Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Harrison Bergeron
    with Sean Astin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113264/

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

A TV series from a while (25+) years back.

Set in the 1800s, as far as I remember, about a (Scottish) shepherd travelling about and working in New Zealand. He has a sheep dog with him. Is also very religious and always carries a bible. At one point, he is falsely accused of a crime and arrested as he lies in bed. He reaches under the pillow for his bible but is prevented from doing so, and it is confiscated. I think his dog is also taken from him. Later, he is cleared / released.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RayCun wrote: »

Ya, must be it. James Cosmo doesn't show up on IMDB for it strangely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

trying to find the name of a film, recent enough, last few years I'd say, about time travellers, think it was an Indy film, basically time travelling isnt all it might seem, I think the protagonists built the time machine possibly in their garage, not funny, sinister and dark.

1874 wrote: »
    trying to find the name of a film, recent enough, last few years I'd say, about time travellers, think it was an Indy film, basically time travelling isnt all it might seem, I think the protagonists built the time machine possibly in their garage, not funny, sinister and dark.
    Primer ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Hot tub time machine? It's not funny. I wouldn't say sinister and dark though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

That's it, I need to look that up, astonished it was made in 2004, only heard of it in the last few years

• Advertisement

Looking for two things, both from the seventies or early eighties and I THINK they were episodes in "Tales of the Unexpected" type shows, both British:

1. A guy gets lost and arrives in a small remote village where all is not what it seems. He befriends a local girl who tells him that all their food and clothes "comes from boxes", he eventually realizes that the "boxes" are coffins and the village is sustained by graverobbing/cannibalism.

2. A guy goes to visit a woman at a country house for the weekend and, on arrival, is greeted by her sister. I think the sister is trying to convince him that the woman he's visiting is mad. Whichever of them is the mad one manages to lure him into the basement and keep him there for a few hours? days? and stabs him repeatedly without killing him. Eventually he's rescued and I remember a doctor explaining to the policeman (?) assistant that he will never recover mentally.

Sorry that they're vague and if I'm remembering them wrong :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Looking for two things, both from the seventies or early eighties and I THINK they were episodes in "Tales of the Unexpected" type shows, both British:

1. A guy gets lost and arrives in a small remote village where all is not what it seems. He befriends a local girl who tells him that all their food and clothes "comes from boxes", he eventually realizes that the "boxes" are coffins and the village is sustained by graverobbing/cannibalism.

2. A guy goes to visit a woman at a country house for the weekend and, on arrival, is greeted by her sister. I think the sister is trying to convince him that the woman he's visiting is mad. Whichever of them is the mad one manages to lure him into the basement and keep him there for a few hours? days? and stabs him repeatedly without killing him. Eventually he's rescued and I remember a doctor explaining to the policeman (?) assistant that he will never recover mentally.

Sorry that they're vague and if I'm remembering them wrong :o

1st one is from the movie "The Monster Club"It's called "The Ghouls"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_Club

I remember the end of the movie explaining who "The Greatest Monster of all" is

Not sure of the second part, doesn't ring a bell with me

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ONY

Help identifying this one please:

There is a young man and woman in a car, another guy comes along and there is a reference to the second man being the son of Sam.

- I think they are parked near water / a bridge
    - There might have been two other women with the first and she decided to go with him
    - Think there was a car chase of some sort afterwards (possibly in a blackout)

It is not a movie about son of Sam, just one reference to him.

ONY wrote: »
    Help identifying this one please:

There is a young man and woman in a car, another guy comes along and there is a reference to the second man being the son of Sam.

- I think they are parked near water / a bridge
    - There might have been two other women with the first and she decided to go with him
    - Think there was a car chase of some sort afterwards (possibly in a blackout)

It is not a movie about son of Sam, just one reference to him.

maybe

Summer of Sam
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162677/

Tom

Not that one :( I think it’s just one scene from a more recent film, but that’s all I can remember. There might have been a bit of rioting / a blackout too, but it definitely wasn’t the film Blackout

The Mulk wrote: »
    1st one is from the movie "The Monster Club"It's called "The Ghouls"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_Club

THANK you, I thought ghouls were involved (for obvious reasons) but wasn't sure enough to say so! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

ONY wrote: »
    Not that one :( I think it’s just one scene from a more recent film, but that’s all I can remember. There might have been a bit of rioting / a blackout too, but it definitely wasn’t the film Blackout

It might be this, a tv series rather than a film. There was a power blackout followed by riots in the Bronx in 1977, it would have coincided with the Son Of Sam killing spree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronx_Is_Burning

It might be this, a tv series rather than a film. There was a power blackout followed by riots in the Bronx in 1977, it would have coincided with the Son Of Sam killing spree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronx_Is_Burning

Not that either I’m afraid :( It’s really bugging me now. I’m wondering is it a flashback scene from Forrest Gump...

darkdubh wrote: »
    I diden't see this movie in full but saw a clip of it on the MTV movie review show around 1991/92.It was an American indie film and the clip was set in either a high school or college class.The male teacher seemed to be having some kind of crisis or breakdown and I think he was just standing there while the pupils were all messing and playacting.This one guy in the class who I remember had glasses and was kind of nerdy looking goes up to the teacher and shouts into his face something like "for Gods sake teach us" and I think he(the pupil) might have then punched him or kicked him in the balls or something.

It's the opening scene from Hal Hartley's Surviving Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Saw it years ago the RTÉ last picture show

It’s black & white. A deaf & dumb girl lives with her parents in a coastal farming community. Everyone works hard and is poor

A local young guy rapes her when the parents are out. She becomes pregnant and her father goes mad because she refuses to give the name of the father. He later mellows and is a super grandparent

A few years later there is a confrontation between her father and the rapist and her father gets thrown off a cliff. I forgot how it ends

Any help appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Saw it years ago the RTÉ last picture show

It’s black & white. A deaf & dumb girl lives with her parents in a coastal farming community. Everyone works hard and is poor

A local young guy rapes her when the parents are out. She becomes pregnant and her father goes mad because she refuses to give the name of the father. He later mellows and is a super grandparent

A few years later there is a confrontation between her father and the rapist and her father gets thrown off a cliff. I forgot how it ends

Any help appreciated

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040495/?ref_=tt_urv

This I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Looks like it for sure, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yep, Correction is...um...correct. :pac:

It's definitely that. Only watched it recently myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

It is quite recent. a woman goes to work for a man doing some betting runs. She later has her own betting business. She gets arrested at one point and loses all. goes home to mother but gets back in business. I was only reading about it this morning

OK found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly%27s_Game

An old woman from the neighbourhood, living alone with her cat, (she might be some kind of witch). She falls foul of a street thug in a leather jacket with a motorbike who starts hassling her. One day, out on his bike, he sees her cat standing in the middle of the road. He tries to run it down but the cat scampers away at the last second to reveal a hidden stone, which he crashes into, injuring himself and damaging his bike. He takes revenge, maybe by burning down her house and killing her. The cat avenges her by killing the man in his bed and eating his tongue.

American TV series, I think, quite contemporary, don't know if it's Tales from the Dark side.

MfMan wrote: »
    An old woman from the neighbourhood, living alone with her cat, (she might be some kind of witch). She falls foul of a street thug in a leather jacket with a motorbike who starts hassling her. One day, out on his bike, he sees her cat standing in the middle of the road. He tries to run it down but the cat scampers away at the last second to reveal a hidden stone, which he crashes into, injuring himself and damaging his bike. He takes revenge, maybe by burning down her house and killing her. The cat avenges her by killing the man in his bed and eating his tongue.

American TV series, I think, quite contemporary, don't know if it's Tales from the Dark side.

No idea what that is but it sounds mental :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

an old science fiction or psychological thriller or a bit of both. people are at the table at a meal and someone or something is coming. the man fancied the woman but she rejected him but later she says if yopu take me home now you can stay the night. she was so scared of this whatever was about to happen she was willing to slep with him to get away. i don't know what was about to happen or if it was of this world or another. this would have been in the late sixties or early seventies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Streetwise couple take a withdrawn guy under their wing. The streetwise guy is revealed to have a terminal illness, and encounters his violent father. They play a game where they punch each others fists simultaneously and then one where they bash their heads together. The withdrawn guy is revealed to have been an obsessive stalker of the streetwise woman. Released during or before 2002, I’d guess around 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry this may be the wrong thread, but does anyone know how I can get or download films that never got a region 2 dvd release please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 LauraPalmer

So I watched a movie or tv series years ago and there’s only a few things I remember about it. I remember a teenage girl had asthma and she fell to the floor and tried to reach for her inhaler but a woman stepped on it breaking it.

I remember after the woman broke it she said “how clumsy of me”. There was also a ghost girl who brought the girl with Asthma back to life. At the end the ghost girl said to the woman who broke the girls inhaler “why did you push me?” And the next thing I remember was that the woman fell out of a window and died (I think)

At the beginning this woman was pretending to be a ghost in what I think was meant to be a haunted house but I’m really not sure.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Advertisement