Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The launch are neutral, and pretty flat. But they suit me well. As for it all goin wrong, you just need to tell yourself that rest break is over, and begin again. :) It is easy to let it slide and get out of the habit, but give it a hard push for a week and youll start to regain!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oryx wrote: »
    10.75k, 56 mins. God but Im slow these days.
    You're not slow by any stretch of the imagination! :eek:

Saturday:
    Was out last night for a meal. God but its hard to get up and run after. Out for half eight, did 4 miles, bang on 33 mins. At least the times are consistent for the last few weeks, but in spite of the encouragement above :) I do want to pick up pace. Been trying out some chi running advice I got from people who did the course I missed. The aim is to make running more comfortable, easier, and therefore faster. No change yet but I live in hope.

Sunday:

Out before nine in the horrible weather for a run. Very cold to begin with. Did approx 4 miles, took just over a half hour. Then into the pool for 30 lengths. They are getting easier, but was feeling tired and didnt want to push it too much.

Monday:
    ...is circuits day. Good class, seemed to work the arms a lot. New kb move, swinging around one leg then snatching, gym ball crunches, squats with military press 10kg, more situps, a bunny hop/squat jump move, shuttle runs, sit ups with ball throw, side to side on a step, military press 12kg, skipping.

Then kb class which was the usual moves but endurance sets. Very hard once you go past 12 reps of anything. Good tho, really enjoyed it. Mostly stuck with 12s and 16s, only dropping to eights for the last set of jerks. Arms were gone wobbly :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Rest.

Wednesday:
    9.75k loop, with the second half very uphill. In the pelting rain as usual, what fun. 51 mins. Trying hard to improve my running technique by leaning forward rather than being too upright, and tightening my core. Im still at the 'have to think about it to do it stage'.

Winter Duathlon Series 17th January *not registered yet
    Away 22nd -25th Jan
    Tough Guy 2010 31st Jan *entered
    My Sport 10k 14th Feb *entered
    Winter Duathlon Series 28th Feb *not registered yet
    Away 5-9th March
    Ballycotton 10 March 21st *entry sent and pending.
    Winter Duathlon Series March 28th *not registered yet
    Wicklow Adventure Race 17th April *entered
    *Wexford Half Marathon 2 May *not registered yet
    *DCM 2010 25th October *not registered yet

Holy sh!t spring is getting busy.

My new baby has arrived, along with a tacx turbo, but £299 ex hire. Im a happy bunny today. :D

Friday:
    Out in the evening for a short run. 28/29 minutes, so between 3 and 4 miles. Was bloody horrible, rain and wind, but not cold once you got going. Did an out and back, not realising the wind was with me on the way out, so when I turned and got it in the face I thought up lots of new swear words. :)

Saturday:
    Onto my bike for the first time, indoors, with the turbo. No computer today, so dont know pace, cadence etc. Did half and hour, and was sweating and out of breath by the end. Quads really felt it, and even now I know my legs did that today.

And boy, dont bike saddles hurt? Went and bought a gel cover today, cos otherwise I wont be able to use the bike at all. I wonder how long it takes to *ahem* toughen up in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

And boy, dont bike saddles hurt?
    They do. Good pair of bib shorts makes a big difference. (Bib tights for outdoors this time of year). Can be expensive but well worth making sure you've a good fit with good padding.

• Advertisement

jlang wrote: »
    They do. Good pair of bib shorts makes a big difference. (Bib tights for outdoors this time of year). Can be expensive but well worth making sure you've a good fit with good padding.
    Yeah, the girl in the cycle shop said similar, but I had enough expense this week. Will have to invest soon tho.

Sunday:
    Mornin run on main road, 30 mins, not sure of distance. Very heavy rain which is getting to be normal. Sigh. Then into the pool, 40 lengths. My technique is not improving but my stamina really is. Ill master the breathing one of these days. I hope!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm trying to improve the swimming and the like aswell to try and get a few tris in next summer, might tri a few duathlons in 2010 aswell but thats if I can fit them in with my race schedule. Like the bike looks a real bargain.

Monday:
    Busy day, and I was tired. Proper weary. :) Still, got out to circuits, a hard class. Gym ball situps, weighted ball throw, 10kg squats or using a bar, pressups, shuttles, situps using weighted ball throw, stiff leg dead lifts 12kg, skipping, kb exercise I cant name, you bring the kb around one leg and then press above your head. :confused: I was glad to see everyone looked as tired as I felt after four rounds with only one one minute break.

Then the kb class which was supersets. Pretty hard, but doable, cos the reps were 6 of each move and two moves per set, 3 of each set. I think 5 supersets. The longer rep sets done individually last week were much harder.

Need to do more weights. Arms are getting weaker, I notice it on pressups. But its hard to fit it all in per week!

Tuesday:
    Girlie Weight Night. Now with added cardio.

Did 30 mins on the bike, keeping the cadence at 85-90 and flicking through the gears. My mate was running on the tm beside me which was kind of funny. Didnt make it super hard on myself.... just enough to break a sweat and get breathin hard. No hrm yet, so cant do proper turbo sets. So am going by how it feels. Next time hope to get my head down and do an hour, Pink and the Foo Fighters will have to help.

Did stretching, a few sets of pressups and some kb weights afterwards. Nice session.

Just had a session of physio. First since dcm. Went well, if painfully, and I do feel better for it. Will keep going every week or two to preempt any possible tg problems. :)

Thursday:

Forgot my kit today so no run after work. It was 9.30 by the time I got to do anything. Did a 40 min session on the bike, which I enjoyed. Must not be doing it right.:) Kept cadence at 85-90 again.

Friday:
    Out in the dark for a run, felt lovely, didnt give a toss about pace... until I turned to come back, and yet again faced into a strong wind. :D I keep doing this. Still, nice, easy run. Ha, I really need to start making this hard again. 4.6 miles 44 mins.

Saturday:
    No run this morning cos I didnt really fancy it, as Ill be out tomorrow again. So did a 45 min kettlebell session, along with some crunches. Deadlift, 20 kg swing, one arm swing, squats 20kg, clean and press, two arm row, bench press, bicep curls. Two sets, various reps 6-10 depending on move.

Sunday:
    went out for a run, will have to check distance, but about 50 mins. Then into pool, 46 lengths. Breathing was terrible for most of it, only seemed to get it right for the last ten or so. But felt grand in terms of stamina, breaks are getting shorter and lengths are getting faster. Still not a bit pretty though.

Monday:
    Circuits christmas party. Half an hour of hard cardio.. kettle bells, bunny hops, weights and pushups.. To the sound of christmas music.. Then hot fruit punch, yule log and mince pies. Our instructor laid it all on as a thank you, how nice is that? :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Bike session. 40 mins, varying gears, keeping cadence at 80-90 (every time I took my eyes off it I slowed down!) Sweaty and nice. Must work up to an hour, its not the pedalling that stops me, its the bloody seat.

Got a hrm today, so it gets harder from now on.

Just thought Id mention that I sometimes see mention of exercise terms here such as turkish getups, clean & press, snatch, deadlift, pmp, lsr... all of that. After a year now know what they all are, but still every week a new one crops up I dont know. Like burpee.

Thank you, youtube for showing me that I do indeed know what burpees are, Ive been doing them unnamed for the last year, and yes, they are totally the work of the devil.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thank you, youtube for showing me that I do indeed know what burpees are, Ive been doing them unnamed for the last year, and yes, they are totally the work of the devil.
    Burpees are the spawn of Satan himself. My taekwondo instructors used to love making us do them, particularly when you were knackered after a hard sparring session...

Burpees are the spawn of Satan himself. My taekwondo instructors used to love making us do them, particularly when you were knackered after a hard sparring session...
    Probably called burpees cos they make you want to throw up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A new bike, turbo trainer and now a HRM just arrived, money is beginning to build up Oryx, its not a cheap sport. What hrm did you go for??

I am afraid Flippers, Pull Bouy, cycle computer will be next on the list??

Life was a lot cheaper when it was just the kettle bell

catweazle wrote: »
    A new bike, turbo trainer and now a HRM just arrived, money is beginning to build up Oryx, its not a cheap sport. What hrm did you go for??

I am afraid Flippers, Pull Bouy, cycle computer will be next on the list??

Life was a lot cheaper when it was just the kettle bell
    Ha, indeed. Dont forget shoes, clip pedals, tri shorts and more running shoes.... Money I used to spend on high heels and alcohol... Pretty maxed out now!

Got the cycle comp, and the hrm was an early xmas pressie. Edit, not sure of the brand, not expensive (I hope!)

Wednesday:
    Out for an evening run. Was hungry so ate quarter of a powerbar before heading off. Yum. Seems to have done the trick, 5 miles (or just shy of), 41 mins. Its funny how some days you can just run easy and other days its so much harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Just reading through your log oryx, its makes good reading. Fair play for being able to cover off so many disciplines and the weights / cross training as well. I am a fan of the brooks launch as well, the colours aren't for the faint hearted though. :)

asimonov wrote: »
    Just reading through your log oryx, its makes good reading. Fair play for being able to cover off so many disciplines and the weights / cross training as well. I am a fan of the brooks launch as well, the colours aren't for the faint hearted though. :)
    Ive never had so many compliments on a pair of shoes. Round here they seem to love luminous yellow with purple laces. Must be cos were yellowbellies. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. It helps to know Im somewhat on track.

• Advertisement

Friday:
    30 mins on bike with hrm. (Started at half ten at night, hence the short session) Cadence 85-90 av hr 141. By this reckoning I need to work at a higher hr, but dont know my max. Few pushups and crunches to finish.

Saturday:
    Early morning run. Hat and gloves and longs all at the same time, first time its been this cold. But gorgeous. Love this weather. 34 mins, 4 miles.

Advertisement