Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sunday:
    30 min run and boy was it cold. My fingers hurt from cold most of the way. Still, was a nice run. Just went at a handy pace. Dont know distance. Then 60 lengths of pool. At first it was the usual stop start choke and flounder. And then for some reason i had a eureka moment and it all began to work. The last 20 lengths were more relaxed with shorter breaks, i just slowed the movement and it seemed to flow. At times i was taking the breaths without having to count or think. :) progress, at last.

Monday:
    yet another run. 6.75 miles, slippy as hell. At one point the road was a proper ice rink, I must have been funny to watch, like something off oops tv. After the run did two hard hill sprints on a very rough and icy path. Good practice for tg. Total time out 73 mins.

Have had a cold on me since tuesday, which wasnt bad but for some reason wiped out my energy. All i wanted to do was sleep. That combined with Christmas means I have had an unprecedented 4 rest days. God. Even today was technically a no training day. But did a charity swim in the sea. :)
    Swim was bloody cold, and had doubts beforehand whether Id do it properly. But had my friends doin it too, so we encouraged each other. I got in fast, got down and actually swam. Stayed in a good while too, and managed to put my head under. :) was great fun. Skin was burning when I got out and the cold didnt register fully till i was getting dried. I recommend it to anyone, its a blast. That and a short run were my only exercise today tho. Will have to start in earnest again tomorrow.

Sunday:
    Early morning run. 5 miles, 44 mins. Was hard. I could feel it in my legs a lot, esp on the hills. Lovely day tho, blue skies and sunshine, which is really great to get out in.

Monday:
    Bike turbo session. 5 mins warm up. 15 mins 150hr, 10 mins 160hr, 6 mins trying to get to 170hr, only managed 167. Think clip pedals will help with that. Followed that with core work and stretches. Good, but needs a lot more work. :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Went ice skating compliments of boards today. :) dont know if it counts as training tho.
    For actual training, did 10 min warm up on bike, then a selection of pushups, planks, weights, and stretches. Not a hard evening, but good enough for a lite session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I felt a bit nuts running up a mountain stephens day but as for taking a dip in the sea with no wetsuit at this time of year..... :eek:

You are a tough girl thats for sure

Tough, or stupid, I'm not sure. :) ..thanks MCOS.

Thursday:
    10.75k road run. Hilly. Windy. Cold. Ideal training conditions, then. Quads were tired and achey. Slow time, 57 mins.. wtf? Feel like I'm going backwards instead of improving sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 callie35

You're my hero! I wonder if i'll ever even reach half your level...the running in the rain lark doesn't grab me to be honest nor being drenched by mucky quarry lorries with cheeky drivers aiming for the puddles! That and dodging the renowned Wexford potholes hmmmmph!! Contemplating hitting Carrigbyrne once our fluffy white blanket clears...

Go for it Callie. Get addicted like the rest of us. Running in the rain is mostly fun, once your out and warmed up. Mysport 10k.. Like Nike say. Just Do It. :)

• Advertisement

Friday: New years day

Bike session. Five minute warm up. Fifteen mins up to 150bpm. Ten mins up to 160bpm. Five mins up to 170bpm. Seven minute cool down.

Later did half hour of stretches.

Saturday:
    not much by way of training today. Just went out for a half hour, did a short hill sprint in the snow, then meandered over ditches and bracken in a vain attempt to find a xc route. Too icy to even attempt a run. Not a proper trainin day, but fun.

Sunday:
    Again, too much frost underfoot to get out and run. Did an hour long kb/strength session. 3 sets of deadlifts, squats, single and double swings, clean and press, lunges, bicep curls, bench press, crunches, planks, pushups and stretches, paying particular attention to my shoulders. And a few over moves i cant name as well. Back to cardio and hopefully a swim tomorrow!

Monday:
    Hmm. Hell of a day. Decided to swim today, but cos haven run much, went out for about 25 mins beforehand. Boy it was cold at first. But enjoyable, if slow. Then into the pool. Didnt count lengths but 30 pretty constant minutes working on technique. Slowed everything and worked on being smooth and managing my breath better. Felt good.

Was tired when i got home, looking forward to sitting on my bum. I get a cal asking me to an informal kb session. So did that too. Wasnt madly paced, but intense as weights were heavier than i usually do. And i was still sore from yesterday. Glad i did it tho, but will have to go easy tomorrow. Bet it will be hard to even walk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Was catching up with your log the other day and it was enough to encourage me back on the turbo in the (freezing) kids playhouse...

Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Mysport 10k is on the 14th Feb, right? Jaysus that's close. Wonder if I can beat myself into pb shape in 5 weeks. Actually, anything under 50 mins would be great. Are you setting yourself a goal for this one?

No. My running has slowed, and I am trying to get into bike and swim, so i think trying to hit a pb is too much pressure. Ill just go my best on the day. It will only be 2 weeks after tg so Ill be still wrecked anyway. What pb are you aiming to beat?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

My 10k pb is from the summer in Kilmore and was 47:07. I think that was in august though so I was putting plenty of miles for the marathon. I'd be delighted to duck in under 50 I think.

Winter Duathlon Series 17th January
    Ruled out as its too soon, bikewise.
    Away 22nd -25th Jan
    Tough Guy 2010 31st Jan *entered
    My Sport 10k 14th Feb *entered
    Winter Duathlon Series 28th Feb *not registered yet
    Away 5-9th March
    Ballycotton 10 March 21st *entered and wow. got in.
    Winter Duathlon Series March 28th *not registered yet
    Wicklow Adventure Race 17th April *entered
    *Wexford Half Marathon 2 May *not registered yet
    *DCM 2010 25th October *not registered yet

OI wrote: »
    My 10k pb is from the summer in Kilmore and was 47:07. I think that was in august though so I was putting plenty of miles for the marathon. I'd be delighted to duck in under 50 I think.
    Have faith. Your body will remember and pick it up again. Will see ya at the finish as you get your pb (ha, if Im not behind you, that is)

Tuesday:
    Light bit of training, still stiff from yesterday. Rowing machine, bike and core work. Easy peasy :)

Wednesday:
    Rest. Had physio today. It hurt.

Thursday:
    Snowed in at home. Just did 35 mins on treadmill. With two hard sprints at the end. Kept an eye on hr, averaged 160 or so.

Friday:
    another 35 mins on tready, no sprints. Not much but really had to force myself to do that. Cabin fever doesnt suit me. :)
    Its my birthday today and woo hoo got a garmin. Big surprise! Cant wait to try it out.

• Advertisement

Saturday:
    Did a half hour of kb weights, all the usual stuff. Managed the clean and press 12kg no bother. Even last week it was hard and there was a time an eight was hard.. Looks like I will maybe get to 16 in this seasons classes. Heres hoping! Did 20 mins on bike afterwards but quads were burning from doing squats. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A day late but happy birthday Oryx. A garmin!!!!! I think you had told me that was on the way a few weeks ago, enjoy it, I love mine!

Thanks catweasle. M.boards mean i cant thank you normally. :) yeah if i could only be rid of the snow and go for a proper run now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Belated happy birthday Oryx. We're the same age for a couple of weeks :cool: I'll blame that extra year for the fact that I'll never be as fit or fast as you!

Littlebug 18 months ago I couldnt run. :) And I still dont feel all that fit in a lot of ways.. Never happy! Am always so aware that any of us are only three weeks away from being a non runner. :) so gotta keep at it!

Sunday:
    Out for a snowy run. Snow made it heavier goin but in terms of grip was better than I thought. My xc shoes are finally earning their keep. And now I have oh so accurate stats. :) 6.63 miles in a slow (sometimes walking over ice) 1.07. But today was more about getting out than time.. Did 20 mins of hill climbs after, bringing me up to 8 miles. And I wasnt cold, base layers and wool socks are the biz. I did get people staring at the crazy woman tho. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Oryx wrote: »
    Littlebug 18 months ago I couldnt run. :)And I still dont feel all that fit in a lot of ways.. Never happy! Am always so aware that any of us are only three weeks away from being a non runner. :) so gotta keep at it!

This is a common trend with everyone. This sport has a continual moving finish line. Person who completes marathon in 4.05 wants to break 4 just as much as a person running 3.10 wanting to break 3 no matter what level you are there is always someone better that you strive to get to there level i think that is a good thing because once a person becomes content with there fitness levels they are no longer pushing for improvement.
    As long as we continue to push beyond are personal levels an athlete should be commended so Littlebug keep it up and you will suprise yourself with yo0ur improvement

Yup littlebug, keep going, you cant compare yourself with anyone else as we all work within our own time constraints and physiology! ..unless youre just using it for motivation, of course, which I do all the time with everyone elses logs here!

Monday:
    Circuits and kettlebells. Circuits were grand, no big issues except the 10kg medicine ball squats went on a bit. :) Pushups, burpees, shuttleruns, squats, military lift, skipping, ab work x2. 3 sets with an extended warm up before it. Kb class was long, 45mins instead of 30. We did longer reps than usual, 16 or 17 of each move, which is draining once you get into the teens. Instructor did say he was moving up a level though, and it seems like he is. Have made a promise to clean and press 16kgs on the 16th March. Holy cow thats not far away, will have to work hard on these puny arms.

19 days to Tough Guy. But at least its not snowing. For now.

Tuesday:
    Light bit of biking, stretches and some core. Yet again a not very good session.

Wednesday:
    Rest. Had physio today. I was begging for it to end, and he left visible bruises. Sometimes you wonder if its worth it, but trying to be rid of the risk of cramping for tg.

Pretty poor week so far, and Im stuck for time today as well. But got my pedals and shoes, so can clip to the pedals. Will take a LOT of practice on the turbo before I go on the road like that, am guaranteed to fall off quite a bit with these yokes.

Last night I tried to get a run in before an evening out. Was 16 mins into a run, properly sweating, when I realised my lift had arrived early. Cue the fastest change anyone ever saw bar superman.

So I went out last night with the usual merriment. (Thanks Callie and congratulations, girl!) This morning I tried to make up for last night and did 5k on the tready, 27 mins. Then ten mins on the bike just to mix it up a bit. Boy did I sweat, I think alcohol in your system does that!

Hope to do weights later tonight but for some reason my time is being eaten up by normal life much more than usual this last few weeks.

• Advertisement

No weights last night but did finally put up my chin bar and did a few (very few) of those.

Saturday:
    4 mile run, my usual short route. 32 mins on the dot. Fastest time in a very long while. Av pace was 7.55. Garmin really helps as you can see your pace time all the time and you know if you need to pick it up. Was hard tho, physically just below 'I need to puke' pace. Which i must try next time :)

Advertisement