Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options
  • 28-10-2009 5:04pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Right this is my brand new sparkly training log, for my brand new sparkly year of training.

I've already posted for a year over in Fitness, and am now moving to a new home for the next stage of whatever the heck I decide to do.

The original log is here

To recap on who I am, female, 38 (never gets easy saying that). Weight has become irrelevant, not too skinny, not too big. I go by my shape, these days. Mostly been running up to now, with some kettlebell and circuit training thrown in.

Completed various 10ks, with pb of 45.40 or so. 10 mile pb is 1.17, Half marathon pb is 1.41, and my only marathon, Dublin, just completed, 3.59.27. Tough guy winter 2009 in 2.38, (partial course closure) and TG Summer 3.01.

My aims this year are:
    To learn to swim properly
    To start to cycle for training
    To add the above to running and do a sprint tri.
    Continue with kettlebells and increase weight.
    Will do TG Winter again.
    At least one marathon, with a better time.
    TG summer or Gaelforcewest.

In a nutshell, I want to see how much further (and faster) I can push this. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Best of luck Oryx, will keep an eye on this. I'm just back from a massage, legs feel fine, just have to find a new challenge and start my own log now that the allstars have been disbanded. :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sub430 wrote: »
    Best of luck Oryx, will keep an eye on this. I'm just back from a massage, legs feel fine, just have to find a new challenge and start my own log now that the allstars have been disbanded. :eek:
    Glad youre getting back to normal. I did a cycle this morning on the static bike. Just 20 mins, but it helped. Ran next door though, and 20 seconds of running, my legs felt like lead!

I have a feeling the allstars will be back together for another go in 2010. :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the dark side of the logs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Welcome to the logs and good luck with your goals. I plan to get back to running soon to with a few new goals, hope to keep track of yours.
    BTW congrats on your time on monday, you must feel elated to get under that mythical 4hr mark!!

No proper runs yet since dcm. Its hard but I know I need the break from it for at least a week. Got to the pool for my first swim this morning. Spent an hour in the water, did 55 20m lengths in that time. They were the most disjointed clumsy and woeful lengths ever seen, but it sets a baseline to improve from. Cant manage to take breaths properly yet, and my technique is all over the place. So a lot of work needed. But sure its something new to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey best of luck with the log Oryx and congrats on DCM.

For some reason i thought you were male:confused: oh well ...

Best of luck with the swimming. I am pretty much in the same boat swimming wise. The bike and road fitness is there but god, for the life of me, i swim like a castrated donkey. I can swim but have atrocious technique!

Ill be keeping on eye on here to see how ya get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Oryx. You've worked really hard and it's really paying off. How do you manage to fit all the training in with the little people :confused:

Thanks very much, littlebug and ULstudent. Got to try and keep the gains now, it never ends. :)

Did circuit and Kb classes last night. 45 mins of one, half hour of the other. One of the circuits was catching a medicine ball thrown from a height. Caught it badly, and my little finger went snap*. Very painful. Made the rest of the sessions interesting. Other than that found it all ok, no real fatigue problems, tho couldnt go deep on the squats, my quads werent up to it. :D

*Today the poor digit is black and wont move. But sure I hardly use it anyway.

Me and the girls got together for girlie weight night. Didnt do a hard session, mostly practicing kb technique (jerks are a new move). Also some getups, situps, a bit of bike, stretching.

No run yet since dcm, and Im getting twitchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Oryx wrote: »
    Me and the girls got together for girlie weight night. Didnt do a hard session, mostly practicing kb technique (jerks are a new move). Also some getups, situps, a bit of bike, stretching.

No run yet since dcm, and Im getting twitchy.

I don't know why but this post has me LMAO this morning, dunno if it was the "...girlie weight night" (a phenomenon I've never heard of) or "...Im getting twitchy!" :D

Well done on your first Marathon, I'd say that sub4 was satisfying!

Actually, just had a read through your fitness log and I have to say its an excellent balance of cross training, core, resistance, and running... I'd hazard a guess and say you have sculpted quite a figure for yourself;) Funny log too!

Best of luck with your log Oryx all the best for 2010. I'll follow with interest...

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    I don't know why but this post has me LMAO this morning, dunno if it was the "...girlie weight night" (a phenomenon I've never heard of) or "...Im getting twitchy!" :D
    Girlie weight night is my own copyright. :)
    Well done on your first Marathon, I'd say that sub4 was satisfying!
    Bloody amazing. Didnt aim for or expect it.
    Actually, just had a read through your fitness log and I have to say its an excellent balance of cross training, core, resistance, and running... I'd hazard a guess and say you have sculpted quite a figure for yourself;) Funny log too!
    Ta very much. Im a woman, so Ill never be happy with the figure. Up to July I was quite 'sculpted' but with more running than weights your shape changes accordingly. Back into weights mode now, to get my biceps back.
    Best of luck with your log Oryx all the best for 2010. I'll follow with interest...
    Yup, heres hoping a busted pinky is my only injury this year. Thanks for the good wishes. :D

Thursday:
    Finally got my legs under me and went out for a short run. 4 miles on a beautiful morning. Thought it would be cold but was warm once I got going. Didnt time it. No point. Felt pretty ok, a little heavy in the legs towards the end.

If anyone had told me 18 months ago I would be outside at half seven in the morning, in November, in shorts, Id've been sick from laughing.

In other news, last night I spent most of the night dreaming I was doing Tough Guy, very badly. Just goes to show how much its on my mind, and I woke up thinking I really really dont want to do that stupid event (which Ive already entered). Most likely will do it, though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Excaptain

Completed various 10ks, with pb of 45.40 or so. 10 mile pb is 1.17, Half marathon pb is 1.41, and my only marathon, Dublin, just completed, 3.59.27. Tough guy winter 2009 in 2.38, (partial course closure) and TG Summer 3.01.

Guys,

I did a spot of volunteering at the DCM last week. For all that finished congrats to you. You are an inspiration to the marathon virgins out there (me) & I will most definitely be joining you all on the start line in 2010.
    Good luck with the training

N

Saturday:
    Out early for my usual short run. 4 miles 34 mins. Slow, but not bothering with speed at the moment. Im supposed to be resting. :) Tried out my new Brooks Launch shoes, they feel bouncier and more cushioned than the burns, but prob cos the burns are knackered. I think tho, that these will turn out to be a good shoe once I wear them in, better than the Ghosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Thanks for the encouraging post - I'm doing my little best!

Just looking through your goals there - I also briefly had the idea to do a triathlon but I can't swim for nuts and didn't want to be the first triathlete to be 'lost at sea'. Which is a shame as I used to love cycling. Discretion, cowardice, valor, etc.

As for you and your Tough Guy stuff - that's insane alright! I watched it on Setanta and it looked like the guys at front were ok because they could keep moving and (maybe) keep warm - but those at the back were having to stand around and queue in freezing mud and water at every section!? Is that what actually happens!?! Mud I can take. Water I can take. Even muddy water I can take - but hypothermia?!?!? Ah now...

bourne99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouraging post - I'm doing my little best!

Just looking through your goals there - I also briefly had the idea to do a triathlon but I can't swim for nuts and didn't want to be the first triathlete to be 'lost at sea'. Which is a shame as I used to love cycling. Discretion, cowardice, valor, etc.

As for you and your Tough Guy stuff - that's insane alright! I watched it on Setanta and it looked like the guys at front were ok because they could keep moving and (maybe) keep warm - but those at the back were having to stand around and queue in freezing mud and water at every section!? Is that what actually happens!?! Mud I can take. Water I can take. Even muddy water I can take - but hypothermia?!?!? Ah now...
    Whatever you think you saw, however bad you thought it was, its worse. :) Think of cold so bad, it doesnt feel cold, it just hurts.

Ha, and re triathlon, I cant swim OR cycle. Should be fun.

Wow, I need to update.

Sunday 8th.
    Hungover. No training

Monday 9th
    Circuit class, kb class. Nice and strong, all good.

Tuesday 10th.
    Hmmm. Feel like sh!t. No training

Wednesday 11th.
    Headcold coming on... I think. No training.

Thursday 12th to Sunday 15th.
    Full on flu is what it was, dammit. No training. No getting up at all, in fact. This is what I get for doing a marathon, apparrently.

Missed my chi running course. <insert multiple swear words here>

Sigh.

Lets start again, shall we?

Monday 16th
    Circuit class and kb class. Better than expected considering it was my first active, leave the house day in a week. Managed it all, felt fine afterwards.

I saw the Tough Guy event on Setanta also and you sprang to mind. Nuts, utter lunacy. Hey a Triathlon will be a piece of pie after that.

MAJOR KUDOS to your achievements this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck Oryx, was very impressed with your pb's in running. I think you will enjoy the new challenge of the tri's particulary the swimming, no better feeling when you know you are beginning to make progress in the water.

Tuesday:
    Girlie weight night. Turning into a bit of a gossip session instead of a training session at the mo, cos I tend to lead what goes on and Im knackered most Tuesdays. :) Still, did stretches, 10 mins on tready, some kb weights.

Thursday:
    Today is a stormy day! Went out for a run in all that weather. Took a bit of a deep breath to make myself go, but once out, it was nice, not at all cold. Wind was a bit of an issue, but only in certain spots. Short route, 34mins. Not fast, but generally Im not right now.

Just reminding myself as I go of what I have planned so far for the coming year.

Tough Guy 2010 31st Jan *entered
    My Sport 10k 14th Feb *entered
    Wicklow Adventure Race 17th April *entered
    *Wexford Half Marathon 2 May *not registered yet
    *DCM 2010 25th October *not registered yet

Will update as things progress!!!

• Advertisement

Saturday:
    Another run planned on one of the worst days of the year. Ho hum. Out at half eight this morning. At first I thought, this aint too bad.... half way around the wind caught me full on, along with pelting rain, which hurt!! I couldnt even keep my eyes open, it was insane. I kept repeating 'Just gotta get home...' :D Very tiring running into the wind. So much so I had to walk the last steep hill a half mile from home. My lungs were shot. 34 of the roughest minutes Ive put in in a while. Four miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Saturday:
    Another run planned on one of the worst days of the year. Ho hum. Out at half eight this morning. At first I thought, this aint too bad.... half way around the wind caught me full on, along with pelting rain, which hurt!! I couldnt even keep my eyes open, it was insane. I kept repeating 'Just gotta get home...' :D Very tiring running into the wind. So much so I had to walk the last steep hill a half mile from home. My lungs were shot. 34 of the roughest minutes Ive put in in a while. Four miles.

Sounds like a gentle warm up for a TG training session:)

Sunday:
    No run today, went swimming. 60 clumsy lengths. I reckon i look like a drowning horse in my attempts to swim. But it did feel easier than the first time, and every now and again I got the hang of taking a breath without inhaling half the pool. This can only get better,

In other news, Im buying my first bike and turbo set up. Shipping from the uk, as its the best deal I can find, money being tight and all.. Cant wait to get into this next stage..

Monday:
    Circuits. For the first time since DCM, I gave it as much as I could, almost 100%. Really felt it, it was a good session.

Followed by kettle bell class, which included swings, single 12kg and double arm 16kg, deadlifts 16kg, snatches 12kg, double arm row 2 x12kg (?) push ups, bench press 16kg/12kg(?) squats with military press 16kg. And a few other things Ive forgotten. (?) means Im not sure what the proper names are. A really hard class, at one stage I was bent double trying to get my breath back. You gotta love that.

I hurt all across my chest and in my arms today, which I see as a good sign. :)

Nice circuit session there. I used to love circuits, it was my favourite part of training and the stiffness when you push the boundries... all good! BTW 60 lengths clumsy or not is good going.. well done :)

Thanks MCOS. That was the kb session after the circuits. Circuits were four rounds of: squats/military press (10kg), skipping, pushups, sprints, situps using medicine ball against a wall, deadlifts, lunges, more situps lying on a swissball, and a weird one that involved jumping while throwing a heavy medicine ball. Roughly 40 seconds per station. Warm up cool down before and after etc. God, it sounds easy written down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Just reminding myself as I go of what I have planned so far for the coming year.

Tough Guy 2010 31st Jan *entered
    My Sport 10k 14th Feb *entered
    Wicklow Adventure Race 17th April *entered
    *Wexford Half Marathon 2 May *not registered yet
    *DCM 2010 25th October *not registered yet

Will update as things progress!!!
    Best of luck with the log. Might see you on the line in Enniscorthy.
    Hope you will be able to change your pb stats after that.

Tuesday:
    Girlie weight night. Was very stiff, so just did a bit of rowing and some basic crunches and weights. A night off, pretty much. Then on to tea and yak yak yak.

Today Im so stiff I could cry. I walk like John Wayne after a long day in the saddle.... damn you, squats, damn you!

Thursday:
    Out this morning for a nice run. 10.75k, 56 mins. God but Im slow these days. Still, once I got into it I enjoyed it, but will need to start some shorter tempo runs to get my speed up to a better level. I think Ive just got lazy about it.

Im liking my new Brooks Launch btw, theyre turning out to be a good shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hiya, you are not that ruddy slow, that's a nice oul pace for a Thursday morning training run.

I am so out of shape now, it's unreal, 3 x 3 milers since the marathon, don't know where it's all gone wrong.

Are the brooks launch a support shoe?

Advertisement