Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Monday:
    Jeez was tired today. My quads ached all day. Circuits did not sound like a good idea. But went anyway. Found myself crouching to rest during every break... I musta been tired! Hard enough session, I found the shuttle runs toughest, I suppose cos legs/cardio was what I used most Sunday.
    Four rounds of:
    Military press 8kg
    Plank 30 secs
    Some kind of angle move with weight. :confused:
    Whipping very heavy ropes...
    Side to side on a step
    Crunches
    Skipping
    KB swings 12kg
    Shuttle runs.

Kettlebells afterwards I really had to tough out. Squats and deadlifts very hard, cos my legs were sore and weak. But did it. Felt like Id been wrung out after, it took a lot out of me. Went lighter on weights on most moves.
    Bent leg deadlift 3 x20 12kg
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x20 16kg
    Swings 3x 12/15/20 16kg
    Squats 3x 16 12kg
    Military press 3x 12 12kg
    Bench press 3x 12 12kg
    Get ups, 2 each side 8kg.
    Think thats everything....

A relaxing girlie weight night, not much done. Ten uninspired minutes on the bike, then a series of crunches, planks, pushups, chins and stretches. Everything hurts, from my knees to my shoulders today. Tis a strange world, when you spend half the week doing painful training and the other half painful recovery....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Just catching up with your log now Oryx. Well bloody done on your F35 win! Fabulous running!

Thursday:
    Did a 4.68 mile run in 39 mins. God Im precise these days.. time included two shoelace tying stops. :-) Not too concerned about it, it felt hard anyway, and calves are very stiff since. Think I may go for physio again soon!

Saturday:
    5 miles exactly, 42 mins. Was hilly and I struggled for the first while, so happy with that. Did 20 mins on turbo when I came back, felt fine.

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    Four mile 'undulating' run, 32 mins. Followed by 3.36 mile easy run with a friend who is new to running. 38 mins. (Thanks Callie)
    Then followed by an hour or so in the pool. Didnt count the lengths, but swam consistently in my slow way, so reckon I did a good few.

Monday:
    No circuits cos Im a fool who forgot the time it was on at. (It was changed, Im not that dumb...) But did a kb session that was fun, including a one handed snatch of a 15kg weight bar (6ft long). I thought Id take someones eye out with it. :) Found doing pushups after chins and bench press agonisingly hard. Really had to push it to stay going.

Tuesday:
    Girlie night. Did turbo, but kept getting interrupted and my hrm is gone on the blink. So worked for 45 mins, but dont know how hard, really. Kept cadence at 90 or so, and flicked thru a few gears, but no idea how my hr was. Gonna have to get the monitor sorted. Did chin ups and pushups after.

Wednesday:
    Physio for a few niggles.

Thursday:
    55 mins on turbo. 5 warm up. 10 <130, 10 <140, 10 <150. 10 mins goin up thru harder gears 1 min per gear, roughly. Hr maxed at 155. 5 min cool down.

Friday:
    Started at ten o clock while watching American Idol. (which was useless, by the way) 3 sets of:
    kb swings 20kg x10,
    deadlifts 20kg x10,
    squats 20kg x8,
    military press 12kg x10,
    obliques 12kg x10 each side,
    bicep curl 12kg x10,
    Pushups x10
    Crunches x50
    1 minute plank.
    Took about an hour, cos once I get to the floor to do pushups and stuff, I get lazy!

Saturday:
    Out at 8am for a run, this is the first morning you could feel a touch of spring, it wasnt cold enough to make you gasp. :) Did 4.9 miles in 41.11. Not superfantastic stuff, but compared to last week I felt a zillion times better, though for some reason Im getting shocking pain in my calves when I run or cycle, hits once I stop, and lasts for a few minutes. Must be lactic acid or something.

Sunday:
    Out with a friend who runs slightly slower than me, so a lovely relaxed run, 6 miles 59 mins. Its nice sometimes to just do a relaxed sociable jog. :) then did 40 something lengths of the pool, with a 5 second break between lengths. 20m is taking about 35 seconds so thats my mark to improve on. Getting more relaxed swimming all the time.

Monday:
    Circuits, which were: Plank, slow squat/star jump thingys, whipping a heavy rope (cue many rude jokes), crunches, skipping, military press, burpees, shuttle runs, kb swings. x3. Easy peasy... cmon Olly, make us work harder!

Followed by kettlebells which was hell in comparison. 3 sets of 20 kb swings, 16kg. Single arm swings 3x 16/20 12kg, Alternating swings 3x ?reps 12kg. Snatches 12kg, 3x 12. Clean & press, 3x 12? 12kg. Then a combo of single and double swings, snatches and clean & press, about 10-15 of each, done in one set, fast. Twice. Thought my arms would fall off. But good for ya, and no aches today...yet.

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Half hearted bike session, legs very achey. Few kb weights afterwards. But this week, the body is just generally tired. :) I still havent had the bike out on the road, and to be honest Im beginning to panic. Away this weekend and its just a month to WAR. I think this is going to be one of those things where I fall flat on my face, realistically facing a dnf. Damn!

Friday:
    Two rest days in a row this week, god almighty whats happening to me? But in spite of being away right now got out for a 40 min run, at a fairly steady pace.

Sunday:
    Another run, about 70mins this time, but as I was away I dont know the distance and cant mapmyrun it cos I dont really know the route! Somewhere around eight and a half miles I reckon.

Back home and need to get into the swing of things again.....

Tuesday:
    Barely trained at all, just a spin on the turbo.

Wednesday:
    Didnt train at all, life got in the way.

Thursday:
    30mins on turbo at the crack of dawn and....
    ...a 33 min run. 4.25 miles. Hard!

Friday:
    Out on my bike finally. And jesus it was scary. I have a looooong way to go to even get competent let alone strong. Attempting WAR is looking loonier by the minute. 8 miles 40 mins, with the home 4 miles all uphill. Thats what I get for living in a house with a nice view....

Will need to get out everyday to have a hope on the 17th.

Saturday:
    Longish run. 9.4 miles. About 80 mins. Hardest bit was the first few miles. After that my legs were tired but was into a steady jog. Last four miles pretty much all uphill so pace dropped from around 8mm to 9mm.
    Have also started on protein shakes to try and cure the carb and chocolate cravings I been having lately. :)

....turns out Protein shakes make me feel ill. But at least I dont crave chocolate!

Wondering if entering TriAthy in June would be nutz. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have never raced it but I hear the swim in Athy is easier than a lot of the tris as it is downstream

catweazle wrote: »
    I have never raced it but I hear the swim in Athy is easier than a lot of the tris as it is downstream
    That would be good as my swimming is still pretty poor. But would hope that by June Ill have made a bit more progress, and I tend to work well when I give myself crazy targets to hit. :) Does it fill quick do you know?

Sunday:
    Out on my bike for the second time. Did 30 miles, 2h 28mins. Not fast but dont care, I loved it. Apart from my front gear getting stuck, and the gears in general needing a tweak. Really glad I got out its done me good to do the distance. What a nice way to start mothers day. Lie ins are overrated :)

Got my bike gears sorted by a friend, thanks a mil, Tom! So all should be good next time out. He also showed me how NOT to stretch the cables, ahem!!

Monday:
    Circuits. Rowing/bunnyhops/weights on one station, weighted ball throw, burpees, kb swings, shuttle runs, military press, skipping, rope whips, and a weight exercise I cant name. Time per station varied, 5 circuits. Tough as you do it, but well balanced so you can keep going.

Then kb class which was killer. 3 x get ups, each side. 8kg. Clean & press, swings, bent leg deadlift, clean & press, and straight leg deadlift (which I did with 20kg woo hoo) mostly used 12s or 16s. Then a set of everything put together. Tough as fcuk.

I had said I would clean and press 16kg kb by the 16th, but hadnt trained at all for it. After the class, instructor said to give it a go anyway, and to my great surprise, I managed it, even with my left arm tho twas wobbly.. I realise a lot of achieving weights like this comes from inside your head, youve got to almost fight with it, or get angry, to lift it. Which I find great, if a bit mad. :D

• Advertisement

Paddys day:
    Only did some stretches and stuff last night, so got out for a five mile run this morning. 42 mins. Not fast. But legs were heavy. Later in the day did six miles on the bike not as training, just as anti wobble practice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Best of luck in Ballycotton Oryx!!
    I'll be keeping my eyes open for another F35 victory :D

DustyBin wrote: »
    Best of luck in Ballycotton Oryx!!
    I'll be keeping my eyes open for another F35 victory :D
    In my dreams. :D Havent run 10 miles in about as many months, and I have a feeling them F35 wimmins in Cork will be a bit faster than me!

Well, after a few days of feeling icky and thinking I couldnt run this, I went ahead and did it anyway. And it turned out to be a fun day.

Got there really early, because I heard that the roads got closed and it could be a nightmare if youre late. Straight away I was into the atmosphere. You ever asked for directions in Cork? Not like asking anywhere else, rather than telling you about what roads and signs to take, you get told about peoples houses and to turn at the field with the corn in... Weird but brilliant. From the start, the friendliness was overwhelming, and the village itself is quaint and beautiful. And the summer like weather helped too.

Nervous at the start line, cos all around were people who looked like they could really run. Also had heard about 'the hill' at mile 8, and was hoping it would go alright, had no confidence in the legs. Downhill from the start for about 3 miles felt lovely, esp with a car stereo blasting Black Eyed Peas at mile 3. Then the route after that was lovely, mostly flat, only a little wind. Plenty of water just when you need it. My quads were hurting from very early on, pretty much within the first mile, but I ignored it as much as I could. Initial pace was 7.3mm to 7.5mm, but at mile five I decided to pull it back as my legs were tired and I knew the tough bit was to come. Still seemed to manage to run just at the 8mm pace. The hill when I got to it was ok, just the usual thing of head down, concentrate on the ten feet in front of you, and for gods sake dont look at what you still have to run up or youll quit... Lots of people around me struggled including one guy who went 'ah jesus' as I passed him. Sorry, man. :D

The last mile and a half were pretty much all an uphill drag, but ok cos you know your nearly home. Music and the crowds help too, but it was still tough to get past each 200m marker, they seemed endless. Was dreaming of a nice glass of cider all the way along the village. Musta been the sun that did it. :)

Finished in a chip time of 78.04, (clock 79.09) which is not a pb, but given the week I had, Im really happy with.

Definitely a race I want to do again. Friendly, well organised, not too many frills (or irritations) and you get a mug for finishing. Course I know the sun cant be guaranteed, but still, I can see why this is so popular every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done Oryx, that was a great run you had!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done. Good run there.

Monday 22nd:

My legs and core ache today!

Circuits. Squats 16kg, Ball throw, skipping, kb swing 12kg, Unknown weight exercise :), pushups, shuttle runs, burpees, rope whip (squat position). Just when my quads were aching anyway, I get to do a load of squat based exercises. It was hell. 3 min sets non stop of the above. 5 or 6 sets, I think. Felt like more.

Kb class after was another circuit, deadlift, shoulder press, cleans, squat (gaaaahhh!), swing, straightleg deadlift, get ups. My legs have never been more painful during a session, I simply couldnt squat my usual weight, and had to stick to 12s to manage a full set, and even at that my form was off. (We did four sets of this circuit)

Had a protein shake once I got home to try and help repair the poor old legs. :)

Today, Tuesday, I ache worse than I think I ever have from training. Im walking around like a granny, the doms is so bad. And I think thats good, cos next event is WAR, which Ill need quads of iron for. :D

Tuesday was a well needed rest day.

Wednesday:
    35 mins on turbo. (Had intended getting out but was raining heavily at the time) then did a two and a bit mile run, some of it offroad, uphill. My hr reached 181 on that bit. :) Just shy of an hour all in, and my legs are sore again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Mind those legs... jeez squats, burpees , shuttle runs etc.. the day after a 10mile race yikes! You are made of tough stuff Oryx. Nice account of the race, always smile at your reports and well done on both the performance and living it as you did. :)

• Advertisement

Mind those legs... jeez squats, burpees , shuttle runs etc.. the day after a 10mile race yikes! You are made of tough stuff Oryx. Nice account of the race, always smile at your reports and well done on both the performance and living it as you did. :)
    Thanks for the support. Im not tough, just stupid. :) I will have to mind the legs alright, can feel the strain in them. Lots of foam rolling needed!

Now, roll on WAR I suppose.... I just checked and thank god I chose the beginner squad, couldnt remember!

Advertisement