time he was born... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Killer Instinct and Super Metroid arrived for the snes today, happy days. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Ask Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale. Sounds like it's set around the time he was born... :pac:

This abuse will not be forgotten...
    When you are all kneeling in your own filth, praying for a release from your misery... or a typical Friday night out for o1s1n!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

My new naomi panel arrived today.

And those sticks, only way to describe them is "hella tight controls!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

...and a packet of hot pockets. Bizarre. But nice. :)

Hot pockets are amazing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They were here for a while, in the early 90's, Pillsbury made them, or something like them.
    Lovely, cheesy bliss... Like Gears of War!

Not those hot pockets Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale, the ones you open, put in your pockets and they keep your hands warm. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This little fellow arrived this morning, Canabalt for the C64, forgot I had ordered it. Pretty sure my C64 has long since disappeared though so will need to source another. :(

c64anabalt1.jpg

c64anabalt2.jpg

c64anabalt3.jpg

It was the brilliant music that convinced me of the purchase:

Not those hot pockets Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale, the ones you open, put in your pockets and they keep your hands warm. :)

My bad...
    They are/were super tasty and the food of choice, along with Jolt cola, of gamers EVERYWHERE.

(well, when I say gamers everywhere I mean American gamers between the years of 92 and 2003 or so, sorry I can't be more specific)

The better half bought one of those little chemical marvels, for the heating properties of course but also so when you pass their stand in the Pavilion in Swords you can honestly tell them "No thanks, have one" without lowering you head in shame and ignoring them like usual!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My bad...
    They are/were super tasty and the food of choice, along with Jolt cola, of gamers EVERYWHERE.

(well, when I say gamers everywhere I mean American gamers between the years of '68 and '72 or so, sorry I can't be more specific)

The better half bought one of those little chemical marvels, for the heating properties of course but also so when you pass their stand in the Pavilion in Swords you can honestly tell them "No thanks, have one" without lowering you head in shame and ignoring them like usual!

Let's not kid ourselves here :p:p

K ill stop now!

I was only born in 72!!!!
    Sure, I was there for Pong, 2600, Vic 20, ZX81 when they were new, but so what?

Slag Dinorex! His first console was a DC! Burn him! Stone him!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    This little fellow arrived this morning, Canabalt for the C64, forgot I had ordered it. Pretty sure my C64 has long since disappeared though so will need to source another. :(

c64anabalt1.jpg

c64anabalt2.jpg

c64anabalt3.jpg

It was the brilliant music that convinced me of the purchase:

Nice! That hopefully means I should have my one today too.

And I'd also completely forgotten I ordered that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

I got this today -
    6765717915_2a2698f696.jpg
    Untitled by evanSpiddal, on Flickr

Got it for €30 on eBay from the US, thought it was a great price since i nearly bought the cart only off another seller for €25!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hate to bring it up but it's a really poor port of the game done by Tose. It's no where near as bad as the PS1 port but they really ****ed up the music in the game which is one of the best things about it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just got word that Canabalt arrived. Hurrah!

I'm building up quite a stack of stuff in the parents. Will have to drop out and pick it all up one of these days. Will make for a smutty afternoon with the camera :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Hate to bring it up but it's a really poor port of the game done by Tose. It's no where near as bad as the PS1 port but they really ****ed up the music in the game which is one of the best things about it.

... so what would you recommend as the best way to play this game then?

Sounds like the best way to enjoy it is to not play it and instead just stare at the box and imagine having fun playing it!
    This is also the best way to play Rise of the Robots and Duke Forever as it happens.

Master of the Universe

... so what would you recommend as the best way to play this game then?

SNES although the carts are expensive. You could also try emulation. For FF5 you can find a fan translation but it's much better translated than the official square enix translation (that at one point is so bad it tells you to go in one direction while actually meaning the opposite direction). Also there's two versions of FF4, the US version and the japanese version. Japanese version with a fan translation is again the way to go because 1. it's better than the swill that passes for english in the US version and 2. they cut down the difficulty and most of the class abilities in the US version.

For FFIII/6 the GBA port actually isn't too bad and the music is a hell of a lot better but still not as good as the SNES games. However there's some bizarre censorship in the GBA port. Luckily there's no point messing with fan translations because both are translated really well.

Haha sorry! I'm a dope. Thought it was FFIV!

You're grand so, the GBA port is pretty damn good :)

Haha sorry! I'm a dope

Filed for later use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

If it was FFIV I'd have a bigger problem with the ATB guage, since the US version has a glitch.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/ATB_Glitch

That's the version I have and I'd noticed it myself before looking it up. No issues with FFVI though, really like the GBA port :)

ghostchant wrote: »
    If it was FFIV I'd have a bigger problem with the ATB guage, since the US version has a glitch.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/ATB_Glitch

That's the version I have and I'd noticed it myself before looking it up. No issues with FFVI though, really like the GBA port :)

Ah,Tose. Always with the ****ty ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

At least they apparently fixed it for the European release. Couldn't be bothered tracking it down when the PSP port is so easy to find and (presumably) better

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement