Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its Wexford, last year I did 1.45, so would hope to at least match that, but my running training has been patchy this year.

Thursday:
    Yawn. Its catching up on me. Had a bit of physio yesterday to try and ease out my legs. Then ran this morning and undid all the good work. :) 4 miles 34 mins (slow), but didnt try to run fast anyway, I could feel the strain in my calves and my hip hurts. Mortality sucks.

Legs are stiff now but nothing worse than marathon training did last year.

God Ive been slack in keeping this updated.

Friday:
    Half hour turbo, no hrm, it was on the blink again. But sweaty anyway.

Saturday:
    4 mile run 32mins. Pushed it towards the end. Must start sprints/fartlek/tempo. Must must must. :)

Sunday:
    20mile bike, approx hour and a half. 1000m swim. 35 mins. Yeah, I know, slow. But getting there.

Monday:
    Circuits. Pushups, unnamed weight exercise, crunches, rope whip, ball roll (hard), ball throw crunch, bent over row, reverse lunge with pull up, weight exercise, squats. 3min continuous of 30 second circuits. Fun. Sweaty but not excruciatingly hard. My quads are weak/fatigued though, I noticed it on the squats and lunges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

How much did you spend on your turbo oryx?

Im in the market for one thats not too noisy and expensive to tide me over the summer and winter.

Training looking well too. Great to see consistant weight training in a log.

Having trouble fitting in weights right now, its a real issue, the kb classes have moved to a time I cant do and I miss them. Am trying to make 12 hours of training fit into 10 hours of time. :)

The turbo is a tacx sirius, I paid £140 sterling to the UK crowd I got the bike from. Theyre cheaper on chain reaction cycles tho. Happy with it, it is quiet alright.

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    More kayaking. Easy session, but it was choppy and hard to steer. Really beginning to love it tho.

Wednesday after not enough sleep, I fell apart. All training plans for the day were shelved. Was in bed zzzing by nine o clock.

Thursday:
    Made up for yesterday by getting out early and doing a 4 mile run. Felt hard at first, almost turned around and went home, but stuck it out and was grand by the end. 33mins.

Next stop the half mara on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi oryx, i saw you there a couple of hundred yards after the top of the big hill at sinnotts town lane. You were wearing a red t shirt right? I only put the face to the name after you had passed. I knew i recognised you from somewhere. Hope the race goes to plan.

Wasnt me! I was in white with black shorts. Howd you do? Will report the race here in a bit :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Wasnt me! I was in white with black shorts. Howd you do? Will report the race here in a bit :)

oops, case of mistaken identity then. I didn't run today, just a spectator. Looking forward to your race report.

• Advertisement

Was a bit edgy heading into this race, as I havent trained specific for it, and having done it last year, I had a time to match or beat. Pressure...:)

The morning was cold but perfect running weather. The first five k, over the bridge, along the quay and out the rosslare road were lovely, relaxed and easy. 7.3mm pace. (What I didnt realise was the wind was at my back, helping). Got passed by a guy pushing a buggy at 3k, which was the best p-taking I ever saw at a race. :D But sinnottstown hill knocked the stuffing out of me, I kinda knew it would. By the time I got to the top of whiterock, my legs were burning and I was seriously out of breath, in spite of slowing down a lot (9.3mm). Even heading down the hill wasnt a break, as the wind was in our faces. Took a gel then to try and get the legs back.

The middle section was ok, I know the route, the only bit that hurt was going up the hill past the racecourse. The downhill stretch from there I used to try and get my pace back up and gain the time I lost. The traffic cones were a great idea, even though the walkers were in the way a lot. After that I felt the worst was over, carcur hill was just a nice plod, no pressure, back under 8mm pace. I didnt realise the main street was quite so long, but at that stage, nearly done so just pushed on. I knew I was running a similar time to last year, and couldnt do much about it. Along the quay to the finish there was no chance of a sprint, the wind was making going very hard. Crossed the line in 1hr 44, just one minute faster than last year. Not a pb, but god, you could never pb with all those hills. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done persevering through those hills, good running.

Great run oryx, conditions were tough out there with the wind. I think times in general were a bit slower so that's a great run altogether. Any DCM plans this year?

OI wrote: »
    Great run oryx, conditions were tough out there with the wind. I think times in general were a bit slower so that's a great run altogether. Any DCM plans this year?
    Yeah, I noticed not to many women got in in front of me, so cant have been too bad. Undecided about DCM, its a big training commitment, and Im kinda in Adventure race/ triathlon mode. But never say never! Im still racking my brains to figure out which person on whiterock you were. :) You doing dcm?

I would love to do dcm if i remain injury free. I was standing just before the entrance to one of the estates on your left. I had the young lad with me in the pram and i was wearing a black tracksuit top, glasses :)

I'm sure I did see ya, OI, but not well enough to pick you out in a line up. :D Next time, eh?

Monday:
    Sea swim. Borrowed a wetsuit as mine hasnt arrived yet. Swam 750m along the shoreline, I found it hard going and it was very stop/start for me. Waves throw you around a bit and the salt is horrible, but just a matter of getting used to it. The buoyancy was a real advantage though. The only thing that wasnt an issue was cold, only my feet felt it.

Did a 5 mile run afterwards to warm up, which was easy at first but then my co runners picked up the pace. Legs ached afterwards, but was good.

Tuesday:
    An easy training night with the girls. Bit of spinning on the bike, pushups, situps. Wasnt motivated to do more, I needed a rest.

Wednesday:
    Rest. Tired, it all caught up today, as usual.

Thursday:
    A rushed day. Half hour on bike, indoors

Friday:
    Another rushed day! Half hour on bike before work, then a session with the kettlebells in the evening

Saturday:
    5 mile run. 41mins (8.2mm pace) Calves still stiff once I run any distance, right one particularly. But a nice jog.

Sunday: 28 mile cycle. Had the wind against me coming back, and my front derailleur failed as well.. Such are the joys.. Another cyclist got me moving again tho. Did 760m in the pool afterwards. Technique was all over the place, but otherwise it felt pretty ok.

Monday: Sea swim. It was so rough it was a bit like being in a washing machine. Nuts, really, but pretty fun. We got swept along the beach, and the waves were so strong that we couldnt swim back and had to walk back on the shore. I have bruises on my feet from that. Afterwards did a 5k run, club did 10k but I had to quit after one lap. I wore my trisuit to run and the cold just got to me. Didnt warm up properly till the next day!

Wednesday: Didnt train tues as was wrecked from monday, when the cold had got to me. Did an hour of core work and kettlebells as couldnt get out to do anything else and my bike is at the shop bein fixed.
    Thursday: 4 mile run. 33 mins. One of those days when it dont feel good and you dont enjoy it, but its done anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If its that cold you are using a lot more energy to stay warm and work out especially in choppy conditions. My first OW dip was on Monday and the cold, coupled with putting on a 9 month dormant wetsuit, had my shoulders feeling fairly tired when I went swimming in the pool Tuesday.

Fair play to you going for a run afterwards! We all just shivered our way back to the car heaters :o

Nice piece on Jude in the CW by the way, I enjoyed it.. even if your 'tenses didn't match at times' meh ;)

Thanks :) Have another swim on Monday, please god it wont be as rough, or as cold! :)
    Friday: Four mile run. 33 or so minutes, but felt much better than the previous one yesterday. Am tied to home with sick children this week, so its hard to get any other training done.

Saturday: Another run, 5 miles this time. 42 mins. The hills had me gasping but otherwise a nice run, enjoyed it. Hopefully weather and kids permitting, Ill get my bike run in tomorrow. Have roar next Saturday, and am underprepared, as usual. :)

Sunday:
    It was raining but th bike cant be avoided.. Did 28 miles. Am still going at a snails pace, but still managed to be a little faster than previously. Took me under two hours including a short break. Im still a poor cyclist but i can feel small improvements every week. After the bike did a short swim which felt very ragged in technique but stamina is getting better all the time. 25 mins in pool but lost count of lengths!

Monday:
    Sea swim. Dead calm this week, but the water was filthy. Am never happy :) stop start swimming as usual. Felt like I didnt work very hard, but got in and did a bit at least. Did an easy 5k run, again going easy on myself, I could have done 10k :)

Tuesday:
    40 mins on bike, indoors. Easy pace. This will not help at all with the hills on Saturday....

Wednesday:
    Physio, bit of a niggle in the knee, which is worse today, Thursday...:rolleyes:

Thursday
    25min run. 3 or so miles, never thought of the Garmin. Felt bloody awful, but that could just be the usual pre race 'I cant do it' thing kicking in.

ROAR :)
    My second ever adventure race. Somehow, I thought that because Id done one already, this would be easier. I should have realised that the guys who create these races dont do easy. Shorter it may have been, but good god it was as hard as WAR.
    Roar began with a 300m run to the kayaks. I had asked another very strong girl to pair with me for the boat, but even staying with her on the initial sprint took it out of me. I went in front in the kayak, letting her steer, and we went hell for leather. My split for that stage was 19.48, I think we did good. I let the other girl sprint off then, I was pooped and couldnt stay with her! Good start to the race for both of us tho.
    Onto the bike and my weakness showed. I lost a lot of places, but felt good, no cramping, and began the first run strong. The uphill drag took it out of me, and I walked a bit, but ran down from the dibbing point.

The beach run was heavy goin, I walked for short sections, but once coming back I ran it all. Lost a few mins getting water, then back onto the bike, which felt like a rest at first. But wow, what a hellish ride. Nice and gentle first, but the last few kms were a horrible, horrible climb. Got off once but it was as hard to walk so climbed back on and suffered it. Was dead on my feet beginning the next run, which started downhill. Grand, says I. But it was downhill with no trail, just bog and rock and heather. I couldnt run. The uphill stage was a slow slog too. I only ran once over the crest with T3 in sight. And even that was technical enough for a road runner like me :)The final bike section started downhill but on a bonebreaking rough surface, which was lethal and shook me and my bike to bits. Was praying not to puncture there. I was pretty tired, but pushed it as much as I could for the final bike. Even though the hills really sapped my strength and I was very slow. I really found it harder than I expected. Got to the finish, ready to throw up, in a time of 4h 46. My kayak partner was a half hour ahead of me, which just makes me want to train harder for the next one. I hate bein so far back in the pack. Am truly addicted now. Roll on the next AR!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thats Tough Guys, WAR and ROAR dusted off in the first half of the year. You put us all to shame Oryx. You are some woman. Well done on the latest adventure, great to see it whet your appetite like that :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's some pretty savage going there, nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Holy cow, that's tough going. 4.5 hrs plus is a fair slog.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Im not happy with that time. :) But it does show youve got to have the training miles done on the bike, and I just dont have enough yet. But Ill get there. These races are great for improving my skill on the bike at least. :)

Advertisement