Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Whatever about JBL being annoying, I can't think of anyone other than perhaps Winston Bogarde who has so shamelessly exerted so little effort to earn a wage as Lawler on commentary in the last long while.
    And if you haven't seen prime-Lawler before look up some of King's promos from Memphis. The actual wrestling was not for me but Jesus he could sell a match. Lot of great guys were down there at some point. Corey Maclin makes current WWE commentary seem like JR at his peak.
    Yep, Memphis Heat is well worth a viewing to see Lawler and that whole scene. It's actually insane how great Jimmy Hart was in the clips used in that documentary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah, new t shirt every week,always around the main event scene and features more often than all in the big raw quarters, rushed back from every injury, does the most high profile media work, yeah the guy is still the man.

Its why, all talk of him turning heel is pointless, it can't happen unless someone like Reigns can be the man like he has been.
    John Cena doesn't have a new t-shirt on the market every week. But I would wager that even if he only had one design, it would probably still out-sell most other peoples' merchandise combined. Anyway, they have no real reason to turn him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Mokuba wrote: »
    Hopefully they put Heyman on commentary after Brock finishes up, if Lawler's health scare is serious.

I would love Heyman to take Lawler's place at the commentary table if Lawler's health problems are serious. But remember that handshake between Rollins & Heyman, me thinks Rollins could be the next Paul Heyman Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

As long as he don't end up like Axel Cesaro and the rest of the Paul Heyman guys

• Advertisement

2 Unlimited blindsided everyone last year. They are a team from the West Coast of Ireland that I didn't really know existed nor did the people who I talk Wrestling with until they were booked in the UK. They absolute tore down the house in their debut for Revolution Pro well they have been reward big time:
    https://twitter.com/AQuildan/status/551050900769611777

Gwan the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Any stuff of them online? I'm intrigued...

leggo wrote: »
    Any stuff of them online? I'm intrigued...

There's a naff music video. They are an Irish Young Bucks pretty much:

Did my head in researching them when I first heard of them. Neither them or their home promotion have feck all up about themselves: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emerald-Wrestling-Promotions/100651866652805

But they stood out on a card with UK, North American and Japanese names.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Right, who's on for forming a team called Eiffel 65?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Right, who's on for forming a team called Eiffel 65?

Make a faction. Call yourselves the blue man group

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    There's a naff music video. They are an Irish Young Bucks pretty much:

Did my head in researching them when I first heard of them. Neither them or their home promotion have feck all up about themselves: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emerald-Wrestling-Promotions/100651866652805

But they stood out on a card with UK, North American and Japanese names.

Hmm if I was a promoter I'd book them on the strength of that video alone. Very tight and polished. I really wanna know their story now...

ADR makes his ROH debut tonight against Christopher Daniels:

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/551501301692260353

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Don't you mean AEP?

Scott Hall isn't wasting time in New Japan:

https://twitter.com/SenorLARIATO/status/552070645694361600

He's not a full member of group he has to earn it.

According to Bryan Alvarez WWE is mad at Dolph for booking this without asking permission:
    B6toBYRCIAAKjJ0.jpg

So that's part of the reason they took the title off of him, besides for the storyline firing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

rovert wrote: »
    According to Bryan Alvarez WWE is mad at Dolph for booking this without asking permission:

So that's part of the reason they took the title off of him, besides for the storyline firing.
    You know people keep on saying Dolph should be pushed but seeing how consistently he's managed to get himself put in the doghouse you have to start asking yourself if it's not a case of him rather than WWE at this stage as he does not appear to ever understand what not to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's not as if he was appearing in the crowd at an impact taping. I'm sure an independant contracter like Zig should be allowed a hobby on his days off.

WWE have a policy of treating their 'superstars' as stars and not making them readily accessible to the public. Same reason you won't see Hollywood A-Listers down the local, and even if they are it's usually a PR exercise (think when the Anchorman guys went on the piss in Dublin). Interestingly, personal belief in that policy is what kept Sheamus off social media for so long.

So yeah, I can kinda see their point in not wanting him performing in front of 30 people in a smoky comedy club where he could easily bomb on stage. It ruins a wrestler's drawing value in a town if that kinda stuff gets out...and material getting put up on YouTube is a hot topic in comedy right now so that's likely what WWE would be afraid of in case Dolph said anything or came across in such a way that it didn't match their image. But it's quite an old school belief at its core actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As Punk said though - its easier to get forgiveness than permission.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gimmick wrote: »
    As Punk said though - its easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    Yet if you've been denied forgiveness multiple times it might just be worth asking for permission going forward if you want to have a career beyond mid card jobber...

leggo wrote: »
    WWE have a policy of treating their 'superstars' as stars and not making them readily accessible to the public. Same reason you won't see Hollywood A-Listers down the local, and even if they are it's usually a PR exercise (think when the Anchorman guys went on the piss in Dublin). Interestingly, personal belief in that policy is what kept Sheamus off social media for so long.

So yeah, I can kinda see their point in not wanting him performing in front of 30 people in a smoky comedy club where he could easily bomb on stage. It ruins a wrestler's drawing value in a town if that kinda stuff gets out...and material getting put up on YouTube is a hot topic in comedy right now so that's likely what WWE would be afraid of in case Dolph said anything or came across in such a way that it didn't match their image. But it's quite an old school belief at its core actually.

Another thing that hurts drawing power is never letting anyone in your company ever get over.

Another thing that hurts drawing power is never letting anyone in your company ever get over.

To be fair, doing a small comedy show won't help Ziggler get over or do anything for WWE in his pro-wrestling career. So that is a completely different discussion and has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

This is a side project he's doing for himself and, while I'm sure WWE have no problem allowing their wrestlers to live their own lives outside of work, it also involves someone else managing and making money off Ziggler's image. I imagine WWE would argue that they pay him quite well to be the sole beneficiaries of that image. My dayjob has similar stipulations regarding you being a representative of the company and not doing anything publicly which may bring the company into disrepute. Most companies do. And in entertainment your image is your business so it's iron clad. If he wants to be a comedian, he can do a Jericho, Brock or Punk and walk out to pursue a new career goal. Then, who knows, if it goes well he might be able to do both down the line.

All that's happened here is an employee went against the wishes of his boss and got punished for it. That's what happens in the real world, whether you like that employee or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I'd say it wouldn't be as big a problem if he was doing this show in his own time advertised as Nick Nemeth. But using WWE IP, advertising him as WWE Superstar without permission is where the beef lies and WWE are in the right in my opinion.

Yeah, but it's so small time, it shouldn't be an issue. Jericho did plenty of improv nights and Fozzy gigs etc. I'm sure he asked permission, but he had a lot more clout too. It's a shame since Ziggler was one of the very few things worth watching for lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Yeah, but it's so small time, it shouldn't be an issue. Jericho did plenty of improv nights and Fozzy gigs etc. I'm sure he asked permission, but he had a lot more clout too. It's a shame since Ziggler was one of the very few things worth watching for lately.

Chris Jericho as I understand it owns the name Chris Jericho though, different ballgame. He can advertise and appear as Jericho whenever and wherever he wants.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"Independent Contractor"....until you actually try and take the smallest of small side jobs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I always thought the social media was encouraged. So sad the way they get "punished" by dropping them down the card, etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    "Independent Contractor"....until you actually try and take the smallest of small side jobs.....

I wish wrestling was a bigger industry so this kind of unfair business practise would be wiped out. "We want the benefits of holding you to a contract but none of the responsibilities of health care, pensions etc"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ruu wrote: »
    I always thought the social media was encouraged. So sad the way they get "punished" by dropping them down the card, etc.

Its punishes WWE too. Biting their nose off to spite there face.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement