Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty - Exit Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

There's only one poll that counts, which is why I never vote in these online things...

That's what I thought the last time but here we are again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Dont think Ireland will ever ever be given an opportunity to have a referendum on anything in Europe again if this goes through. Horse will be out the gate. Your innocence is charming though. Best of luck!

Yawn. Life will go on, all of your fears will be unfounded (the same fears that never materialised that you had before the last treaty, and the one before that, and the one before that...). See you during the next referendum debate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    YES|122|56.22%
    NO|95|43.78%

I hope it doesn't turn out like that. I put €20 on no :(

down to 55% now

time to go shop and get a few cans me thinks

Dont think Ireland will ever ever be given an opportunity to have a referendum on anything in Europe again if this goes through. Horse will be out the gate. Your innocence is charming though. Best of luck!

yeh those conscripting, aborting, euthanising (is that a word?) and god hating Germans will drag us into their 4th reich

or something like that

/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

EF wrote: »
    That's what I thought the last time but here we are again :D

Only 1 that counts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

cornbb wrote: »
    Yawn. Life will go on, all of your fears will be unfounded (the same fears that never materialised that you had before the last treaty, and the one before that, and the one before that...). See you during the next referendum debate ;)

Lisbon 3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 motherFocker

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    down to 55% now

time to go shop and get a few cans me thinks

yeh those conscripting, aborting, euthanising (is that a word?) and god hating Germans will drag us into their 4th reich

or something like that

/

Might be nice to have just a lil bit more of say in what we are dragged into though eh? maybe 1.2% more of a say?

Lisbon 3?

Win or lose, I don't believe there'll be a Lisbon 3. If the referendum isn't passed today the EU will have to fundamentally rethink how it reforms itself, who knows if/when the next treaty/referendum would be in that case. If the referendum is carried today, then life goes on, I guess the next EU treaty will be along whenever one is needed. I don't know if we will vote on it or not. I certainly hope not. The whole future of the EU hinging on a dishonest and seedy referendum campaign in Ireland is certainly not an ideal situation.

cornbb wrote: »
    Win or lose, I don't believe there'll be a Lisbon 3. If the referendum isn't passed today the EU will have to fundamentally rethink how it reforms itself, who knows if/when the next treaty/referendum would be in that case. If the referendum is carried today, then life goes on, I guess the next EU treaty will be along whenever one is needed. I don't know if we will vote on it or not. I certainly hope not. The whole future of the EU hinging on a dishonest and seedy referendum campaign in Ireland is certainly not an ideal situation.

You just may have missed the point on the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Might be nice to have just a lil bit more of say in what we are dragged into though eh? maybe 1.2% more of a say?
    Rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It's funny that you talk about his innocence when you've been taken in by one of the biggest lies of this campaign

Do you really believe that the Dail Seaned, Consilium, Commission, EU Parliament would stand idly by and let Ireland get a referendum again if there is anything that they could possibly do to change the current system. That's a lot of political opposition to the Irish right to vote.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    Rabble rabble rabble.

Your not still trying to read the Treaty are you?

YES|122|56.22%
    NO|95|43.78%

I hope it doesn't turn out like that. I put €20 on no :(

I was going to put E20 on yes, but didn't get around to it.

Is there somethig going on here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Do you really believe that the Dail Seaned, Consilium, Commission, EU Parliament would stand idly by and let Ireland get a referendum again if there is anything that they could possibly do to change the current system. That's a lot of political opposition to the Irish right to vote.

No I'm sure they would. My point is that voting yes to Lisbon does not change our position on referendums

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No, unless we vote yes in a referendum to allow any of the "Seaned, Consilium, Commission, EU Parliament" to alter our constitution as they see fit. :rolleyes:

You just may have missed the point on the last one.

The last what? I'm sorry if the fact that my opinions are grounded in reality (as opposed to Libertas posters and tabloid headlines) offends you.

No I'm sure they would. My point is that voting yes to Lisbon does not change our position on referendums

Oh that's true I suppose.

They could come to the conclusion that Ireland would be less likely to make a fuss if its vote is removed after Lisbon is ratified though.

I mean, just imagine if they remove Ireland's referendum to pass Lisbon III. Jasus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Your not still trying to read the Treaty are you?
    No, I'm happy enough with having read the consolidated version.

I would, however, suggest that you have a go at reading a book on English grammar :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I would, however, suggest that you have a go at reading a book on English grammar :)

Rb's Big Book of Grammar Nazi's is a fantastic read.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Oh that's true I suppose.

They could come to the conclusion that Ireland would be less likely to make a fuss if its vote is removed after Lisbon is ratified though.

I mean, just imagine if they remove Ireland's referendum to pass Lisbon III. Jasus!

I'd be delighted. I've better things to be doing with my time than telling people that the EU are not going to eat their babies :pac:

marco_polo wrote: »
    No, unless we vote yes in a referendum to allow any of the "Seaned, Consilium, Commission, EU Parliament" to alter our constitution as they see fit. :rolleyes:

I don't think this specifically requires a referendum to be passed. Most constitutional changes can occur in our Parliament or by High Court judgement. In fact, the most important changes to the Irish constitution throughout the history of the 20th century have been made exclusively by the government.

And I find it... disquieting that they hate us having a vote. What on earth makes them more qualified than us to make a decision pertaining to the constitution? The fact that most of them are teachers or accountant that have changed career?

• Advertisement

I'd be delighted. I've better things to be doing with my time than telling people that the EU are not going to eat their babies :pac:

If we never had elections we wouldn't have this silly party politics agendas and politicians telling fibs in order to get elected. And all the waste of time and money on general elections. Those silly, silly voters!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I don't think this specifically requires a referendum to be passed. Most constitutional changes can occur in our Parliament or by High Court judgement. In fact, the most important changes to the Irish constitution throughout the history of the 20th century have been made exclusively by the government.

The Irish Constitution, Bunreacht Na hÉireann cannot be altered without a referendum.

Article 46.2
    Every proposal for an amendment of this Constitution shall be initiated in Dáil Éireann as a Bill, and shall upon having been passed or deemed to have been passed by both Houses of the Oireachtas, be submitted by Referendum to the decision of the people in accordance with the law for the time being in force relating to the Referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think this specifically requires a referendum to be passed. Most constitutional changes can occur in our Parliament or by High Court judgement.
    No constitutional changes can occur without a referendum. That's part of the constitution.

You're probably thinking of the US, where the constitution can be amended without any input from the population.

The only time the high court can "change" the constitution is to make a ruling which alters the interpretation of a given article. The text cannot be changed without approval from the Irish people however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

up to 57% again

phew

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Care to elaborate on any of these "most important changes" ?

Not great at grammar. I think you missed a full stop at the end of your sentence though. Might be wrong. If so, apologies in advance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

yes. They're very strict about what is a valid vote and anything but a mark that indicates a clear preference can and will get scrapped.

Perhaps I shouldn't have drawn the picture of Brian Cowen in front of the firing squad then!

But in all seriousness I'm just back from the polling station and voted................Yes!

Now that's a big decision for me. I voted No the last time, have been a resounding No up till very recently. I'm also the son of a SF councillor, absolutely despise the current government and even have some reservations about the Lisbon Treaty. However after weeks of research I decided a yes vote is the right one in my opinion. I'd like to thank all the people on here who explained things in a concise and clear manner and helped me change my mind.

I'd also like to condemn the so called official "Yes" and "No" campaigns for focusing on lies and scare tactics instead of explaining the issues. Ye were absolutley useless!

I also hope if the Yes vote wins the government does not try and claim that this is a sign of support for them. I think they're the most incompetent shower of corrupt wasters ever let run a country and I hope to see the last of them at the next general election.

Now I'm off for a bit of dinner and some good old fashioned drinking! :D

Perhaps I shouldn't have drawn the picture of Brian Cowen in front of the firing squad then!

But in all seriousness I'm just back from the polling station and voted................Yes!

Now that's a big decision for me. I voted No the last time, have been a resounding No up till very recently. I'm also the son of a SF councillor, absolutely despise the current government and even have some reservations about the Lisbon Treaty. However after weeks of research I decided a yes vote is the right one in my opinion. I'd like to thank all the people on here who explained things in a concise and clear manner and helped me change my mind.

I'd also like to condemn the so called official "Yes" and "No" campaigns for focusing on lies and scare tactics instead of explaining the issues. Ye were absolutley useless!

I also hope if the Yes vote wins the government does not try and claim that this is a sign of support for them. I think they're the most incompetent shower of corrupt wasters ever let run a country and I hope to see the last of them at the next general election.

Now I'm off for a bit of dinner and some good old fashioned drinking! :D

Hooray! Good for you man. And don't worry, the yes and no sides will quickly be reunited, whatever the outcome, to get the government the hell outta office :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I also hope if the Yes vote wins the government does not try and claim that this is a sign of support for them.

I don't think anyone, no matter what their voting persuasion would let them away with that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

WOOOOOOHH! I'm off to vote um..oh yeah: YES!

Seriously hope FF get slaughtered in the next general election. That is one vote I am really looking forward to :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement