Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty - Exit Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Didnt stop Coir sticking two big aboriton posters outside the polling station in thurles...

:(

Reminds me of the David Attenborough documentaries where the fallen gazelle kicks out with its last breath before dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

And the funny thing is that a lot of what Jim Corr says is actually sane....

Until...

'And that's when North America (which will be a single state with Canada and Mexico) will then unite with Europe and then the microchips...'

The yes side were wise to keep Dick Roche under wraps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

this is weird..first time I have seen a lisbon poll on the internet that is not heavily in favour of the no...(well except the athiest lisbon poll.)

Now I am seeing not one but four at the same time... And its just over an hour from closing.

Not much to get excited over I know, its only an internet poll.

Hi,ya BlitzKrieg,Four polls on the net?
    I only know of this one and politics.ie(site i would not touch with a bargepole!)

Be great if you could do some quick sums after polls close and average out(approx)the results of all four?
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

The Yes vote is doing well here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hi,ya BlitzKrieg,Four polls on the net?

Well they were the one's mentioned on this thread. Two on facebook and the one on breakingnews.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

last minute i changed and voted yes, surely all the parties agreeing one thing clicked with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

turgon wrote: »
    Were having excellent weather all day here in Cork. I think the higher the turnout the better for the Yes side.

It was a nice day here in Galway but it's got pretty nasty and drizzle in the last few hours, may put off a few people who were going to vote later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Didnt stop Coir sticking two big aboriton posters outside the polling station in thurles...

So Thurles has its own Coir contingent, not too big a shock I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Just back. Voted Yes. Polling station out my way in Kildare seemed to be doing brisk... er... business? Plenty of people coming in and out. I played a game of guess the vote for a bit. Cynically judging books by their covers. I think we're winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I want a No vote to win tomorrow primarily so I can have this as my signature for the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I voted yes. But Im not convinced yes is the right answer. In a democracy everyone should have a vote, that means everyone in europe.

Good luck to the Czechs. May democracy rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Wooo-Hooooo! 10pm on 2nd October, 2009! Good riddance to one of the most despicable periods I've ever seen in Irish politics.

I don't mean that to be a post of me counting chickens on the Yes vote winning, btw; I'm just glad to see the back of that horrible referendum.

ian_m wrote: »
    I voted yes. But Im not convinced yes is the right answer. In a democracy everyone should have a vote, that means everyone in europe.

Interesting. You could have voted no if that is what you actually feel.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

nd wrote: »
    Are the results of the 2008 polls still up somewhere?
    Yes, we dont remove valid content. I have been too busy to look for the previous Lisbon results though and i didnt think a quick search for "lisbon Vote" would yield anything...

DeV.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I want a No vote to win tomorrow primarily so I can have this as my signature for the next few months.

Vote Yes to avoid dated cultural references.

Polls are closed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I voted yes. I know fcuk all about pollitics but In any of the debates I've listened to, the 'yes' campaigners seemed to have stronger arguments.
    However I do worry about our neutrality and what it could mean for our soldiers. It's ok saying we don't have to get involved in other wars but what if other countries say... 'why should we send our lads in when Ireland won't??'
    In saying that, what eventually made my mind up was the fact that all parties were pushing for a 'yes' vote (except for SF). They're all saying it's crucial for us for it to get through and that it'd be disastrous for the country if it's a 'no' vote. Bit scary that:eek: After listening to them all on the news last night I'd be afraid to vote 'no'.

Interesting. You could have voted no if that is what you actually feel.

I could have. But one choice had to be made out of two bad options. Either that or spoil a vote. FF will feel the force in the next GE, regardless of the outcome of Nice.

Give it two weeks and nobody will be talking about this referendum.

Again, best of luck to the Czechs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Ann22 wrote: »
    However I do worry about our neutrality and what it could mean for our soldiers. It's ok saying we don't have to get involved in other wars but what if other countries say... 'why should we send our lads in when Ireland won't??'.

Factor in the fact that Austria, Finland and Sweden (all EU members) are also neutral so Ireland wouldn't be isolated as it were. But its not going to happen, there is a stipulation in the Treaty respecting member state military stances. The sentence in question was oft misquoted by the No side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Representative democracy involves electing people to make decisions on our behalf.

This isn't ancient Athens, we don't do a show of hands for every decision !

Dave! wrote: »
    Representative democracy involves electing people to make decisions on our behalf.

I'm not happy with who was elected.

• Advertisement

I'm not happy with who was elected.
    You're not happy with who was elected in Germany, France, Spain, Italy, etc.?!?

Dave! wrote: »

I suppose you agree 100% with every decision our government makes then?

Hopefully the Czechs will delay, and Conservative Britain will crush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I suppose you agree 100% with every decision our government makes then?.

You missed the point. We did get a say in it through a quirk in our Constitution from a bygone era IMO. However Dave!'s post was about the ratification process abroad and as such has nothing to do with our government.

Hopefully the Czechs will delay, and Conservative Britain will crush it.
    No I don't agree with every decision they make, but I acknowledge that when they're elected they're given a mandate to make decisions on behalf of the electorate in the interest of the country. If they don't make the right impression during their term then they'll be f*cked out next time, that's how democracy works. I don't see what's so special about this bill that you think all of Europe should vote on it. Should we have a plebiscite for the next finance bill also?! Surely that affects us alot more directly than the Lisbon treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

So you have a problem with a democratic election of government?
    But you support a democratic referendum?
    Does not compute.
    In a democracy everyone should have a vote, that means everyone in europe

Jesus H, have we not gone over this thirty million times already? If other countries want a referendum, that's something they need to sort out with their own governments. It has nothing to do with the Treaty of Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Give it two weeks and nobody will be talking about this referendum...

If it's passed, which looks likely, I am sure that you will be proved right on that.

And our minimum wage will not be cut because of it, and there won't be an abortion clinic in your local hospital, and I won't be hiding away for fear of euthanasia, and we won't be going off to fight foreign wars, and our Corporation Tax rate won't be raised, and there will be no President of Europe.

The sky might fall in, though.

If it's passed, which looks likely, I am sure that you will be proved right on that.

And our minimum wage will not be cut because of it, and there won't be an abortion clinic in your local hospital, and I won't be hiding away for fear of euthanasia, and we won't be going off to fight foreign wars, and our Corporation Tax rate won't be raised, and there will be no President of Europe.

Funny, only one of those things scares me, and only because I don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Spot on. I really hope people remember this at the next referendum, the sky didn't fall in no matter how many times the No campaign said it would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

turgon wrote: »
    Factor in the fact that Austria, Finland and Sweden (all EU members) are also neutral so Ireland wouldn't be isolated as it were. But its not going to happen, there is a stipulation in the Treaty respecting member state military stances. The sentence in question was oft misquoted by the No side.
    TBH I can't see how the no side could expect us to fully protect our €200 billion worth of fish without massive investment in the navy and air crops

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement