Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 2 To Include No Dedicated Servers / PunkBuster / Mod's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I wish people would quit it with these videos , they are getting old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

I wish people would quit it with these videos , they are getting old.

/get a sense of humour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    /get a sense of humour?

/get a sense of boredom after seeing this video dubbed differently after each slight change in every game ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

I found this petition while I was browsing 3DGAMEMAN's videos on Youtube.
    Get Infinity Ward to review their decision not to allow fully dedicated servers for their forthcoming game release CoD:MW2. Remember that this Call of Duty was made popular by PC Gamers who have supported the series throughout.

There's already 133259 signatures (obviously more by the time you read this). So sign it :D

Here's 3DGAMEMAN's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpEfk6Qe0Xg

Link to petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Ubaroo wrote: »
    I found this petition while I was browsing 3DGAMEMAN's videos on Youtube.

There's already 133259 signatures (obviously more by the time you read this). So sign it :D

Here's 3DGAMEMAN's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpEfk6Qe0Xg

Link to petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html
    Probably would've found it a lot quicker if you had read any of the thread you're posting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

Just went ahead and signed the petition even though ill probably pick the game up on xbox.

saying that i can completely understand why you guys are so annoyed by IW's announcement. i played ET back in the day and really enjoyed the user content(new maps, skins etc...) and also the ability to go to different servers that have different settings to suit your game style.

I was actualy hoping to get back into it with MW2 but since this announcement ill be prob just sticking with the console....:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So you agree with the petition and grievences of the gaming public, but will still go ahead and financially reward IW's actions? A little case of double standards going on there.

Oh and if anyone still doubts the motivation of IW's decision:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/cod-waw-maps-net-nearly-USD70m
    "Activision has made nearly $70m just by selling map packs for Call of Duty: World at War."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

pixelburp wrote: »
    So you agree with the petition and grievences of the gaming public, but will still go ahead and financially reward IW's actions? A little case of double standards going on there.

Oh and if anyone still doubts the motivation of IW's decision:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/cod-waw-maps-net-nearly-USD70m
    "Activision has made nearly $70m just by selling map packs for Call of Duty: World at War."

jesus thats insane.
    Reports stated that Map Pack 1 sold over 1 million copies in the first week of availability, setting an Xbox Live record for the number of downloads in a week.

"Insane" is right... They'd sell their own mothers to make $5! Well I'm never buying another Activision game so there! I win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

pixelburp wrote: »

Well to be honest i dont think it is really double standards. i own both a PC and xbox and enjoy gaming on both. I feel both have merit as gaming systems. And i dont think IW removing dedicated servers would warrent me missing out on such a good game like MW2!!!

That said if i did only have a PC i wouldn't promote any IW or Activision games! They have single handly ruined COD on the PC...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

"Insane" is right... They'd sell their own mothers to make $5! Well I'm never buying another Activision game so there! I win!

thats a bit harsh.

no blur, diablo III, starcraft II?

thats a bit harsh.

no blur, diablo III, starcraft II?
    Nope. I'm a man of principals!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nope. I'm a man of principals!french

*runs*

KamiKazi wrote: »
    *runs*
    Come back here you little fecker! :mad:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ah I miss my old French class...

Anyways, any more news?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

IW is going for a marathon of fail, it's like they are trying not to sell you the game.

IW: "We are raising the price"
    PCC: "That sucks, but we'll still buy it, if it's a great game"
    IW: "Still gonna buy it eh? well you'll need to steam to run the game"
    PCC: "That sucks, but we'll still buy it, if it's a great game"
    IW: "....... No dedicated servers"
    PCC: 9092206a10323811342l.jpg
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    I reckon either CoD2 will make a comeback or CoD4 will get a little revival as the good maps from CoD6 will be used.

Ha, good idea! hopefully many things will get ported and modded over to CoD4

I really really hope that people who said they are not going to buy the game keep their word and don't cave in.

I'm not buy it, not because of some protest but simply because no server list kills the multiplayer part of it.

You will have no idea how many servers there are, how many people, what is going on out there, no overview, nothing. You will just click a button and connect somewhere..... no community. That simply does not suit me, not buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

This isn't Activision. Ever since CoD2 IW have wanted to ditch the PC platform. The PC version of MW sold 2.5 million according to NPD which doesn't take steam or digital downloads into consideration. We're talking hundreds of millions that Activision have already made on a cheap to develop console port.

IW, seemingly, have purposefully killed the PC version by removing SADS support and more than likely trying to fool the Activision execs by saying "It works on XBOXLIVE, right?! They're gonna love it too!"

I've never seen online petitions as working. I only signed it because so many gaming sites mentioned the petition in their articles. I could have signed it multiple times too due to dynamic ip so you know it's a flawed avenue. But still, PC gamers have expressed their opinion on why this game is a non-purchase so when it tanks in PC sales Bobby Kotick and his army of execs are not going to buy the piracy line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

excellent post on exactly how I feel about Activisions decision to fcuk up MW2

http://www.codboards.com/showthread.php?p=237107

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kolya

Was really looking forward to this, but now I don't know.

• Advertisement

I'm sticking to my guns! I WILL NOT buy MW2 (or any other Activision or IW game for that matter) unless they do a full 180 and enable the use of dedicated servers. End of.

Auvers wrote: »
    excellent post on exactly how I feel about Activisions decision to fcuk up MW2

http://www.codboards.com/showthread.php?p=237107
    I agree with every single word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Official system requirements from Robert Bowling (what an ass!)

System Requirements

OS: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600XT or better
    DirectX: Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 12GB of free hard drive space
    Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    Internet: Broadband connection required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet Connection required for activation

allen175 wrote: »
    Official system requirements from Robert Bowling (what an ass!)

System Requirements

OS: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600XT or better
    DirectX: Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 12GB of free hard drive space
    Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    Internet: Broadband connection required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet Connection required for activation
    AFAIC the systems requirements should be:

PS3 or Xbox. This game is not coming out on PC! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

yeah i know! but somehow it has managed to get into the top 5 sellers on steam already, so the boycott isn't looking good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

allen175 wrote: »
    yeah i know! but somehow it has managed to get into the top 5 sellers on steam already, so the boycott isn't looking good.
    Of course it's a big (pre) seller; gamers are historically one of the least motivated consumer demographics going. Full of e-petitions & righteous lolcat'ing, but no actual follow through.

Read somewhere that all version including PC are limited to 8v8.

What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wouldn't surprise me if it was especially with IW.net or whatever the fúck they call it.
    There's no way it would handle anymore than that. Lag/ping times would be atrocious.

However I spy a potential DLC coming along which could allow dedicated servers/ increase players to 32/64etc. Only thing is that ****ers will charge for it.
    It makes business sense...6 months down the road...money income is slowing on COD6...so let's say they release this DLC for it on pc.
    Voila..suddenly PC gamers will buy the game and pay extra for the DLC..potentially that's another 100,000-1million extra copies sold plus the DLC.

Berkut wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was especially with IW.net or whatever the fúck they call it.
    There's no way it would handle anymore than that. Lag/ping times would be atrocious.

However I spy a potential DLC coming along which could allow dedicated servers/ increase players to 32/64etc. Only thing is that ****ers will charge for it.
    It makes business sense...6 months down the road...money income is slowing on COD6...so let's say they release this DLC for it on pc.
    Voila..suddenly PC gamers will buy the game and pay extra for the DLC..potentially that's another 100,000-1million extra copies sold plus the DLC.

That would be a cruel, cruel joke!

Screw em and their DLCs, not buying all the extra crap, "special editions", DLCs, plastic night vision goggles, GTFO just give me the regular game with dedis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As i said in this thread i fully agree with you guys but lets not forget the casual gamer like myself.

These days im more a freelancer gamer and play on a casual basis covering many genres therefore i simply dont demand as much from my fps titles as before which is stark contrast to a few years back when i simply had more time.
    Back then i ran quite a few servers and a large community with friends,we were really into it and the whole community,dedicated server scene.
    It was great fun,i met great people and generally had a blast.

Let me just say if infinity ward had done back then what they are planning with MW2 i would be gutted so yes i fully understand the outcry from communitites who had planned to embrace MW2 with open arms.

But as a casual gamer with no COD community ties at all and a gamer who just wants to have some fragging fun i might still get MW2.
    Part of me says stick to your guns and dont buy it on pc another part of me says buy it and frag as a casual player that i now am.
    Silky smooth ping ,hit reg etc doesnt bother me at all anymore as a casual, hell i play cod 4 and cod waw on both pc and 360 so im not fussy at all nowadays, guess im getting old :D

Advertisement