Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worker arrives in unkempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

perhaps Jeeves might be better employed bartering for your goods down at the market? It's a win/win too as you'll be free to spend more time preening your baby's bottom smooth face in preparation for the next inspection.
    I had to let Jeeves go after he refused to shave. I now have a boy, Frederick, that does that for me.

Don't assume i'm upper class, all i expect is pride in your appearance in a work environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I had to let Jeeves go after he refused to shave. I now have a boy, Frederick, that does that for me.

Don't assume i'm upper class, all i expect is pride in your appearance in a work environment.
    What if you're a labourer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

You're right there, MagicMarker, labourers shouldn't be allowed to have pride in their appearance. Sure the answer is in the question.

This is based on someone in a direct customer related environment.

This is based on someone in a direct customer related environment.
    Okay, what if you're a labourer working on my house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Voltex wrote: »
    Its not about beards per se...its about the in between bit where they just look scruffy!
    Well...How is someone supposed to grow a beard without going through the in between stage?Give up their job until the beard is grown?Call it Beard-Leave.

Okay, what if you're a labourer working on my house?

Again, its not a direct customer related role, but yes, in that case, i'd expect the "labourer" to have some pride in his appearance. Maybe not the same level as someone in a customer focused role, but why not? Yes, they will get dirty during their work, such is the nature of the work, but turning up messy, I wouldn't be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

When someone is interacting with customers they're representing the company they work for. Unshaven people can look unprofessional. So, if I was a manager and felt that an employee was looking unprofessional by his lack of shaving then I'd probably tell him to make sure he shaves before his next shift.

I don't get the whole stupid "did it effect how he served you" comments. It doesn't matter. An image is very important for all businesses. Just like employees are generally given nice uniforms. Uniforms don't effect the service you get either, but they look professional. Just like you'd tell someone to put their uniform back on because they look unprofessional without it, I'd tell someone to shave if they looked unprofessional unshaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

too..........many.............jokes.......................
    Don't assume i'm upper class,
    Well, I didn't. What I was doing was attempting to use the Jeeves imagery as a means of illustrating what an over inflated toolbag you were being. I'm sorry to say my ruse has backfired. Darn it.
    all i expect is pride in your appearance in a work environment.
    And your expectation is noted. Harrods have been notified to expect your exclusive patronage from now on.

Well, I didn't. What I was doing was attempting to use the Jeeves imagery as a means of illustrating what an over inflated toolbag you were being. I'm sorry to say my ruse has backfired. Darn it.
    And your expectation is noted. Harrods have been notified to expect your exclusive patronage from now on.
    As Mark200 just said, the employee is representing the company, not themselves. Why should they not be tidy, please enlighten me. And this makes me a toolbag how?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

As Mark200 just said, the employee is representing the company, not themselves. Why should they not be tidy, please enlighten me. And this makes me a toolbag how?

Largely, I think, because you went to a cheap supermarket. Now had you paid the big bucks at Harrods you would be entitled to complain. As you didnt, you dont. The stuff is cheap because labour there is cheap ( and much of the labour is supplied by the customer), and being cheap and unskilled the people involved - quite understandably - are not going to take all that much time to be absolutely perfect in their appearance for your cheap overview. Stubble, afer all, has nothing to do with anything that can affect the shrink wrapped 80% ham, and the Strongbow, you piled up the weekly shop with.

So if you want perfectly made up models out of GQ, step up a level to a more sophisticated shopping experience where labour is paid more, and better skilled, and (barf) incentivised to care what you think of their beard growing.

I have seen stubbly doctors in my time, by the way. I put it down to long hours. I didnt worry about cleanliness in other aspects of their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

It left an impression...and not a good one.

Why do you give a **** how other people choose to dress or shave? "It left an impression", well ta-tee-taw-tee-tiddly-taw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Largely, I think, because you went to a cheap supermarket. Now had you paid the big bucks at Harrods you would be entitled to complain

Sorry but thats rubbish. Funny thing is that my wife used to work in the same store when it was Crazy prices and she remembers arriving into work and basically being lined up and inspected before being allowed onto the shop floor...shoes, uniform,hair,...make-up. she was once sent home for having two studs in her ear...but in the last few years shop staffs appearance has really gone down hill.

Theres no getting away from it...3-4 days facial growth looks scruffy and takes away from the store.

So what if it was tesco...does that mean store managers cant have pride in the stores frontline staff?

if i was a store manager Id want customers to feel they are given the same level of consideration and respect as their richer peers who can afford a weekly shop in M&S or BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why should they not be tidy, please enlighten me.
    The problem is who decides what is tidy. In this case it seems tesco might have no problem with stubble but the OP does. What if a manager things long hair is untidy and wants all the female staff to get skinheads, what if the OP things they should, they can tell a manager they think all staff should be shaven headed, but it is up to them. From the posts here it seems most people have no problem with stubble.

Men with shaved heads are the accepted norm now, it is seen as a tidy haircut compared to normal ones now. But I remember getting just a blade 3 or 4 in school and been taken aside by teachers asking WTF I was thinking, and not being let into bars. That was ~18 years ago. Stubble is a lot more accepted now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

jaffa20 wrote: »
    eh, i shave once a week.:confused:

I shave once a month and my goatee once every 3-4 months and have long hair and no body is going to send me home.:p

Sorry but thats rubbish. Funny thing is that my wife used to work in the same store when it was Crazy prices and she remembers arriving into work and basically being lined up and inspected before being allowed onto the shop floor...shoes, uniform,hair,...make-up. she was once sent home for having two studs in her ear...but in the last few years shop staffs appearance has really gone down hill.

Theres no getting away from it...3-4 days facial growth looks scruffy and takes away from the store.

So what if it was tesco...does that mean store managers cant have pride in the stores frontline staff?

if i was a store manager Id want customers to feel they are given the same level of consideration and respect as their richer peers who can afford a weekly shop in M&S or BT.
    Your wife wasn't in Tesco yesterday was she?

I'm actually going to side with the OP here. Why should your man in the shop be untidy in work? Now, i do have facial hair, but i grew it in my own time, and its kept tidy for work. If he's being that lacks with shaving, what other basic hygiene is he not doing?

I've had to get people to shave. Not a full beard off, but 5 o'clock shadow. You want to be messy, do it on your own time.

There's nothing unhygenic about not shaving...

Your wife wasn't in Tesco yesterday was she?

No....why was yours?

No....why was yours?

oooh... oh no you didn't!!!

No....why was yours?
    My wife's dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

When I writing up my notes on a session part of them would take in the clients general appearance. I would only write unkempt when there was a few factors to be considered. The person's general appearance, hair styled or wild. Are their clothes clean,soiled, or disheveled, do they fit. What is their personal hygine like fingernails, do they smell etc.

Unshave would only be a small factor on my decision as to what I would write. Being unshaven is not being unclean. My mother belived that anyone with a thight hair-cut was a thug and I would say the same type of connection is being made here, a incorrect judgemental one.

Seriously of course people should be prsentable in work, I wear amry combats around the house; I wouldn't go to work like that. The judgements some people make are so off the mark. I communte to work on a motorbike, occassionally I may have to go to a meeting/give a lecture somewhere nobody knows me. I get a great laugh out of people when I turn up in my bike kit. Generally before I have asked is there somewhere to change they have made a judgement about me, that I'm there to collect/deliver something, which in away I am. However, all they see is a courier not the person giving them the lecture/talk.

A few times I had people try to brush me off, can you go to reception they will help you. Then the suddenly change when I tell them why I'm tell.

I'm not the OP :)

I just happened to side with them.

I'm not expecting them to shave with scented water, use all the latest styling gear etc. to go into work for a minimum wage job, but a razor doesn't cost that much, but pride in their appearance is priceless.

When I was training, I was getting pitance, about €156 a week, for a 40 hour week, apprenticeship wages, and I managed to turn out tidy every day. And you could be sure as **** that if I didn't, I was pulled on it.

I apply the same now.

And anyway, a lot of those GQ models, they have that permenant stubble that I just can't manage to achieve, and am a little jealous over.

Edit: Just read Odysseus' post. Essentially, that is what I was trying to get across. Its not just the shaved/unshaved battle that seems to have appeared here, but a number of other factors as well. BUT when it comes to facial hair, you know that time when its past stubble, and not quite into proper beard/goatee territory, that what I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

For fcuk sake OP it's a supermarket, not the bleeding army. There's no rule in place that says an employee can't grow a beard so by all means he's not doing anything wrong. Also if you're going to get on your high horse over a guy you hardly even know's appearence, then I would hate to see what you would do in a manager's position. Fact is, obviously the management in the Tesco that you went to don't seem to care about the guys apperence so it's not like he's doing anything wrong. You'd swear the OP was making it out as if the guy insulted him or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Riddle101 wrote: »
    For fcuk sake OP it's a supermarket, not the bleeding army. There's no rule in place that says an employee can't grow a beard so by all means he's not doing anything wrong. Also if you're going to get on your high horse over a guy you hardly even know's appearence, then I would hate to see what you would do in a manager's position. Fact is, obviously the management in the Tesco that you went to don't seem to care about the guys apperence so it's not like he's doing anything wrong. You'd swear the OP was making it out as if the guy insulted him or something.
    +1.
    If the dude had FUCK shaved into his beard,fair enough.But its stubble.

I'm not the OP :)

Edit: Just read Odysseus' post. Essentially, that is what I was trying to get across. Its not just the shaved/unshaved battle that seems to have appeared here, but a number of other factors as well. BUT when it comes to facial hair, you know that time when its past stubble, and not quite into proper beard/goatee territory, that what I am talking about.

However, the bit in between is still not unclean in and of itself, that's the point I'm making.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Sorry but thats rubbish. Funny thing is that my wife used to work in the same store when it was Crazy prices and she remembers arriving into work and basically being lined up and inspected before being allowed onto the shop floor...shoes, uniform,hair,...make-up. she was once sent home for having two studs in her ear
    Times have changed. Two studs in the ear is not going to get anyone sent home. During the time of the Roman empire youths would often rub oil onto their skin to try to force the growth of a scraggly beard. Are you telling me that a 2100 year old Roman shouldn't be allowed to stack the shelves at my local Tesco?
    ...but in the last few years shop staffs appearance has really gone down hill.
    Uphill if you're an orthodox jew
    But it is an excellent look if you're representing yourself as the son of god!

And I'd want my staff to just do a good job of looking after my customers and not worry too much if some of them offended Mr Strickland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Theres a guy who arrived into my job (sales/reception) in a tracksuit, clearly dirty with greasy long hair and beard growth.. he was sent home because of these combined factors That is unacceptable. It is the culmination of the entire thing that made it look bad
    I have had doctors/dentists/tesco workers/shoe salesmen etc serve me with stubble/beards and I have barely taken notice, certainly havent been offended. If couples with greasy hair and the appearance of a general wreck serve me, then fair enough complain
    In short-stop moaning until you have something to moan about! Theres enough crap in this country to get on your high horse about, this aint one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

i hope you never get served by bridget in supervalue on the hacketstown road :eek:

When I writing up my notes on a session part of them would take in the clients general appearance. I would only write unkempt when there was a few factors to be considered. The person's general appearance, hair styled or wild. Are their clothes clean,soiled, or disheveled, do they fit. What is their personal hygine like fingernails, do they smell etc.

Unshave would only be a small factor on my decision as to what I would write. Being unshaven is not being unclean. My mother belived that anyone with a thight hair-cut was a thug and I would say the same type of connection is being made here, a incorrect judgemental one.

...thats great...but this lads mental status is not the topic of discussion here...its his apperance was not what i would expect of frontline staff of any company...nor that of a PLC.

• Advertisement

...thats great...but this lads mental status is not the topic of discussion here...its his apperance was not what i would expect of frontline staff of any company...nor that of a PLC.

Does it matter the reason you are noting the person's appearance, I can't see how the cirteria would change, as I said facial hair is only one apsect of one's appearance, not the defining caracteristic.

Advertisement