Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Ok so I am looking for a sci-fi movie where some scientists of some sort are on a spaceship and have some sort of solid (ice?) thing in a lab and they are trying to find out what it is. It seems to send signals using binary code. I haven't watched the movie to the end so I don't know what was in the solid thing. They were trying to get it out. It's like the movie The Thing (2011) but it takes place on a spaceship and is much more scary. thanks in advance. btw it's an old movie I think. Before 2000

Doesn't look quite right but this ticks the boxes of: Spaceship, space, and ice! :p

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 AeroplanikO

Doesn't look quite right but this ticks the boxes of: Spaceship, space, and ice! :p

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/

Not even close :D
    The movie I want is newer than all those..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Ok so I am looking for a sci-fi movie where some scientists of some sort are on a spaceship and have some sort of solid (ice?) thing in a lab and they are trying to find out what it is. It seems to send signals using binary code. I haven't watched the movie to the end so I don't know what was in the solid thing. They were trying to get it out. It's like the movie The Thing (2011) but it takes place on a spaceship and is much more scary. thanks in advance. btw it's an old movie I think. Before 2000

I did not see anyone mention this yet Alien Hunter (2003)?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327409/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JyWs5gXde0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 AeroplanikO

Tindie wrote: »
    I did not see anyone mention this yet Alien Hunter (2003)?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327409/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JyWs5gXde0

Way to go sir. You found it. How can I return the favor? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Way to go sir. You found it. How can I return the favor? :)

I just clad it was the right movie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Worztron wrote: »
    French movie. May have been late 90s or early 2000s. I saw it a few years ago. A French guy works in an office doing tedious work such as photocopying, he hates the way everyone looks down on him. He is later working in a bar. He aims to kill some gang boss in a multistory building.

Found it today by change. It was 'Read My Lips [Sur mes lèvres] (2001)'.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

barr toco wrote: »
    hi all,
    i seen this movie a few years ago, it starts out as a german family in ww2,
    focused on the young woman, i dont remember much of the movie but i do remember she struggles to survive as the russian soldiers close into germany, she is raped many times by russian soldiers,
    if anyone knows the name of this movie please.

I wonder could it be the film "The Joy Division"? Was made a few years ago.

radia wrote: »
    No, that's not it. It's much less modern, and just set in one room. But thanks!

It's not La più bella serata della mia vita because it was definitely an English or American film. But it seems almost certain that it was a different film version of Die Panne. I must be able to pin it down with that! You're an absolute star - thank you so much!

I saw what appears to have been a tv version of that film you saw in the early 80s which seems to date from that time. The main character had a moustache and appeared to be an American. The 3 retired men appeared to be English. I am sorry to say I have no idea of the name of it.

There was a movie I saw years ago . It was an asian style cartoon or a manga film but on during the day for kids. It was about a kid and his father . I think the father was a farmer or workman who toiled away for the land owner .
    The kid did no work but instead played with his pet deer and or other animals. the kid also had a ribbon that he played with .I think it ends up with the land owner trying to kill the kids' father but the kid sacrifices (falls on the sword) himself for his dad. and i remember a scene with the deer running to the child with the ribbon/magic ribbon to try to save him .

It must have been 25 yrs ago now and on rte or one of the old channels one afternoon .Ive googled many times to try to find it to no avail.
    at this stage im starting to thing i dreamt it .
    anyone have any ideas ?

That sounds very very like a film called Nezha Conquers the Dragon King.

He was the son of the Chinese king (not a land labourer) and the young boy fought against evil Dragons. It was made in China in 1979 and shown on RTE television in either May or June 1984. He also had a magic sword and burning wheels of fire would appear on his feet and magic throwing rings.

radia wrote: »
    No, that's not it. It's much less modern, and just set in one room. But thanks!

It's not La più bella serata della mia vita because it was definitely an English or American film. But it seems almost certain that it was a different film version of Die Panne. I must be able to pin it down with that! You're an absolute star - thank you so much!

A 1982 film by the name of Deadly Game http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083802/

• Advertisement

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    A film I saw yeaaars ago about a serial killer who murdered according to some book. It is sort of like se7en i think. It's driving me mad.

Would it be The Bone Collector? Denzil Washington was in it.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145681/

ianhmoore wrote: »
    Hi, guessing this movies is possibly late 70's or early 80's. I only remember certain scenes from it, but it's doing my head in.

Set on board an airplane

1: A large crack/subsiding floor in the passanger cabin.

2: Co pilot or cabin crew go into the hold, all the animals are frozen in their crates.

3: Image of a doll with a burning or melting face.

4: People are gathered around a table burning money to try and stay warm.

Sound familiar to anyone at all?

That would be The Horror at 37,000 Feet from 1973. Chuck Conners and William Shatner. Saw it in the 1980s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068715/

Just wondering can someone help me with these films.

First was a short film shown in 1984 from either the US or Canada, about a young Chinese American/Canadian boy who is not getting on well with his father who is a business man who owns a Chinese restaurant. The boy after school must attend a "Chinese school" about Chinese culture.

The boy gets grounded one day when his family are away and only himself and the grandfather are in the house. The old grandfather teaches him Chinese painting. The old man dies a few days later and the boy takes up painting and father and son are reconciled.

Second film is a thriller from the 1970s I think. I remember a scene in which a boy is up on a mountain minding sheep, in which appears to be a Mediterranean country. (I am thinking Italy for some reason but I could be wrong.) Two men in suits approach him one of whom is a strong looking man with large dark glasses. The large man graps the boy lifts him over his head and throws him off the mountain to his death. (Very shocking I know.)

I remember another scene from the same film I think in which the hero (wearing a dark suit and fedora type hat) is being chased through the city by the villains after a dramatic chase he escapes by jumping of a building and losing his hat.

Would be greatfull if anyone can name these films.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone know this one?

It's something of a coming of age movie set in 60's L.A. and follows a young guitarist as he fumbles his way through bands, romantic affairs and life in general. Throughout the movie he plays bluesy rock out into the valley at night and is occasionally joined by another guitarist playing back at him. Been trying to identify this one for years, one of those "came in pissed and watched a late-night movie on Channel 4" moments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

So happy I found this thread, didn't know it existed.

I had a flashback to this movie when I was trying to go to sleep last night, and now I am dying to find out what it is!

Okay, I think it must be an 80s movie or earlier, it was definitely on as the RTE weekend matinee a good few times in the early 90s. I have vague memories of it, but it absolutely terrified me. I think it is about a family that move into a house where there is already a family of ghosts living. Or maybe they are the ghosts, I'm not sure. I think there were some kinds of cheesy special effects, like levitation or electricity or something, and I seem to remember there were the parents and a teenage daughter and possibly she had a little brother.

I used to watch it for a while, get scared and turn the TV off, then turn it back on. Now I would love to find it again, but I have no idea what it's called. Any ideas? (Sorry, this is very vague, but it's from YEARS ago.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

coconut5 wrote: »

I had a flashback to this movie when I was trying to go to sleep last night, and now I am dying to find out what it is!

Okay, I think it must be an 80s movie or earlier, it was definitely on as the RTE weekend matinee a good few times in the early 90s. I have vague memories of it, but it absolutely terrified me. I think it is about a family that move into a house where there is already a family of ghosts living. Or maybe they are the ghosts, I'm not sure. I think there were some kinds of cheesy special effects, like levitation or electricity or something, and I seem to remember there were the parents and a teenage daughter and possibly she had a little brother.

I used to watch it for a while, get scared and turn the TV off, then turn it back on. Now I would love to find it again, but I have no idea what it's called. Any ideas? (Sorry, this is very vague, but it's from YEARS ago.)

Not Beetlejuice is it?

Not Beetlejuice is it?

No, I have the impression that it's a lot older than Beetlejuice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Is it 'The Amazing Mr Blunden'? It was about a family who move into a mansion haunted by a boy and girl and I think a baby brother. They travel back in time to save them, great film.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Is it 'The Amazing Mr Blunden'? It was about a family who move into a mansion haunted by a boy and girl and I think a baby brother. They travel back in time to save them, great film.

No, it definitely seemed like an American movie, and probably not as old as that one. For some reason, I feel like it is some sort of hybrid of The Addams Family/Mary Poppins in my head. I think there was some kind of woman with long black hair and a crystal ball that levitates at some stage. I always got scared at that point.

What about Poltergeist http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084516/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I was going to say Poltergeist too. Failing that maybe one of the Amityville series?

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I was going to say Poltergeist too. Failing that maybe one of the Amityville series?

I think it was more of a family film - kind of a comedy with a little bit of horror, like 'Hocus Pocus' or something. But I only have the slightest idea about what the movie was, sorry I can't remember more! Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I doubt any of those movies would have been on rte as matinees even though some of them were PG

Would it be High Spirits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Any chance it's The Watcher in the Woods?

Kolido wrote: »
    I doubt any of those movies would have been on rte as matinees even though some of them were PG

Would it be High Spirits?

It's definitely something similiar to this, but I'm still not sure...

Ah well, it will remain a mystery I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ianhmoore

ruadhri44 wrote: »
    That would be The Horror at 37,000 Feet from 1973. Chuck Conners and William Shatner. Saw it in the 1980s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068715/

Yup, that's the movie alright! Really looks aged and dated now! Thanks for finding it, been bugging me for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Anyone know this one?

It's something of a coming of age movie set in 60's L.A. and follows a young guitarist as he fumbles his way through bands, romantic affairs and life in general. Throughout the movie he plays bluesy rock out into the valley at night and is occasionally joined by another guitarist playing back at him. Been trying to identify this one for years, one of those "came in pissed and watched a late-night movie on Channel 4" moments!
    Embarrassingly enough, I asked about this one on this forum about 6 years ago and got an answer: it's Sunset Strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

guys i have been trying to find a film i seen years ago.

all i can remember from it is a boy goes into a computer game
    and fights machines similar to transformers
    its a 80/90s film.

anyone have any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

dunworth1 wrote: »
    guys i have been trying to find a film i seen years ago.

all i can remember from it is a boy goes into a computer game
    and fights machines similar to transformers
    its a 80/90s film.

anyone have any ideas

Think it might be called "The Wizzard" from 1989"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Think it might be called "The Wizzard" from 1989"

Thats about a video game contest I think, what they said sounds more like Arcade:

Advertisement