Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty - Exit Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

breakingnews.ie has a poll with 908 votes tied at 46% each. The bookies still seem convinced it will easily pass

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I also hope if the Yes vote wins the government does not try and claim that this is a sign of support for them. I think they're the most incompetent shower of corrupt wasters ever let run a country and I hope to see the last of them at the next general election.

Absolutely. IMO you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on these boards advocating a yes vote today who'd also advocate keeping the government in power.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

prinz wrote: »
    Absolutely. IMO you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on these boards advocating a yes vote today who'd also advocate keeping the government in power.

Indeed, if only Nama had happened after a few weeks after the Anglo-Irish treaty the civil war might never have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

I made my own "maybe" box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

No. Voted at 9 this morning. They said voting was slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

cornbb wrote: »
    Hooray! Good for you man. And don't worry, the yes and no sides will quickly be reunited, whatever the outcome, to get the government the hell outta office :)

thats one thing we all agree on

amen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'm heading off to vote shortly, and it's a definite YES (as it was in Lisbon 1 also).

Was briefly tempted to change my vote to a No, as I agreed with the "No means No" argument and am not convinced there's much of substance in the "guarantees" Ireland got.

However, the campaigning on the No side really turned me against it. Not sure which side has muddied the waters more, but it seemed to me that the claims of the No side seemed more far-fetched than those on the Yes side (i.e. I don't think that voting Yes will bring about more jobs or economic recovery, but I think it's more likely to do so than it is to reduce the minimum wage to €1.85 or be the deathknell for democracy (incidentally, didn't we have democracy before 1916?). Anyway, I personally think it's only fair that Germany and France should have a bigger say in Europe than we do.

Similarly those behind the No vote made me too suspicious of their motives. The only one I respect in any way is Joe Higgins. I despise Sinn Fein, and don't know who exactly Libertas and Coir are, but I don't like what my instinct is telling me about them.

The final nail in the coffin of any No vote I might have cast was when I opened the Irish Indo yesterday and saw those two incomprehensible ads. What on earth were they about?

Peckham wrote: »
    incidentally, didn't we have democracy before 1916?

i could swear I read in history books in school that Greeks invented democracy back few thousand years ago, last i checked Greece was in Europe

i suppose Ganley didnt read the same history and geography books in his school

:cool:

them libertas posters are a terrible joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 motherFocker

Peckham wrote: »
    I'm heading off to vote shortly, and it's a definite YES (as it was in Lisbon 1 also).

Was briefly tempted to change my vote to a No, as I agreed with the "No means No" argument and am not convinced there's much of substance in the "guarantees" Ireland got.

However, the campaigning on the No side really turned me against it. Not sure which side has muddied the waters more, but it seemed to me that the claims of the No side seemed more far-fetched than those on the Yes side (i.e. I don't think that voting Yes will bring about more jobs or economic recovery, but I think it's more likely to do so than it is to reduce the minimum wage to €1.85 or be the deathknell for democracy (incidentally, didn't we have democracy before 1916?). Anyway, I personally think it's only fair that Germany and France should have a bigger say in Europe than we do.

Similarly those behind the No vote made me too suspicious of their motives. The only one I respect in any way is Joe Higgins. I despise Sinn Fein, and don't know who exactly Libertas and Coir are, but I don't like what my instinct is telling me about them.

The final nail in the coffin of any No vote I might have cast was when I opened the Irish Indo yesterday and saw those two incomprehensible ads. What on earth were they about?

My man. Forget about all the idiots on either side and stick to your principles. Just coz one tool says no and another tool says yes, they have nothing to do with the core issue at hand. Democracy. Goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

notGill wrote: »
    I made my own "maybe" box

LOL . . You read my mind . . :D

Reasons to vote no:

1. I will not be shocked or scared into voting yes because I want ireland to be in europe
    2. I will not be guilted into voting yes because "europes been good to me"
    3. I will not vote yes because we will be isolated with a no vote

Reasons to Vote yes:

1. I will not be told that I will loose control of my country without proper, factual proof that this is a definite
    2. I will not be feared into a no vote because of shocking minimum wage posters
    3. I will not vote no because of things that arent in it, that have nothing to do with the treaty.

For me, its not an open and shut case . . One thing I wont do is trust what I am being told by either "campaigns" as these Campaigns are not about educating, they are about convincing . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

My man. Forget about all the idiots on either side and stick to your principles. Just coz one tool says no and another tool says yes, they have nothing to do with the core issue at hand. Democracy. Goodluck.
    rabble rabble rabble.

Good luck.

Democracy. Goodluck.

R.I.P

Irish Democracy 1916-2009

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Voted no, as I did the last time

Rb wrote: »
    rabble rabble rabble.

Good luck.

Are still reading that Treaty?:)

Are still reading that Treaty?:)
    No, I'm reading something that actually does make me fear for the future of this country:
    Your posts

:pac:

No, I'm reading something that actually does make me fear for the future of this country:
    Your posts

:pac:

LOL. Nice. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I reserve my right to NOT say how i voted!
    but may i introduce the Irish people to Their next President?
    I wonder will President Mc Aleese have to move into a B&B during his visits?and that Cherie wan will most likely change the Curtains for starters!:pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

What's going on with the poll? Surging ahead with yes's.

I have a theory on it actually. I've noticed the absence of a lot of very vocal 'no' side supporters over the last month or so, I'm thinking of a few names in my head, but don't want to say them. Is it possible that they have quietly converted to 'yes' but not had the same Damascene type conversion that Rb had? Maybe they just quietly decided not to argue for a 'No' any more, and vote yes in the privacy of their own consciences.

That or the shills are no longer on salary...

@ynotdu: You can choose to not tell us, but it's blatantly obvious, unless this is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

No Means No, voted and then got some of the older neighbours down to the polling centre too.

• Advertisement

What's going on with the poll? Surging ahead with yes's.

I have a theory on it actually. I've noticed the absence of a lot of very vocal 'no' side supporters over the last month or so, I'm thinking of a few names in my head, but don't want to say them. Is it possible that they have quietly converted to 'yes' but not had the same Damascene type conversion that Rb had? Maybe they just quietly decided not to argue for a 'No' any more, and vote yes in the privacy of their own consciences.

That or the shills are no longer on salary...

They are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Yes indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

I believe in you, Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

PrivateEye wrote: »
    No Means No, voted and then got some of the older neighbours down to the polling centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just to retain a glimmer of hope for those on the No side, have a look at the poll on breakingnews.ie

sample size is over 1000, and at the time of posting this it's completly even between the 2 sides

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They are working.
    I'm manipulating the figures behind the scenes.... (sorry, couldnt resist ... thats for the CTers out there).

There are any number of reasons why the numbers might fluctuate. I'm sticking to my 53/47 prediction.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

@ynotdu: You can choose to not tell us, but it's blatantly obvious, unless this is a joke.

;)

ynotdu wrote: »
    I reserve my right to NOT say how i voted!
    but may i introduce the Irish people to Their next President?

all hail our new (male) president!

:p

Just to retain a glimmer of hope for those on the No side, have a look at the poll on breakingnews.ie

sample size is over 1000, and at the time of posting this it's completly even between the 2 sides

their poll or their script is broken

i voted twice trice on that site now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Diom wrote: »

I don't "get" this to be honest?

My family always do this, in elections too. 7 or 8 older neighbours. Pretty standard grassroots affair, not a million miles from the days of the 'Sinn Fein Bus' (I remember the 'Gus Bus' too, as a local councillor called it!)

If you're implying it was a xenophobic vote, considering I'm a committed anti-fascist, then nope. It was two fingers to an undemocratic referendum, two fingers to IBEC and their endorsement of a Treaty they feel would 'liberalise education', and two fingers to a certain CEO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement