Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worker arrives in unkempt

Options
  • 03-10-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

If you were a boss...would you send a worker home if he (or she) arrives in without shaving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is it's a she, then yes =p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Er.........no. That must surely impinch on the auld youman rights

In this day and age it's not like he's got any customers to see anyway!

so no!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

eh, i shave once a week.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

What is unkempt about not shaving? In and of itself it is nothing, provided that the person is clean and correctly attried for the environment. Although I say this as I have a beard, but I work in a clinical setting so I'm meeting members of the public all day and I would think nothing of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

reason Im posting this is that while in Tesco tonight I was served by a lad prob 24/25 who must have had about 3 days growth on his face. if i was his manager Id have given him the choice of A) Purchasing a packet of Gillett off the shelf or f*ckin off home for the rest of the day.
    He wasnt far off lookin like Chewie from Star wars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've sent people to shave in the past yes! First time I'd let it slide but after that it's off to shave. Anyway any sensible alco should keep a spare shaving kit at work!!!!!!!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The muslims always get away with growing beards in the workplace...

Voltex wrote: »
    reason Im posting this is that while in Tesco tonight I was served by a lad prob 24/25 who must have had about 3 days growth on his face. if i was his manager Id have given him the choice of A) Purchasing a packet of Gillett off the shelf or f*ckin off home for the rest of the day.

Build a bridge

Odysseus wrote: »
    What is unkempt about not shaving? In and of itself it is nothing, provided that the person is clean and correctly attried for the environment. Although I say this as I have a beard, but I work in a clinical setting so I'm meeting members of the public all day and I would think nothing of it

Beards are gross..full Stop. bet you wear a beard cover in your clinical setting?...and why???...cause its gross!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Did it impact on the way you were served?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Getting worked up because of some stubble? No offense, but you sound very stuck-up.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Did it impact on the way you were served?
    It left an impression...and not a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

maybe it was designer stubble, maybe you should mind your own business

jerseyeire wrote: »
    I've sent people to shave in the past yes! First time I'd let it slide but after that it's off to shave. Anyway any sensible alco should keep a spare shaving kit at work!!!!!!!

Out of interest in what type of work environment? I know what I would be telling my boss if they tried that.

Getting worked up because of some stubble? No offense, but you sound very stuck-up.
    If i was worked up I would have asked to see the manager...it was an observation and an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

No, I'm pretty sure people with beards can work just as well as people without, it's stupid of you to think otherwise, or think less of someone because they haven't shaven.

Out of interest in what type of work environment? I know what I would be telling my boss if they tried that.
    5 mins of glory?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In Tesco nope but depends on the job.

I'm wear a suit everyday and would meet customers etc days I have meetings I wet shave and days I dont have meetings I use an electric razor.

But I wouldn't be allowed go to a meeting if I was unkempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hotels. If it was somewhere that wasn't dealing with the public face to face I wouldn't give a flying.........

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

It left an impression...and not a good one.

And I'm sure you are the epitome of perfection? :rolleyes:

Beards are gross..full Stop. bet you wear a beard cover in your clinical setting?...and why???...cause its gross!

I don't actually no need to as I'm a psychotherapist. If you are talking about surgeons, they also wear masks and hats, is hair on your head gross as well?

Pygmalion wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure people with beards can work just as well as people without, it's stupid of you to think otherwise, or think less of someone because they haven't shaven.

Its not about beards per se...its about the in between bit where they just look scruffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

The guy was working in Tesco, who gives a sh*t, im not sayin working in Tescos is anything to look down on but fu*k it, did it affect how he served you? stuck up is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paperorplastic

Unkempt? Like strolling in to work and doing a really bad impression of Ross Kemp? That would be a step too far. Shoot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

If i was worked up I would have asked to see the manager...it was an observation and an opinion.

Might have been more useful than starting a thread about it here. But what if they were unshaven too:confused:

nummnutts wrote: »
    And I'm sure you are the epitome of perfection? :rolleyes:
    Subjective wouldnt ya say!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Unless your job is to pose for a Gillette ad to show how close the shave is then it shouldn't matter at all if you have a clean shaven face or a thousand days of growth.

• Advertisement

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Hotels. If it was somewhere that wasn't dealing with the public face to face I wouldn't give a flying.........

I dealing with the public all day, supplying a service to people who need it. My beard does not offend or make my service any less professional or presentable.

Advertisement