Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Picked up this lot from the Car boot this morning off two sellers for €42 in total.Needs a major clean as it's all fairly dirty.3 Dreamcasts,5 pads,fishing rod yoke,light gun,Snes Joystick,Megadrive 2 & 2 pads ,8 n64 games,2 megadrive games & 2 Master system games.Happy days:) Sorry for the biggish photo's.

DSCF2276.jpg?t=1303646780

DSCF2277.jpg?t=1303646780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

Just picked up pokemon red with no sticker took a gamble and it payed off some friend nicked that off me years ago, also picked up pokemon silver which i never had and always wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Wow I need to get myself to a car boot sale..

Wow I need to get myself to a car boot sale..
    I hadn't gotten anything for weeks,but eventually, "boom" you hit the motherload :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

€42!? Wow, that is some haul well done. Is that arcade stick for the Dreamcast? I'm on the hunt for one but not sure what ones are good.

Loved Castle Of Illusion, great game. Loving your work!

• Advertisement

The stick is actually for the Snes,doesn't seem to shabby either but I've yet to check it out.I'm hoping to get those dreamcasts looking like the one you recently restored back to its former glory;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cots1 wrote: »
    Just picked up pokemon red with no sticker took a gamble and it payed off some friend nicked that off me years ago, also picked up pokemon silver which i never had and always wanted.

Hasn't the battery died? If not, I think you'd be one of the few still able to
    make a save on a cartridge version. How come the Rage's already starting to raise its prices? I mean, there were Dreamcasts going for 20 a couple of months ago, and now they're going a bit wild on pricing. Don't you have to
    completely corner the market before you start exploiting it?

Anyways, on topic, picked up Viewtiful Joe (PS2) for the pricely sum of 99p. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Hasn't the battery died? If not, I think you'd be one of the few still able to
    make a save on a cartridge version. How come the Rage's already starting to raise its prices? I mean, there were Dreamcasts going for 20 a couple of months ago, and now they're going a bit wild on pricing. Don't you have to
    completely corner the market before you start exploiting it?

Anyways, on topic, picked up Viewtiful Joe (PS2) for the pricely sum of 99p. Good times.

I was in RAGE at the weekend and was a bit surprised with the really high prices myself. Don't know what he's thinking really. Should be building up a loyal base of retro customers and not trying to rip us off. And some of the prices are just mental at the moment in there.

I had actually gone in with a decent bit of money to spend on some retro stuff but decided to get things online after having a look at the prices in the shop. I really want to give a local business the trade but if he keeps charging high prices I'll just go to Ebay and Amazon for my retro hit.

Maybe the owner was in that new "3D Games" shop on Grafton St and reckons he can charge stupid prices for stuff as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah that's annoying :(

He's probably testing the water to see how high he can go with prices before sales start to drop. Hopefully people will vote with their feet and he'll get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was in RAGE at the weekend and was a bit surprised with the really high prices myself. Don't know what he's thinking really. Should be building up a loyal base of retro customers and not trying to rip us off. And some of the prices are just mental at the moment in there.

I had actually gone in with a decent bit of money to spend on some retro stuff but decided to get things online after having a look at the prices in the shop. I really want to give a local business the trade but if he keeps charging high prices I'll just go to Ebay and Amazon for my retro hit.

Maybe the owner was in that new "3D Games" shop on Grafton St and reckons he can charge stupid prices for stuff as well :(

What sort of prices were being asked? The PS1 games I was looking at last Friday were decently priced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I think prices for the retro games are going up everywhere, on ebay recently too i think the prices have increased a bit. Im a bit more cautious about buying stuff off there now, you have to look around some people charge ridiculous ammounts of money for things.

What sort of prices were being asked? The PS1 games I was looking at last Friday were decently priced.

Some software/game stuff is still priced ok. It was mainly the hardware I was looking at. So a very yellow and dirty/scratched Dreamcast with no cables/PSU/VMU/Controllers was €50 (€20 euro 3 weeks ago when I was in for a better condition one). A SNES with no cables/psu/controllers €60. Crappy N64 games were about 7 euro and popular N64 games about 13 euro. You can still find a bargain if you have a look through all the games but his prices are definitely on the way up.

I also noticed they're selling copied Amiga games on floppy disk. Not sure about the legalities of that myself but it looked a bit weird if you ask me. Maybe they are using the old loop hole of selling the disks as blanks and you must format them yourself.

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    So a very yellow and dirty/scratched Dreamcast with no cables/PSU/VMU/Controllers was €50 (€20 euro 3 weeks ago when I was in for a better condition one). A SNES with no cables/psu/controllers €60.

Are you serious? Wow, that's a pretty crazy increase. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay €60 for a Snes, let alone one with nothing but the unit on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are you serious? Wow, that's a pretty crazy increase. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay €60 for a Snes, let alone one with nothing but the unit on its own.

GameSexchange has a Snes in the window for €49 will all cables etc. I personnally think €49 is way way to high for a snes, since I got one for €20 with two controllers 2 years ago off ebay.

When I did get my GBAsp(zelda edition €40 in case someone missed me saying that last week lol) I had a look in 3Dgames first. A purple GBA was €29 in there, in RAGE it was €12, I did tell the guys in RAGE at the time, just so they would know what 3dgames was charging, so yeah he may be putting up his prices to see how far he can go, but in this day an age he would be best to keep his prices low or we will all go elsewhere of course. But he does have rent to pay too, but still...

I was going to get a DC last week but on the update on FB he said DC was €70!!!! thats way too much I think when you can get one anywhere else for between 20 to 50 instead, with games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

I think prices for the retro games are going up everywhere, on ebay recently too i think the prices have increased a bit. Im a bit more cautious about buying stuff off there now, you have to look around some people charge ridiculous ammounts of money for things.
    Recession in some places,people struggling to pay their debts so flog off their priceless air looms,tbh an irish retro shop cant really compete with the net unless they are operating from their house to avoid rent/utility charges.

I also noticed they're selling copied Amiga games on floppy disk. Not sure about the legalities of that myself but it looked a bit weird if you ask me. Maybe they are using the old loop hole of selling the disks as blanks and you must format them yourself.

The format and most of the companies are dead so no one really bothered with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I really hope they don't try to jack up the prices constantly. The reason word was spreading about the shop was the low prices, almost as low as ebay and you'd see the stock in person. If prices shoot up, then people will just go back to buying online, and I reckon it'll leave a bad taste in peoples mouths to see retro gaming exploited to such a degree.

I really hope they don't try to jack up the prices constantly. The reason word was spreading about the shop was the low prices, almost as low as ebay and you'd see the stock in person. If prices shoot up, then people will just go back to buying online, and I reckon it'll leave a bad taste in peoples mouths to see retro gaming exploited to such a degree.

As you say, the prices were a little higher than Ebay and the other online stores and that was fine as you can walk in and have a look at the item and no postage cost and all that. But now that the prices are going up it just wont be worth it and I'll stick to Ebay and Amazon. Hopefully he will sort out the prices and then I will gladly give him my money.

Got a CIB Mario Kart on the SNES the weekend and a boxed Atari 2600. Just missed out on a Boxed Gameboy advanced earlier on Fleabay, it sold for something stupid like a fiver including delivery! God damn broadband machine in work was crawling and the page loaded with 1sec left on the clock. Did anyone here grab it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I clickedy clicked and now await my Snes Batman Returns to get here, all the way from our friends on eBay! Good on them!
    Worked out at 15 euro, including postage.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I clickedy clicked and now await my Snes Batman Returns to get here, all the way from our friends on eBay! Good on them!
    Worked out at 15 euro, including postage.

About time! :p You've been going on about getting that game since Atavan was wearing nappies.

• Advertisement

I've directed the RAGE guy to this forum so he said he'd answer any questions we have about the prices etc.

Id say more than likely the prices are going up in RAGE simply because the prices are going up on the internet. if these things are selling for more on the net then they obviously have to make their money back or else its not worth the effort.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Id say more than likely the prices are going up in RAGE simply because the prices are going up on the internet. if these things are selling for more on the net then they obviously have to make their money back or else its not worth the effort.

Maybe for games yeah. But the cost of the hardware seems to have taken a giant leap in RAGE. Will see what he says anyway.

yeh good point, although they do cost a fair whack to post, most consoles posted from the UK cost at least 20 sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The.rage

Hello everybody, just wanted to respond to a few things that I read above and hopefully add some clarification. Somebody earlier said that we were selling a Dreamcast for €50 and a snes for €60 "console only"? I'm not sure what day you were in but that isn't correct. On the display shelf we have the consoles alone and keep the cables in the back room & the controllers hanging above the games. Over the weekend there was a dreamcast and a snes sitting there on their own. I'm assuming you asked "how much for the dreamcast" and whoever working at the time said "€50". That particular dreamcast (now sold) DID in fact come with the power cable, AV cable, 2 controllers, 1 VMU and a rumble pak. When we opened, we were selling unboxed DC's for €30 with only one controller. We sell official controllers across the board at €10 and VMU's for €10, so with the latest Dreamcast we decided to sell them all together and throw in a rumble pack for free. Regarding the SNES, we sell them console only for €20, so i really don't know where the €60 came from, unless it was with two official controllers.
    Lastly, did our prices go up? Yes, they did. Why? Since we opened, we told every customer that our goal is to remain competitive with Ebay prices (can you name any independent, non franchised shop in Dublin which strives to do that?), and I believe we have. Granted there are always things you'll be able to find cheaper occasionally, but I think on average we're doing a pretty good job. The value of games (as determined by ebay) has gone up in the last 6 months, for example, Mario Kart 64 unboxed was being sold for £10, now we see people selling it for £13-£15 and that doesn't include shipping. Therefore, when we opened we sold it for €9.95 and now we sell it for €14.95, which I think is fair enough as we are not taking into consideration the exchange rate or what people charge for shipping. The flip-side to that is that back when we opened, if you brought in that mario kart, we would've given you $5 cash or 6.50 exchange, we now give 7.50 cash or 9 exchange because the value of the game has gone up.

I apologize if that was a bit long-winded, but I assure you that The R.A.G.E. isn't a shop fueled by greed, nor is sellng retro games a lucrative business. The goal has always been to offer a good selection at fair prices. I will be more than happy to answer anybody's questions or concerns either publicly or privately.

Nicholas DiMaio

Regarding the Amiga games, a guy came in and I purchased all of the official titles. He had tons of copied disks that I didn't pay for, nor particularly want, but he gave them to me for free. When I was putting them on display it looked a bit bare so I put the copied games out as well with the official titles to the left and the copies to the right. We've sold a handful of the official titles at 50 cents each and have let people take a couple of the copied ones for free. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression so we will take down the copied disks immediately and if you want a couple for free with a purchase they will now be behind the counter.

didnt realise you took trade in's, have a couple of boxed megadrive games spare, sonic 2, streets of rage, with manuals. must drop in with them.

Thanks for the price clarification, i think retro prices are just going up across the board to be honest.

Thanks for getting back to us Nicholas.
    That seems to have cleared up a lot of stuff anyway. I think some of the problem is that maybe one person in the shop gives one price (perhaps the wrong price) and then another (yourself) gives the right price. This happened to me a few times in there and that's fine as these things happen. But maybe if someone walks in and asks how much a particular things is and gets the wrong price and leaves before getting the right price that might make them think twice about going back.

If everything had a price tag on it that would sort that out but might also take away from the haggling that we all like to do when we go in :D

Anyway, it might look like we/I are/am bitching a bit about your shop but we're also saying very good things about it and I for one am happy it exists and am more than happy to part with my cash inside if I can find something at the right price. I'd rather support a local business than send my money overseas, except "3D Games" on Grafton st, they cant have my money ;)

On another note, do you think you might ever sell spare parts for consoles? Say, buy in faulty consoles and sell off the spare parts. Might be a bit of money in that.

Also, emmm, this is a bit cheeky.
    How about a discount code of some sort for all us boardsies :D:D:D:D

Or say spend 50 euro get a voucher for 5 euro towards next purchase. Something like that.

Cheeky I know, but I had to ask. :pac:

• Advertisement

I appreciate your concern Steve, I've instructed Dave to put up a poster clearly outlining the price of all consoles today. I read your previous post, and yes we were selling a Dreamcast 3 weeks ago for €20, but it was console only. I can't stress enough that our prices of hardware have not risen whatsoever and remain consistent since the beginning. I've been selling records for 6 years now and have established enough contacts to where a lot of the records I have for sale in the shop are actually cheaper than online prices. Although I've bought games for most of my life, I've only been selling them for a little over 5 months. I'm approaching the gaming side of the shop with the same fervor as I did in the past with the music and price-wise I'm confident that in a little bit of time the result will be similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement