Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Weird, why would he want to work on front of a crowd in a scenario that helps him work on timing, delivery, thinking on his feet, working a crowd. What benefit could that be to WWE if he got better at those things?.................

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Hold on lads, ye're acting like WWE guys don't know what they're signing when a contract is put in front of them. All of this is spelled out in black-and-white and they have every opportunity to turn around and say no at any stage. Yeah the industry mightn't be fair blah blah blah...it is what it is. It hasn't changed in the duration of Dolph Ziggler's current contract. Ziggler knows this. It's he who moved the goalposts here, not WWE, much as you might like him or want to see WWE as the big bad guy.

If he wants to be a wrestler in WWE, those are the parameters. He can just as soon not be a wrestler there by walking out tomorrow. If he can't because of financial commitments etc, then welcome to the real world pal, thanks for joining the rest of us doing a job you don't like that might infringe on your passion because you've got bills to pay. If he wants to be a comedian that badly, why not do what others do and start from the bottom instead of trying to have his cake and eat it by getting gigs based off his WWE name? (Which he should've known would get him in trouble if caught)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I get your point, but just because what WWE is doing is legal and wrestlers accept bad terms, doesn't mean it's right. More so, if the wrestling industry was bigger, or wrestlers themselves unionised, it wouldn't be like this. No other sport or television show gives their performers so little rights and benefits. It's like saying "Someone lost my pension but they found a legal loophole, so I can't complain".

It's also worth noting that due to Del Rio & Punk, WWE recently changed everyone's contract so that if they're fired, they forfeit merchandising royalites and working in another wrestling or MMA company for 1 year. It probably wouldn't stand up in court, if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Daniel Bryan did an interview with MTV UK while recovering from surgery,
    http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0107/588294/daniel-bryan-comments-on-a-match-with-brock-lesnar/
    One of the things that kills me about this is if I were champion right now I'd be wrestling Brock Lesnar and that's the match I've always really wanted. I feel like we could do something completely different that people wouldn't have seen before in the United States. That's the match I really, really want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fair play they are keeping kayfabe but imagine paying for a ticket for one of this weekend's shows:
    – Erick Rowan and Ryback were both taken off this weekend’s house shows following their “firing” on Raw. Dolph Ziggler, as previously reported, was pulled from the live shows yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Maybe they'll pull a Juan Cena or something?

Sky Sports have revealed the locations for WWE's 2015 PPV's
    http://www1.skysports.com/other-sports/news/14204/8909089/wwe-check-out-when-the-big-events-are-being-shown-on-sky-sports-box-office
    1. February 22nd: Fast Lane, FedEx Forum in Memphis, TN
    2. March 29th: WrestleMania 31, Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, CA
    3. April 26th: Extreme Rules, Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL
    4. May 17th: Payback, Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore, MD
    5. June 14th: Money In the Bank, Nationwide Arena in Columbus, OH
    6. July 19th: Battleground, Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO
    7. August 23rd: SummerSlam, Izod Center in East Rutherford, NJ
    8. September 20th: Night of Champions, Toyota Center in Houston, TX
    9. October 25th: Hell In a Cell, Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA
    10. November 22nd: Survivor Series, Philips Arena in Atlanta, GA
    11. December 13th: TLC, TD Garden in Boston, MA

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I get your point, but just because what WWE is doing is legal and wrestlers accept bad terms, doesn't mean it's right. More so, if the wrestling industry was bigger, or wrestlers themselves unionised, it wouldn't be like this. No other sport or television show gives their performers so little rights and benefits. It's like saying "Someone lost my pension but they found a legal loophole, so I can't complain".

It's also worth noting that due to Del Rio & Punk, WWE recently changed everyone's contract so that if they're fired, they forfeit merchandising royalites and working in another wrestling or MMA company for 1 year. It probably wouldn't stand up in court, if you can afford it.

I agree in the sense that all wrestlers should cop on, get together and unionise. In terms of WWE it's easily done, if half or more of your roster stop and drop WWE will cave. But obviously there is a lot of talent that don't want to unionise and for fair reasons too. WWE cover the costs of most surgeries and rehab that any active talent need. Also if talent unionised, wage caps and extra costs would be involved. Something most top talent in the business (Mostly mid to upper tier WWE talent don't want). Not to mention most likely royalties and bonuses for merch etc go out the window too. It's very much a reward the rich scam the poor system as it stands but that's how it is.

Punk for instance, is the most recent case of a top name bringing up the idea, which is fine. But he strikes me as someone who says things for the sake of it as opposed to actually knowing what he's talking about. If someone sat him down, pointed out the potential hundreds of thousands of dollars he could stand to lose from unionisation he'd have changed his tune pretty quick. Pretty evident by the fact he moaned about being an independent contractor for WWE, then jumped into being exactly the same thing for UFC. UFC fighters get health insurance yes, but that's about it, and unless you're a draw and are getting fight bonuses you are open to getting paid a small lump sum to risk getting beat up 3 times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Imagine the drawing power of Erick Rowan? They should offer refunds if he's not on the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Punk for instance, is the most recent case of a top name bringing up the idea, which is fine. But he strikes me as someone who says things for the sake of it as opposed to actually knowing what he's talking about. If someone sat him down, pointed out the potential hundreds of thousands of dollars he could stand to lose from unionisation he'd have changed his tune pretty quick. Pretty evident by the fact he moaned about being an independent contractor for WWE, then jumped into being exactly the same thing for UFC. UFC fighters get health insurance yes, but that's about it, and unless you're a draw and are getting fight bonuses you are open to getting paid a small lump sum to risk getting beat up 3 times a year.

Great point. Don't be fooled, Punk says things that suit Punk, not anyone else. He's about as selfish a wrestler there is. What was his solution to 'save wrestling' after all that talk of there being so many things wrong with WWE? Push him and pay him a lot of money for it. Put him over Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker. You can't really take someone seriously who's trying to work the entire world into believing they deserve more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Don't forget he also wanted to be in the main event of WrestleMania XXIX in a triple threat elimination match with John Cena & Dwayne Johnson. He even suggested being the first eliminated. I wonder how he would have reacted if he was told he was the first one being pinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He's the definition of a sociopath. I'm currently on psychiatric rotation, he'd fit right in!

He even suggested being the first eliminated. I wonder how he would have reacted if he was told he was the first one being pinned.

How do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

That he speaks a good game but if in that situation, he wouldn't have reacted well to being told he was first out.

Not that complicated!

Palo Alto wrote: »
    That he speaks a good game but if in that situation, he wouldn't have reacted well to being told he was first out.

Not that complicated!
    Fair enough, I just thought the 2 sentences were contradictory but then that was the point. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Fair enough, I just thought the 2 sentences were contradictory but then that was the point. :P

I did the same Button. :P

JERRY LAWLER GONE FROM RAW
    As SmackDown prepares to move to Thursday nights next week on Syfy, WWE Universe members will be seeing some new faces behind both the Raw and SmackDown announce desks.

On Raw, Michael Cole and JBL will be joined each week by WWE Hall of Famer Booker T, while the new SmackDown announce team will consist of Cole, newcomer Byron Saxton and incomparable WWE Hall of Famer Jerry “The King” Lawler. Cole, JBL and Lawler will continue to call the action during WWE pay-per-view events.

Check out both of these announce teams in action on Raw, Monday night at 8/7 CT on USA Network, and SmackDown on its new night, Thursday at 8/7 CT on Syfy!

They are probably concerned about his health. Jerry Lawler is a Kevin Dunn guy and Bryon Saxton is a Triple H guy so that may play into it too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Can't say I'd miss him.

Booker T in Lawler's place on Raw, i can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

It probably won't improve much but at least we can laugh at Booker T instead of constantly cringing at Lawler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shucky Ducky Cole....

Took ages for people to realise that Tom Phillips lost his role on Smackdown. Such the non-entity he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does anyone watch Smackdown anymore to even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Why do they need a 3 man team anyway? Worked for many years with 2

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why do they need a 3 man team anyway? Worked for many years with 2

Moar arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Phillips back to NXT then Rovert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Serious booker t commentary can also help sell a story better but the guy is also just funny to listen to.

Garseys wrote: »
    Phillips back to NXT then Rovert?

No idea. Maybe backstage interview.

Lillian's deal should be up so it will be interesting if they change ring announcers. The long term at one stage at least was Eden on Raw and JoJo on Smackdown. They need someone who can sign on the road. JoJo can and I don't think Eden can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think JBL needs to be scrapped from commentary altogether, he just hasn't got it anymore. Cole is going nowhere so we have to live with that.

I'd love to see a two man team of Michael Cole and William Regal on Raw, I think Regal could bring out the best in Cole.

King and Booker on Smackdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

martyos121 wrote: »
    I think JBL needs to be scrapped from commentary altogether, he just hasn't got it anymore. Cole is going nowhere so we have to live with that.

I'd love to see a two man team of Michael Cole and William Regal on Raw, I think Regal could bring out the best in Cole.

King and Booker on Smackdown.

JBL in 2006-07 was awesome. Vince has poisoned him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement