Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 2 To Include No Dedicated Servers / PunkBuster / Mod's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Could not believe this when I saw it on Joystiq :/
    All they understand is money now so hopefully the PC community can band together and hit 'em where it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Taking a leaf from Staffanno's book of giant fonts... :)

DON"T ADVOCATE PIRACY IN THIS FORUM

There's a new sticky to say so as well. I'll remove it when this kerfuffle has died down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

wow, what a great way to shaft the community thats supported them since the release of call of duty 1. If it wasnt for PC gamers COD wouldnt be the big name it is today. Even tho i dont get to use my pc much nowadays its still a worrying development.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Hahah, goodbye competitive CoD. Seriously baffled by this, especially seeing as how IW pumped so much cash into competitive CoD4 last summer, now they go and kill it :confused:

Looks like I'll be sticking to TF2 / CSPromod, I will acquire the singleplayer though as CoD singleplayer is always good. Won't be paying for it though :P

Wouldn't be suprised to see CoD2 make a comeback now TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Wouldn't be suprised to see CoD2 make a comeback now TBH.
    Funny enough, we decided to switch our server to CoD2 last night! CoD2 FTW! FU MW2 and FU IW!

• Advertisement

Funny enough, we decided to switch our server to CoD2 last night! CoD2 FTW! FU MW2 and FU IW!

Love the sig :D

Love the sig :D
    Love it too! :D

But seriously, if we don't do anything about this, ALL PC gamers will have the same problem when new versions of their games come out! It's a bloody disgrace! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I will acquire the singleplayer though as CoD singleplayer is always good. Won't be paying for it though :P

So you admit that the single-player will be good, but also say that you will pirate it. Was the warning earlier not enough??

For all the IW hate, could we not direct it towards Activision, they seem way more likely to be behind this crap... and it is crap. FFS, I've played console games with dedicated servers! This is supposed to be the pinnacle of PC FPS gaming.

But, that's still no excuse to go pirate the thing. And if you tell yourself that you're only pirating it because of the dedicated servers issue, then you're lying to yourself, or proving why PC doesn't deserve to be the focus of IW's efforts. (for the record, I think it does, and to echo other posters, PC gamers made CoD what it is!)
    "On another PC related note, we pulled some disturbing numbers this past week about the amount of PC players currently playing Multiplayer (which was fantastic). What wasn't fantastic was the percentage of those numbers who were playing on stolen copies of the game on stolen / cracked CD keys of pirated copies (and that was only people playing online)," said Robert.

"[I'm] not sure if I can share the exact numbers or percentage of PC players with you, but I'll check and see; if I can I'll update with them. As the amount of people who pirate PC games is astounding. It blows me away at the amount of people willing to steal games (or anything) simply because it's not physical or it's on the safety of the internet to do."

So you admit that the single-player will be good, but also say that you will pirate it. Was the warning earlier not enough??
    He didn't say he'd pirate it. You assumed he would! That's different...

For all the IW hate, could we not direct it towards Activision, they seem way more likely to be behind this crap... and it is crap. FFS, I've played console games with dedicated servers! This is supposed to be the pinnacle of PC FPS gaming.

But, that's still no excuse to go pirate the thing. And if you tell yourself that you're only pirating it because of the dedicated servers issue, then you're lying to yourself, or proving why PC doesn't deserve to be the focus of IW's efforts. (for the record, I think it does, and to echo other posters, PC gamers made CoD what it is!)

Where did I say I would be pirating it? I may be borrowing a friends copy :rolleyes:

And for the record, multiplayer is the only reason most PC gamers buy a copy, because of the need for a valid CD key.

But I'm not advocating piracy so I suggest you un-knot your panties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Where did I say I would be pirating it? I may be borrowing a friends copy :rolleyes:

And for the record, multiplayer is the only reason most PC gamers buy a copy, because of the need for a valid CD key.

But I'm not advocating piracy so I suggest you un-knot your panties.

Semantics really. The point here is that you want to play the single player portion of the game, expect it will be good, and are not willing to pay for it! I'll rephrase, you seem adamant about not paying for it.

Semantics really. The point here is that you want to play the single player portion of the game, expect it will be good, and are not willing to pay for it! I'll rephrase, you seem adamant about not paying for it.

Why would I pay for it? Would you pay €50 for 9 hours of singleplayer? I've over 2000 hours on TF2 and had over 3000 on CSS and both of those games I bought for €20. So yeah, fvck paying €50 for a few hours of singleplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Petition up already against it...46,000 sigs so far and it's climbing every minute.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

Berkut wrote: »
    Petition up already against it...46,000 sigs so far and it's climbing every minute.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw
    Over 48,000 now. If even half of these are from gamers such as myself, IW are going to lose millon$ over this! GOOD! :mad:

Why would I pay for it? Would you pay €50 for 9 hours of singleplayer? I've over 2000 hours on TF2 and had over 3000 on CSS and both of those games I bought for €20. So yeah, fvck paying €50 for a few hours of singleplayer.
    I fully agree! I'm not paying €50 (or €60 as I think the PC version will cost as much as the Console version - another "Well done IW / Activision!") to play a few hours of SP... No way! I buy CoD games for MP! That's why I sold CoD5 after playing it for 10 minutes (the MP is rubbish).

I fully agree! I'm not paying €50 (or €60 as I think the PC version will cost as much as the Console version - another "Well done IW / Activision!") to play a few hours of SP... No way! I buy CoD games for MP! That's why I sold CoD5 after playing it for 10 minutes (the MP is rubbish).

Well if everyone that signed the petition will refuse to buy the game, at a RRP of €50, they have already lost €2,450,000 :pac: And that's without DLC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

long way to go before they feel the pain

13million + copies sold across all platforms of COD MW

thats not far of €520million

true but a lot of people would buy it on console as well as pc.
    And if clans are not buying it then the knock on effect will be huge even on console.
    I'm betting that they back down and release a patch on release day or soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Oh thats what Im hoping

already threw it up on the clan site as well

We should be following suit and not buying it ,........Bloody annoying had even arranged for extra servers to run , keep COD4 running at the same time .

hell..I'm not buying it..no point now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 achecketts

This is a terrible mistake.

If I wanted to play a console game, I'd go out and buy a console. So many developers are just porting console games to the PC platform, it's so annoying!

Pre-order has cancelled. I wonder if there's anyone out there that works (or knows of someone that works) in game (or similar shop). I'd be interested to know how many people have actually cancelled their pre-orders.

If anyone's interested, this news was broken by Rob Bowling from IW whilst talking to bashandslash on their weekly webcast. It's an hour long, but this is how it was announced. http://bash.podbean.com/2009/10/17/bash-123-pwnt/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hasuki

I can see an extreme pirate backlash when this game is launched.

Hasuki wrote: »
    I can see an extreme pirate backlash when this game is launched.
    It will be the most pirated game in the history of PC gaming! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Disgraceful stuff. I'm surprised that IW think they can get away with it. Puts me off from the buying the game altogether and thats coming from a console gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sp1ky

I've created a summarised timeline of events RE: No dedicated servers in MW2 http://ow.ly/vlTQ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I blame Treyarch for COD5 tbh.

creggy wrote: »
    Disgraceful stuff. I'm surprised that IW think they can get away with it. Puts me off from the buying the game altogether and thats coming from a console gamer.
    I think you're the first console gamer that supports us Creggy!

sp1ky wrote: »
    I've created a summarised timeline of events RE: No dedicated servers in MW2 http://ow.ly/vlTQ :pac:
    Sums it up nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Why would they even do this! Adding steam and VAC is a good idea in itself but to then ruin the whole thing with this rubbish about not using dedicated servers is just a joke! Did they just go cheap and decide to make as few changes as possible to the code when porting? :mad::mad:

People are so out of touch with PC gaming, it's just a matter of throwing as much shovelware at the consoles as possible and then the afterthought of a PC port :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I cant believe this news :eek:

I just cancelled my preorder and txted a few mates who are also were going to cancel, I think we will have we have to rely on BF2 for a few more months until the release of Bad Company 2.

Damn you Activison :mad:

*edit*
    just signed
    "Your signature number for this petition is 89493"

Advertisement