Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worker arrives in unkempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

AS far as I can make out, the OP wasn't talking about an actual beard OR designer stubble, but the scraggly 3/4 day growth that comes through in patches.

As I said before, I have a goatee, BUT I still shave every day, and the goatee is trimmed every 2/3 days.

When I said before about hygiene, I didn't mean that shaving was basic hygiene, I did however mean to imply that IF he wasn't shaving, what else was he not doing.

Again, I don't mind goatee's/beards, I love mine. But I grew it when I was on holiday from work, so that I didn't look untidy.

Yes I have asked people to shave in work, they came in after 3 days off, 2 of which was spent on the beer, and had unsightly patchy growth. I handed him one of the shaving kits (supplied in hotels) and told him to tidy himself up. He did it. End of. No "Oh FU you big nazi"

Oh and Iamxavier, I find it highly amusing that in your post, you have such an attitude towards "The Man" and then in your sig "I'm looking for work" You may want to tone down the rebel without a cause bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

BostonB wrote: »
    Hows that work. How can you have a beard if you have to shave?

Use your noodle, you either shave daily or you have a beard which you keep trimmed. I'm not against beards as I've said I had one for a while and I did sport a goatie for a few years. If you are going to grow a beard then it should be done during holidays or periods when you're not dealing with the public. This is only appicable to people who work in hotels, banks, sales etc..... I don't care if someone who serves me hasn't shaved but there are people out there and on this thread who do and this is why the male face should be looking tidy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Just confirming the policy of hotels. They do not allow growing time, and they will tell you to shave or go home.
    Wonder should there be exceptions for especially ugly people :)
    See the issue is, you can do anything to men, but not to women.
    Try telling women to shave? Wear hair short? Wear a tie? You would be hung drawn and quartered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Confab wrote: »
    The OP sounds like his greetings are either:

a) 'I say fellows, greetings all round!'

b) 'All roysh chaps, how are we all today? Focking stock market up I take it?'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRXNoeCjQY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

phill106 wrote: »
    Just confirming the policy of hotels. They do not allow growing time, and they will tell you to shave or go home.
    Try telling women to shave? Wear hair short? Wear a tie? You would be hung drawn and quartered!

discrimination right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Voltex wrote: »
    If you were a boss...would you send a worker home if he (or she) arrives in without shaving?

Is SHE arrives at work unshaven, no, I`d film her and put her on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't understand why some people think beards are unacceptable, it's like long hair on guys, once it's clean and tidy, why should it matter?

You're entitled to your own opinion, if you don't think it looks good, that's fair enough, but your opinion isn't fact.

(And I don't have a beard or long hair btw :p)

Obviously some people haven't enough to be doing that they are worrying about this crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

jerseyeire wrote: »
    . If you are going to grow a beard then it should be done during holidays or periods when you're not dealing with the public. This is only appicable to people who work in hotels, banks, sales etc..... I don't care if someone who serves me hasn't shaved but there are people out there and on this thread who do and this is why the male face should be looking tidy.

It sounds like you are treating men that have not shaven in a couple of days like lepers, that they should stay out of the public domain for fear that their appearence might cause deep offence to people like the OP and you.

Out of the public domain, no. Out of the workplace, where neat appearance is expected, yes.

Look at it like this.

Your dealing with someone in a business environment. They are selling you something. But they're dressed is a raggedy tshirt and a torn pair of trousers. Is that the image you would expect of a sales person.

Or would you expect them to wear clean clothes? Not necessarily suited & booted, as that isn't every stores image, but clean, ironed, proper.

So why not the same with their facial appearance. Raggedy or clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

what it comes down to, is if you are the public face of a company...be it whatever...Id fully expect you to be neat, clean shaven and dressed smartly.
    I really dont give a fidlers fart whats said about me or my opinion, its what boards is about...diversity of opinion!!...but the fact you have made reference to my children does. Im lookin for a Mod to remove that post now pls.
    reason Im posting this is that while in Tesco tonight I was served by a lad prob 24/25 who must have had about 3 days growth on his face. if i was his manager, Id have given him the choice of A) Purchasing a packet of Gillett off the shelf or f*ckin off home for the rest of the day.
    He wasnt far off lookin like Chewie from Star wars.

I wouldn't be all that bothered with stubble, but if if I were your manager, and found that you were emailing customers with the same poor grammar and punctuation that you've used here, I would certainly mention it to you.

It would tell me that your careless and don't care.
    Beard growth and appearances are not the only things that present a bad impression.

• Advertisement

what it comes down to, is if you are the public face of a company...be it whatever...Id fully expect you to be neat, clean shaven and dressed smartly.
    I really dont give a fidlers fart whats said about me or my opinion, its what boards is about...diversity of opinion!!...but the fact you have made reference to my children does. Im lookin for a Mod to remove that post now pls.
    reason Im posting this is that while in Tesco tonight I was served by a lad prob 24/25 who must have had about 3 days growth on his face. if i was his manager, Id have given him the choice of A) Purchasing a packet of Gillett off the shelf or f*ckin off home for the rest of the day.
    He wasnt far off lookin like Chewie from Star wars.

I wouldn't be all that bothered with stubble, but if if I were your manager, and found that you were emailing customers with the same poor grammar and punctuation that you've used here, I would certainly mention it to you.

It would tell me that you don't care.
    Beard growth and appearances are not the only things that present a bad impression.

Sleipnir wrote: »

:P

I agree though, there are many things that present a bad impression.

:P

I agree though, there are many things that present a bad impression.

You've never heard of "if if"?
    If if I.
    If if you.
    If if we?
    Really, it's first-grade stuff, Sofiztikated!

Sorry, I'm a serial re-editor of my posts but often leave them in a worse state the second, third or forth time around!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Use your noodle, you either shave daily or you have a beard which you keep trimmed. I'm not against beards as I've said I had one for a while and I did sport a goatie for a few years. If you are going to grow a beard then it should be done during holidays or periods when you're not dealing with the public. This is only appicable to people who work in hotels, banks, sales etc..... I don't care if someone who serves me hasn't shaved but there are people out there and on this thread who do and this is why the male face should be looking tidy.
    It sounds like you are treating men that have not shaven in a couple of days like lepers, that they should stay out of the public domain for fear that their appearence might cause deep offence to people like the OP and you.
    Well done on choosing to leave out the section that says I had a beard and a goatie but in a lapse of concentration you left in the part that says "I don't care if someone who serves me hasn't shaved" so you can leave me out of the people it causes deep offence to. I think anyone in hotel management would agree with the points I've made. I never told a chef to shave only those dealing directly with the public.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

It left an impression...and not a good one.

YOU WERE IN TESCOS. ITS A SUPERMARKET.

I think we was right with the 3 days thing, though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pssst, there's an edit button for when you **** up your grammar when trying to correct someone else's for no apparent reason.

Pssst, there's an edit button for when you **** up your grammar when trying to correct someone else's for no apparent reason.

Your missing the point.

A mistake when typing is just that, a mistake.

However when someone, for example, repeatedly doesn't insert an apostrophe into words where they belong, e.g. "dont" and "cant", it shows carelessness, laziness and a lack of attention to detail.

Also, as you can see from my previous post where I said;
    "Sorry, I'm a serial re-editor of my posts"

I'm well aware that there is an edit button, i just chose not to use it in this case as my mistake had already been quoted and was, therefore, on public record anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

You're missing the point.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

phill106 wrote: »

There are plenty of places that have strict dress-codes for women aswell, i.e. having to wear heels, full face of make-up, always dressed-up (BT and Body Shop staff and Air Hostesses are three examples).

Unless you're specifically talking about shaving, in which case, there is only one industry that can ask women to shave for a job...

• Advertisement

Unless you're specifically talking about shaving, in which case, there is only one industry that can ask women to shave for a job...

Cycling?

tvnutz wrote: »
    :)
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

You spelt Gah wrong, Sleipner.

/ gets coat, leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Sundays a day for rest, not for a serious topic like this:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There are plenty of places that have strict dress-codes for women aswell, i.e. having to wear heels, full face of make-up, always dressed-up (BT and Body Shop staff and Air Hostesses are three examples).

Their employers insist on a face full of make up, is that in their contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,783 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi If the OP is still around what tescos was it you were in? It sounds distinctly like a friend of mine with said beard growth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Their employers insist on a face full of make up, is that in their contract?

I presume so, seeing as training is given on how to apply make-up properly.

As for the wearing of heels, there was something in Britain there recently about a call for the removal of dress-codes from certain contracts, namely citing the requirement for wearing heels while working as an air-hostess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe you should shop in M&S or Brown Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Out of the public domain, no. Out of the workplace, where neat appearance is expected, yes.

Look at it like this.

Your dealing with someone in a business environment. They are selling you something. But they're dressed is a raggedy tshirt and a torn pair of trousers. Is that the image you would expect of a sales person.

Or would you expect them to wear clean clothes? Not necessarily suited & booted, as that isn't every stores image, but clean, ironed, proper.

So why not the same with their facial appearance. Raggedy or clean?

In order to avoid those situations where you find yourself face to face with the riff-raff, perhaps Jeeves might be better employed bartering for your goods down at the market? It's a win/win too as you'll be free to spend more time preening your baby's bottom smooth face in preparation for the next inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Did it impact on the way you were served?
    It left an impression...and not a good one.
    I would have been left with a bad impression if I saw a sign in tesco saying "we force all our employees to shave or they are sacked."

Advertisement