Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 2 To Include No Dedicated Servers / PunkBuster / Mod's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Very nice article there, but for some reason it hasn't discouraged me from buying the game, i just have my mind set on having it, since i have wanted it for so long and i have to try make this game work for my clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Another thought just occured to me, since there is no console, that means you won't be able to play in windowed mode anymore.

Which SUCKS!

I always play games in windowed mode, since it allows to switch between the game and programs easily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Look, face it PC gamers, we're getting screwed; don't buy this game, not even for the SP campaign. Cos it's still rewarding IW for their actions, even if you take huff and don't play multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Wish I had thought of this thread last night when writing this ditty.

Console gamers get the usual experience while PC gamers get ruined. Activision are just asking for their game to be hacked, seeded (for torrents) and "fixed" by a community of angry gamers.

Ultimately everyone wants to play it, but without the massive sacrifices asked of them (on PC). At least a cracked version will last as long as Battlefield BC2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

ffs i cant stand no dedicated servers on the ps3 and xbox.....just because you cant even choose a map you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Wish I had thought of this thread last night when writing this ditty.

Console gamers get the usual experience while PC gamers get ruined. Activision are just asking for their game to be hacked, seeded (for torrents) and "fixed" by a community of angry gamers.

Ultimately everyone wants to play it, but without the massive sacrifices asked of them (on PC). At least a cracked version will last as long as Battlefield BC2 :)
    I loved the article right up to rhis: "Most annoyingly, and the worst reason on this list? The fact that no matter what I do, say, try or believe – you, me and everyone else will end up buying this game either way."

No way! And I hope the majority of gamers will be like me! DON'T BUY IT! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Just seen the latest launch trailer and the single player looks like its going to be lethal. If only they didnt feck the multiplayer up so bad with thier stupid decisions this could have been huge for pc :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is this true? If so, i'm honestly shocked. I mean, what the **** are they thinking? I could probably put up with the lack of dedicated servers, but not this.
    After reading this, i honestly hope they just dont even bother with the pc for the next one. It's hard to imagine how they could look any worse with this.

Have they actually given any good reasons for any of the decisions they've made for the Pc version?

Kiith wrote: »
    Is this true? If so, i'm honestly shocked. I mean, what the **** are they thinking? I could probably put up with the lack of dedicated servers, but not this.

Once you go down the P2P client hosted route of online gaming, 9v9 is probably the max you could hope for before your internet bandwidth becomes a bottleneck.
    We wont know what the ping times will be like until we dive into this sh1thole next week.
    From what I can tell there are no genuine reasons to go P2P instead of dedicated servers.
    I think Activision are pulling all the strings here. If a developer cannot answer questions openly and freely then there is something not right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

9V9 is plenty on existing cod maps imo.
    If MW2 maps are of similar scale then i see no issue at all with 9v9.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's always been a piece of piss to find a server in games. They've always had server filters and they work fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It all comes down to the bottom line really - no dedicated servers mean IW control exactly what everyone plays, so say hello to DLC. Hell I wouldn't be suprised if they started charging a subscription fee like WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

that would be a dark day, subscription fee to play a tdm

Subscription is only a good idea when you can get the game for a pittance. Having to pay €60 and then €10 a month subs is criminal.

Never stopped them before I suppose.

Everything that comes out of Activision/IW's mouth is pure bullcr@p. "Better gaming experience" my hole! It will be useless and I hope nobody buys this game on the PC. And if people are stupid enough to buy it I hope they regret it immensely when they see how useless its going to be online. :mad:
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    It all comes down to the bottom line really - no dedicated servers mean IW control exactly what everyone plays, so say hello to DLC. Hell I wouldn't be suprised if they started charging a subscription fee like WoW.
    That's exactly where we're heading... :mad:

Kiith wrote: »
    Have they actually given any good reasons for any of the decisions they've made for the Pc version?
    Yes, they have: all these useless decidions were taken to "balance the game".

Dedicated servers "upset the balance"
    Leaning "upsets the balance"
    Command Line "upsets the balance"
    Server Browser "upsets the balance"
    Mods "upset the balance"
    Good pings "upset the balance"
    PunkBuster "upsets the balance"

I think the "balance" they are referring to is the "balance sheet". Dirty rotten money-hungry bollixes! :mad:

I think the "balance" they are referring to is the "balance sheet". Dirty rotten money-hungry bollixes! :mad:

You hit the nail right between the eyes there kid

iwpcgamers.png

• Advertisement

pcmw2.png

Possibly NSFW: link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Im pretty torn at the moment about this...

I really want the game for the single player, but then again I think IW can go fúck themselves..by pirating the game I'm justifying the measures taken by IW as of late and by not buying it I dont get to play the game...

I'm confused:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

phlegms wrote: »
    Surely if the game gets pirated a crazy amount then more extreme measures than the IW net stuff will be brought in. The changes they are making seem to be precursors to more serious measures down the line..
    They could've used steam for anti-piracy and anti-cheat measures but still kept dedicated servers. They choose not to for reasons known only to them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pew pew pew!!! goes the dedicated servers.

they went out and defended everything on mw2 pc tonight. they still think everything they did is for the good of the pc game.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow... that sucks harder then a 10$ hooker.

Just something else to think of (because it doesnt matter to the Yanks), if you end up hosting a peer-2-peer server on your machine, you arent going to know that you may be blowing your cap.

Also, what happens if your ISP doesnt like p2p traffic in the future? Or perceives it as piracy and throttles your connection?

The fun and games have only just begun with this I think...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Found this thread after searching to see if anyone else thought 60 euro was a tad pricy. But this just takes the biscuit.

I thought COD4 had one of the best online experiences. You could join a game in 15 seconds, no loading screens etc.

Why they would give the middle finger to PC gamer's boggles the mind. Another games will fill the gap left by this. Where there is demand supply will follow. First COD game I will not buying sad sad sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Not that Activision and IW have done much to alleviate fans' anger, they've somehow managed to screw everyone who didn't pre-order with GameStop up in some parts of America by allowing GS stores to sell early.

More here (see comments)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Phlemgs, we don't allow advocacy of piracy here. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Phlemgs, we don't allow advocacy of piracy here. Thanks.

Didnt realise I was, sorry :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

This is truly the gheyest (I realise its not a word) thing IW could have done. Was actually looking forward to maybe clan'ing it again with MW2. I have a 360 and a PC but i'm not buying it for either! :mad:

Advertisement