Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 2 To Include No Dedicated Servers / PunkBuster / Mod's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Auvers wrote: »
    I cant believe this news :eek:

I just cancelled my preorder and txted a few mates who are also were going to cancel, I think we will have we have to rely on BF2 for a few more months until the release of Bad Company 2.

Damn you Activison :mad:

*edit*
    just signed
    "Your signature number for this petition is 89493"
    Good man! That's the spirit!

Is BF2 any good? Our clan has decided to start playing CoD2 again (and still keep playing CoD4) as there is no point buying CoD6...

But at this stage it's getting a bit repetitive. Might give BF2 a try!

Oh and what was Bad Company like? Is it a WW2 FPS where you had to guide your soldiers by giving them orders?

Over 91,000 signatures now! At least we're doing what we can! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

All of my clan members have cancelled their pre orders as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

the should at least give us a beta or demo to test out this new retarded multiplayer.

allen175 wrote: »
    the should at least give us a beta or demo to test out this new retarded multiplayer.
    But why? We know it's going to be crap already! You cannot compare a dedicated server that has straight access to the internet with 100 Meg upload to some dude in his bedroom with 1 Meg upload downloading p0rn! It just won't work... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Is BF2 any good?

its looking a bit dated but with the release of the latest patch there has been a bit of resurgence in people playing, but its still a fantastic multiplayer experience.
    Oh and what was Bad Company like?

Judge for yourself

Looks sweet! Might give that a bash alright... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

BF2 is a great game, I put hours into it back in the day. Cant wait to hear more on BF3 . . .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well, Infinity have noticed at least.

Infinity Ward Responds To 100K Strong Modern Warfare 2 PC Petition
    Bowling has reportedly issued the following response to the petition: "[It] definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it.”

He also confirmed that there will be no delay to the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, which will launch alongside the PS3 and Xbox 360 editions on November 10.

We will just have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

They may be listening:

c89846b25e18a0374b4dbc9ddbdb34b7.jpg

And possible dedicated server running:

dediserver2.jpg

edit: 2 minutes goddamnit!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update Sierra Oscar! Fingers and toes crossed!

looks interesting kamikazi, nut might not be a dedicated server, might just be them testing iwnet.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    edit: 2 minutes goddamnit!
    LOL! :D

looks interesting kamikazi, nut might not be a dedicated server, might just be them testing iwnet.
    True enough (unfortunately)... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

sigh http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx
    Modern Warfare fansite bashandslash.com recently reported that Infinity Ward is removing dedicated server functionality from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With dedicated servers and the server browser that comes with them replaced with custom-built matchmaking, PC gamers will have an online experience functionally identical to console players. Among other things, this means that clans can't run their own servers with their own mods and rulesets for their own private (or public, if they feel like crushing some scrubs for giggles) use.

Predictably, nerds across world took to the Internet with a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would make the Left 4 Dead community proud. An online petition to bring back dedicated servers at the time of this writing stands at 100,000+ signatures. However -- and this may shock some gamers with advanced persecution complexes -- this move was not made to tweak the noses of the PC community. Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella explain the decision as a conscious effort to improve their game for the vast majority of their players.

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

IW says that gameplay concerns for the majority of MW2 players are the overriding reasons for the decision. Zampella downplays the obvious piracy prevention angle (IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent). "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does," he notes. West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicates servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think you're the first console gamer that supports us Creggy!

I think more people would support it if most console gamers knew what dedicated severs and other PC gaming lingo meant.

Infinity Ward are taking the piss tbh. They know the game is going be popular anyways, so their gonna cut corners.

I really think IW should get off the fupping high horse and give the game people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Robert Bowling speaks out about IWNET
    I recently broke news on a PC community member’s podcast that Modern Warfare 2 would be introducing a completely new backend infastructure called IWNET that would allow matchmaking for multiplayer games on PC. The news, by default, means no more browsing through a Server List for a server with the settings / ping you want among other things, and sent shockwaves through the hardcore PC community, leading to many more questions than answers as to ‘HOW’ this would work, and if it would really be better for the PC community as a whole.

Questions, assumptions, and speculation I intend to dispel...

They are just refusing to listen! such A$$holes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

is expected to be used instead of PunkBuster,

I could never stand that either, such an obnoxious piece of software.

Well I guess that's it then... No more CoD on PC... It will have to be CoD2 and CoD4 for the next few months. Then switch to another game entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I reckon they will get the message about this problem and have to sort it out. This is getting bigger than the left 4 dead 2 boycott.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

i don't know...once there making money off the consoles they may just give up on the PC market because of the level of piracy in it!! They did say that 60% of ppl playing COD 4 online are using illegal copies of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

They did say that 60% of ppl playing COD 4 online are using illegal copies of the game.

What would be the percentage of people playing CSS online using pirated copies ? Or Day of Defeat Source ? I would think it's a low number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 achecketts

I had said in a previous post that this was a terrible mistake by IW but thinking about it for a while I beleive it is not mistake (for them).

Sony & Microsoft have both provided game developers a stable development environment (if it works on one, it'll work on them all). They also provide support, standards & documentation. This makes games enormously cheaper to develop on these platforms.

Developing for the PC, you don't get a stable platform, or support, or standards. They have to worry about multiple hardware providers, differing software versions etc. as well as making more complex interfaces and better graphics that the PC's of today can handle. This makes developing a PC game much more costly compared to the consoles.

Add this final sad fact. Console game sales now outstrip PC game sales by miles.

Why would a game producer spend more to develop on a platform that doesn't bring in the revenue of the cheaper alternatives?

I'm afraid and sadened to say that whilst the PC has been the bread and butter for these Companies over the years it is no longer.

PC gamers can now look forward to nothing but games that have been ported from console to PC as a meer afterthought.

:(

^^ did you post that on the IW forums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 achecketts

^^ did you post that on the IW forums?

I did. Of course, it's only my opinion but it's the only reason I can come up with as to why IW and others are just porting console games to the PC.

i asked cos i read it here then read it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I reckon either CoD2 will make a comeback or CoD4 will get a little revival as the good maps from CoD6 will be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I reckon either CoD2 will make a comeback or CoD4 will get a little revival as the good maps from CoD6 will be used.

probably :)

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    What would be the percentage of people playing CSS online using pirated copies ? Or Day of Defeat Source ? I would think it's a low number.

This is why I do not understand their piracy argument. Steam looks like it is set to be required to play the game anyway . . . that alone should protect against some level of piracy that they are worried about.

Now they will just loose sales.

Advertisement