Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worker arrives in unkempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If he's being that lacks with shaving, what other basic hygiene is he not doing?

I've had to get people to shave. Not a full beard off, but 5 o'clock shadow. You want to be messy, do it on your own time.

How is not shaving not keeping basic hygiene, provided you had a shower but you go to work?

What do you mean you "had to get people to shave" If my one of bosses tried tried to tell me to shave I be reporting them. I deal with the public, attend meetings and give talks/lectures all with facial hair. When I have a full beard or its in the in between stage.

The idea of sending some home from work for not shaving is laughable, it sounds to me that people who engage in this type of behaviour are just power tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If he's being that lacks with shaving, what other basic hygiene is he not doing?

What exactly is unhygienic about having a beard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Voltex wrote: »
    If you were a boss...would you send a worker home if he (or she) arrives in without shaving?

Have you ever seen it in a contract? Shaving specifically?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

BostonB wrote: »
    Have you ever seen it in a contract? Shaving specifically?

Yes and it's usually followed by beards must be kept tidied, very common in the hotel industry

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

what it comes down to is if you are the public face of a company...be it whatever...Id fully expect you to be neat, clean shaven and dressed smartly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It just sickens me that some people have these absurd hang-ups about beards and facial hair. It's all perfectly natural.

Presently I have about a weeks worth of growth. Nobody in my job says anything to me. If they did I certainly wouldn't be happy.
    This notion that every man should shave every day is ridiculous. Most of the time it's not physically possible (unless you don't like keeping the skin on your face :pac:) but other than that people have a choice.

As for this idea of "growing a beard in your own time"... WTF. How the hell is that possible. Seriously. Do you expect people to just detach their facial hair when they go to work and put it back on again when they get home? :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 squink

Several of the women in my office arrive in every day unshaved - some of them have quite a bit of stubble in places you can see - like their face. I dont know whether to tick them off over this - or to insist that they be as polite as the Muslim women in our office and wear face veils.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

When I had a beard I grew it during my holidays

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Now, i do have facial hair, but i grew it in my own time
    How do you get it to stop growing when you're in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm with the op, people should look respectable if they are dealing with the public. And in my opinion that includes facial hair. No problem with a proper kept beard but unkempt look is bad.
    Also just to say i have seen this included as a term in a contract in section regarding appearance, in many places if you want to grow a beard it has to be done on your own time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe he had been growing it during his lunch breaks over the last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

cruizer101 wrote: »
    if you want to grow a beard it has to be done on your own time.

lol...and some posters still post this sh1te :D

I'm going to get a banning for this but quite simply...the Op is a fcuking idiot....hopefully's he's sterile so he doesn't pass his stupidity on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

I really dont give a fidlers fart whats said about me or my opinion its what boards is about...diversity of opinion!!...but the fact you have made reference to my children does. Im lookin for a Mod to remove that post now pls.

Won't someone please think of the children :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

what it comes down to is if you are the public face of a company...be it whatever...Id fully expect you to be neat, clean shaven and dressed smartly.

So basically you're saying you expect that every worker in every company who has any dealings with the public shouldn't have a beard?

It shoulds like you have a phobia relating to facial hair.

Perhaps you might want to talk to a trained professional?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

So basically you're saying you expect that every worker in every company who has any dealings with the public shouldn't have a beard?

It shoulds like you have a phobia relating to facial hair.

Perhaps you might want to talk to a trained professional?

That might be difficult alot of us have beards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

For not shaving? hell no, that is a seriously sickening thing to hear from your boss... "did you shave today" No I didn't... big swinging mickeys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The OP sounds like his greetings are either:

a) 'I say fellows, greetings all round!'

b) 'All roysh chaps, how are we all today? Focking stock market up I take it?'

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The saddest thing about this is the fact that the OP has actually reproduced and his/her spawn will ensure such stupidity will live on for another generation at least.

Fingers crossed they turn out to be crusty hippies ;)

OP, how do you feel about female workers in skirts with some leg stubble? Should they be sent home too?

Cut the guy some slack. He works in Tesco. He wasn't representing you in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Arathorn wrote: »
    maybe it was designer stubble, maybe you should mind your own business

I called it that and she laughed at me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Yeah, people with beards never amount to anything... look at this lot of losers with beards, all they did with their miserable unkept lives was change the world...

Some Beardies

Try growing a beard, its liberating! Shaving sucks and if a poor young fella on a min wage can't afford the €24+ ripoff price for blades then leave him alone!

:\

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Yes and it's usually followed by beards must be kept tidied, very common in the hotel industry

Hows that work. How can you have a beard if you have to shave?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Oh and this fella too...

El Jobso

His stupid beard will never let him run a company! And that phone of his will never catch on........................!!!

tut... get over it, they are cool! :)

And not forgetting Pres Lincon, Spielberg, George Lucas... there are many more great people with beards that have changed the world... maybe this young fella working in tesco is on a journey... just because he's working in tesco now doesn't mean he's not meant for greatness! As long as he washes, wears his uniform and does his job to the best of his ability WHO GIVES A F...... if he has a little stubble!

DG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can wash hair, whether it's it's on your face, head or wherever.

You're confusing hygiene with pre-conceived notions of acceptable appearance.

I bought stuff in Tesco tonight actually. I used the self-service machine. If it had a light-covering of hair, I'd fine with as long as I could use it to buy stuff. If it smelled bad, I wouldn't. Same applies to human service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Beards are gross..full Stop.

It's a ****ing beard, not pubes.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't understand why some people think beards are unacceptable, it's like long hair on guys, once it's clean and tidy, why should it matter?

You're entitled to your own opinion, if you don't think it looks good, that's fair enough, but your opinion isn't fact.

(And I don't have a beard or long hair btw :p)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Subjective wouldnt ya say!

Not really, no. Sometimes leave the beard grow a bit, other times I have a shave.

Try get your head out of your árse and appreciate facial hair diversity. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Dord wrote: »
    Seriously. Do you expect people to just detach their facial hair when they go to work and put it back on again when they get home? :confused::D

Yeah, obviously. D'uh. :P

I'm gonna order some of these just in case the OP comes into my place of work. I advise everyone else to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ugh. OP is the reason that God doesn't talk to us anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

Would you like a bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I haven't shaved my full face in a over a year. In a few weeks I'll be doing Movember again.

I often leave stubble and trim twice a week but don't shave, or I might to a tight beard that runs from my side burns to my jaw line and goatie.

Some people like it, others don't. The owner of the venue doesn't mind, I dress respectable when in work, doesn't effect my dealings with clients or customers and I make money. No problem there.

Advertisement